If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Points of View - Time Management

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited December 2003 in Latest Updates
My relatives would throttle me if they knew I was posting this update eight hours before the first of three final exams and a massive paper (which counts towards 25% of the top class of my major).

Well, it's done now. ?Two big props to everyone though: thanks for sending in material, and thanks to most of you for cutting down on the word length. ?Remember: A review with over 2000 words is one that will likely be postponed by us (or ignored altogether). ?You have been warned. ?Also, for those who are curious about my sporadic email responses, I think the update topic explains it all. ?However, my last final is done on Wednesday, so feel free to blitz then. ?I'll get back to you...somehow.

Exeunt stage right

Comments

• OtterlandOtterland Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2003
    Um, wrong title on my Suikoden III retroview (you've repeated my Final Fantasy Adventure retroview's title twice). And what's with the lime font? I don't think I've seen that for any reviewer status...

By the way, an interesting little tidbit about FF Adventure I found out recently. Supposedly, it was a gaiden of Final Fantasy 3 (the NES Japanese version), where the Mana Tree is midly referenced. Interesting...
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Both have been fixed. Silly HTML guidelines and requiring quotation of color ;)
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"By the way, an interesting little tidbit about FF Adventure I found out recently. Supposedly, it was a gaiden of Final Fantasy 3 (the NES Japanese version), where the Mana Tree is midly referenced. Interesting...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    uh... I dunno 'bout that, dude. Desh! Where are you! Say something!

You actually played through Final Fantasy Adventure in one sitting?

and... good heavens, is that an otter wearing a blonde wig?
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Am I the only one thinking that giving Xenogears a 9 in Localization is just....wrong? I mean, the game has more grammatical problems and spelling errors than most other RPGs.

I also felt that the Shadow Hearts review was way too harsh at some places. It is true that some newer RPGs tend to have the FF-wannabe-feeling, but Shadow Hearts is hardly one of those games. It even puts in a slight mix of another genre, making it less like most other RPGs in the first place.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • minneyarminneyar Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Yeah, I did think Xenogears' localization was a bit rough. ?Overall, the review is pretty good, even if he gave music/sound an 8 and never even talked about it (personally, Xenogears has one of my favorite soundtracks).

Also, if you liked Xenogears' plot, you might want to check out a PC RPG called Planescape: Torment. ?I would say that Xenogears has the second best plot I've seen in an RPG, after Torment. ?The writing and voice acting in Torment are much better, too.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Minneyar @ Dec. 16 2003,18:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I would say that Xenogears has the second best plot I've seen in an RPG, after Torment. ?The writing and voice acting in Torment are much better, too.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Heh. I just posted something like that in the Console RPG section (although I like XG before PS:T).

Indeed, Torment has one of the most incredible plotlines I have ever experienced. At least if you play with high wis/int/char points.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Josh CzoskiJosh Czoski Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It even puts in a slight mix of another genre, making it less like most other RPGs in the first place.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Umm . . . another genre?

I'd just like to point out that Shadow Hearts got mixed reviews in the first place, and without repeating my points, I'm from the camp with a low opinion of it. As I mentioned, people talking about its originality blow my mind, but . . . whatever, if it seemed original to them, more power to them, I guess. I thought people should get the warning of the mixed reactions loud and clear before starting on it (I wished I had at the time).
  • Options
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You actually played through Final Fantasy Adventure in one sitting?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Not hard.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I agree almost completely with TheShroud13 about Xenogears ? great story, inexplicably tedious gameplay that discourages you from continuing that story. I wasn't actually as happy about the plot as he was, though. I wrote a retroview of XG as well (in light of the re-release and all), so I guess you'll see that when it gets posted.
  • kardas_heartkardas_heart New Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Maybe I was too absorbed by the story but I had no problem with the gameplay. Except Babel tower...