If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Major RPG let-downs

1235»

Comments

• King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Vagrant Story was cool, but I COULDNT BEAT THE LAST GUY. I was doing ones and stuff, but I could do a chain for like ever. Then I had to return it sad.gif so I never got to finish what I started.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"This editorial explains it quite nicely.

http://www.rpgamer.com/editor/scar/102700mf.html

Oh, and it's good to have you back buddy.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Heh, I like that editorial since ff5 is my fav of the series.

• Daniel36Daniel36 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Thank you Aliena for sticking up for me, glad to see I am not the only one disliking it. I feel the same way for movies too btw.

And thank you Slayer of God for enlightening me with the translations of the japanese version.... THE NAMES FOR SUMMONS, WEAPONS AND ATTACKS (and everything else) ROCKED SOOOO MUCH MORE THEN THE US VERSION!!!

There, that had to be said.... I did not find time to read through the translation of the dialogue yet though... But thanks!
  • bhsbhs Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"In fact, Kefka swears a lot in VI. And had they left it in, he wouldn't have sounded so incredibly stupid.

Urgh, I really hate Ted Woolsley.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ted Woolsey was a bad translator, true, but not for the reason that you mentioned. The edited swearing was more Nintendo of America's fault than Ted Woolsey's.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Feb. 16 2004,06:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Um, could it also have been simply an aspect of their character designs? ?Yang was a classic never say die martial artist. ?Same with Cid, save he's an engineer. ?While it would've been more dramatically effective, it wouldn't have fit their character theme at all. ?They weren't martyrs, didn't act like martyrs, and wouldn't have felt right as such. ?Could it have been done 'well' as such? ?Absolutely, but they really didn't deliver those characters as dying characters so much as heroic 'never say die' types.

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I am in complete agreement. Further, it seems that, since they were unwilling to just use the "Instant Drama! Just add Death!" formula, that the FFIV team deserves a lot more credit. It would have been a lot easier to just leave them "dead" and be done with it. Death, though, wasn't the main theme of the game.
  • MageoftheSandsMageoftheSands Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Jowy XXII @ Feb. 16 2004,02:09)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"1. The genocide of the Village of Mist: no one bothered to resurrect those that died.

And Aliena, I curious about Star Ocean 2. Why did you feel let down by it?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    One of the Rules of Video Game RPGs: Resurrection can never be casted outside of battle.

You wouldn't go against the Rules, now would you?
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MageoftheSands @ Feb. 16 2004,12:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Jowy XXII @ Feb. 16 2004,02:09)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"1. The genocide of the Village of Mist: no one bothered to resurrect those that died.

And Aliena, I curious about Star Ocean 2. ?Why did you feel let down by it?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    One of the Rules of Video Game RPGs: ?Resurrection can never be casted outside of battle.

You wouldn't go against the Rules, now would you?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    ~blinks~ I am glad to see that you missed the point. I'll assume you're joking and move on.
  • AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Sorry Jowy! I meant to answer that...

I can't explain exactly why I didn't care for Star Ocean 2. I don't know if it's just that I couldn't get into the story or if the silly voices turned me off or what...it was just one of those games that I thought I'd enjoy a lot more and I just didn't. Perhaps if I tried it again...

There are very few games I don't follow through.
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aliena @ Feb. 16 2004,16:52)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Sorry Jowy! ?I meant to answer that...

I can't explain exactly why I didn't care for Star Ocean 2. ?I don't know if it's just that I couldn't get into the story or if the silly voices turned me off or what...it was just one of those games that I thought I'd enjoy a lot more and I just didn't. ?Perhaps if I tried it again...

There are very few games I don't follow through.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey, no worries. It was Mage that asked you for clarification. I was simply commenting on his lack of understanding toward the point I was making in an earlier post.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aliena @ Feb. 16 2004,16:52)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Sorry Jowy! ?I meant to answer that...

I can't explain exactly why I didn't care for Star Ocean 2. ?I don't know if it's just that I couldn't get into the story or if the silly voices turned me off or what...it was just one of those games that I thought I'd enjoy a lot more and I just didn't. ?Perhaps if I tried it again...

There are very few games I don't follow through.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Me also. I truthfully started that game about 5 times and I kept quitting within the first 2 hours. I just couldn't get into it for some reason. Such a cool looking game, I don't know why I couldn't get through it. I guess something turned me off, maybe the 80 endings thing...
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I guess something turned me off, maybe the 80 endings thing...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, to be fair, it's really only one ending, and 80 different postscripts to that ending - specifically, character pairings. ?It's a fanfic writer's dream come true, really.

*looks at Chisato with hearts in his eyes*

But I digress. ?Star Ocean's definitely a cult thing. ?I dig it 'cause it's a cutesy, anime-ish RPG with a decent, if cliche-ridden plot, a great battle system and a lot of little things to do on the side, but a different pair of eyes will likely indict the game for the same reasons.

On edit: ?And it has Ashton. ?Unlucky swordsman + bickering dragons + obscure barrel fetish = GOLD

edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Karlinn @ Feb. 17 2004,00:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I guess something turned me off, maybe the 80 endings thing...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, to be fair, it's really only one ending, and 80 different postscripts to that ending - specifically, character pairings. ?It's a fanfic writer's dream come true, really.

But I digress. ?Star Ocean's definitely a cult thing. ?I dig it 'cause it's a cutesy, anime-ish RPG with a decent, if cliche-ridden plot, a great battle system and a lot of little things to do on the side, but a different pair of eyes will likely indict the game for the same reasons.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If anything, I indict it for being, for whatever reason, so exceedingly rare in this part of Oregon, as well as being generic enough to not warrant an online "hunt" through Ebay.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (King Jowy XXII @ Feb. 16 2004,20:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Karlinn @ Feb. 17 2004,00:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I guess something turned me off, maybe the 80 endings thing...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

But I digress. ?Star Ocean's definitely a cult thing. ?I dig it 'cause it's a cutesy, anime-ish RPG with a decent, if cliche-ridden plot, a great battle system and a lot of little things to do on the side, but a different pair of eyes will likely indict the game for the same reasons.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If anything, I indict it for being, for whatever reason, so exceedingly rare in this part of Oregon, as well as being generic enough to not warrant an online "hunt" through Ebay.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    last time i searched e-bay for star ocean 2 some one was trying to flog it for a massive ?100 which is around $150 big ones when i see it being sold for that much that tells me its either one hell of a game or just plain rare as truffles
  • AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    It's hardly rare in Texas at least. I've seen it each time I've gone to Electronics Boutique or Gamestop in the used section for like $15. In fact, where I live now, there's hardly anything worthwhile in the used section. But sure enough, last night when I went, Star Ocean 2 was there.
  • MageoftheSandsMageoftheSands Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aliena @ Feb. 17 2004,15:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's hardly rare in Texas at least. ?I've seen it each time I've gone to Electronics Boutique or Gamestop in the used section for like $15. ?In fact, where I live now, there's hardly anything worthwhile in the used section. ?But sure enough, last night when I went, Star Ocean 2 was there.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yep. $20 at EB yesturday in Iowa. I just love Star Ocean. Except for Precis. I mute the the TV when she's in the party.

Who thinks "The Adventures of Ashton Anchors" would make for a good web comic?