If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

List 3 things that you've been upset with in RPGs.

Comments

• GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 11 2003,13:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Speaking of weak monsters, I'm glad that the Eye Goo got some revenge in BOFV. After four games of getting their asses handed to them, they're finally getting some redemption.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Heh, yeah your right. Although I still whopped their asses in that game, they were alot tougher than the ones in the previous installments. Maybe in the next installment, they'll make one a Boss of some sort.
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Dec. 11 2003,12:07)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyhow, again, you are generalizing and now moving into rude generalizations. ?Certainly for many that is the case. ?It isn't for all of us here. ?The point is you should not be expecting either everyone to be raving FF fans or everyone to be elaborately deeply immersed in games other than FF. ?You should not be surprised at a majority of FF loving gamers on a site that began as centric on that and built up from it. ?Additionally, as you don't own the site and I don't own the site, we don't say what is an RPG and what isn't. ?We don't tell the people what is to be covered and what isn't. ?They are footing the bills and they are, last I checked, covering a rather verbose amount of RPGs. ?Not all, sure, but quite a damned large amount.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I am not being rude I was just reflecting my opinion of what I have read. ?For instance, if I had a site named actionmovies.com I would not just cover Terminator and Lethal Weapon. ?I would try to cover every movie in the action movie genre listed.

That would make my slogan a little bit more true as well. "Complete Action Movie Coverage. ?Period." ?(looks familiar does it not?).

As for who pays the bills and whatever you said. ?That is what those popups, banners, and ads are for. ?

On topic: ?7th saga was one of the games that had smart monsters.

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 11 2003,13:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Dec. 11 2003,13:35)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Haha, its just the first RPG that came to my mind, actually.

Some other games are Dragoncall Z: Legacy of Goku and I think maybe Chrono Cross. I remember fighting a school of fish in one of the games I've played...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh, okay.

Speaking of weak monsters, I'm glad that the Eye Goo got some revenge in BOFV. After four games of getting their asses handed to them, they're finally getting some redemption.

That pleases me to no end for some reason. biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Four games? Perhaps this is an indication that I should replay the earlier Breath of Fires but I do not recall the Eye Goo enemy coming into existence before Breath of Fire three, where it existed largely as a trainer monster to help teach the basics of the battle system.

Dracos
  • An FF OriginalAn FF Original Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Dec. 11 2003,22:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 11 2003,13:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Haha, its just the first RPG that came to my mind, actually.

Some other games are Dragoncall Z: Legacy of Goku and I think maybe Chrono Cross. I remember fighting a school of fish in one of the games I've played...
    <span id='postcolor'>
    Oh, okay.

Speaking of weak monsters, I'm glad that the Eye Goo got some revenge in BOFV. After four games of getting their asses handed to them, they're finally getting some redemption.

That pleases me to no end for some reason. biggrin.gif[/quote]
    Four games? Perhaps this is an indication that I should replay the earlier Breath of Fires but I do not recall the Eye Goo enemy coming into existence before Breath of Fire three, where it existed largely as a trainer monster to help teach the basics of the battle system.

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't remember BoF1 very well, but the first random monster in the game was the e. slime. I suppose that's close enough...
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I'll have to check their location in BOF, but in II they're pretty easy to find. Just wander around the Hometown area and you'll find them.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • RumikoholicRumikoholic Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Dec. 09 2003,14:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Why are you guys using so many of Square's games for examples? ?Slayer of God says so many of the past RPG's have so many "plot-holes." ?yet you make it sound as if Square was the only RPG developer. Please, somebody enlighten me and discuss a "plot-hole" from a different title/RPG.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hmm... I reallyl iked Paladin's quest, but I disliked that none of the mercenareis you hired got new equipment. I really liked Dan for instance. But, his effectiveness severely went down after the city you got him in. Switching out character s I liked for crappy characters like Fast-Joe was annoying. :\
  • Jack Van BuraceJack Van Burace Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Well I don't have three, in fact I only have one, that is:

HAVING GOOD GRAPHICS AND HAVING NO STORY OR PLOT.

Just because a game has good graphics that doesn't mean it is a good game. In fact some of the best games I have ever played I could probabaly draw better. And I am the worst artist I have ever known.
  • oldschoolgameroldschoolgamer Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    - 8-bit and 16-bit battles. They are rather boring to watch. The characters/enemies stand on opposite sides of the screen, and slash their swords through mid-air, and somehow that's supposed to cause damage?!?!? I definitely prefer the full-motion battles of Skies of Arcadia and FF10.

