If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Final Fantasy X-2 Review

Comments

• itagamiitagami Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Screw trying to explain logically and objectively this and that. If nobody else has the guts the say it, then I'll take the initiative:

You suck, Jake. You are a tremendously bad, lazy reviewer. Every single one of your review stinks.

At least your asininity gets people talking; so in short, kudos, and screw off.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (itagami @ Dec. 09 2003,08:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Screw trying to explain logically and objectively this and that. If nobody else has the guts the say it, then I'll take the initiative:

You suck, Jake. You are a tremendously bad, lazy reviewer. Every single one of your review stinks.

At least your asininity gets people talking; so in short, kudos, and screw off.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Don't hold back tell us how you really feel.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • SchenSchen Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    A 4 out of 10 for the graphics?! Are you kidding me? Doing that is like giving the graphics in FFX a 4/10, which is truly wrong.
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    While I haven't played the game myself (Christmas can't come soon enough..), I can't help but think that this review was written with the intent to get this sort of critical reaction to it.

In that case, well done, Jake, mission accomplished.

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Generator:

It seems to be designed to get that, but that's pretty immature for a staff review. It wasn't, by any fair standard, a particularly good review. Regardless of whether it's the goal, it's disappointing to see such an immature goal behind posting a review. Is it not a better goal to leave people with a better informed opinion on the game when one writes a review then simply have people disappointed at the lack of clarity in it?

Dracos
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Yeah, I agree with you 100%. I like to see good reviews, too, and was merely speculating on what I thought was the motive of the review. A review thoroughly highlighting the game's strengths and weaknesses is what makes a good review, and this certainly wasn't the case here.
  • Red GylRed Gyl New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    ~looks~
    Let the rampant flaming begin!

Yep. "Trying to get a reaction" seems about right.
  • ZedZed Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Well, like so many have said, the review is not up to a standard I would expect from a site like RPGamer. I am not sure why you would raise the overall score when the detailed aspects are so low. I mean, you must have actually played the game, right? Could you not see past the reuse of areas and such, or the certain cheesy parts?

Here is what I think...

Battle System: 8 - I loved the battle system, it was fast, and at times challenging. I went back after completing FFX-2 to FFVIII...I couldn't stand the battles (not because I hate the game, I enjoy it) but because it was slow and clunky.

Interface: 7 - At times there were so much scrolling to do that it left alot of time to get beat upon by enemies, especially unsorted item lists.

Music & Sound: 7 - Now, I am not a fan of jpop and the like, but I still thought the music was excellent. I loved the 'boss' music, and all the areas seemed to have new tunes to them, some better than others of course.

Originality: 6 or 7 - I cannot decide on this one. It is after all a direct sequel, using same names, faces, etc. But the new aspects are pretty decent, such as the fast battles, the dress spheres ("<span class="spoiler">though working them into the story was a little odd</span>") etc.

Story: 6 - far better than a 2 at least. There is a story, its there, it is also decent. Sure it is nothing compared to some games, but it does exist...(even beyond the beyond deserves more than a 2)

Localization: 8 - The voice acting was great, better than FFX ("<span class="spoiler">that cursed laughing scene with Yuna and Tidus was horrible</span>"). They even threw in tidbits that are from NA cultrue (apparently people say Duck Soup? I dunno...)

Replay Value: 9 - Far higher than any FF game. Not only are there 3 different endings, but tons of mini games and tons of development with learning all the dress spehere abilities. Definetly a game for the twinkers. I only mastered 2 or 3 dress spheres per character through my one play through.

Visuals: 8 - Re-using graphics? In some places yet, but did anyone notice some of the in game scenes? YRP graphically look amazing, having more facial expressions then lesser animated characters like Wakka. And of course, the FMV's are beautiful. I feel even the monsters got tweeked a bit, as I do not recall them being so flexible or animated.

Overall: With fun factor (of course, this is a matter of perception) I would say its an 8 or 9. Alone though maybe a 7.

