If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Major RPG let-downs

Comments

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SupraDarky @ Jan. 15 2004,21:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"AtL3 certainly wasn't great at all. But with AtL4 it got me back into this great series. At least you can't say that AtL4 is even worst than AtL3.
    Some people didn't like AtL4, but I did. It was kind of the opposite of a let-down, since I wasn't expecting much from it due to AtL3's poor and rare qualities.

Back on topic, one of the biggest let-down for me would be Legend of Mana. Oh and Alundra 2 as well.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I can't say it's worse than arc the lad 3...

I can say they ruined the battle balance in it and the writing was horrible.

Dracos
    EDIT: FIXED STUPID TYPO

• Athiestic doubtAthiestic doubt Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I couldn't believe what my money burned through when I popped in Unlimited Saga. I didn't expect anything like what it was. I had a moment of awe where it was hard to fathom I purchased a game so unfulfilling. I've never played an RPG for less hours than U.S. After the first day I just looked at my PS2 and had no desire to pop it back in. It might be good for what it's designed to do, however, I'd never been more turned off by a game. The overhead map is a chesspiece figurine that actually hops over to another section of a gameboard. Playing as another character feels lifeless because of the lame chesspieces it uses to represent them. I think it's just a really lame concept for a VIDEO game.
  • -=Magnum-PI=--=Magnum-PI=- Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Quoting text The developers of CC looked at everything I loved about Chrono Trigger and intentionally did the exact opposite of those things[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Agreed. I also felt this way about Shining Force III. It had none of the original magic that made its prequels classics.
  • cj_iwakuracj_iwakura Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Unlimited SaGa had some new characters, even if the gameplay sucked.. but nothing I say can save the damage that's been incurred against the reputation it's gotten.. Xenosaga was more changed from the original than Chrono Cross, which I thought paid LOTS of tribute to the original, especially in the incredible score. ..it was a new direction, but an incredible one.

FFVIII and FFXI are two of the worst ones I can think of.. call the latter FF Online and be done with it. But as one of the 'numerics'? No way.

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete and Eternal Blue Complete; mostly the first, but the latter had some ruinations too. Mainly the Star Dragon being removed. And Zophar.. woo, they put his character designs through the wringer.

SSSC had SO many changes, that it'd fill a small novel. "<span class="spoiler"> They ruined Alex's instrument, took away the Burg kidnappings, gave Ghaleon some of the worst lines ever, changed Luna/Meribia, and above ALL else.. Quark's murder being changed to a kidnapping. That is just heresy.
    </span>"
  • AnimeGamer183AnimeGamer183 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I have said this before and I will say it again. quit bitchin about these games non of them are SOO bad that they are total let downs not one. and another thing quit bitchin about FVIII that game is soooo awesome you people dont know what it takes to be a true otaku of RPGs...
  • bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Growlanser II. Everything that made Growlanser so amazing was absent from the sequel. To this day, I've never heard anything good said about Growlanser II from anyone that is a fan of Growlanser.

RONDE. It sucked. It sucked bad. The Majin Tensei series was really good up until this game came out (assuming you could even consider this a Majin Tensei game). I heard that a lot of Japanese Megaten fans like to pretend that RONDE was never released which is a pretty smart move.
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Breath of Fire 5: I love the BoF series to death, I even liked this part abit but it was a big let down as well. I expected so much more, especially on the next gen console..I dunno, it didn't completely live up to the BoF legacy to me.

Alundra 2- BIG letdown. I loved part one, who didn't? Lushious(sp?) enviroments, a lot of secrets, various weapons, and you could jump! it was a unique game all in its own. But Alundra 2, man what a disappointment. The 3d graphics made me wince, the enivornments were bad and it just didn't live up to it, for that they should've left it in rich, nice 2d.
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Apparently AnimeGamer there failed those little fact or opinion tests they make you take in grade school.

Anyhoo, Chrono Cross was definately a let down. They took just about everything that made CT fun and either got rid of it or transformed into something not fun. It's been said before, but I guess no harm would come from reiterating. I didn't like any of the characters half as much as I liked everyone from CT. The fighting system was not fun at all. The elements system was actually an interesting idea, but it would've been more fun if it didn't take so frickin long to alocate everybody's spells. However, I did enjoy it enough to complete in about a week. Compared to the 8 months it took me to beat my all time biggest let down game, FFIX
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cetus @ Feb. 06 2004,23:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Breath of Fire 5: I love the BoF series to death, I even liked this part abit but it was a big let down as well. I expected so much more, especially on the next gen console..I dunno, it didn't completely live up to the BoF legacy to me.

