If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

List 3 things that you've been upset with in RPGs.

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2003
    hi, thanx for understanding cause it seems that almost all the ppl i no think its great, sumday wen my company kicks off and we make video games i no that im going to give all the female charaters full armor
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    As long as you don't make them look too Manly...

At any rate, I just wish there are more American RPG developers and I wish there were more Japanese RPGs coming stateside. Maybe alot of them are different from the ones we play here...
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I just wish there are more American RPG developers [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I am trying to get a job with Volition biggrin.gif
  • An FF OriginalAn FF Original Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vardaalph @ Dec. 23 2003,13:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i understand wat ur saying but is this wat video games r about now, cause i always considered video games a form of art, but r they now merly eye candy, cum on sum1s gotta c it the way i do.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think one should be fluent in English before posting on this board.

And while I agree that removing the skimpy clothing would be a good thing, it would hardly be a new idea. There are as many examples of fully-clothed women as there are skimpy ones.

Examples:

Yuna, Rinoa, Garnet, The chick with the guns from BoF5.

And to a certain extent, skimpy clothing IS what some women wear. Granted, in some video games it is taken to excess, but when I think about, say Selphie from FFVIII, or Nina from BoF2, they are skimpy, but elegant, as well.

Actually, that's what I would like to see. Say, a white mage in an elegant dress. Far more stunning in my opinion then, say, FFX-2 garments.

• Options
    edited December 2003
    i am fluent in english i dont feel like typing that whole word for future reference........anyway ur right a tastful dress is fine but honestly have u every played golden axe (old example) i dont think it gets any more excessive than that, there making games now for the soul perpose of of showing off there half naked women like in doax.
    edited December 2003
    I think the best example would be Soul Caliber 2. But that is not quite an RPG.
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vardaalph @ Dec. 24 2003,09:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i am fluent in english i dont feel like typing that whole word for future reference........anyway ur right a tastful dress is fine but honestly have u every played golden axe (old example) i dont think it gets any more excessive than that, there making games now for the soul perpose of of showing off there half naked women like in doax.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, along with the stupid RPG main hero. And I also get sick of ppl drooling over these fake in-game characters.
  • An FF OriginalAn FF Original Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vardaalph @ Dec. 24 2003,09:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"i am fluent in english i dont feel like typing that whole word for future reference........anyway ur right a tastful dress is fine but honestly have u every played golden axe (old example) i dont think it gets any more excessive than that, there making games now for the soul perpose of of showing off there half naked women like in doax.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    As unbelievable as it may seem, it is FAR more difficult for the rest of us to read that dribble you call writing then it is for you to type out the entire word.
  • DassrallionDassrallion Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Here my gripe list:
    1. Rpg's are much easier than they used to be,too easy in fact.
    For example,Safer Sephiroth is pathetic but the Dragon Lord in DW is quite difficult.I was actually proud when I beat him.
    2.Lame Heroes and Awsome Villains
    3.Characters dying because they never get to go in battle
    because the boss goes 5 times a round.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dassrallion @ Jan. 12 2004,07:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"1. Rpg's are much easier than they used to be,too easy in fact.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I guess because now it is alot easier in RPGs to overpower yourself.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"2.Lame Heroes and Awsome Villains[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

A recent "trend" that i've noticed also.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"3.Characters dying because they never get to go in battle because the boss goes 5 times a round.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This happened to me quite a few times recently...I think in Arc the Lad 4's final boss...
    edited January 2004
    To add to the thing I said about lame heroes and awesome villains,I am tired of the generic hero you know them well,the young man who wears light armor wields a sword and constantly whines. Meanwhile the villain is a tall older man with long flowing hair who actually looks impressive and in the end you would rather be him instead of your whiny guy.Just once I would like to be the tall powerful man or the guy in heavy armor with the faceless helmet.I really like the faceless hemet look,and yet you never get anyone like that,besides in Ogre Battle.So when are we gonna get a Dark Knight for a character?Anyway that's it,I just want to be a Dark Knight once.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dassrallion @ Jan. 12 2004,22:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"To add to the thing I said about lame heroes and awesome villains,I am tired of the generic hero you know them well,the young man who wears light armor wields a sword and constantly whines. Meanwhile the villain is a tall older man with long flowing hair who actually looks impressive and in the end you would rather be him instead of your whiny guy.Just once I would like to be the tall powerful man or the guy in heavy armor with the faceless helmet.I really like the faceless hemet look,and yet you never get anyone like that,besides in Ogre Battle.So when are we gonna get a Dark Knight for a character?Anyway that's it,I just want to be a Dark Knight once.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    FFIV dude.
    edited January 2004
    Yeah...I guess he was a dark knight but he had no powers and was to whiny for me to call him a dark knight,and he became the stupid looking Paladin anyway.I know the paladin is stronger but I preferred dark knight Cecil's look.I mean why can't a paladin look cool,again Ogre Battle is an exception.The minute he became good he lost his neat look and became average.So I say we need a dark knight who actually has powers like Gaffgarion but make them a real character not a guest.
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    If I had a nickel for every time someone called a character who has problems "whiny," I could afford to really make them whine.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Jan. 12 2004,20:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If I had a nickel for every time someone called a character who has problems "whiny," I could afford to really make them whine.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Agreed.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited January 2004
    Okay...I admit "Whiny" was the wrong term.What I mean is a dark knight shows no emotion or only negative emotions,like Gaffgarion. Cecil was very emotional and good hearted and so was not a true dark knight.I think a dark knight should be a character you could hire to travel with you,I would enjoy having one on my side instead of killing them.
    edited January 2004
    Yeah, I think more main Characters should be like Cecil.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    ok ill list some heroes from games that are not whiny or happy go lucky guys and you tell me if you like em