...if that makes any sense...
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rumikoholic @ Dec. 09 2003,12:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The guy here's probably new, right? ?It'll ?take a while to get used to writing reviews. ?If he doesn't practice he'll never get any better. :\[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, that's the thing... he's far from new. Rather, he has been around longer than most other reviewers here. First to platinum and all, along with ASV.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Hell, he's been here longer than most staff, period.
  • Yamiji KyotoYamiji Kyoto Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Reading the review, I've seen nothing mentioned about music, yet it recieved a 5.

Most people wwould have expected classical music done by Nobou in this game, being a Final Fantasy and all. But, take some time to think... Would classical music actually really fit in this perky fun game? No.

And towards Originality, this game is original, comparing it to other FF's. The Battle System and Music played more of a role in originality.

And for the Story, Yuna did go on the chase for Tidus, but "<span class="spoiler">it was later revealed that the guy in the sphere was NOT Tidus, but much rather Shuyin(Sp?). Thus, Yuna had nothing to go on after that. And the sphere hunting was to find more sphere with Tidus in it.</span>"

I really like this game. Its what all sequals should have, an extension story or entire new story thats not crap. (DMC2)

Only two things really disappointed me in this game. 1) Like you said, lack of jumping andclimbing, especially in sensible places such as the Calm Lands and those little edges. 2)"<span class="spoiler"> In Besaid after opening the extension to the cave and finding the box at the top, thinking it was Wakka's parents sphere, but it just being a Garment Grid.</span>"
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Yamiji Kyoto @ Dec. 09 2003,13:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Most people wwould have expected classical music done by Nobou in this game, being a Final Fantasy and all. But, take some time to think... Would classical music actually really fit in this perky fun game? No.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The music in FFX-2 fit the mood of the game for the most part. It was more upbeat and jazzy than FFX. There were some songs in it that got tiresome pretty quickly though... at least to me. The two Koda Kumi songs that were supposed to be in it were good (and I don't even understand Japanese). The covers in the US version weren't bad, but they seemed kinda weak in comparison.

• CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (itagami @ Dec. 09 2003,10:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Screw trying to explain logically and objectively this and that. If nobody else has the guts the say it, then I'll take the initiative:

At least your asininity gets people talking; so in short, kudos, and screw off.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    We welcome opinions here at RPGamer, and in fact we even welcome criticism...however we do NOT welcome flaming in any sense of the word. This is clearly stated in the rules:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Do not flame other posters. If you cannot be civil, you cannot post. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I am making this a public post so others will not be able to say they didn't know.

Flame and you will be handled, and it won't be with a soft pillow of internet joy. This goes for anyone after this post, and I will be keeping an eye on this thread.
  • ScarmiglionScarmiglion Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Not much to say, since most of it has already been said... ?sarcasm.gif

Weither or not the review was done specifically as a way to put out a negative review on the game, or to attract flames (as it obviously has..), I really don't know what Jake's idea is.

There's nothing wrong with putting up a negative review. I mean hell, its "Points of View". ?But, he really should actually put the text behind the scores, otherwise, it loses credibility.

From someone that's been with the site for such a long time, I'm disappointed.

• TidusTidus Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (watcher @ Dec. 09 2003,04:13)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"My biggest peeve with any direct sequal that reuses main (playable) characters is when they are suddenly weak again. I mean seriously, what happened to their uber power. Like their weapons, spells, armor suddenly go away. mad.gif mad.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think it's because of such a long period (2 years) has passed and they haven't really done any "real" fighting..that there was no need to practice with their weapons, spells, and wearing their armour so they got lazy and atrophied.

Or just sold off their stuff at the end and played Blitzball while taking it easy.

Also what would be the challenge if they did stay uber-powerful? But anyways those are my theories.
  • Red ShiftRed Shift Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"side's square showed how scary they are when the ffmovie flunked out and they fired their mana, chrono, and xeno teams and replaced them with the final fantasy people. if you look at chrono cross all the enemies are final fantasy 9 clones. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Um, wrong. Not only do Chrono Cross and FF9 have nothing to do with each other, but they were released a year before the FF movie. Please get lost.

