If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Points of View - Government Lackey

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited January 2004 in Latest Updates
Here's this week's selection of reviews from our usual crew, plus one new face. ?Yes, the backlog is clearing up, but per requests from some readers ? I?m trying to intentionally keep some reviews in reserve so we can stay consistent with the updates. ?Here?s to Zack getting back online in the near future.

Oh, and be sure to pay attention to next week?s update. ?I?m sure you?ll appreciate it ;)

Comments

• Matt1plus1Matt1plus1 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Good FFX-2 review, Solon. You pretty much hit the nail on the head the whole way through, and personally, I found it leaps and bounds better than the "Official" RPGamer review. Personal opinion though, of course. smile.gif
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Matt1plus1 @ Jan. 15 2004,08:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Good FFX-2 review, Solon. You pretty much hit the nail on the head the whole way through, and personally, I found it leaps and bounds better than the "Official" RPGamer review. Personal opinion though, of course. smile.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thanks, I appreciate it.

A cute update. I won't complain on yet another 10, so I'll just say that the FFVI review was well-written (it was, despite a bit fanboyish....damn, I said it anyways). Good work, anyway.

I haven't played Dual Hearts yet, but Otterland pretty much sums up all the things I've heard about it. I'll probably manage without it.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Another FFX-2 review that compares it to FFX and gives it bad marks for using FFX in this sequel.

I guess SquareEnix should start making direct sequels that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Oh wait...they have for the past decade.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CainEJW @ Jan. 15 2004,15:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Another FFX-2 review that compares it to FFX and gives it bad marks for using FFX in this sequel.

I guess SquareEnix should start making direct sequels that have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Oh wait...they have for the past decade.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, I compared them... why wouldn't I? They are directly related, they are in fact almost the same game. I gave them the exact same score, and pointed out what was different.

Exactly where did I ditch this game, Cain? Point it out, if you please... because you seem to know it better than me, who wrote the review.

In case you missed half of the text, I actually liked this game. Big surprise, huh? I clearly pointed out several times in the review that I enjoyed exploring Spira once again, seeing how things had changed etc, so I really don't understand what you're saying.

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Almost straight 8s is bad marks? And an overall of 7 is ditching it?

Heck...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"While some may think that exploring Spira all over again is a lame excuse for not making a new world setting, I thought it was interesting. I liked to see how Spira had changed, and how things moved on after the Eternal Calm came[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What review did you read, Cain? Certainly it could not have been Solon's.

Dracos

• Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Solon, good review. My only contention would be the difficulty rating. Personally, I found it to be pretty challenging, but that's just me. Good job overall.

Oh, and if I see one more person give Final Fantasy VI a 10 I'm going to scream. Apparently people like to pretend it's better than it actually is.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Jan. 15 2004,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, and if I see one more person give Final Fantasy VI a 10 I'm going to scream. Apparently people like to pretend it's better than it actually is.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I find this quote amusing, since you always seem to be the personal-opinion-patrol around here.
  • Cactuar JoeCactuar Joe Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Some good reviews this time. I especially like how Dual Hearts invites me to mount a pig. As for LotF, well, we had a debate about 10s earlier. No need to re-re-reiterate that.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Metacod @ Jan. 15 2004,15:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Jan. 15 2004,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, and if I see one more person give Final Fantasy VI a 10 I'm going to scream. Apparently people like to pretend it's better than it actually is.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I find this quote amusing, since you always seem to be the personal-opinion-patrol around here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You do indeed have a point Metacod, I should have phrased that differently. Thank you for pointing that out.
  • Noj AirkNoj Airk Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Jan. 15 2004,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, and if I see one more person give Final Fantasy VI a 10 I'm going to scream. Apparently people like to pretend it's better than it actually is.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Final Fantasy VI is quite incredible, so I agree...since the review (and especially the captions ?laugh.gif ) was/were well written, I have no prob. ?To me, FF6 didn't have one of the greatest plots, but I do consider it to be the opidome of music, characters, and well paced narrative.

Really the only reason I might not ever review FF6 is because I would probably also give it a 10, and the only appropriate review title left would be: "What More Can be Said About this Game?" ?I've had years to think about it, and I doubt that even if I take twice as long as my routine time (upwards of 2/3 hours) to write my reviews to be detailed (if some find them controversial, but they're entitled to their opinions, which is fine by me), I still don't think it would be worth anyone looking at it with hopes of finding any new perspectives. ?It has the highest average of any RPG on the site, am I correct? ?I'm just a little distraught that FF4's average of all reviews is only a 7.03 or something...that's sad.