- Dumbass puzzles like FF7's "Make-Cloud-a-girl" or FF10's tedious Temples. Ditto stupid mini-games. I play RPGs for stories and battles, not skiing or bike-riding or puzzle-solving. If I want to do that, I'll go play Excitebike or visit crosswords.com.

- Too many random battles and not enough experience points from battles. I'd like to see the EXP doubled, so leveling up happens faster.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (oldschoolgamer @ Dec. 12 2003,18:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"- 8-bit and 16-bit battles. ?They are rather boring to watch. ?The characters/enemies stand on opposite sides of the screen, and slash their swords through mid-air, and somehow that's supposed to cause damage?!?!? ?I definitely prefer the full-motion battles of Skies of Arcadia and FF10.

- Dumbass puzzles like FF7's "Make-Cloud-a-girl" or FF10's tedious Temples. ?Ditto stupid mini-games. ?I play RPGs for stories and battles, not skiing or bike-riding or puzzle-solving. ?If I want to do that, I'll go play Excitebike or visit crosswords.com.

- Too many random battles and not enough experience points from battles. ?I'd like to see the EXP doubled, so leveling up happens faster.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    1. Eh, if the game is sprite-based, like a 2D RPG than thats the way the battles should be, in my preference.

2. Trust me, Mini-Games make the game alot more funner. I found games like Arc the Lad: TOTS too straight forward with no fun at all.

3. I only found leveling up a bit hard in Shadow Hearts...
  • RumikoholicRumikoholic Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Dec. 12 2003,20:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    - 8-bit and 16-bit battles. ?They are rather boring to watch. ?The characters/enemies stand on opposite sides of the screen, and slash their swords through mid-air, and somehow that's supposed to cause damage?!?!? ?I definitely prefer the full-motion battles of Skies of Arcadia and FF10.

- Dumbass puzzles like FF7's "Make-Cloud-a-girl" or FF10's tedious Temples. ?Ditto stupid mini-games. ?I play RPGs for stories and battles, not skiing or bike-riding or puzzle-solving. ?If I want to do that, I'll go play Excitebike or visit crosswords.com.

- Too many random battles and not enough experience points from battles. ?I'd like to see the EXP doubled, so leveling up happens faster.
    <span id='postcolor'>
    1. Eh, if the game is sprite-based, like a 2D RPG than thats the way the battles should be, in my preference.

2. Trust me, Mini-Games make the game alot more funner. I found games like Arc the Lad: TOTS too straight forward with no fun at all.

3. I only found leveling up a bit hard in Shadow Hearts...[/quote]
    1. There were a lot of 2D games that had moving enemies and heroes. ?Like Breath of Fire, for instance.

2. Funner isn't a word. ?More funner is just redundant.

3. Never played Shadow Hearts. ?But, leveling-up is a pain in most RPG firsts. ?Final Fantasy 1 was insanely difficult throughout most of the game. ?Then, got simple by the end. ?Dragon Warrior 1 had me fighting around towns for hours just to beat that stupid Goldman... ?Stuff like that.

Character leveling is a delicate balance that can only be achieved through trial and error. ?Unfortunately, most of the first RPGs in given series' are too risky to spend the time perfecting the leveling process. ?There's just no guarentee they'll be worth the effort. ?Besides, very few companies that are new to genre seek outside help. ?Again, for monetary reasons...

• DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds it hilarious that someone with the name "oldschoolgamer" continuously bashes 8-bit and 16-bit games, and just bashed their battles? That basically rules out every game I'd consider to be old-school, unless Final Fantasy VII has finally attained that status (being more than six years old an all).

Three things:

- The character with the least known backstory is automatically "deep"

- Singing during battles. Lunar and FFX-2 are the offenders that stick out in my mind, although I hear Rhapsody is just as guilty (if not more so).

- Obligatory Cute Things that have no purpose but to be cute and appeal to rabid fangirls.
  • XanalithXanalith Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Dec. 15 2003,12:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"- Obligatory Cute Things that have no purpose but to be cute and appeal to rabid fangirls.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Puffy from Grandia is sticking out prominantly from the group here I think!
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Dec. 14 2003,15:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Please tell me I'm not the only one who finds it hilarious that someone with the name "oldschoolgamer" continuously bashes 8-bit and 16-bit games, and just bashed their battles? ?That basically rules out every game I'd consider to be old-school, unless Final Fantasy VII has finally attained that status (being more than six years old an all).

