If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

List 3 things that you've been upset with in RPGs.

Comments

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Dec. 11 2003,23:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't remember BoF1 very well, but the first random monster in the game was the e. slime. I suppose that's close enough...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    But it wasn't.

It was slime. Plain slime. No 'e.', no 'eye', just 'slime'. I can pull out a screenshot if ye wish as I double checked my memory on it as I'll do shortly with BoF 2.

Dracos
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Dec. 17 2003,20:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Dec. 11 2003,23:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't remember BoF1 very well, but the first random monster in the game was the e. slime. ?I suppose that's close enough...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    But it wasn't.

It was slime. ?Plain slime. ?No 'e.', no 'eye', just 'slime'. ?I can pull out a screenshot if ye wish as I double checked my memory on it as I'll do shortly with BoF 2.

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    BoF 2 has E. Slimes

Just played it.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Dec. 17 2003,18:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Dec. 11 2003,23:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't remember BoF1 very well, but the first random monster in the game was the e. slime. ?I suppose that's close enough...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    But it wasn't.

It was slime. ?Plain slime. ?No 'e.', no 'eye', just 'slime'. ?I can pull out a screenshot if ye wish as I double checked my memory on it as I'll do shortly with BoF 2.

Don't bother Dracos, I just checked.

They're called E. Sludges.

SeraphicLaw: I'd call it one of the feel-good endings of the year! Seeing it left me with a happy, content feeling.
    biggrin.gif
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • An FF OriginalAn FF Original Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    BoF2 recently pissed me off. I emulated it (Yes, boo me all you want, but I would have bought the catridge if I could find it. Actually, I did, but the stupid video store won't sell it to me mad.gif ) and finally beat Barubary, getting to the final boss. Then, for whatever reason, it freezes just before fighting him... I HATE IRONY!!!!

Actually, that's not true, I love irony. Just when I'M not the victim...

And the next three or four posts are going to tell me that's what I get emulating games... oh well... confused.gif
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I see no reason to flame anybody for emulating a snes game that's hard to find. Especially if they made an attempt to purchase the thing used. Doubt anyone else will either.

Of course, here's something that bugs me about RPGs. Game designers still make things overly slow. They really should take a hint from the emulator authors, and start including 'go faster' buttons. Crono Cross did it, and adding them it would certainly increase my enjoyment of rpgs.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Dec. 18 2003,04:21)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I see no reason to flame anybody for emulating a snes game that's hard to find. Especially if they made an attempt to purchase the thing used. Doubt anyone else will either.

Of course, here's something that bugs me about RPGs. Game designers still make things overly slow. They really should take a hint from the emulator authors, and start including 'go faster' buttons. Crono Cross did it, and adding them it would certainly increase my enjoyment of rpgs.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    FFVI had the sprint shoes relic, and the PS1 remake had the O button to make you go even faster... good ideas...
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    They were, though both make me wonder why the didn't just make you walk that fast to begin with. I was referring to something that works on places other then the map screen though. Speeding through battle animations, or exceptionally boring plot sequences, ect.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Now that I think about it, Suikoden 1 had only one moving speed.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Dec. 18 2003,04:21)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Of course, here's something that bugs me about RPGs. ?Game designers still make things overly slow. ?They really should take a hint from the emulator authors, and start including 'go faster' buttons. ?Crono Cross did it, and adding them it would certainly increase my enjoyment of rpgs.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yea, that really pisses me off. In alot of RPGs, like Xenosaga, they run so slow. I also hate turn-based battles that move at such a slow pace. Finally, they should give you a choice like FFX-2 to skip long plot scenes.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Dec. 18 2003,12:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Dec. 18 2003,04:21)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Of course, here's something that bugs me about RPGs. ?Game designers still make things overly slow. ?They really should take a hint from the emulator authors, and start including 'go faster' buttons. ?Crono Cross did it, and adding them it would certainly increase my enjoyment of rpgs.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yea, that really pisses me off. In alot of RPGs, like Xenosaga, they run so slow. I also hate turn-based battles that move at such a slow pace. Finally, they should give you a choice like FFX-2 to skip long plot scenes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, they did give you the choice to skip the scenes in Xenosaga. And unlike FFX-2, you could skip all of them.

