If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Groups

An FF OriginalAn FF Original MemberFull Members
edited November 2003 in Site & Forum Support
Well, so far all I've seen for the Groups label is Member, New Member, and RPGamer Staff. I think, if it isn't too much hassle for Rico/mods, that it would be a good idea to allow boardies to set up their own groups... with discretion, of course.

What do the other boardies and mods think?

Comments

• King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Why the hell do you want another group? That's just like titles.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2003
    Seperate people and then have anothing thing for everyone else to gripe about? Why would we need other groups, these ones clearly delineate everything anyone needs to know. eh.gif
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Nov. 21 2003,08:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, so far all I've seen for the Groups label is Member, New Member, and RPGamer Staff. ?I think, if it isn't too much hassle for Rico/mods, that it would be a good idea to allow boardies to set up their own groups... with discretion, of course.

What do the other boardies and mods think?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You're just asking for cliques and the like to spring from the woodwork. Bad idea.
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Well, I've seem another group. If you want to be part of the Trolling Jerk on Probation group, I say go on! wink.gif
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    There's also the other reason why not to do so.

Groups are generally used in these types of forum setups to delinate permissioning. It's a way to give, let's say the RPGamer staff, all permission to moderate any of the forums. It's far swifter and less messy then permissioning each and every one individually. By keeping the group number small, this is less messy to deal with and fairly little work. By needlessly having dozens of groups, it becomes messy and more work for the admin squad.

Either way, my suggestion is: Stop yer whinin' and enjoy the forums they let us play on!

Dracos
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    No way I'm doing it unless one of the two people who can overrule me overrule me.
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Nov. 21 2003,14:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Either way, my suggestion is: Stop yer whinin' and enjoy the forums they let us play on![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't think I agree with this way of thinking. Every one of the boardies here are as important as anyone else. The RPGamer staff members are above us, yes. But they aren't just "leting us stay here". If they were to close the boards just for those they wanted too, this board would die. So everyone here have the right to complain if they don't agree with something, as these are discussion boards.

Of course, coming out with the same question over and over again can be a pain, but these guys are new here, so they don't know everything that has already been discussed, how to use the search button or even what is a stupid question. Let them learn and they will not bother anyone again. Until the next newbie asks the same question. There's nothing we can do about that, but treating then badly won't resolve a thing (not that you're treating them bad, but you understood what I said).
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
    edited November 2003
    Max:

There is stating a problem privately to the mods and then there is whining. If I walk into a new school and instantly complain that I don't have my own gang with matching black jackets, I'm whining. If I ask a teacher how to get to my next class, I am stating a problem and asking for help.

Yes, the boards would die if they cut us all out. Does this change the fact it's still their boards and they are letting us stay here in the exact fashion a party host does? A party ends when everyone leaves or when you throw everyone out, but regardless, the guy hosting it is still letting everyone play in his party. When you enter a party, do you immediately start questioning how things are set up? Suggest moving tables here and there? Or do you wait and try and see the reason they might be set that way?

That's really how I see newbie comments on this kind of stuff. It's whining because one came in and found things not how one wants them instead of trying to figure out why things are the way they are or privately asking. If they want to ask about features here, that wouldn't be whining, but suggesting reworking how the boards are because it'd be 'fun'... *Shrugs*

Edit: Note, I'd see being here two years and making the same comment in the same vein just as much whining about the way things are. It's not like the people in charge don't have direct ways to contact them without making a public ruckus.

Dracos

• bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I disagree

In my opinion RPGAMER is more dependent on we, the posters, than we the posters are of RPGAMER. Without us this site would be useless, but without RPGAMER, we could still play rpgs, and gather news about rpgs elsewhere. I come here because I enjoy the atmosphere and the people and it is a convenient source of info. And because RPGAMER is so dependent on the posters they should listen to everyone's input, idiotic or not. Some people have to realize that we are not all born with as much insight and wisdom as you are, so I guess you'll just have to bear with us. I mean what a wonderful world we could live in if we could learn to respect each other's opinions *sigh* but I guess I'll have to keep on dreaming.

\"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bebop007 @ Nov. 21 2003,14:08)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I disagree

In my opinion RPGAMER is more dependent on we, the posters, than we the posters are of RPGAMER. Without us this site would be useless.?.?.?.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'd note that there are 4,081 total message board members, and all of them are not frequent posters. ?In fact, there are quite a few that have never posted. ?This will sound callous, and it's not meant to trivialize the boards or insult any of you, but there are a whole, whole lot more than 4,081 people that visit the site daily. ?It's great to have an active board system, and I obviously value it quite a bit to have volunteered to administer it, but you're either writing something you don't really mean or have a vast overestimation of your own relative importance to the site's traffic.

Here's a quick quote from Alexa:
    "Where do people go on rpgamer.com?
    rpgamer.com ~ 97%
    board.rpgamer.com ~ 2%"
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    I was talking about everyone. I wasn't being self-important, as my opinions, as I'm sure everyone has noticed, definitely lean more towards the idiotic side. biggrin.gif Trust me, I realize that there are people that are light-years ahead of me in the intelligence department, but that doesn't give them the right to belittle or marginalize someone else's opinion.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
    edited November 2003
    Bebop:

I do believe you misinterpretted what I said and greatly misinterpreted what Rico said.

Rico's point was simply that all of us on the boards combined are not important to RPGamer statistically. Nor will we likely ever be. Taking it further, even if we all abandoned the site(highly unlikely) the site still provides more use to us then us to it. It is because of this that we came here and stayed here. This site began with giving information, not with readers. Readers came after the information was there.