• Noj AirkNoj Airk Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Solon, I'm glad that you actually write long enough reviews. I hate it when you read reviews written like the writters found it wasn't necessary to have more than like 300-400 words.

To all else that also write longer reviews, keep it up! True, I can see if first reviews are shorter than the later ones.
  • RiotRiotRiotRiot Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    For me, it's such a great game because there was nothing quite as epic at the time. I was just a kid interested in RPGs reading Nintendo Power, so I had no idea about other RPGs (I mean ones that came out at the same time in other countries, as the only media I had was Nintendo Power) to compare it to. I think it was just a.. ermm.. magical.. experience for a lot of people. tounge.gif

EDIT: I guess you need to have played it when it first came out. Did you?

edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RiotRiot @ Jan. 15 2004,21:24)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Jan. 15 2004,12:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, and if I see one more person give Final Fantasy VI a 10 I'm going to scream. Apparently people like to pretend it's better than it actually is.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    For me, it's such a great game because there was nothing quite as epic at the time. I was just a kid interested in RPGs reading Nintendo Power, so I had no idea about other RPGs (I mean ones that came out at the same time in other countries, as the only media I had was Nintendo Power) to compare it to. I think it was just a.. ermm.. magical.. experience for a lot of people. tounge.gif

EDIT: I guess you need to have played it when it first came out. Did you?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes I did. In fact, it was my first traditional RPG. I didn't mean to imply that it was horrible, just that it was overrated. As Metacod pointed out, I screwed up stating my opinion.

To me, the lack of character development, mediocre battle system, and botched up translation don't warrant a 10. Maybe a 7 or 8, but not a 10.
    edited January 2004
    I agree (to a certain point) with Slayer on this one. There is no denying that Final Fantasy VI is a milestone in the RPG genre on many parts, but way too many of us judge this game based only on the nostalgia from playing it back in the days.

If I were to judge like that, I would rate certain games 10 straight away because of my wonderful memories of them. However, in terms of quality, I don't think any of them comes anywhere near that score. But of course... in the end, it's all the (here it comes) personal opinion of the reviewer that counts.

• PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Perhaps RPGamer should really clarify it's stance on what a retroview is supposed to accomplish. Is it a review from the game based on the standards when the review was written, or based on when the game was produced?

Each creates it's own issues, but I'd favor the latter, as it puts older games on more equal footing as the newer games - allowing them to be reviewed as they would've been when they were brand new. If not, then reviews and retroviews really need to stay seperate permanently, as a review will innately give higher scores then a retroview.
    edited January 2004
    My gripes are as follows:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The rest of the interface is beautiful. The menu design is pretty, and with pleasant tutorials and explanations for everything, no player will have any trouble understanding the system in this game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" Interface 8 ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What is wrong? What elements are cause for the 8? Again, unexplained scores in my opinion. It may deserve an 8, I'm not debating that...but WHY?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Lastly, we come to the graphics. Simply put, this game looks exactly like FFX. However, considering that FFX still is one of the most beautiful RPG's for the PlayStation 2, I couldn't lower the score all too much[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, it's the direct sequel of FFX-2...so you count off? Seriously, you have just deducted a video game sequel for having continuity? Think about that a second.

I do think your review is nicely written, Solon. Aside from the fact you don't explain your scores. I realize the whole "10 is impossible" throws you, but if you say something is beautiful and easy to understand...why is it getting a score that's usually the same as a B on tests?

Do you see a teacher throwing grades on a math paper and never explaining why a student got a B? What problems were wrong? You explain what you like, what the game has, then deduct points for similar locals and bad music. How does that effect ?battle system? interface?

Did you even play the same game I did that had 5-6 new sidegames I've never seen in games, a completely new take on the class system, and a revamping of the system used just 2 years ago? If so, why is your originality score low? You never really say.

If there were no errors why is localization 8? What about the many pop culture references in the game? What did you deduct?

Personally, I have too many questions for your review. You're a talented writer, but I think your FFX-2 review leaves too many questions unanswered...especially in the department of why those scores, why the deductions.

I'm a fan of FFX-2, but I'm more a fan of correctly done reviews. So consider what I'm saying not as a defense of FFX-2, but as trying to help you see that you're missing a critical part of your review. You're missing the negative side.

