If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Major RPG let-downs

MuusMuus MemberFull Members
edited February 2004 in Role Playing Games
Which games where your biggest disappointments?
You thought the game would be so cool and then it tourned out to be average or even worse.
I'll just start with a few:

Legend of Mana:
Thought it to be a superb sequel but it turned out to be a really bad game. I didn't like it at all sad.gif I didn't like the story, the characters the fightingsystem (only left and right hitting) and the multiplayer was because of all the pantnerchanging not nearly as good as in the SoMs

Vandal Hearts 2:
Part 1 was a really good game but part 2 was simply horrible

Breath of Fire 5:
I loved part 2 and 4 smile.gif But part 5 was in my opinion a big disappointment. I expected so much more of this game and found myself not liking it at all in the end sad.gif (AND the fishing game isn't there anymore)

Suikoden 3:
I know I know ... it WAS a good game. But all the same ... you just can't get around noticing that the main producer left when the game was half completed eh.gif
The game could have been so much better !!!
first of all it was a bit short, considering how much time the walking around and all the treasure bosses killed and how litte you really did in the game confused.gif But that wasn't the bad part about it:
There were just so many things obviously not finished sad.gif
Look at the boat in the castle. Why is there a boat and a big lake when you never get to use it ?!?
And all the stuff inside of the castle ... spiderwebs broken walls and so on ... You just have to nitice it and think: "WOW this is all going to change at some point of the game and in the end i'm gonna have a REALLY cool castle". But nope it didn't eh.gif thinking about it makes me really dare the next suikoden when even all the good ideas will be gone when only the new producer is there wow.gif
PLEASE get the one back who created part 1 and 2 !!!

Well that are about all the came to my mind now

So long

Comments

• Options
    edited January 2004
    Final Fantasy VIII.

Perhaps I expected too much? Of course, I like the game much more now than I did the first time I played it... as a matter of fact, I didn't like the game at all at the time. The straightforwardness of the relatively slow-paced storyline was bearable enough, but the lack of freedom given on Disc 4 was the X-factor. Now, however, I've come to like the cast of characters and very much enjoy the flexibility of the Junction system, but to this day, FFVIII still remains as one of the worst Final Fantasy games I've ever played.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Er...lack of freedom on disc 4? I'm not sure what you mean. Disc 4 didn't seem any less free then the others.
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Jan. 07 2004,16:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Er...lack of freedom on disc 4? ?I'm not sure what you mean. ?Disc 4 didn't seem any less free then the others.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, I didn't mean that in comparison to the other discs, rather, in comparison to other games of the series...

"<span class="spoiler">The Time Compression turning point in the plot completely sabotaged the end of the game so that barely any locations on the world map were not accessible. ?Maybe it's just me, but revisiting towns and dungeons are one of my favorite things to do just before going for the kill. ?In FFVIII, I'm left with a few side-quest locations, the Ragnarok, and the final dungeon, Ultimecia's Castle.</span>"
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited January 2004
    It would have been nice, but I think they got a bit lazy over at Square. Can't say that I blame them. After all, "<span class="spoiler">what would a town look like when Time is compressed, anyway? Who would be there? How would they act?</span>"

Those are a lot of details to consider and program in, and I doubt that reusing sprites and such would do it justice...not after the awesome FMV that accompanies it. Frankly, I think it is best left up to the imagination.
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Chrono Cross, Chrono Cross, Chrono Cross.

Besides the Bills losing four Super Bowls, I've never been more disappointed with anything else, ever. ?The gameplay of Trigger was fantastic.. so they changed it? ?Dumb, dumb, dumb.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Chrono Cross and Xenosaga.

The developers of CC looked at everything I loved about Chrono Trigger and intentionally did the exact opposite of those things.