Three things:

- The character with the least known backstory is automatically "deep"

- Singing during battles. ?Lunar and FFX-2 are the offenders that stick out in my mind, although I hear Rhapsody is just as guilty (if not more so).

- Obligatory Cute Things that have no purpose but to be cute and appeal to rabid fangirls.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ::LOL:: I found that pretty funny. But, then again I shouldn't laugh, being a person named "Growlanser" but having never played the game at all.

I also hate singing during battles. In FFX-2 they just won't shut up! Although I despise it I'll let Lunar 2 be the exception because I kinda enjoyed the series.
    edited December 2003
    That's what the mute button's for, silly. tounge.gif

Seriously, I'll agree with you on that. I generally don't use the Songstress though, except in dire situations like the battle with Garik.

But I don't recall any terrible singing in Lunar 2...
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I love the songstress class... I just don't use any of the songs anymore because they're annoying to cast and not all that helpful. The dances are far too helpful, though ^^
  • RuinRuin Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    -Character designs
    -World Maps
    -Lackluster plots
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Dec. 14 2003,15:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"- Obligatory Cute Things that have no purpose but to be cute and appeal to rabid fangirls.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I hate these too. They're such a waste. They should follow suit with the Obligatory Cute Things that have nice purposes like kicking ass in battle (kururu~ kururu~).
  • ArayaAraya Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    1. World Maps
    2. Linear Gameplay
    3. Lack of a Good Story
  • Wes_TyrantWes_Tyrant Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    1. Endings

When was the last time we saw a really good, complete ending I mean it has been kind of a disappointment in this area lately.

2. Lack of Depth to a world

I'm sorry but when I play a game like Never Winter Nights, or another D20 game i'd kinda like it to be like Elder Scrolls 3. I can go anywhere pick up anything, sell anything...like in a Pen and Paper RPG.

3. Storyline

After we save the world for the 1,000,000,000 time, it gets kinda old, lets have an RPG with an evil guy where we take over the world...YES!!!! Taking over the world that would be a great addition.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wes_Tyrant @ Dec. 15 2003,20:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"2. Lack of Depth to a world

I'm sorry but when I play a game like Never Winter Nights, or another D20 game i'd kinda like it to be like Elder Scrolls 3. I can go anywhere pick up anything, sell anything...like in a Pen and Paper RPG.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I believe Morrowind lacked depth. In Elder Scrolls chapter 1 and 2 it was million times bigger than Morrowind. In fact Morrowind consists of just the actual nothern part of the country which is just a big island.

There are projects online making a mod for morrowind to have the original whole world.

Plus I miss the breaking into buildings and the roof jumping that daggerfall had.
  • XanalithXanalith Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wes_Tyrant @ Dec. 16 2003,15:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"1. Endings

When was the last time we saw a really good, complete ending I mean it has been kind of a disappointment in this area lately.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree.... Endings these days seem to be more about graphical achievement than story completion.

Quite sad really....
    edited December 2003
    And which games would these be?
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 16 2003,12:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And which games would these be?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Here are my top 3 games that had horrible endings.

1. Breath of Fire: DQ(yes, you knew I would say that)
    2. Arc the Lad: TOTS
    3. Legaia: Duel Saga

They were short and predictable. When are we going to see an ending that would actually surprise us?
  • ERRORERROR Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    1) Unwinnable coliseum battles

I think I'm going to win it this time. NOT!!!!

2) World Maps

I miss being able to run from town to town just for the amusement of obliterating the Lvl 1 goblin guarding the path
    tounge.gif .

3) Options for seeing the armor

I would like to be able to see different graphics for armor and helmets and swords. If I put on a leather helmet, I'd like to be able to see it shown on the head of my character, ect.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Dec. 16 2003,14:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And which games would these be?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

They were short and predictable. When are we going to see an ending that would actually surprise us?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you on DQ. Let me evaluate said game's ending:

"<span class="spoiler">After defeating Chetyre, and reaching the sky, Ryu dies from overusing Odjn's power. Odjn, in gratitude for helping him open humanity's path to the sky again, sacrifices his life to give Ryu back his.</span>" And the rest is up to individual interpratation.....

I don't see how that's predictable. Short, yes. Predictable, I don't see it.

Oh, and since the spoiler tags aren't working, I forgoed using them. Forgive me.