Just like Jake Alley missed the postive side of his scores in his review, you didn't touch enough on what caused you to score lower.

edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CainEJW @ Jan. 16 2004,08:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I realize the whole "10 is impossible" throws you, but if you say something is beautiful and easy to understand...why is it getting a score that's usually the same as a B on tests?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    A five is supposed to be the RPGamer score for an average game. By contrast, a fifty percent on a test is certainly not average (it's an F). The two systems are not directly comparable.
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" [...] why is it getting a score that's usually the same as a B on tests?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

As Metacod has pointed out, the two grading scales are incongruent. If one wishes to compare the differing systems regardless, a score of 8/10 would actually be higher than an A+.

This parallels my opinion that a score beyond an 8 should only be awarded if that category (or game) was greater than the sum of its parts. What I got out of Solon's review was exactly that: certain aspects of FFX-2 were extremely polished (A+ material) but were not greater than the sum of their parts. This notion is more than supported in the text itself, making Solon's review one of the better ones I've read for this game.

Just because there is "nothing wrong" with an aspect of a game does not mean it deserves a 10.

? -Red Raven

edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"This parallels my opinion that a score beyond an 8 should only be awarded if that category (or game) was greater than the sum of its parts. What I got out of Solon's review was exactly that: certain aspects of FFX-2 were extremely polished (A+ material) but were not greater than the sum of their parts. This notion is more than supported in the text itself, making Solon's review one of the better ones I've read for this game.

Just because there is "nothing wrong" with an aspect of a game does not mean it deserves a 10.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Exactly, thank you.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Did you even play the same game I did that had 5-6 new sidegames I've never seen in games, a completely new take on the class system, and a revamping of the system used just 2 years ago? If so, why is your originality score low? You never really say.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    My originality score isn't low, it's above average. FFX-2 has some original parts, but it's nothing revolutionary. Sure, the system is nothing like the one in FFX, but it's at the same time a simpler, more fast-paced version of the job-systems seen in both FFV and FFT/TA. That, and that the game is similar to its predecessor (interface, characters, areas etc) made my originality score stop at 6. Originality alone does not decide wether the game is good or bad, and a 6 should be more to keep anyone not looking for something they've never seen before satisfied, according to the RPGamer scale.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If there were no errors why is localization 8? What about the many pop culture references in the game? What did you deduct?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I was very impressed by the localization, but it wasn't flawless. Thus, and 8 seemed more fitting than a strict 10 just because I didn't spot any spelling errors. I'm a total fanboy when it comes to Working Designs' translations, and so far I haven't seen any game having characters with such feeling as those in say... the Lunar series or Arc the Lad.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yes, it's the direct sequel of FFX-2...so you count off? Seriously, you have just deducted a video game sequel for having continuity? Think about that a second.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Continuity in plot and battle system is a totally different thing than graphics. Think of other series... sequels often look better than their predecessors. Even if square left it looking the same on purpose this time, I still think it's wrong saying that it's simply continuity, as there was always a posibillity to make it look better during the time of development. And as stated earlier, the game still looks wonderful, so I don't really see the problem here.

I don't know, Cain... no matter what you say, I can't help but to feel that you let your feelings for this game rule your arguments, even if it's just a little. I mean, I didn't score differently in this review than in any other that I've written, yet this one striked you as particularly filled with unanswered questions. Maybe it's just me, but I find that a bit strange. No offense.

The only important thing that I can think of which I left out of the review by mistake, are the slow-downs that sometimes occur after battles in the result screen.

• Josh CzoskiJosh Czoski Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I agree (to a certain point) with Slayer on this one. There is no denying that Final Fantasy VI is a milestone in the RPG genre on many parts, but way too many of us judge this game based only on the nostalgia from playing it back in the days.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm one of those guys who started with FFVII, and played at least 50 RPGs since (all types, including that whole series, by the way).

I hunted down FF"3" not long after finishing FFVII, and then again with FF Anthology. Both times, I also thought it was (is) one of the best gaming experiences ever (the flaws pointed out could be true).

I thought I'd be one to say that "nostalgia" wasn't a factor for me here. I'm pretty confident I enjoyed it as much as everyone who played it back in the day.
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    Wow, I'd love to see the bitch fest that would happen if I ever reviewed FFX-2... Besides the incredible battle system, I didn't like a whole lot else. Needless to say, I wouldn't be anywhere near as forgiving as most people have been.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ Jan. 17 2004,05:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Wow, I'd love to see the bitch fest that would happen if I ever reviewed FFX-2... ?Besides the incredible battle system, I didn't like a whole lot else. ?Needless to say, I wouldn't be anywhere near as forgiving as most people have been.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You didn't like a whole lot of it, so other people have been forgiving when giving it higher scores than you think it deserves? Where's the logic in that?