Xenosaga, well... Xenogears was my favorite game, since I was able to look beyond its multitude of flaws and see the damn good plot that began to develop near the end of the first disk. Xenosaga had all of Xenogears' flaws ? pointless, tedious gameplay; terrible pacing; inane and overwritten dialogue ? but it lacked the moving plot and relatable characters that made me place XG in my #1 spot despite those problems.
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I second the nominiation for Legend of Mana. It's, like... not a game. See, in most RPGs, something bad is happening that you have to stop. Like, the evil Demon King is using the power of the 26 crystals (and 4 dark crystals that don't get mentioned until later) to destroy the world, but as the hero, you get to stop him by obtaining the Holy Sword of Cosmic Power and Light and Goodness. This, I am used to. But in Legend of Mana, the most earth-shattering thing that goes on is a cat gets caught in a tree or the post office gets blocked-up or something. Every single goal in this game leaves me with a distinct "Why am I doing this?" feeling. I thought maybe there was going to be some overarching plot that reveals itself towards the end, but there really wasn't. Actually, I did kind of think the bit about the Mana Goddess' shadow was cool, but... something about that final boss just ruined it all. Honestly, what IS that thing? It looks like a one-legged, hopping, elderly woman with a fencing sword.
    Of course, the game DID make me laugh every forty seconds, so it wasn't all bad. I mean, Nunuzac IS the best character EVER.

But, the real disappointment for me lately was Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. How do you go from a masterpiece like Symphony of the Night to that?! This game combines all bad qualities of today's games:
    a) too short
    b) poor, nonsensical plotline
    c) inexcusable translation and voice acting
    d) shallow gameplay/equipment system designed for beginners
    e) worthless "New Game Plus" unlockables that don't quite make up for a short game
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Reluctant Hero @ Jan. 07 2004,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Jan. 07 2004,16:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Er...lack of freedom on disc 4? ?I'm not sure what you mean. ?Disc 4 didn't seem any less free then the others.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, I didn't mean that in comparison to the other discs, rather, in comparison to other games of the series...

"<span class="spoiler">The Time Compression turning point in the plot completely sabotaged the end of the game so that barely any locations on the world map were not accessible. ?Maybe it's just me, but revisiting towns and dungeons are one of my favorite things to do just before going for the kill. ?In FFVIII, I'm left with a few side-quest locations, the Ragnarok, and the final dungeon, Ultimecia's Castle.</span>"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Er...again, I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. You want to be able to run around in compressed time? Because you can go back to the uncompressed world and run around, I'm sure of it.
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But in Legend of Mana, the most earth-shattering thing that goes on is a cat gets caught in a tree or the post office gets blocked-up or something.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I can recall Irwin standing on the brink of oblivion on the back of Lucemia who was preparing the devour the world. I'd say that was rather catastrophic.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Every single goal in this game leaves me with a distinct "Why am I doing this?" feeling. I thought maybe there was going to be some overarching plot that reveals itself towards the end, but there really wasn't.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sure there was. Yes, it wasn't spelled out, but Legend of Mana wasn't about saving the world. It was about saving the self. Legend of Mana was a game that allowed you to explore and interact with the world you were living within. Instead of simply striving to save it (like you have to in, as you said, every other game), you strive to know and learn more of it.

Purpose? Legend of Mana was constructed of subliminal metaphysical concepts, as opposed to a singular plot. Concepts such as the freedom of individuality, the acceptence of flawed existence, and the celebration of imperfection were at the core of the game. I really enjoyed the philosophical and metaphysical approach the game took, particularly with the Tree of Mana. "<span class="spoiler">I found it fascinating that the world was in fact not created by light, but by darkness: The Mana Goddess was everything, existence itself, Light, and the desire for Her to perceive her own self caused her to create shadows to 'see', in effect, creating substance and physical reality.</span>" Few games (if any) have achieved the depth of Legend of Mana, I've found.

Of course, my little rambling won't change your disappointed opinion because it's simply my opinion, but I've never understood the argument that the game had no purpose. It did have purpose, it just couldn't be perceived at surface value. Bah. Anyways. Diatribe over. Hate away. ^_^

My biggest disappointment?

