The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Top 3 RPG

Comments

• CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    hm well..

Disgaea

Xenosaga

Suikoden 3
  • avsavs Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I am starting to agree with Disgaea being up there too.. This game is SO addictive. It's really, really deep for stat freaks like me. I'm really happy I did pick one up.
  • DragonsoulDragonsoul Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LukeTSManager @ Jan. 07 2004,10:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I gave one of my reasons (points up about barret).

I just figured I would start the name calling early. ?No matter how hard I try not to name call some one usually does it to me first. ?So I started out fast smile.gif. ?Oh yea... You are an idiot too.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, you gave a reason--AFTER you were called at the point of not giving a reason. I'm not too terribly impressed with that. Besides, if you are upset with the game complain about the game, not the person. There's no reason to bring name-calling into any of it. I don't care if you're paranoia and think people will jump on your ass so you instead jump at someone else for no reason. Do you realize who crazy that sounds? I'm really not trying to be difficult. Just drop this stupid 'U R idiot'.
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dragonsoul @ Jan. 08 2004,08:18)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LukeTSManager @ Jan. 07 2004,10:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I gave one of my reasons (points up about barret).

I just figured I would start the name calling early. ?No matter how hard I try not to name call some one usually does it to me first. ?So I started out fast smile.gif. ?Oh yea... You are an idiot too.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, you gave a reason--AFTER you were called at the point of not giving a reason. I'm not too terribly impressed with that. Besides, if you are upset with the game complain about the game, not the person. There's no reason to bring name-calling into any of it. I don't care if you're paranoia and think people will jump on your ass so you instead jump at someone else for no reason. Do you realize who crazy that sounds? I'm really not trying to be difficult. Just drop this stupid 'U R idiot'.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No my problem was with the person because of what he thought. I thought what you said was the most rediculous thing I ever read. Since I gave you a reason you can start listing yours because you have not done that yet.

And you are still an idiot.
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Luke, what is it about being civil and not flaming can't you understand or comprehend? ?How does someone having a different from yours make them an idiot?

edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (generator @ Jan. 08 2004,16:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Luke, what is it about being civil and not flaming can't you understand or comprehend? ?How does someone having a different from yours make them an idiot?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    How come this only matters when I do it?

It has been done to me about 6 or 7 times and no one has complained about them.

I'm telling you... it is all because I do not have an anime sig... laugh.gif
  • FF_Freak_4_LifeFF_Freak_4_Life Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LukeTSManager @ Jan. 07 2004,02:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Final Fantasy VII
    Well, it marks the beginning of FF's maturing. It's darker, more adult and a tad deeper than any of the FF's before it. Also, the characters ooze with personality and you can't help but feel for at least one of them as if they were real. And finally, the materia system rules. ?smile.gif
    And you are an idiot.

Alright time for my top 3.

1. ?Uncharted Waters: New Horizons - Yes I know I rant and rave about this game all the time.. if you have played it then you would know why it is so great. ?If not then download the rom for SNES since it is not available for purchase anymore. ?It only runs on SNES9X.

2. ?Elder Scrolls Chapter 1: Arena - I bought this game right when it came out for 70 dollars! ?I did not know what I was buying. ?And to tell you the truth I was hesitant. ?This game was everthing I wanted it it be. ?It was like another world for myself to live in. ?Which worked out well because I was grounded at the time smile.gif.

