The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Best RPG Battle music?

Evil King StanEvil King Stan MemberFull Members
edited February 2004 in Role Playing Games
I think the title explains it enough. And why not, let's add boss music too...

My alltime favorite battle music is from Okage: Shadow King. Not the one when travelling on the map, but the battle music for the dungeons.
And the runner ups are- Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, Final Fantasy IV, and Xenosaga.

And my favorite boss music is "Other World" in FFX. Freakin' sweet...

And the runner ups (Quite a few of these) - Breath of Fire III, Breath of Fire IV, Final Fantasy IV, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger's Magus Battle, music in Final Fantasy X-2 when you fight LeBlanc and her syndicates, Okage: Shadow King when you fight the Vampire Evil King.

A post like this hasn't already been made, has it? If it has, you have my apolagies, I just tried a search and I didn't find one, but I'm not too great at using that search thing...

Comments

• SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    id have to go for kingdom hearts when your first battle in traverse town as sora on his own or the battle theme from grandia 2 biggrin.gif
  • sephirothsdisciplesephirothsdisciple Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Simple.

One Winged Angel (who would have thought i would have said that)

Seriously though, not only is this the best Battle music but probably the best music to be found in a RPG, its just simply amazing.

Also good ones are, Fighting from FF7 as well*the piano version is amazing too*, and the Boss Music from Secret of Mana, for some reason that hardcore midi guitar techno music got me pumped and ready for action!!
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Oh, I gotta give the award to Tsugunai! All the music, including battle music, is awesome! The last 3 last boss song is even better!
  • DevilMayCareDevilMayCare Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Breath of Fire V: Dragon Quarter's first battle theme is classic, then there's Grandia 2's rocking battle theme..and some others I can't remember at the moment.
  • edited December 2003
    Laguna's battle theme from FFVIII is my all time favorite. It gets the blood pumpin'.
  • S E P H I R O T HS E P H I R O T H Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I'd say either OWA, MWTMG or Liberi Fatali... All awesome songs.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Boss theme -> Xenogears - Awakening

Battle theme -> Grandia Xtreme
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Tough call.

Messanger of Darkness, from FFIX, because it has the crazy-cheesy-gothicy-rock thing going on.

The Chase, from Suikoden II, because it felt frantic and evil and stuff.

Gothic Neclord, from Suikoden II, because it had this really complex, sweeping melancholy undertone underneath some phat-catchy beats.

One Who Bares Fangs at God, from Xenogears, because it accentuated the cerebral/metaphyical world that Fei existed in at that moment.

Last Battle, from XenoSaga, because it was epic.

Although, those are all boss themes. ?Typical battle themes tend to get irritating, since you have to listen to them so many times. ?But if I had to pick one... it'd have to be Fou-lu's battle theme from Breath of Fire IV.

• Evil King StanEvil King Stan Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Seriously though, not only is this the best Battle music but probably the best music to be found in a RPG, its just simply amazing.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

In ways that's one of my favorites, and in ways it's not. I've heard other versions of it, and I love the other versions much better than the one that they play in FFVII. The one they play in FFVII has something about it that I find kind of ruins it, but the other ones I heard were very amazing... I found one, was it from Kingdom Hearts?? Wherever it was from, it was incredibly excellent.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Fou-lu's battle theme from Breath of Fire IV.

There's another one! I had forgotten about that one, because about 5 or 6 months ago I downloaded it and listened to it so much that I was sick of it tounge.gif but I'm back to loving it again
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Oh, wait. I was wrong. This post never existed.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • ArayaAraya Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sephirothsdisciple @ Dec. 20 2003,10:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Simple.

One Winged Angel (who would have thought i would have said that)

Seriously though, not only is this the best Battle music but probably the best music to be found in a RPG, its just simply amazing.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Agreed.
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited December 2003
    Zeromus Battle

And the battle music in Gladius is pretty kicking rad as well.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Regular battle:

FFVIII: Don't Be Afraid & Man with the Machine Gun

Grandia II: Fight! ver. 1

Xenogears: Stage of Death

Xenosaga: Battle

Boss battle:

FFIV: Battle 2

FFX: Enemy Attack

Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter: A Moment of Joy

Wild Arms 3: Crossfire Sequence

Final battle:

FFVIII: Maybe I'm a Lion

FFX: Otherworld(Braska's Final Aeon version)

Grandia II: Fight! ver. 5

Xenogears: Awakening

Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • S E P H I R O T HS E P H I R O T H Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Ah crap, I completely forgot about "Maybe i'm a Lion"!!

That has to be one of the best FF songs...
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    My favorite battle music is Xenosaga's, it just fits the overall climate of it. Other battle music that is good is the one from Bof4 and the boss theme for BoF3, ah those were the days.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I'm not very fond of any RPG's normal battle music. Like RPG normal battles themselves, they're mostly fairly boring and filler-ish. As for boss music:

Xenogears ? Awakening (It's not the greatest piece ever, but I love how it mixes in both the "Deus" lietmotif and what sounds like Hindu singing)

Chrono Cross ? People Seized with Life (I like how it continues from the cutscene before into the battle. Now if only that cutscene had made more sense...)

