If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The worst things someone can do with a sequel.

DevilMayCareDevilMayCare MemberFull Members
edited January 2004 in Role Playing Games
Personally, it was seemed to me when a game doesn't comment or even nudge at the past characters in a series, it bothers me a small bit; mostly if it all occurs in the same world. The Final Fantasy series is a exception of course, but I would've liked it if the characters in Grandia had been at least talked about or something in Grandia 2, Legend of Legaia 2 has the same problem. But that's more of a pet peeve to me.

The other thing has more to do with a series in particular, when a game is cut into a parts instead of being put out in wholes. That pretty much ruined the whole .Hack experience for me, and Xenosaga comes very, very close to falling down that same chasm (even though I do like it). There's something arrogant about playing a game for 15-20 hours and be scantily rewarded with a marginal, or in .Hack's case, almost no sense of closure in every episode (except for the last of course).

Comments

• SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Um, why is FF an exception, while others like Legaia not? Anywho, I think I agree with you on the point you've made. Other games like Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 is the ideal for me. FFX-2 isn't bad either I think. It must be the time thing from both Shadow Hearts and FFX-2.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Probably the worst thing a company can do is to make it a radically different genre on a different medium, while scrapping all the things that made it special and maintaining only the name.

Read: Going from Fallout 1/2, a pc rpg with a very distinctive flavor and smart gameplay, to Fallout:Brotherhood of steel, a console shooter, while dumbing down pretty much the entire game world.
  • NickNick Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SeraphicLaw @ Jan. 17 2004,20:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Um, why is FF an exception, while others like Legaia not?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Final Fantasy games, with the exception of X and X-2, never occur in the same world. That's the point Devil's trying to get at. If the series is going to occur in the same world from game to game, then it would make sense, or more simply put, it would be nice if the games had some sense of history. It would, in some senses, make the world of the game even richer. The Lunar series is a great example. It has a great sense of history, as the plotline of the second game relies heavily on the events of the first game.
    i don't have a blog, my name isn't chris, and i'm not from scotland.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    To me, Chrono Cross will always serve as the definition of a bad sequel. The only thing it shares with its predecessor is a great sound track. Everything else, from the dozens of wafer-thin characters to the terrible combat sytem to the painfully generic visual style, is a slap in the face to a Chrono Trigger fan.
  • edited January 2004
    A bad sequel would be one where it never takes in consideration the formula (be it gameplay, story-telling style, etc.) of the previous game(s), especially when that formula is A-OK. Primary example? Chrono Cross. I suppose that the battle system was fun enough, but it threw everything about Chrono Trigger's out the window, keeping special note to the very limited Combo techs. And character-collection? A game with a story so twisted in focus can't be like Suikoden.
  • Double_BDouble_B Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    "The worst thing someone can do with a sequel"......?
    hmmmmm....... to me is announce its release to February and then make me wait 'till (the end of times damn it!) December when it's finally released....... GRRRRR!

edit: I think the Fallout: BoS for PS2 is a disgrace to the Fallout name...... it's like some sort of bad replica, yuck mad.gif

• edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ashgad @ Jan. 17 2004,23:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"wafer-thin characters[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wafer-thin, maybe, but if you stack 'em all up on each other, that's BIG freaking wafer! tounge.gif
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DevilMayCare @ Jan. 17 2004,14:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The Final Fantasy series is a exception of course, but I would've liked it if the characters in Grandia had been at least talked about or something in Grandia 2, Legend of Legaia 2 has the same problem. But that's more of a pet peeve to me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Um, you can't make that comparison because Final Fantasy is a developed series, while Grandia/Legaia only have 2 parts to them...
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Jan. 18 2004,19:05)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (DevilMayCare @ Jan. 17 2004,14:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The Final Fantasy series is a exception of course, but I would've liked it if the characters in Grandia had been at least talked about or something in Grandia 2, Legend of Legaia 2 has the same problem. But that's more of a pet peeve to me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Um, you can't make that comparison because Final Fantasy is a developed series, while Grandia/Legaia only have 2 parts to them...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In what ways exactly are Grandia and LeGaia undeveloped series?

(And besides, there are four Grandia games)
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • AshgadAshgad Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ Jan. 18 2004,08:45)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ashgad @ Jan. 17 2004,23:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"wafer-thin characters[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wafer-thin, maybe, but if you stack 'em all up on each other, that's BIG freaking wafer! :p[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Dang! Can't argue with that. ;)
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Devil May Cry 2. Nothing like the original. sad.gif
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Jan. 18 2004,11:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"In what ways exactly are Grandia and LeGaia undeveloped series? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, they only made 2 parts of the main series, meaning they haven't experimented with all the possible elements that FF has with its 12+ installments.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(And besides, there are four Grandia games)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I meant from the main series, not the side-stories.
  • XaratothXaratoth New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Chrono Cross.
    1. Didn't live up to Trigger.
    2. Too many characters that had no purpose what so ever. (Square could have used about 12 characters and given them stories better than 44?)
    3. Time travel? Please?
    4. If you just call it cross take out the references to Trigger, lighten the character load it happens to be a very good game but a good sequel it is not.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Didn't live up to Trigger.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Because it wasn't supposed to. It was meant to be unique!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Too many characters that had no purpose what so ever. (Square could have used about 12 characters and given them stories better than 44?)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Suikoden, anyone?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Time travel? Please? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Um, I believe these was time travel, at least traveling between 2 alternate worlds.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If you just call it cross take out the references to Trigger, lighten the character load it happens to be a very good game but a good sequel it is not.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

It did not say "Chrono Trigger 2" therefore there shouldn't have been much expectations.