Probably Xenosaga. Like most others, I loved Xenogears, and thought XS was going to be the God of Gaming. Alas...
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter was the biggest let-down ever.

I thought Chrono Cross was good, BTW. I didn't expect it to be like Chrono Trigger, otherwise it would've been called Chrono Trigger 2...
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    Xenosaga, Wild Arms 3, Kingdom Hearts, FFVIII
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    Vandal Hearts...it flat out sucked and i couldnt bring myself to even try the second one.
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ Jan. 07 2004,19:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Reluctant Hero @ Jan. 07 2004,17:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Er...lack of freedom on disc 4? ?I'm not sure what you mean. ?Disc 4 didn't seem any less free then the others.
    <span id='postcolor'>

"<span class="spoiler">The Time Compression turning point in the plot completely sabotaged the end of the game so that barely any locations on the world map were not accessible. ?Maybe it's just me, but revisiting towns and dungeons are one of my favorite things to do just before going for the kill. ?In FFVIII, I'm left with a few side-quest locations, the Ragnarok, and the final dungeon, Ultimecia's Castle.</span>"[/quote]
    Er...again, I'm not sure exactly what you mean here. ?You want to be able to run around in compressed time? ?Because you can go back to the uncompressed world and run around, I'm sure of it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hmm, I'm not sure that's possible. How is that possible? Is there a process? Because even if it was, that in itself would conflict with the story situation at that particular point in the game.
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Xenogears and Wild ARMs 2.
    edited January 2004
    I'm sure it is. I distinctly remember running out the front door of the castle, and down a nearby cliff, and returning somehow. Can't say I remember the exact mechanics of it, or even if it was justified in the game. Since my copy of FF8 has long since gone to ashes, perhaps someone around here has a better memory then I do, or a copy to check.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    1) Arc the Lad III
    The second one was close to perfection. In III, it turned into a world of fetch-quests and silly comments made by that stupid Lutz guy. Silly, boring and uninteresting characters. Worthless plot, total lack of depth. Recycled music, watered down battles compared to its predecessor, and on top of all, the added 3D textures practically destroyed the entire game. The entire game had the feeling "we only want to make money on the title" all over it.

2) Suikoden III
    Total lack of the highly expected Suikoden-feeling. Lack of Miki Higashino. And I guess Michiru Yamane had some really bad company (can't remember the names of the other two) while composing for this game, because this soundtrack was anything but memorable. Lack of japanese style (I thought that was one of the strongest points in the first two), wether it was music, graphics or towns.

3) ?Legend of Dragoon
    "5 billion people worked on this for 300 years so you know we've cretaed the best game evar!!!!!111" </Sony>
    Not exactly. The game was just a regular, average adventure with a few (very few) cool features. Also, I couldn't help but to feel that they had ripped some parts directly out of other RPG's.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. BoF 1, 2, 3, and 4 were all great games with a nice atmosphere. Dragon Quarter was just way too different, and not in good ways.

Legend of Dragoon: They kill off the only character that was any good. Way to make a good game guys.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I'll go with ye olde Skies of Arcadia. Now I played the "enhanced" version on Gamecube, but I didn't find nearly as much to like about that game as I'd expected after years of reading its fans rave over this "forgotten classic". At the end of the day, it ended up being a somewhat above average game: excellent writing, art, and combat were marred by a horrible engine (the overworld, in particular, was inexcusable even for a Dreamcast title), excessive random encounters, a real lack of difficulty, and a terrible finish to an otherwise good story. It's still a good game, but it doesn't quite reach that level of greatness where it really belongs.

I'd say Chrono Cross, but to be honest I was more than a little skeptical from the first moment I heard about it, so... not really much of a disappointment when it fully meets my (somewhat insulting) expectations, eh?
  • Red SonicRed Sonic Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I'm being let down by Wild Arms 3 right now. I haven't even gotten very far either, having just gotten to dungeon just past Little Rock. The game feels so unbalanced. My attacks don't do crap to any enemies anymore and I end up taking mage damage from just random enemies. It feels like I need to be ten level higher.