Chrono Trigger ? Boss Battle 2 (Mainly for the opening strains, which give you the feeling of "Oh s***, something huge is happening" in a way that's kind of cheesy, but also very cool ? like the rest of the game, actually)

Chrono Trigger ? Whatever the track that plays when you fight the second form of Lavos is (It gives you this ecstatic feeling of spirited, climatic combat... much like a lot of scenes in Return of the King, now that I think about it)
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Chrono Trigger ? Whatever the track that plays when you fight the second form of Lavos is[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    World Revolution is the title of that track.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I thought so, but I'd also heard the main Lavos theme (which plays when you fight Lavos' first form) referred to as World Revolution.
    edited December 2003
    The actual correct title for that track is The Day the World Revived, which seems rather oxymoronic and artsy. I like it.
  • RomeasRomeas Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Final Fantasy on the NES for battle, world map, and everything else. F34R.
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    The big boss music in FF6. Though Shadow Madness' music deserves and honorable mention. A pretty horrible game, yes, but it did have some kick ass music. And it's the only RPG (that I know of) that's incorperated random pieces of music for random battles, which is an idea I always though would be cool, rather than have the exact same music for almost every random battle in the game.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Evil King Stan @ Dec. 20 2003,08:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Seriously though, not only is this the best Battle music but probably the best music to be found in a RPG, its just simply amazing.

In ways that's one of my favorites, and in ways it's not. ?I've heard other versions of it, and I love the other versions much better than the one that they play in FFVII. ?The one they play in FFVII has something about it that I find kind of ruins it, but the other ones I heard were very amazing... I found one, was it from Kingdom Hearts?? Wherever it was from, it was incredibly excellent.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Fou-lu's battle theme from Breath of Fire IV.

There's another one! I had forgotten about that one, because about 5 or 6 months ago I downloaded it and listened to it so much that I was sick of it tounge.gif but I'm back to loving it again[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    where do you get fou lou's (breath of fire 4) battle theme from?
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    No idea but that song was good, I liked the way they put like that oriental sound into it.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Any music from Grandia or Lunar series.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cetus @ Dec. 21 2003,08:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"No idea but that song was good, I liked the way they put like that oriental sound into it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The song is simply called "Fighters." And it's not Fou-Lu's battle theme specificly, it's the Western Continent's battle theme. But since Fou-Lu spends all of his time on said continent, that's all you hear with him.

It's also an elusive song to download, if that's your preferred method of getting it. It took me awhile to find it.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited December 2003
    I may be the only one, but I really like the rather calm and ambient music that accompanies Aya Brea in Parasite Eve whenever she enters into combat.

"Yeah, there is a skinless monkey hurling boomerang arms at me, but wow, this music is SOOO soothing that...ZzzzzZZZz..." biggrin.gif

The Suikoden series has also always had really good battle music to accompany various situations...the best of which, I think, is the war music from Suikoden II. I am a sucker for any type of pseudo-gothic choir.
    edited December 2003
    Man, I can't believe I forgot Parasite Eve. Thank you, Jowy. Yes, Arise Within You is a very above average battle tune. The dark, ambiant undercurrents of the song really accentuate the bleaker themes and atmosphere of the game.
  • Red ShiftRed Shift Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Regular battle: FF7

Boss battle:

Awakening from Xenogears: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/sony/ps1/awaken.mid
  • Yellow 11Yellow 11 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Everyone voting for Grandia II, uh which battle theme? tounge.gif
    There's one for when you get "surprised," one normal, and one for when you have the initiative. I prefer the surprised one, even if it gets me killed every now and then. (One of the things I did to make it more challenging was no out-of-battle healing. Keep the spells at 1 or 2 stars.)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Chrono Trigger ? Whatever the track that plays when you fight the second form of Lavos is (It gives you this ecstatic feeling of spirited, climatic combat... much like a lot of scenes in Return of the King, now that I think about it) [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    That's the one where he's got half of himself stuck in the ground right? If so, that's a good one.
    I haven't played most of these new RPGs. I'm so far behind. And getting farther now that I found a place to get old DC games cheap. (Nothing beats Gigawing 2's music. Nothing. It's freakin' CIRCUS MUSIC!!!! Calliopes abound! And with all the stunts you have to pull to survive, it's suiting to the game's atmosphere.)
    Before FFX, I played BoF4, so yeah the gap is getting a tad bit bigger. Anything on that continent was good.
    I'll probably be the odd one out, but I liked BoF3's music, excluding the music in the scenes where you need to walk for 70 miles straight. (Who thought that was a good idea, really? Snoozy "soul" music combined with plain old walking...Bad Capcom!)
    The rest of it made me think at any moment Teepo would come riding down from the sky in a flying machine resembling a chariot with the "Cadillac" logo on the sides and start a saxophone solo. Heh. Go fig that I normally hate jazz too.
    I like all of Burmecia and Cleyra's stuff too, but it'd be so much better if they were actual CD driven pieces. Augh. I hate Midi, or anything that sounds like it. HatehatehatehateHATEHATE....It makes everything sound so terrible. It's more the tonal vibration than the actual music I liked in that game. (Hmm I really need to find the FF9 OST some day, hope it's improved over the game. Hooray procrastination! "If you wait long enough eventually it'll be done by somebody else.")