Alundra 2- BIG letdown. I loved part one, who didn't? Lushious(sp?) enviroments, a lot of secrets, various weapons, and you could jump! it was a unique game all in its own. But Alundra 2, man what a disappointment. The 3d graphics made me wince, the enivornments were bad and it just didn't live up to it, for that they should've left it in rich, nice 2d.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah!(I always gotta agree with the ppl who expected much from BOF5, but ended up highly disappointed)
  • Daniel36Daniel36 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I am probably the only person in the entire world to have been terribly let down by FF7 (YES 7!!)....

*Runs away as eggs, tomatoes, and possibly some poo gets thrown his way*

NO WAAAAAAAIT!!!

Ok, I started seriously playing RPG's on the SNES, my most favourite game of all time back then being FF6 (not having played the previous ones)

Well, I was off course very excited when I finally had the chance to buy and play FF7. It started out AWESOMELY, even though I kinda had to get used to the really high tech beginning. Then, out of nowhere, EVERYONE STARTS SWEARING LIKE MAD!!

I mean, having different characters have different personalities is all fine and well, but I mean, in my opinion, in a fantasy world there really is no place for a lot of swearing... and I mean, I don't think that, if any deity ruled that place, it would be God.... So I do not really see the need to damn Him...

Then FF8 came and all hope for a good FF game faded... I never bothered buying 9 and beyond after that... Did buy the old ones on Playstation though tounge.gif

*Stand's tall and proud as people equip their Bustersword replica's to attack*

SHWING!!!
    ACK!!!

.... I deserved that did I not? ...
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    So, you dislike the WHOLE game because some characters swore a lot?

*Slayer busts out laughing*
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Suikoden 3 was a let down to me. I didn't like the new dungeon boss system. You could return and get more treasure and some other minor things, but I still loved the game.
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I am probably the only person in the entire world to have been terribly let down by FF7 (YES 7!!)....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

No, I'm here.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Ok, I started seriously playing RPG's on the SNES, my most favourite game of all time back then being FF6 (not having played the previous ones)

Well, I was off course very excited when I finally had the chance to buy and play FF7. It started out AWESOMELY, even though I kinda had to get used to the really high tech beginning. Then, out of nowhere, EVERYONE STARTS SWEARING LIKE MAD!!

I mean, having different characters have different personalities is all fine and well, but I mean, in my opinion, in a fantasy world there really is no place for a lot of swearing... and I mean, I don't think that, if any deity ruled that place, it would be God.... So I do not really see the need to damn Him...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm sorry, but not liking a game because of certain text is just plain dumb.

edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Martyr @ Feb. 07 2004,10:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Apparently AnimeGamer there failed those little fact or opinion tests they make you take in grade school.

Anyhoo, Chrono Cross was definately a let down. They took just about everything that made CT fun and either got rid of it or transformed into something not fun. It's been said before, but I guess no harm would come from reiterating. I didn't like any of the characters half as much as I liked everyone from CT. The fighting system was not fun at all. The elements system was actually an interesting idea, but it would've been more fun if it didn't take so frickin long to alocate everybody's spells. However, I did enjoy it enough to complete in about a week. Compared to the 8 months it took me to beat my all time biggest let down game, FFIX[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    your a noob Chrono Cross is an excelent game dont get mad a at me just cause I have taste in RPGs and I like all types of inovative games I'm sorry if you get mad cause they decide to change things in games that make it different from the originals, again this little thing I like to call inovation, sure they could just do the exact thing they did over again but thats boring so they take what it had and try to make it better instead of using the same exact thing, I like this in games. sorry if I own you so hard it comes naturally too me, yeah you can like some games or RPGs and put down the other ones... but me I pretty much like it all so I can get along with everyone but I have good taste so... think what you want
    edited February 2004
    There is no such thing as "good taste." Everyone has "good taste" in their own eyes but there is no standard of "good taste." I didn't like Chrono Cross that much, and I felt that way before I played Chrono Trigger and CT was so much better to me.
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Hoo boy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"dont get mad a at me just cause I have taste in RPGs [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not mad at you for your taste in RPGs. Your post struck a cord with me because you basically said that we're not as good as you because we don't like every single RPG we've ever played. People who flame others over their opinions is a pretty big pet peeve of mine.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    I'm sorry if you get mad cause they decide to change things in games that make it different from the originals, again this little thing I like to call inovation, sure they could just do the exact thing they did over again but thats boring so they take what it had and try to make it better instead of using the same exact thing,
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

True, doing the same thing over and over again can kinda suck. This is a big reason why I found FFIX so boring. But that doesn't mean that I should automatically love it when a sequel is made that takes elements of the previous game and "improves" upon it. It's not the actual change I don't like, I'm all for change, it's the way they did it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"but me I pretty much like it all so I can get along with everyone but I have good taste so[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Who doesn't think they have good taste?