Why don't you give it a shot.... review it, and see how people react?

• Toasty415Toasty415 New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    My favorite part...was when the fans of RPGamer told one of the staff members he was wrong about comparing the review grading system to a school grading system...laf, that was the funniest part.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Toasty415 @ Jan. 17 2004,11:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"My favorite part...was when the fans of RPGamer told one of the staff members he was wrong about comparing the review grading system to a school grading system...laf, that was the funniest part.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    He's not a member of the review staff. Everything I said was based on things that can be deduced from what I've heard directly from the actual review staff (5 = average, etc.)
  • Toasty415Toasty415 New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Oh no...I know he's not a member of the review staff...it's still humorous.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I was very impressed by the localization, but it wasn't flawless. Thus, and 8 seemed more fitting than a strict 10 just because I didn't spot any spelling errors. I'm a total fanboy when it comes to Working Designs' translations, and so far I haven't seen any game having characters with such feeling as those in say... the Lunar series or Arc the Lad.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Give examples. Seriously people, the problem is your reviews aren't complete. Is it that hard to point out or are you just wanting to discredit me because I happen to have given it higher scores?

What is not perfect about it? Why isn't it perfect? Don't just say "There are no errors. Here's an 8"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"A five is supposed to be the RPGamer score for an average game. ?By contrast, a fifty percent on a test is certainly not average (it's an F). ?The two systems are not directly comparable. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

My comparison was not on the B = 80% but the fact he gave the gave an 8, an 80% (Which is a B in school, arbitrary point there) without explaining a SINGLE reason why. My comparison was on the fact no one who is a "good writer" would give a lowered mark and not explain why.

Of course, I may have gone to a different school of journalism than everyone else but last I checked...you don't do a review of something and give lowered marks and not say why.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't know, Cain... no matter what you say, I can't help but to feel that you let your feelings for this game rule your arguments, even if it's just a little. I mean, I didn't score differently in this review than in any other that I've written, yet this one striked you as particularly filled with unanswered questions. Maybe it's just me, but I find that a bit strange. No offense. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, I like FFX-2. I'm sorry, is that a crime to actually like a game? However, I am a writer first and foremost. It was my field of choice in school, and I am VERY aware of the criteria. You do not meet it.

Honestly, I haven't read a single review of yours. I don't have time. You want a list of what I've been doing the past year I have been part of RPGamer? You questioned it, so you get answers...much more than you gave me.

- Redesign the fan art page
    - Put over 900 artworks into a database
    - Reconstitute the tutorials section with newly designed interface
    - Fix over 150 Game pages from misc errors such as advertisement errors, misspellings, and table errors.
    - Work with approx 3-5 other people on doing the entire E3 section
    - Redesign the awards page
    - Code the awards page
    - Work on over 60ish images for the awards page
    - Work on over 40 webpages for awards
    - Be the most regular fan art updater in 3 years
    - Write 5 reviews, 2 of which are left unfinished because I have been busy
    - Work on 8 wallpapers, 4 of which are unfinished at the moment
    - Clean up HTML in Screenshot pages
    - Work on an interaction logo for every section, sans Point of View at the moment
    - Translate Copyright law into laymans terms so I can put it up, I'm about 2% through because I keep doing other crap to improve the site

I still have...oh...

- 90 game pages to edit in HTML
    - over 100, maybe even 200+ media pages to edit.
    - 15 results for the awards page to write
    - 2 games to play, review
    - an update to get up with 8 works which takes me 2-3 hours

So let's see...if it took me about 15 hours a day for a month to fix just the game pages...how many hours did it take me to do the rest?

So tell me, Solon...do I have time to read all of your reviews with my days being packed with almost 15 hours of RPGamer work a day? Not to mention I recently rented Unlimited SaGa and bought Suikoden 3, which I haven't even TOUCHED because I don't have the time. Oh yeah, I certainly have the time to read every single one of your reviews and give you my opinion on them only for you to insinuate crap.

My point is very simple and proven by your review:

Your review does not, in any way, cover reasons for counting off in many areas. When asked, you don't even cover it beyond, "It wasn't perfect".

What wasn't perfect about it? Did you spot an error? Not enough reference to the culture?

Oh, and isn't localization about the game being taken from it's original environment and brought over to this one? In other words translation, references, and even bi-lingual tracks. Not if you thought the characters were witty, I thought that was in storyline. Of course, that may just be my wacky FFX-2 loving logic for you. You know how that goes.