With that out of the way, I was not 'marginalizing' anyone's opinion. I was merely defining that such public ruckus amounted to nothing more than useless whining. I don't care who was saying it or why they were saying it. Simply put, unless the admins ask for public input on ways to rework the board, the best way to give such input is privately. Thus, I was rendering an opinion that had no bearing on the intelligence, age, or time spent here of any poster who would qualify but simply a form of action that is relatively pointless.

There is nothing you are likely to achieve publicly in this manner which cannot be achieved privately in a swifter time and without adding extraneous topics. Therefore, whether I respect your opinion or not...I do not respect this way of delivering it to the board.

Dracos
    Edit; hope this doesn't doublepost
  • VermillionVermillion Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Just for the record...

Dracos is right.

We may make up the RPGamer community, but we shouldn't get delusions as to where the power really is: it's in the hands of the staff who will get sued if something bad happens somewhere.

We can have gripes, sure, but in the end, they're selling us a product, and it's our responsibility, not theirs, to decide whether we want to buy that product (RPGamer.com) or go to a competitor (is there any competitor?).

Carmine M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com
  • DisasterChild8DisasterChild8 Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, so far all I've seen for the Groups label is Member, New Member, and RPGamer Staff.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

you forgot banned member, but from what i hear that group is no fun.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"go to a competitor (is there any competitor?)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

the GameFAQS message boards are pretty big, but in terms of quality (AKA intelligent conversation) there is no competitor
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vermillion @ Nov. 21 2003,17:30)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"We can have gripes, sure, but in the end, they're selling us a product, and it's our responsibility, not theirs, to decide whether we want to buy that product (RPGamer.com) or go to a competitor (is there any competitor?).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Depends what you are looking for in a board. Regardless of what it is, yes there are. It simply changes where you look. If you are looking for role playing games, there are several forums run by other members of this board (Self included) that provide that. If you want other casual game development forums, look around, you'll find them. Same with professional ones. There will never be a shortage of forums for any given game or game series that flies by this forum. And if it's the misc stuff, that too isn't very hard to find. Though, this one is a pretty well run board with a fairly active population and a generally friendly atmosphere. Which why not extremely hard to find is generally a good reason not to hunt for others.

If you are speaking sites, yes, there are other fanrun and professionally run sites that fill similar areas I believe. I generally don't look though as I'm fairly satisified with this one and not extremely hungry for information.

Dracos
  • An FF OriginalAn FF Original Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    Dracos:

I fail to see how this topic is useless and misplaced. Seeing as how the subtitle for this topic is "Bring up the good and the bad about your host, RPGamer." I believe it was an appropriate place to post an idea I had concerning the forum. I posted it, and Rico decided it wasn't a good idea. Fine. It was just an idea. I posted the topic here , instead of PMing Rico personally, because I thought it would be a good idea to discuss the idea with other gamers. However, obviously I was wrong since your obviously higher intellect deemed it misplaced (dispite the fact that you are NOT a staff member, but instead a regular member such as myself).

Edit: Besides, seeing as how the "party host" has asked us our opinion of the "party," it is most likely to the benefit of all to give ones truthful opinion.

And I was not whinning. It's not like I went around posting "I don't have a title, give me a title!" but instead gave the equivilent of "Well, maybe there sould be more types of chips and the snack table"

• Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""Where do people go on rpgamer.com?
    rpgamer.com ~ 97%
    board.rpgamer.com ~ 2%"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What about the other 1%?

Time for some time-out.
    Dracos- Go sit in that corner over there and face the wall.
    FF- Go sit in the opposite corner and face the wall.
    I don't want to hear another sound from either of you. smile.gif

• agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lezard Valeth @ Nov. 21 2003,22:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What about the other 1%?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What? I'm sure you meant 3% or 98%.

Methinks you are completely missing the reson the statistics were posted. They're more than just a decoration that you can quote.

I'd suggest providing some reasoning/proof/etc -- Unless, of course, there isn't any. "Divisions", otherwise known as "cliques", can only generate problems...it is only a matter of time before "person A" is upset becasue "Person A"/whoever are not in "Group X".
    Here we have the debate for titles all over again.

Not to mention it would be confusing/more work for the moderators.

This whole topic is moot anyway, since Rico has already said no to the idea. I don't remember the last time Rico reversed his views because of a fellow boardie's spiel wink.gif .

edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lezard Valeth @ Nov. 21 2003,23:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What about the other 1%?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The other 1% go to another site from a link on RPGamer. There was really no point in posting that earlier, as it was completely apart and irrelevant from the point I was using statistics to make.
    edited November 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Nov. 21 2003,23:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Emotional complaint about having an opinion.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You are right. I'm not a staff member. Thus, as noted, it was nothing more than my 'opinion'. The lack of being on the staff does not, contrary to your belief apparently, restrict other members from going "I don't think this belongs here" or "You should've pm'ed that."

And if the fact I gave verbose reasoning is so annoying, just read the first one and ignore the fact that others with opinions disagreed and engaged me in discussion over it.

Really, your whole attempt to start up discussion on it simply indicated you didn't know what you were asking for. Either in the simply group sense or in how the damn things tend to be implemented on these boards. Again, something that understanding before trying to ask for this would likely have spared you making silly analogies like the ones you just did.

Dracos
  • An FF OriginalAn FF Original Member Full Members
    edited November 2003
    You have missed my point completely; that is, that posting an idea for the boards on this thread is neither whinning, nor complaining, but exactly what this thread is for. I wonder how you can look at my opening post and think that I am just whinning about the way things are done on this board.
  • Lezard ValethLezard Valeth Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2003
    Hey, you're in time-out! No talking! smile.gif