If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

List 3 things that you've been upset with in RPGs.

123457»

Comments

• An FF OriginalAn FF Original Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    There is little reason to have a comprehensive, detailed instruction manual in console RPGs when they have tutorials in-game that do a much better job then a manual ever could. The problem with that is when you can't skip the tutorials. Even FFVI let you skip them....

What IS really annoying is when PC games have an online manual, so you can't read it and play the game at the same time. Especially when they try to put a tutorial into it....
  • DiebleinDieblein Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Raggie @ Jan. 30 2004,00:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"3. Poor manuals. Usually console RPGs are simple enough to understand without decent manuals, but some games (FFVIII, Vagrant Story) have pretty incomprehensible battle systems. Not to mention PC RPG manuals are so much cooler in other ways too... There are bestiaries, background information about the game world... Really sets the mood![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I have to admitt that the manual size and quality is a reason for me to buy a game.
    There are realy gr8 examples for good quality manuals, look at Diablo1, or Gothic2 (thats what I?m realy proud of because its quite new) but this is something quite unusual, it realy seems like that the producers can?t afford printing a manual in color.
  • DiebleinDieblein Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Feb. 01 2004,02:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What IS really annoying is when PC games have an online manual, so you can't read it and play the game at the same time. ?Especially when they try to put a tutorial into it....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What is really annoying is when Nintendo promises you to send you a mario sunshine guide for free and all you get is a online manual which helps you to find out that you have to jump with the a button.
  • TheDrunkenGamerTheDrunkenGamer Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I'll also vote for the poor quality of Console RPG manuals.
    I mean, why bother if you're just going to have in-game tutorials?

I personally HATE in-game tutorials. To make matters worse, these days you can't even skip some of them! I'd rather read about it on my own time instead of sitting around waiting for it to hurry up. It's cool for rentals, but when I'm playing from the beginning for the Nth time, I just wanna get on with it.

Their aren't too many RPG heros I can think of that weren't pansies.

Hmm...

Fei Fong Wong of Xenogears - First hero to actually get some booty... But he was still a whiner.

Joshua of Shadowrun (SEGA) - Didn't take crap from anyone. Ever.

Well, that's all I can think of. How pathetic...

edited February 2004
    Ryu in BoF1 or 2, Cid (FFIV), Galuf (FFV), Sabin, Edgar, Setzer, Gau (all FFVI), Irvine (FFVIII), Amarant (FFIX).

All didn't whine.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TheDrunkenGamer @ Feb. 01 2004,12:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Their aren't too many RPG heros I can think of that weren't pansies.

Hmm...

Fei Fong Wong of Xenogears - First hero to actually get some booty... But he was still a whiner.

Joshua of Shadowrun (SEGA) - Didn't take crap from anyone. Ever.

Well, that's all I can think of. How pathetic...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I do believe Desh said it best:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If I had a nickel for every time someone called a character who has problems "whiny," I could afford to really make them whine.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Amen, Desh.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited February 2004
    Since the definition of a whine is a complaint made in a high-pitced voice, none of the characters before the PS2 could be whiny, as they had no "voice." Hence, only Tidus tounge.gif laugh.gif