ryudo - granida 2
    socesseror (cant remember name) from treasure of rudras
    dart from legend of dragoon
    lang from legain duel saga
    main character from shadow hearts (IMO he looks cooler than roger bacon thats for sure)
    gustave from saga frontier 2
    edited January 2004
    I haven't played all those games yet but I liked Ryudo although Melfice was much better.I liked Dart,the dragoons were good characters who I enjoyed using.I also liked the hero of Shadow Hearts,who was indeed better than Roger Bacon. But I think the best hero of all time is Celes from Final Fantasy III. I enjoyed her character and wish there could be more like her.The closest one I can think of is Beatrix from Final Fantasy IX.
  • XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I think most of the characters from the Arc The Lad Series were pretty decent, not all that whiny
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Xenoskei @ Jan. 14 2004,09:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think most of the ?characters from the Arc The Lad Series were pretty decent, not all that whiny[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ::Remembers Lutz::
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Jan. 14 2004,12:25)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Xenoskei @ Jan. 14 2004,09:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think most of the ?characters from the Arc The Lad Series were pretty decent, not all that whiny[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ::Remembers Lutz::[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey, don't go bashing Lutz! I like Lutz! Though admittedly not as much as I like Alec or Cheryl.

*sigh* Such underrated characters.

*braces for flames*
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Jan. 14 2004,15:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hey, don't go bashing Lutz! I like Lutz! Though admittedly not as much as I like Alec or Cheryl.

*sigh* Such underrated characters.

*braces for flames*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Alec was pretty ***, but Cheyrl was cool.

I think the best characters out of the whole series was Elk, Tosh and that guy with the gun.
  • XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Yea Tosh and Shu was cool... But i still Like Lutz
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Xenoskei @ Jan. 15 2004,11:52)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yea Tosh and Shu was cool... But i still Like Lutz[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Lutz is a wuss with a crappy haircut. He's only good because he adds the comic relief in ATL3...
  • KaniyodriftKaniyodrift New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    1. battle systems where u are nailed to one spot
    2. battle systems where u have to wait for ur turn
    3. battle systems whe... heh no - good RPGs where after u beat teh last boss, it's game over - no bonus dungeon nor "new game+"
  • RookRook Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Nothing PO's me than a game with random battles and long loading times. Now I don't mind random battles, one of my favorite games is Phantasy Star 2. However in the CD-ROM/DVD-ROM era I just can't stand it when you take a few steps and then have to wait sometimes around 20-30 sec. so that I can dispatch yet another slime/hell hound/roc etc. Long loading times take all the fun out of a good game. Take for example FF6. A great game on the SNES however on the PS1 the loading times take so much time it becomes an exercise in frustration. Another good game with frustrating long loading times is Skies of Arcadia (DC), though I heard they did correct this a little for the gamecube.
    edited January 2004
    I perfer battles where you actually move the character around yourself, like Star Ocean. More games should have that kind of battle system.
  • RaggieRaggie Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I play computer RPGs as well as console RPGs, so I guess I have a bit different viewpoint than most. Here are the things I hate the most on console RPGs:

1. Limited saving. Seriously, what gives?! How does this make games any better? Don?t talk to me about adding more challenge, PC RPGs are tons more difficult than console RPGs without annoying you to make play the same parts again and again. Oh, the joy of battling a boss for 45 minutes, and then dying after it by some weak monster. Add long cinematics (that you can?t pass, of course) and you are sure to get your blood pressure rising! ARGH!!

2. Random battles after every five seconds. There?s nothing fun about random battles in console RPGs. They are button smashing, a bore. Why do we have to put half of the play time on them?!

3. Poor manuals. Usually console RPGs are simple enough to understand without decent manuals, but some games (FFVIII, Vagrant Story) have pretty incomprehensible battle systems. Not to mention PC RPG manuals are so much cooler in other ways too... There are bestiaries, background information about the game world... Really sets the mood!
  • MuusMuus Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Oooookay .... You do seem to like Pc RPGs, which I don't like at all ....
    But anyways ... there is one thing I don't understand in your listing:
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, the joy of battling a boss for 45 minutes, and then dying after it by some weak monster.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"2. Random battles after every five seconds. There?s nothing fun about random battles in console RPGs. They are button smashing, a bore. Why do we have to put half of the play time on them?!
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Hmm ... that is probably why you die against easy enemys ...