And I much prefer the speed of Xenosaga's cutscenes to the painfully slow crawl of Xenogears' text.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 18 2003,13:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And I much prefer the speed of Xenosaga's cutscenes to the painfully slow crawl of Xenogears' text.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well actually, Xenogears Disc 2 was pretty brutal when it came to text. But I'd perfer the text rather than see robotic-like characters moving around in cutscenes.
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Dec. 18 2003,20:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 18 2003,13:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And I much prefer the speed of Xenosaga's cutscenes to the painfully slow crawl of Xenogears' text.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well actually, Xenogears Disc 2 was pretty brutal when it came to text. But I'd perfer the text rather than see robotic-like characters moving around in cutscenes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That's a first. eh.gif (I love that smiley!) eh.gif Heheheheh.

Anyway, I agree with Slayer on this too. You prefer reading texts that practically, sluggishly crawl across your screen, then to watch... what was that you said you don't like watching? Oh well, to each his own... or however that goes.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ Dec. 18 2003,07:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Now that I think about it, Suikoden 1 had only one moving speed.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No it didn't. It had two. You just had to sacrifice the quite important rune position for it.

Dracos
  • Lin MayuLin Mayu Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 18 2003,15:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And I much prefer the speed of Xenosaga's cutscenes to the painfully slow crawl of Xenogears' text.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I will second that. I got fed up with Xenogears before I had even left the first town because of this.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Dec. 17 2003,18:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Dec. 11 2003,23:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't remember BoF1 very well, but the first random monster in the game was the e. slime. I suppose that's close enough...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    But it wasn't.

It was slime. Plain slime. No 'e.', no 'eye', just 'slime'. I can pull out a screenshot if ye wish as I double checked my memory on it as I'll do shortly with BoF 2.

Ack! I was refering to BoF2... silly me...
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Dec. 18 2003,04:21)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I see no reason to flame anybody for emulating a snes game that's hard to find. ?Especially if they made an attempt to purchase the thing used. ?Doubt anyone else will either.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well actually, you can find BOF2 on SNES OR GBA Advance. It shouldn't be that hard to find.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SeraphicLaw @ Dec. 18 2003,18:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyway, I agree with Slayer on this too. You prefer reading texts that practically, sluggishly crawl across your screen, then to watch... what was that you said you don't like watching? Oh well, to each his own... or however that goes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'd prefer reading captivating, riveting text at a slow speed to watching jerky CG depicting juvenile, cliched sci-fi events. Xenogears Disk 2 was an incredible emotional experience, regardless of whether the text scrolled quickly or slowly. Xenosaga was just dumb, and that is more important that the fact that it has voice acting. Would you rather read an Isaac Asimov novel or watch "Invaders from Mars"? sarcasm.gif
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Metacod @ Dec. 21 2003,14:07)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'd prefer reading captivating, riveting text at a slow speed to watching jerky CG depicting juvenile, cliched sci-fi events. ?Xenogears Disk 2 was an incredible emotional experience, regardless of whether the text scrolled quickly or slowly. ?Xenosaga was just dumb, and that is more important that the fact that it has voice acting. ?Would you rather read an Isaac Asimov novel or watch "Invaders from Mars"? ?sarcasm.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'd have to agree with you on that one.
    edited December 2003
    Something I find amusing is that when people bash Xenosaga, they always have to compare it to Xenogears to do so.

Oh, and I never said Xenosaga was better than Xenogears.
    edited December 2003
    Actually, it's merely convienent to.

It's completely possible to bash it on it's own 'merits'. It's a fitting claim to say it's overly campy. It went way too far in that regard and turns off a lot of players by doing so. It's also reasonable to say that the ending of it was retarded. Without needing to reference anything else, it felt extremely silly and contrived, largely due to the fact that the game 'story' wasn't remotely over. These are two complaints that can easily be leveled at Xenosaga, without needing to reference Xenogears. I could say that in any game, I largely prefer detailed story to juvenille cliched sci-fi events, without any reference to Xenogears.

I liked Xenosaga, sure, but those who dislike it have more than enough ground to stand upon to critique it on it's own grounds.