Anyway, why can't I be on the review staff? I'm a lot better at it than Jake Alley is. The irony is I agree with the overall score, but the individual scores and the text are pretty much crap.
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Although itagami perhaps was not operating within the confines of the posting regulations, I think it is quite clear that he sums up most of the popular opinion concerning not only this particular review, but many of Jake's other reviews.

I personally would not have so much of a problem with his reviews if it were not for the fact that they are presented - intentionally or no - as the official RPGamer opinion. How can I take the opinion of RPGamer seriously when they (again, presumably) back such poorly written viewpoints? After being consistently disappointed by the quality of these sort of reviews, I have found myself turning to other websites for more substantial, credible opinions on which of the latest games deserves a closer look.

Doing something half-ass is fine, but it continues to baffle me why such work is posted on the front page for days at a time. It is almost embarrassing, especially when done with such regularity.

? -Red Raven
  • Oedo CowboyOedo Cowboy Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Raven @ Dec. 09 2003,17:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It is almost embarrassing, especially when done with such regularity.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And on a site that many people have come to trust concerning reviews, previews, and RPG info.

Two words. Quality Control. biggrin.gif
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Not only do Chrono Cross and FF9 have nothing to do with each other, but they were released a year before the FF movie. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think he was implying that there's a connection between the FF movie and CC/FF9, although the wording's a little unclear. I think he was citing two different examples to make his point. One word would make it more clear:

"side's square showed how scary they are when the ffmovie flunked out and 'WHEN' they fired their mana, chrono, and xeno teams...." I imagine that was the original meaning, that's how I took it anyway.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyway, why can't I be on the review staff? I'm a lot better at it than Jake Alley is. The irony is I agree with the overall score, but the individual scores and the text are pretty much crap.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You suck, Jake. You are a tremendously bad, lazy reviewer. Every single one of your review stinks.

I know that Final Fantasy is something of a sacred cow, but I'd say that some people around here are crossing a line. This review is not a sign of the apocalypse. It is not a personal attack against anyone. Before we get all bent out of shape and start calling for someone to be fired, I think it makes sense to at least wait for Google to explain many of the problems in the review that were pointed out by the members who chose to express themselves eloquently and civily, like Desh and Zed.

I'm pretty sure that this review is not going to cause Squeenix to close down their North American operations and obtain a court order that enables them to go into retail stores and seize and destroy all their merchandise still on the shelves, so let's all calm down.
  • ForeverEonForeverEon New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    actually, i did mean that square fired many of their deveolpement teams and it was a direct effect of their monetary problems from developing the multimillon dollar flop unrelated to the chrono/final fantasy statement. i was in a hurry.

but in fact, whether or not anyone chooses to admit it, chrono cross' monsters did suck and were more similar to final fantasy monsters than they were classic chrono trigger monsters.

and what is this "get lost" statement? Since when did we decide this was a forum for third graders?
    edited December 2003
    Though Jake's review was not top-of-the-line quality I think it's very irresponsible to term the whole of quality on RPGamer by one reviewer or disagreeing with their opinion.

Personally, I put a lot of effort into the quality of the fan art section, my reviews, and this site in general. To comment on quality not being up to par insults not only Jake, but all the staff members of RPGamer. It's saying they do not to a quality job, and I can guarentee you that every staff member does their best to bring not only quality but bring it quickly.

Please, respect that. Respect the job that the staff members try to do, and respect the fact that sometimes you will not agree with their approach. You can have your opinions about quality, I can't stop that...but please consider what you're saying next time if you speak on quality on this website. You may be inadvertantly insulting someone.
  • Red ShiftRed Shift Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Shift @ Dec. 09 2003,15:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"side's square showed how scary they are when the ffmovie flunked out and they fired their mana, chrono, and xeno teams and replaced them with the final fantasy people. if you look at chrono cross all the enemies are final fantasy 9 clones. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Um, wrong. Not only do Chrono Cross and FF9 have nothing to do with each other, but they were released a year before the FF movie. Please get lost.