Plus, the ludicrous amounts of money it takes jsut to level up your weapon make if feel like this game is more of a chore than anything else.
  • MuusMuus Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    hmm ... i played WA3 and didn't realise anything like that ... but so are the kids nowadays ...

If you think that WA3 is too difficult play final fantasy 1 in "normal" mode tounge.gif

Really ... in all the new RPGs you don't have to really levelup your characters and I think that's more a disadvantage than anything to like sad.gif
    That was the best part about beyond the beyond: there was afterall a challenge when you met the end-boss
  • KensikoKensiko Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But, the real disappointment for me lately was Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. How do you go from a masterpiece like Symphony of the Night to that?! This game combines all bad qualities of today's games:
    a) too short
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Funny, I didn't find anything wrong with the translation and I thought that the actors were pretty darn good, not to mention that in the dialogue cut-scenes, the character actually move around and gesticulate...unlike Gladius where they just stand around in circles and chit-chat.

Speaking of Gladius, it wasn't really a let-down, cause I wasn't expectin much, but it really didn't do it for me. I mean, the plot behind the story is barely even an excuse for the game (you almost have to wait to change region to get a plot advancement which could take many an hour, mind you) and the loading times are god-awful at best...I mean a minute to load up the not-so-good-looking world map? What's up with that?

Besides that, there's Xenosaga. I was really anxious to get my hands on it, but the way-too-long dialogue scenes, the absolute lack of freedom (you're always thrown where you have to be...can't go back anywhere) and the lack of music in many places threw me off...

Legaia 2 = disappointment...I enjoyed the first one (innovative battle system at the time with the combo system, Artes and the Seru/Ra-Seru), but the second one just didn't do it for me. They added to the combo/Artes system, which was cool, but the rest just wasn't as good as I had hoped.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It feels like I need to be ten level higher.

Plus, the ludicrous amounts of money it takes jsut to level up your weapon make if feel like this game is more of a chore than anything else.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Um, quick question: when did you start playing RPGs (or which was your first one)?
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    About FF8: After making it to the final dungeon, you do have the ability to make your way back out to the overworld, and fly around in your ship. The problem is, since time is compressed, most locations (towns and such) are no longer accessable. Yeah, it sucks.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Jan. 08 2004,00:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"2) Suikoden III
    Total lack of the highly expected Suikoden-feeling. Lack of Miki Higashino. And I guess Michiru Yamane had some really bad company (can't remember the names of the other two) while composing for this game, because this soundtrack was anything but memorable. Lack of japanese style (I thought that was one of the strongest points in the first two), wether it was music, graphics or towns.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Indeed. The pairing system was just a horrible, horrible, horrible idea.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kensiko @ Jan. 08 2004,08:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"But, the real disappointment for me lately was Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. How do you go from a masterpiece like Symphony of the Night to that?! This game combines all bad qualities of today's games:
    a) too short

Funny, I didn't find anything wrong with the translation and I thought that the actors were pretty darn good, not to mention that in the dialogue cut-scenes, the character actually move around and gesticulate...unlike Gladius where they just stand around in circles and chit-chat.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Uuuh...Did you play a different version of the game than the rest of us then?

On topic:

Chrono Cross will always remain the biggest 'let down'.

Dracos
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Quote (Kensiko @ Jan. 08 2004,08:39)
    Quote ?
    But, the real disappointment for me lately was Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. ?How do you go from a masterpiece like Symphony of the Night to that?! ?This game combines all bad qualities of today's games:
    a) too short
    <span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Funny, I didn't find anything wrong with the translation and I thought that the actors were pretty darn good, not to mention that in the dialogue cut-scenes, the character actually move around and gesticulate...unlike Gladius where they just stand around in circles and chit-chat. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Uuuh...Did you play a different version of the game than the rest of us then?