<span style='color:red'>They look like they're working just fine to me. --Rico</span>

• sephirothsdisciplesephirothsdisciple Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"- Singing during battles. Lunar and FFX-2 are the offenders that stick out in my mind, although I hear Rhapsody is just as guilty (if not more so).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Deshy!!! The singing in Lunar was about 2 seconds long, plus it was Luna's main attribute *besides her striking beauty.....and blue hair* I don't mind the singing, I find it quite soothing in some games....where the singing actually sounds good.

My one thing about rpg's that I do not like are the people that do not play rpg's cause they are popular...take Final Fantasy VII. Tons of die hard rpg fans hate that game cause it was big and alot of people that didn't like rpg's before that liked it and etc. Well, I don't know about you guys, but that game is my all time favorite and I have about 60 console rpg's in my possesion and im not talkin ROMs. Don't like the game for a reason not because other people like it.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 16 2003,14:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And which games would these be?
    <span id='postcolor'>

They were short and predictable. When are we going to see an ending that would actually surprise us?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you on DQ. Let me evaluate said game's ending:

"<span class="spoiler">After defeating Chetyre, and reaching the sky, Ryu dies from overusing Odjn's power. Odjn, in gratitude for helping him open humanity's path to the sky again, sacrifices his life to give Ryu back his.</span>" And the rest is up to individual interpratation.....

I don't see how that's predictable. Short, yes. Predictable, I don't see it.[/quote]
    Well, I didn't see that part coming when "<span class="spoiler"> Odjn sacrifices himself </span>" but it was so obvious to me that Ryu retains his life. I mean, in what game have you seen the main character die? They somehow always stay alive no matter what. It was short, and I only mostly payed attention to the nice graphics.

• SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cyllya @ Dec. 15 2003,14:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    - Obligatory Cute Things that have no purpose but to be cute and appeal to rabid fangirls.
    <span id='postcolor'>
    I hate these too. They're such a waste. They should follow suit with the Obligatory Cute Things that have nice purposes like kicking ass in battle (kururu~ kururu~).[/quote][/quote]

Gasp! You're forgetting Quickey! *Quickeeey!*

Ok, here's my three:
    1)The pissy, cold personality of the "hero" in a party, yet people in general tend to like or think he's cool. For example: Jet in Wild Arms 3 *Picks up a twig and gives him a poke or two.*
    2)Too many swords and guns in RPG. We need more bows and arrows, staves, books, musical instruments, mops, dirty clothes, whatever.
    3)Awkward plot twist. Example: Arc the Lad: Twilight of the spirit. "Me bad guy? No, me good guy. He good guy? No, he bad guy. Duh... *droooools*"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with you on DQ. Let me evaluate said game's ending:

"<span class="spoiler">"After defeating Chetyre, and reaching the sky, Ryu dies from overusing Odjn's power. Odjn, in gratitude for helping him open humanity's path to the sky again, sacrifices his life to give Ryu back his."</span>" And the rest is up to individual interpratation.....

I don't see how that's predictable. Short, yes. Predictable, I don't see it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I absolutely agree! The ending for DQ was one of the best, and also one of the most satisfying I have seen.

edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ERROR @ Dec. 16 2003,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"3) ?Options for seeing the armor

I would like to be able to see different graphics for armor and helmets and swords. ?If I put on a leather helmet, I'd like to be able to see it shown on the head of my character, ect.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree with this immensely. That is how you know they put time in to making the game. This is very important especially on tactical rpgs.

This is also one of the reasons why I liked Castlevania SOTN so much.

LOL imagine diablo if your character did not look different when you obtained new weapons or armor.
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LukeTSManager @ Dec. 17 2003,01:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ERROR @ Dec. 16 2003,16:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"3) ?Options for seeing the armor

I would like to be able to see different graphics for armor and helmets and swords. ?If I put on a leather helmet, I'd like to be able to see it shown on the head of my character, ect.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree with this immensely. ?That is how you know they put time in to making the game. ?This is very important especially on tactical rpgs.

This is also one of the reasons why I liked Castlevania SOTN so much.

LOL imagine diablo if your character did not look different when you obtained new weapons or armor.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm not sure if you guys already know this but there are a few RPG out there that has that, such as: Legend of Legaia, Baldur's Gate, and FFX-2. I think I'm forgetting a few others here... Also, the ones you mentioned. Many others actually semi-changes too, like the exchange of swords and whatnot. I think the best in this category is probably Baldur's Gate. Heck, you can even strip down to your undies when fighting in the freezing climates. Heheh. Anyway, I think I also agree that the feature would be nice in other more games as well; maybe it would add more enjoyment to the game too.