Dracos
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 22 2003,09:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Something I find amusing is that when people bash Xenosaga, they always have to compare it to Xenogears to do so.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well usually thats because once players play the first game in a series, they usually expect to find similarities in the next. Just like, let's say, Wild ARMS 2 and 3...they were quite similar in gameplay.

But I can understand why they aren't similar...thats obviously because the same developer did not do both games.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Dec. 22 2003,12:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Actually, it's merely convienent to.

It's completely possible to bash it on it's own 'merits'. ?It's a fitting claim to say it's overly campy. ?It went way too far in that regard and turns off a lot of players by doing so. ?It's also reasonable to say that the ending of it was retarded. ?Without needing to reference anything else, it felt extremely silly and contrived, largely due to the fact that the game 'story' wasn't remotely over. ?These are two complaints that can easily be leveled at Xenosaga, without needing to reference Xenogears. ?I could say that in any game, I largely prefer detailed story to juvenille cliched sci-fi events, without any reference to Xenogears.

I liked Xenosaga, sure, but those who dislike it have more than enough ground to stand upon to critique it on it's own grounds.

I understand all that. I was just commenting on how when most people say they didn't like Xenosaga, one of the biggest reasons they mention is because it isn't exactly like Xenogears, which is unfair.

I completely understand if someone doesn't like it, but I'd like to see more people say so without mentioning Xenogears at all. It would be a nice breath of fresh air.
  • TruoaTruoa Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Well, the only thing that upset me is that I can't beat Ruby Weapon on FF7, that's about it anything else is perfect.
    If something about the games is dissapointing you can always give them feedback.

.FreyaSig.jpg
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 22 2003,15:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I was just commenting on how when most people say they didn't like Xenosaga, one of the biggest reasons they mention is because it isn't exactly like Xenogears, which is unfair.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I was comparing the perceieved quality to XG. It could have been completely different and just as good, and I would have been satistfied ? but no, it was completely different and, in my opinion, far worse. Besides, there was a logical reason why I compared the games: I was responding to previous posts that had compared them in a different way.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    my main problem with rpgs is clothing, im a guy and like most guys i like hot girls but this is getting out of hand do they expect me 2 belive that a women worrior is going to fight wearing hardly anything, am i the only person who thinks this is taking away from video games
    edited December 2003
    As I've said in numerous other threads, women wearing skimpy clothing into battle isn't a new development. Rydia did it, Terra did it, Celes did it. The only difference is that now that graphics have improved, people are actually starting to notice.

Let's not have a double-standard here, one standard will do just fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    i understand wat ur saying but is this wat video games r about now, cause i always considered video games a form of art, but r they now merly eye candy, cum on sum1s gotta c it the way i do.
  • NeonZNeonZ New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    1-Romances
    2-Winny protagonists
    3-Voice Acting
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Dec. 23 2003,12:54)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"As I've said in numerous other threads, women wearing skimpy clothing into battle isn't a new development. Rydia did it, Terra did it, Celes did it. The only difference is that now that graphics have improved, people are actually starting to notice.

Let's not have a double-standard here, one standard will do just fine.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    True(although those are all examples from FF games), but I can see where Vardaalph is coming from. I, neither, can see how a woman saving the world or something would wear some bikini-like outfit. If developers focus less on the characters looks and more on the game itself things would feel much better for me.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Dec. 23 2003,16:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    As I've said in numerous other threads, women wearing skimpy clothing into battle isn't a new development. Rydia did it, Terra did it, Celes did it. The only difference is that now that graphics have improved, people are actually starting to notice.

Let's not have a double-standard here, one standard will do just fine.
    <span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"True(although those are all examples from FF games), but I can see where Vardaalph is coming from. I, neither, can see how a woman saving the world or something would wear some bikini-like outfit. If developers focus less on the characters looks and more on the game itself things would feel much better for me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I understand where he's coming from too. But if you're looking for practicality in an RPG(or any video game for that matter), you're barking up the wrong tree. Just check out the "Things I learned from video games" thread to see what I mean

Oh, and I used the FF girls as examples because they're the most widely known. Ease of reference, and all that jazz.