Do you mean Castlevania or Gladius? Lol, anyway, for LOI I don't think so, but I simply don't agree with you on the translation/voice acting part is all. If you've got examples, send em this way so I can better see what you mean exactly. Uh, and btw, I don't wanna sound rude, but what do you mean by "the rest of us"? Cause that practically means that I'm the only one that disagrees with you. ?confused.gif

• SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    im gonna have to go for seiken desetsu 3 i felt it wasnt as fluid as secret of mana alathough you had the opportunity to be 6 different characters the battle system lacked something that mana had

legaia duel saga started off pretty good but than you realize that theres like 20 locations if that and you revisit them too much also you get to a certain point in the game when you can make a combo which is a hyper art and normal art which is very powerful and doesnt cost you anything therefore no enemy lasts too long also there were so many arts/attacks but unlike saga frontier 2 the different attacks didnt have strengths against certain enemies or inflict status abnormalities
    let down indeed
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kensiko @ Jan. 08 2004,09:35)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Do you mean Castlevania or Gladius? Lol, anyway, for LOI I don't think so, but I simply don't agree with you on the translation/voice acting part is all. If you've got examples, send em this way so I can better see what you mean exactly. Uh, and btw, I don't wanna sound rude, but what do you mean by "the rest of us"? Cause that practically means that I'm the only one that disagrees with you. confused.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I've yet to see anyone rightfully defend the succubus scene (as an opening example) as 'good voice acting' or even as much as 'average level' voice acting. Feel free to go replay that section and then try and explain why it's at all decent acting.

Dracos
  • MuusMuus Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"im gonna have to go for seiken desetsu 3 i felt it wasnt as fluid as secret of mana alathough you had the opportunity to be 6 different characters the battle system lacked something that mana had

wow you are the first one i meet to say that seiken densetsu 3 was a disappointment to you eh.gif
    I loved the game! bought it for about 120$, played it in japanese about 4 times (got stuck on the gost ship for about 6-7 hours when first playing sarcasm.gif the riddle there is just to hard in japanese) and I felt afterwards that I could have spend even more money and wouldn't have been disappointet at all. Then I got it a few years later emulated and translated in english and was even more happy to now understand the story and played every different story line once more biggrin.gif
    But well ... nice to see that not everyone liked the game smile.gif That will asure that the price of the next one won't surpass 1000$ 'couse everyone wants to have it at once tounge.gif

Back to topic:
    yeah crono cross was afterall a big disappointment, but I didn't feel that way about FF VIII because although i think it's the worst FF(up to X) I still think it was a good game and it didn't disappoint me that much at the time when I played it.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I've yet to see anyone rightfully defend the succubus scene (as an opening example) as 'good voice acting' or even as much as 'average level' voice acting. Feel free to go replay that section and then try and explain why it's at all decent acting.

LOL, ok, this might sound stupid, but I don't remember that scene at all! I remember the succubus from SOTN, but I can't recall one from LOI...the only image that keeps popping into my head is Medusa (go figure). Might indeed have to replay it to check, as soon as my brother gives it back to me. I usually notice the major flaws of a game though, like the awful voice-acting in Valkyrie Profile and awful translation in many a PSX RPG (notably Suikoden I&II...)...didn't mean they were bad games though.
  • SpideySpidey Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    a reply to the ff8 gripes and a ff8 spoiler:
    "<span class="spoiler"> </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"After all, "what would a town look like when Time is compressed, anyway? Who would be there? How would they act?" [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'> </span>"

I just loaded up my file, and Esthar has the exact same structure, color and shape in disk 4 as it does in disk 3. So i'd bet not much changed. I mean, the rest of the world map is the same, no new towns..no mountains moved around, nothing changed. So why should towns be? It just felt stupid. I loved the rest of the game, but I hate how they handled disk 4 time compression. It could have been done so well if they only did something like FFV's "<span class="spoiler"> merging of the two worlds </span>"