Anyway, why can't I be on the review staff? I'm a lot better at it than Jake Alley is. The irony is I agree with the overall score, but the individual scores and the text are pretty much crap.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"but in fact, whether or not anyone chooses to admit it, chrono cross' monsters did suck and were more similar to final fantasy monsters than they were classic chrono trigger monsters. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Seriously dude, what the hell are you talking about? Look at what you said:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"side's square showed how scary they are when the ffmovie flunked out and they fired their mana, chrono, and xeno teams and replaced them with the final fantasy people. if you look at chrono cross all the enemies are final fantasy 9 clones. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Pretty much this whole statement is wrong. The Chrono team is still around, at least, and in any case no one was "replaced" by Final Fantasy people. And CC and FF9 are 2 completely different games with two completely different dev teams. They have nothing in common. I understand you're a hater who was trying to come up with some desperate excuse to flame, but you're just coming off as annoying.
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    CainEJW:

I can only sincerely hope that the other staff members do not take offence at my statements, as they are not directed towards them at all. Indeed, it the tireless dedication in the various sections that keeps me coming back after so many years instead of simply abandoning RPGamer altogether.

Be that as it may, I hope you understand that RPGamer's reputation is only as great as its weakest members. This is as true for RPGamer as it is for any other website. If, for example, IGN suddenly began to release vague, meandering news stories lacking cohesion, I would soon find some other source for news. This division of attention means that I will be spending less and less time on IGN and more time somewhere else. I may even stop visiting IGN if I find a more interesting news source, regardless of how good their other sections might be. The same principle applies here.

I do not view Jake's FFX-2 review to be especially disastrous or irredeemably asinine - I do however view it as yet another poorly executed review among an ever-growing pile of mediocrity. Having invested countless hours of my own time and years of patronage, it simply pains me to see this low quality of work appear amongst the infinitely more elegant and inspired pieces done by everyone else. The fly in the chardonnay, as it were.

Jake has already been fired once before, but has proven that the concept of tenure does indeed apply to even internet personalities. I am not advocating a second attempt, but rather that the mantle of "Official Staff Reviewer" be given to someone else - permanently. Allow him to write supplementary reviews as all staff members are able to, but just be sure that the only reviews that make it to the front page are done by people actually motivated to do a good job.

? -Red Raven
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Dec. 09 2003,06:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"... Since when does it take a mere two years to create new cities from the ground up? ?The transformations that did take place make sense, like the rebuilding of Kilika. ?We shouldn't have new cities popping up here and there that we couldn't access in the first game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Who said anything about towns being built from the ground up in the game world? How do you know those were the only towns on the entire planet? The best way for the people of spira to survive sin would have been to have many small towns and such so they wouldn't all be wiped out in one fell swoop. Anyway, why wouldn't people want to build new towns out of nowhere now that sin is gone?

Of course personally I don't see why the people of spira didn't all live in isolated inland areas since sin never seemed to leave the water. But that's just a big storyline flaw more than anything.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I agree with Red Raven's last post. It's definitely a nicer way of puting what i was thinking...and with better wording than I'd prefer to use tounge.gif (note: i don't mean that i'd use profanity, because I never use profanity)
  • AnemoneAnemone Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Pretty much this whole statement is wrong. The Chrono team is still around, at least, and in any case no one was "replaced" by Final Fantasy people. And CC and FF9 are 2 completely different games with two completely different dev teams.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yep, much of the Xenogears/Chrono Cross production team has been working on Final Fantasy XI since early 2000. They're still around, though the writer (and FF11 event director) has recently pursued a career as a freelance scenario writer. As far as I know, Square didn't "fire" the team, though some members chose to join other studios (shortly after Tetsuya Takahashi started Monolith Soft with Namco) on their own accord.