The whole opinion arguement has been played out many times, and I don't really feel like starting another discussion about it. So, whatever, think what you want, I'll exit from this paticular conversation now.

*wallows in his n00bness*
  • CetusCetus Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daniel36 @ Feb. 07 2004,11:21)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I am probably the only person in the entire world to have been terribly let down by FF7 (YES 7!!)....

*Runs away as eggs, tomatoes, and possibly some poo gets thrown his way*

NO WAAAAAAAIT!!!

Ok, I started seriously playing RPG's on the SNES, my most favourite game of all time back then being FF6 (not having played the previous ones)

I mean, having different characters have different personalities is all fine and well, but I mean, in my opinion, in a fantasy world there really is no place for a lot of swearing... and I mean, I don't think that, if any deity ruled that place, it would be God.... So I do not really see the need to damn Him...

Then FF8 came and all hope for a good FF game faded... I never bothered buying 9 and beyond after that... Did buy the old ones on Playstation though tounge.gif

*Stand's tall and proud as people equip their Bustersword replica's to attack*

SHWING!!!
    ACK!!!

.... I deserved that did I not? ...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well I liked 7 lol maybe because it was the first Final Fantasy I've played buit hey everyone has their opinions on a game, I'm not that much of a fanboy of 7. Oh yeah I forgot to mention

Unlimited Saga- The Saga series is awesome to whomever has played the last two parts but from what I heard...this one didn't do so well. The animation looks nice but the dungeon system the had and the way the attacks were didn't really peak my intrest. If they make a follow-up lets hope they fix all those mistakes.
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AnimeGamer183 @ Feb. 07 2004,22:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Martyr @ Feb. 07 2004,10:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Apparently AnimeGamer there failed those little fact or opinion tests they make you take in grade school.

Anyhoo, Chrono Cross was definately a let down. They took just about everything that made CT fun and either got rid of it or transformed into something not fun. It's been said before, but I guess no harm would come from reiterating. I didn't like any of the characters half as much as I liked everyone from CT. The fighting system was not fun at all. The elements system was actually an interesting idea, but it would've been more fun if it didn't take so frickin long to alocate everybody's spells. However, I did enjoy it enough to complete in about a week. Compared to the 8 months it took me to beat my all time biggest let down game, FFIX[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    your a noob Chrono Cross is an excelent game dont get mad a at me just cause I have taste in RPGs and I like all types of inovative games I'm sorry if you get mad cause they decide to change things in games that make it different from the originals, again this little thing I like to call inovation, sure they could just do the exact thing they did over again but thats boring so they take what it had and try to make it better instead of using the same exact thing, I like this in games. sorry if I own you so hard it comes naturally too me, yeah you can like some games or RPGs and put down the other ones... but me I pretty much like it all so I can get along with everyone but I have good taste so... think what you want[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Cut the flaming now. Anyone who attacks and belittles a board member is skating on very thin ice. Attack the post, not the poster.
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cetus @ Feb. 07 2004,22:45)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Unlimited Saga- The Saga series is awesome to whomever has played the last two parts but from what I heard...this one didn't do so well. The animation looks nice but the dungeon system the had and the way the attacks were didn't really peak my intrest. If they make a follow-up lets hope they fix all those mistakes.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Haha, every SaGa game let us down!
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Haha, every SaGa game let us down! [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Us? Who is "Us"? I hope I wasnt lumped into that.
  • Daniel36Daniel36 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Yes, because some characters started swearing, I disliked the game, yes. First off all, it is absolutely unnecesary, second of all, it doesn't really (In my opinion) fit the game, it's not exactly a Grand Theft Auto clone we're talking about you know! And third of all.... Uhmm.... YES! You see?
    But yeah, it kinda killed the whole feel for me... But that's just my opinion... Call it dumb, see if I care...
    edited February 2004
    Unecessary, huh? Then somebody better tell Celes that when she called the Empire ***holes.

Or how about telling Kefka that when he told the soldier in front of Figaro Castle to "move his ass."

In fact, Kefka swears a lot in VI. And had they left it in, he wouldn't have sounded so incredibly stupid.