3. ?Tales Of Phantasia, Star Ocean 1, Suikoden 2 - I can't decide which one to pick for third place. ?This sucks.
    <span id='postcolor'>

Well, well! Aren't we the bold one! The least you could do is at least give a valid reason as to why you think i'm , as you put so gently, "an idiot". Why? Because you disagree with my OPINION? ?yeh, so I think FF VII was the series real entry into darker and more mature ?things, so? Sure FF VI had a hand in it, but the way I see it, it only hinted at what was to come, it wasn't the full on transition, the beginning, maybe, but not the whole transition, and that's where FF VII comes in for me. Yeh, and i actually think the characters have lots of personality. more realistic personality at that. If you disagree with me, that's fine, that's why we can think for ourselves, but to call me an idiot, because you disagree with me, is so childish, it's disgusting. Now as for how deep FF VII is, compared to the others, if you read my post, i said a TAD deeper, not WORLDS deeper, maybe I was jumping the gun a bit, maybe ?I didn't think all the way through(you'd think i would, as I 've played every FF thus far), but i'll think about it a bit more, and Iif I realize i was wrong, I'll tell you, if not, i'll still tell you.

• SilvermaneSilvermane Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Your making me choose, how evil of you people. tounge.gif

Lets see here:

Suikoden 2---this game is engaging enough for me to pay $100 for, mint condition.

Xenogears---Anime/game masterpeice

Tales of Destiny---I have never seen another game that has weapons that level up as you do and how can you not love sentient swords?

*edit* My tired brain noticed some typos.

edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Silvermane @ Jan. 08 2004,19:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Suikoden 2---this game is engaging enough for me to pay $100 for, mint condition.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! JESUS CHRIST THAT'S EXPENSIVE!

And to think I saw this game on sale at gamestop used...

I could of sold it for profit to you or people like you!
    edited January 2004
    Luke, are you a child? Because calling anyone an idiot for simply having a different opinion is a childish thing to do. I don't care how many people do it. It does not excuse you. I actually don't agree with FFFreakforlife, but I do acknowledge that he has the right to his opinion. And state my reasons? For what? For pointing out the stupdity of name-calling? For pointing out how childish you were being? Fine. I didn't chase after you for any benefit to myself. I pointed it out because I believe FFFreakforLife has the right to say his opinion whether you agree with it or not and the right not to be insulted for it.
    Now shut up. *smiles*
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dragonsoul @ Jan. 09 2004,08:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Luke, are you a child? Because calling anyone an idiot for simply having a different opinion is a childish thing to do. I don't care how many people do it. It does not excuse you. I actually don't agree with FFFreakforlife, but I do acknowledge that he has the right to his opinion. And state my reasons? For what? For pointing out the stupdity of name-calling? For pointing out how childish you were being? Fine. I didn't chase after you for any benefit to myself. I pointed it out because I believe FFFreakforLife has the right to say his opinion whether you agree with it or not and the right not to be insulted for it.
    Now shut up. *smiles*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why can't I call people an idiot when I want whenever I want durring a discussion? Everyone else does it? Are you harping on them? No you aren't...

I am all for his opinion. I am not saying he can't have that opinion. But I can think he is an idiot for thinking that way. Which I really do...

Listen you should really stop posting and realize I have not been taking any of this seriously. I am merely pulling your chains. Honestly.
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LukeTSManager @ Jan. 08 2004,19:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    How come this only matters when I do it?

It has been done to me about 6 or 7 times and no one has complained about them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You're the only person I've seen do it, so therefore you're the only person I've said something to. ?Makes sense, doesn't it?

• GupGup Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Suikoden II - nice story without the typical "save the world" stuff.

Grandia II - Best main character and battle system ever!

Final Fantasy VII - The game that got me into RPGs.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LukeTSManager @ Jan. 09 2004,06:54)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dragonsoul @ Jan. 09 2004,08:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Luke, are you a child? Because calling anyone an idiot for simply having a different opinion is a childish thing to do. I don't care how many people do it. It does not excuse you. I actually don't agree with FFFreakforlife, but I do acknowledge that he has the right to his opinion. And state my reasons? For what? For pointing out the stupdity of name-calling? For pointing out how childish you were being? Fine. I didn't chase after you for any benefit to myself. I pointed it out because I believe FFFreakforLife has the right to say his opinion whether you agree with it or not and the right not to be insulted for it.
    Now shut up. *smiles*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why can't I call people an idiot when I want whenever I want durring a discussion? ?Everyone else does it? ?Are you harping on them? ?No you aren't...