Just because you give reasons they're "high" doesn't mean you can ignore why you counted off. If you say something is "great, easy to learn" you best explain why it has an 8 in your opinion.

Unless you WANT to have incomplete reviews, thats up to you. I know I'm done with this argument. You're obviously not going to listen to my advice, so just continue thinking I'm just some FFX-2 fanboy defending the game.

However, I won't be reading the rest of your reviews as I really don't want to have to see "The translation was perfect, I give it a 7," I see enough half-done jobs around here.

edited January 2004
    Heh. Talk about taking things a bit too seriously.

If I would give serious examples about every single minor detail in every game in all my reviews, then I would have to ask RPGamer to raise the word max count to about 10 000, at least. It was just a few weeks ago when Paul said that most of the reviews here were way too long anyway.

You obviously have a serious problem with the scoring system of this site. According to your opinions, then what is it worth giving a score other than 1, 5 or 10? I've never had any problems understanding the scores of most reviews posted here. Like Red Raven said, just because there is "nothing wrong" with it, doesn't mean it deserves a 10.

Yes, Cain, the localization wasn't perfect, and that's why I didn't give it a 10. However, it was good enough, and that's why I gave it an 8.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"However, I won't be reading the rest of your reviews as I really don't want to have to see "The translation was perfect, I give it a 7," I see enough half-done jobs around here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I laughed at this one. Way to go with the serious exaggerations. You obviously have enough time to insult me, at least. I guess that's a priority?

• Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Jan. 19 2004,10:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If I would give serious examples about every single thing in all my reviews, then I would have to ask RPGamer to raise the word max count to about 10 000, at least. It was just a few weeks ago when Paul said that most of the reviews here were way too long anyway.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'd shudder to see a 10 000 word review, no matter how well written it was.
    I agree to a small extent about raising the word count, simply because my reviews tend to run around the 1500 word mark. I'm verbose, that's the way I write, and I prefer to flesh things out - especially since I am writing a staff review that, in theory, many people will be reading.
    Nobody's putting down a brick wall at the current 1200 suggestion, but the longer things go, the better chance you have of boring a reader, or having superfluous details ("They missed a period at the end of this sentence, when I was x hours through the game. I was floored! How could they miss such a trivial thing!") laugh.gif
  • Josh CzoskiJosh Czoski Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I tend to agree that explaining every detail of a 40+ hour experience, and THEN providing proper critical analysis to those details, is quite the challenge for a reviewer. To be sure, it is a valid test of a writer to some degree, though (I tend to get frustrated when certain aspects aren't addressed in full). Because of the limitation, I try to address the game as whole, with technical stuff along the way used as more supportive points rather than breaking the whole thing into pieces (overly-technical reviewing). In a really long review, I'd address everything, but for a shorter one, that's my solution.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"- Redesign the fan art page
    - Put over 900 artworks into a database
    - Reconstitute the tutorials section with newly designed interface
    - Fix over 150 Game pages from misc errors such as advertisement errors, misspellings, and table errors.
    - Work with approx 3-5 other people on doing the entire E3 section
    - Redesign the awards page
    - Code the awards page
    - Work on over 60ish images for the awards page
    - Work on over 40 webpages for awards
    - Be the most regular fan art updater in 3 years
    - Write 5 reviews, 2 of which are left unfinished because I have been busy
    - Work on 8 wallpapers, 4 of which are unfinished at the moment
    - Clean up HTML in Screenshot pages
    - Work on an interaction logo for every section, sans Point of View at the moment
    - Translate Copyright law into laymans terms so I can put it up, I'm about 2% through because I keep doing other crap to improve the site[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Your hard work is NOT unappreciated smile.gif

• deepfrydeepfry New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    As I see it, Solon's review is already 1400+ words. To have him go any further in explaining exactly why he gave each rating the number he did would go further beyond that limit.

While I agree with Cain in that it would be great to hear exactly what a reviewer liked/didn't like about each particular section, it would likely have to be done in a format such as this:

Localization: 8 While the localization was well done, and included specific references to North American culture, some of the wording seemed forced

Visuals: 8 While the look is quite consistent from the previous installment, further improvements could have been made during the development cycle, as some of the character movements appear stilted

etc., and that would not necessarily make for a review that is as readable as Solon's is.

Personally, I enjoyed Solon's review, it appeared to be quite fair. It was obvious that he liked the game but didn't love it.