Urgh, I really hate Ted Woolsley.

edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daniel36 @ Feb. 09 2004,08:08)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yes, because some characters started swearing, I disliked the game, yes. First off all, it is absolutely unnecesary, second of all, it doesn't really (In my opinion) fit the game, it's not exactly a Grand Theft Auto clone we're talking about you know! And third of all.... Uhmm.... YES! You see?
    But yeah, it kinda killed the whole feel for me... But that's just my opinion... Call it dumb, see if I care...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You know bad words are only bad if you think they are. And if she were to say "buttholes" or "darn" etc. The feeling is the same. Darn is just as bad a damn. Using a different inplace of a "curse" word makes no difference because you mean the same thing.

And how can you compare a few curse words to what they say in GTA? That is quite a stretch. Plus if you thought your daughter just died you'd probably be cursing too and don't tell me that you wouldn't because you don't know and I hope to God you never will.

• DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Apparently, FFVII does not present a world in which many of the people are either passively trying to get along in the harsh world that Shinra Corp. set up or bitterly angry at Shinra for all the crap it has pulled. Apparently, characters like Barret and Cid shouldn't have been in the game because, after all, nobody who lives in the world of FFVII could possibly be an angry person.

If someone "<span class="spoiler">completely destroyed my hometown and my loved ones after promising my community prosperity and then effectively forced me to live in the nastiest slums under a metallic cityscape,</span>" or if someone "<span class="spoiler">had completely ruined the biggest dream of my life that I had been working towards achieving for years,</span>" I can imagine myself being very bitter.

Let's face it - all the characters in FFVII have their share of anger against the world, and they each dealt with it in their own ways. Barret was taken to swearing and working to subvert the Shinra corporation through his terrorist group, AVALANCHE. Cid basically sat in his house and swore at Shera all day, while occasionally working on his derelict rocket. Vincent took his anger for Hojo and himself and became a stone-cold recluse, cloistering himself in a coffin. Yuffie becomes a materia thief who, while always working to restore her homeland to its former glory, is completely disgusted by the way the powers that could have been were not called upon in their defense. Red XIII had a very base anger towards humanity, but most of his hatred was reserved for his father, and in trying to deal with that, he made himself up to be more mature than he really was. The controller of Cait Sith was the only "good" person in "<span class="spoiler">Shinra's top executive circle,</span>" and he channeled his frustration to help Cloud and the people of Midgar.

This, of course, leaves the big three - Cloud, Tifa, and Aeris. But they've been discussed in enough detail in countless other threads, and I'd rather leave them there for now.
  • DominoDomino Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Taking out the swear words in video games literally ruins its effect. Like Slayer of God said, Kefka sounded stupid when his dialogue was edited. There can be times where excess swearing hurts the atmosphere, but in games like FFVII, where they were used only when the characters were really angry or pushed to, it helps to make the game more serious. I mean, to have a big-time general say darn, just makes him sound silly.
    edited February 2004
    Apparently AnimeGamer there failed those little fact or opinion tests they make you take in grade school.

Anyhoo, Chrono Cross was definately a let down. They took just about everything that made CT fun and either got rid of it or transformed into something not fun. It's been said before, but I guess no harm would come from reiterating. I didn't like any of the characters half as much as I liked everyone from CT. The fighting system was not fun at all. The elements system was actually an interesting idea, but it would've been more fun if it didn't take so frickin long to alocate everybody's spells. However, I did enjoy it enough to complete in about a week. Compared to the 8 months it took me to beat my all time biggest let down game, FFIX
    yeah quit attacking me... dont get all pissy just cause I know what I'm talking about

• PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    He was talking to you, kiddo.
  • SoupDuckSoupDuck Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Eh, I enjoyed Chrono Cross.

I thought FFVIII was a letdown, for reasons that many have already expressed here.
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    Final Fantasy X is the biggest let down ever. Just could not get into it. I have been playing RPG's since Shining Force on Sega and every Final Fantasy but this game was a joke. Yeah story was alright, graphics were great, but it just does not have the feel like the classics used too. Maybe game designers lost the idea of story telling with more impact on graphics and gameplay. I don't know but Square(Enix) will have to work to put themselves back in my good graces) I have not played nor will X-2.
    edited February 2004
    Biggest RPG letdown? Easy. Final Fantasy IV.

Really, after hearing people rant about how great it is, I was expecting a good experience. Not something along the lines of my beloved FFX, but still something enjoyable.

I was severly disappointed. The plot was made up of dull cliches that I'd seen done better in countless other RPGS. The characters were all bland stereotypes, with the only light being Polom and Porom, who at least were funny. The battle system was the worst crime of all. While the game was mildly difficult, that doesn't excuse how goddamn boring and tedious it was.

All in all, whenever somebody says that FFIV is an example of Square's better days, I always wonder "What the hell are you smoking?"