I am all for his opinion. ?I am not saying he can't have that opinion. ?But I can think he is an idiot for thinking that way. ?Which I really do...

Listen you should really stop posting and realize I have not been taking any of this seriously. ?I am merely pulling your chains. ?Honestly.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Fine, let's stop this. I'm bored already. *smiles*
  • AragornAragorn Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I've thought this out before so picking the top 3 is pretty easy for me.

Xenogears.
    Has the most intricate and involving plot in any RPG I've ever played. The battle system whether in-Gear or hand-to-hand is also very enjoyable. Also has great music. My absolute favorite RPG.

Final Fantasy 6.
    Great plot, awesome cast of characters, and an amazing soundtrack.

Chrono Trigger.
    Great battle system, yet another game with great music, and quite possibly the most replayable game ever made.

Yes, I am confident those are the 3 best games I've ever played.
  • edited January 2004
    Skies of arcardia(only on the real dreamcat)
    FF7(no comment)
    Grandia nice fights !!!
    What is the release date of skies of arcadia 2 and on which platform ?
  • SilvermaneSilvermane Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Ive heard a rumor that Skies of Arcadia 2 will be on the PS2. Thats all I know for the moment.
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I dont want to catogorize by individual title because all the games in these 3 series are awesome: 1.Shenmue 2.The Legend of Zelda 3.Final Fantasy. other kick ass RPG series/games Grandia,Xeno,Lunar,Wild Arms,BOF,Arc the Lad,KH,Tales series, Star Ocean,Phantasy Star,Chrono,Parasite Eve,Y's,Skies of Arcadia, Shining series

now to name a few of the games I am looking forward too, Star Ocean 3, Final Fantasy XII, Fable, True Fantasy Live Online,Skies of Arcadia 2 (no news on it recently WTF?), DrakenGard, Baten Kaitos, FF Crystal Chronicles, Tales of Symphonia, Dragon Quest VII, Kingdom Hearts 2, Wild Arms: Alter Code F, Xenosaga episode II, Jade Empire, Full Metal Alchemist, Harvest Moon: A wonderfull life,

• NeuromancerNeuromancer Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Oh yeah, time to chuck in the 2 cents:

1)FF 7 - best RPG experience ever... EVER

2)Star Ocean 2 - the most fun I've ever had playing an RPG; those battles were awesome

3) Phatasy Star 4 - this is the one that actually got me into playing RPGs; best ending to an RPG series ever
  • LeetdudeLeetdude Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    1. Chrono Trigger - Perhaps it's purely nostalgia, but I just have fun playing the game. Its battle system is one of the most enjoyable I've ever played, and no matter how many times I play it, the game does not get old. It's all you need.

2. Final Fantasy Tactics - Besides one of the best storylines in a video game of all time, it also has an excellent battle system, taking the best from Tactics Ogre and mixing in some of its own elements. It's quite a long game, and it can be customized to no end, making it even better.

3. I'm not really sure. Somewhere in between Illusion of Gaia (no flames, dang it!), Castlevania SotN, Ogre Battle 64, and Grandia II... too many great games.
  • SlaideSlaide New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    always a difficult question...

Notable mentions: Any suikoden, Valkyrie Profile, FF 4 and 6.

3. Chrono Trigger

2. Final Fantasy 7

1. Xenogears
  • edited January 2004
    IF you call shenmue a rpg of course its the best ONE no question
  • HotRodimusPrimeHotRodimusPrime New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I'm only going on all RPG's I have ever played so don't bash me to much.