The same goes for the Legend of Mana artists (mostly. None of the designers and only one programmer joined Brownie Brown). They chose to break away and form Brownie Brown themselves (preferred small projects, more creative freedom, and an emphasis on 2D graphics). However, that was their decision.

All this, of course, happened during the transition from PS (many projects, though rising costs were causing problems) to PS2/online games (fewer, but larger games). The FF movie wasn't a factor.
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Chalk me up as "not insulted". While I'm not saying that I agree with all of the negative comments expressed in this thread, I do think it is rather self-indulgent to suggest that as a site we are above reproach, and feedback from our readers is always appreciated, even if it does happen to be negative.
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    On just a side thought to all this: I don't see why the staff reviews are really given their own topic outside of the points of view topics. Those really should hold those discussions too, and instead for quite a few weeks now many of the more discussion oriented reviews are being posted in their own topics. Why not keep it all in Points of View like it appears that it would belong?

on topic:
    Red Raven eloquently describes one of the problems. I'll describe another. In theory, Cain is correct that all of the staff are separate people and do varying levels of quality work. In reality, most people don't see that. They see a 'group'. A group that they believe is up to some certain level of quality based on past observation and are surprised when it dips far below that level. Your 'staff' reviews should be your best written reviews. The ones that are, if not written by the PoV staff themselves, written by your more talented reviewers on the staff and scrutinized extra to make sure they are a quality review. Most people are going to see 'staff' well before seeing 'Jake Alley' or even considering which of the staff is writing it. They are going to, in respecting the site, give it more weight and importance than the average review. And it's better for them to at least come away with the perception that it is a well written review, even if they don't agree with it. Basically, poor craftsmanship on one quite visible area of the site leads to the, likely incorrect, assumption that poor craftsmanship is around at many areas of the site. It may be an irresponsible assumption, but it's one many will make. The more frequently I can click the staff reviews on the side of the page and find a mediocre review, the less frequency I'll click either there or the PoV section in general.

Grar -_-

EDIT: In hindsight, I merely reworded the same general thing. Oh well, sorry 'bout that.

Dracos
    *off to finals*

• DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (watcher @ Dec. 10 2003,01:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Desh @ Dec. 09 2003,06:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"... Since when does it take a mere two years to create new cities from the ground up? ?The transformations that did take place make sense, like the rebuilding of Kilika. ?We shouldn't have new cities popping up here and there that we couldn't access in the first game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Who said anything about towns being built from the ground up in the game world? How do you know those were the only towns on the entire planet? The best way for the people of spira to survive sin would have been to have many small towns and such so they wouldn't all be wiped out in one fell swoop. Anyway, why wouldn't people want to build new towns out of nowhere now that sin is gone?

Of course personally I don't see why the people of spira didn't all live in isolated inland areas since sin never seemed to leave the water. But that's just a big storyline flaw more than anything.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    By the simple yet amazing game logic that, if you don't see the town, it's not there, all the towns present in FFX made up the entirety of the world as we know it. The original airship's Search feature would have found them if they were there, after all.

Mmm... Game logic...
    edited December 2003
    Oh, no, no. I wasn't saying people were insulted, just some may read the stataments like RPGamer is not quality and become insulted. The only person I can speak for is myself, and I'm not insulted by any of the comments.

I agree that giving Jake's editorial/review here the Official stamp could make RPGamer look bad. I also agree it was subpar, considering I had a review whipped up withint a week of getting the game, and it was good in my opinion.

I was just saying that someone could be insulted by the "Quality. Control" remarks. Though, yes, it is wise to make sure everything in RPGamer's name is top-notch it still can be viewed as insulting to the staff.

Sorry I made it seem like people were insulted. As far as I know, no one is. I, like Cast, believe we are not above reproach.

Hopefully you understand what I mean.