1. Grandia 2
    2. Chrono Trigger
    3. Lunar: Eternal Blue

Shout out to
    Skies of Arcadia
    Lunar: The Silver Star
    Tales of Phantasia
    Phantasy Star 4(the RPG that got me into RPG's)
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (avs @ Jan. 07 2004,18:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I am starting to agree with Disgaea being ?up there too.. This game is SO addictive. It's really, really deep for stat freaks like me. I'm really happy I did pick one up.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I know man, I haven't even been progressing in the story a lot and I have about 52 hours on the game. I'm kind of the stat freak myself plus a 2d lover so...it definately tops first in my list.
  • ClaySly78ClaySly78 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Final Fantasy X
    Grandia 2
    Zelda: Link to the past
  • L StencilL Stencil Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ClaySly78 @ Jan. 18 2004,13:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Final Fantasy X
    Grandia 2
    Zelda: Link to the past[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    FFX
    Grandia II
    The Legend of Zelda
  • edited January 2004
    mine will prolly have to be:

1. Chrono Trigger
    2. FFVII
    3. Legend of Zelda LTTP
  • JordanJordan Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Hmmm.... I'd have to go with...

1. Xenogears (Best Story, characters... everything...!)

2. Skies of Arcadia(original and Legends... I guess Legends is better since it's basically the same exact game with extra stuff added)(this game is just plain incredibly fun...)

3. Legend of Legaia(Best.... Battle System.... EVER... I love all the characters too)

Later

• sharkysharky New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Shining Force series---

Alot of you most likely never played the third game in the series of this but its probably the most amazing game i have ever played in my life there is just SO much in this game you would not beleve and thats a magor understatment there is so much i honistly dont no were to start.I mean there is even things like if your in a battle and you talk to an enemy with one player the one that can relate to that enemy like a dragonite worrier talk to a dragon.. it will join your team but if you kill the dragon with that dragonite worrier it will join you but u cant control him and if u kill him with another player its gone for good. Shining Force 3 is the god of all RPG's
    ITS JUST AMAZING!!!

Skies Of Arcadia---

Skies has every thing out standing gameplay and story battle system and side quests.. people say its SEGA's Final Fantasy
    but I'd say it was way better. your a pirate and you get in to deep s**t with the empirals and then find out about they massive plan to destroy the world useing massive beasts built in the past for fighting. you start of like a cabbin boy and in the end you have your own Island,ship and you hire your cure from around the world..Beleave me when i say WOW ?laugh.gif

Phantasy Star series---

Phantasy Star was amazing 1 2 and 3 were great but 4
    had loads of cool things in it and it was one of the RPG's that got me into RPG's along with SF2. they were both amazing series for there time.
    then there is PSO I dont think i have ever spent more time online on a game .. i used up a hole summer playing that game with my mates. We hardly saw daylight. It was so fun
    I cant weight for PSO E3 card battleing or not.

(~Now you have most likely noticed there all from SEGA.. and well yer i am a bit of a fanboy .. not like i will go to extreams
    but i mean .. i have good reson to be just take a look at there games.~)

• RookRook Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    3. FF7 - Its hard to decide between this game and FF10 for 3rd place. I put 7 there becasue when the game came out in 1997 it was so far ahead of any game that had ever been created. Also if it wasn't for FF7 I would have never had a chance to play my 1st and 2nd fav. RPG.

2. Xenogears - the story is so damn good that if it was a book it would the best sci-fi tale I ever read. The best collection of antagionists (Miang, Krelian, Id, Gazel Ministry etc) in videogame history. However, slow text speed, poor voice acting, Squaresoft's budget constraints and a couple tedious dungeons (on ex. being the sewers) keep this game out of the top slot.

1. Xenosaga - Awesome story that is almost up to par with Xenogears. Great Voice Acting, awesome cutscenes and the best collection of protagionists (Jr. KOS-MOS, Shion, Gaigun etc.) in a game. Its No1 because the dungeons aren't as tedious as XG's and therefore a more fun game to play. I love the long cutscenes, for me its like getting an RPG with fun battle customizible battle system with a 10hr anime series tucked in for only $50 (now $20)