If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Official Super Bowl XXXVIII thread

David BoringDavid Boring MemberFull Members
edited February 2004 in Miscellaneous
Go Panthers.

I don't care for either of these teams, but CAR is the lesser of two evils. Really, did anyone want these two teams to get there besides Pats/Panthers fans? I wanted the big McNabb/Manning QB matchup. Who cares about Brady and Delhomme? I'm a fan of the sport, so I'll watch anyway, I'm just saying...

Anyway, I'm rooting for the Panthers, but anyone logical has to pick the Pats to win.

Comments

• generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    The "big" Manning/McNabb matchup..? ?Sure, Manning had a great season, culminated with a share of the MVP award, but really, what else has he done, and what has McNabb accomplished? ?McNabb is the most overpaid and overrated player in the NFL. ?Yet, one of the players you have dismissed because "no one cares about them", Tom Brady, is a Super Bowl MVP. ?Obviously, winning a Super Bowl doesn't make or break a career, it just baffles me how Brady doesn't get the respect he deserves. ?Brady is now 5-0 in playoff games, all games decided by 7 points or less. ?The guy knows how to win. ?Meanwhile, Manning hadn't won a playoff game until 2 weeks ago, and McNabb is 0-3 in conference championship games. ?Getting to the NFC title game is in itself a great accomplishment, but when your contract is paying you over $100 million, you need to be leading your offense to more than 3 points.

For the record, as a rabid Bills fan, I hate the Pats and therefore will be forced to go with the Panthers for this one. ?Go team!
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (generator @ Jan. 19 2004,04:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The "big" Manning/McNabb matchup..? ?Sure, Manning had a great season, culminated with a share of the MVP award, but really, what else has he done, and what has McNabb accomplished? ?McNabb is the most overpaid and overrated player in the NFL. ?Yet, one of the players you have dismissed because "no one cares about them", Tom Brady, is a Super Bowl MVP. ?Obviously, winning a Super Bowl doesn't make or break a career, it just baffles me how Brady doesn't get the respect he deserves. ?Brady is now 5-0 in playoff games, all games decided by 7 points or less. ?The guy knows how to win. ?Meanwhile, Manning hadn't won a playoff game until 2 weeks ago, and McNabb is 0-3 in conference championship games. ?Getting to the NFC title game is in itself a great accomplishment, but when your contract is paying you over $100 million, you need to be leading your offense to more than 3 points.

For the record, as a rabid Bills fan, I hate the Pats and therefore will be forced to go with the Panthers for this one. ?Go team![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well just look at Brad Johnson. He did not get any recognition either for last years super bowl. And it is not a racial issue. Vick and McNabb get way more hype than McNair which I believe is one of the best quarterbacks in the league.

McNabb and Vick will always be over hyped because of there lucky games. For instance when Vick ran for hundreds of yards against the vikings (worst defense at the time) last year.

It was obvious the other team gave up completely.

One more thing, Peyton is over rated. He single handedly lost the game for the Colts. I do believe Vanderjagt has something to bitch about this year if he decides to complain to the media again.
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    Well at the beginning of the second round of the playoffs I was pretty much more or less excited with all the teams that were still in it. There really wasn't a team I didn't want to see in the Bowl. Sure I'm dissapointed that the Pack messed up their chance, but I'm still looking forward to the game. I really wanted to see the Colts win it last year, but Peyton Manning really did mess up big time. After that I'm kind of glad he got sent home. I think the game is going to be great though. The Pats and the Panthers are both exceptional teams, though I'm kind of bitter with New England, so I'm gonna be backing Carolina. Oh, and I'll also be backing Super Bowl Ads, cause we all know those are the real winners! smile.gif
  • David BoringDavid Boring Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (generator @ Jan. 19 2004,02:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yet, one of the players you have dismissed because "no one cares about them", Tom Brady, is a Super Bowl MVP. Obviously, winning a Super Bowl doesn't make or break a career, it just baffles me how Brady doesn't get the respect he deserves. Brady is now 5-0 in playoff games, all games decided by 7 points or less. The guy knows how to win.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I just hate the team. Like I said, I like the game and I'll watch anyway. The Patriots are a great team, but I'm opposed to them being in the Super Bowl just because they're the Patriots. Brady is definitely good, but I was kind of looking forward to the hyped up superstar match.

McNabb is good, though. He hasn't delivered in the playoffs but he keeps getting them there, so he can't be all bad.
    edited January 2004
    Good to see we're all on the same page when it comes to rooting against the Pats, though.
    edited January 2004
    Vick, I think, is a different story. ?The way he can run adds an entire new dimension on that offense. ?I'm not sure of the exact records, but I think Atlanta was something like 1-10 without Vick, and 4-1 after his return. ?I only vaguely recall reading that, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I think McNair finally got his long overdue props this year when he won the Co-MVP award. ?It's difficult for me to like him because he plays for Tennessee, and boy do I hate the Titans, but he is a damned good quarterback.
  • ClaySly78ClaySly78 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    you are wrong they were 2-10 vickless
    3-1 W/Vick
    edited January 2004
    Oh good! Not only was I close.. but it still proves my point. Jolly good.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (David Boring @ Jan. 19 2004,01:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Go Panthers.

I don't care for either of these teams, but CAR is the lesser of two evils. Really, did anyone want these two teams to get there besides Pats/Panthers fans? I wanted the big McNabb/Manning QB matchup. Who cares about Brady and Delhomme? I'm a fan of the sport, so I'll watch anyway, I'm just saying...

Anyway, I'm rooting for the Panthers, but anyone logical has to pick the Pats to win.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Because I'm a Panthers fan, I'll pretend that you were joking with those remarks.

Anyway, I wouldn't count the Panthers out of the Super Bowl just because they're the underdogs. Need I remind you they were the underdogs throughout the playoffs? True, they've got an uphill battle against the Patriots, but I wouldn't say they're destined to lose.

Trust me, they might surprise you.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited January 2004
    Well when the Rams and Patriots were in the super bowl everyone thought the Rams were going to win. hehe.. And everyone was dead wrong including myself. I am sticking to my prediction that the panthers are going to take it. When the play offs started I said it was either going ot be Seattle or Carolina. So far I have been right with one. I hope the superbowl is a close game this year(as compared to last year). Even though Tampa is one of my favorite teams it still was kind of boring.
  • ShadowKnight28ShadowKnight28 Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    I am a die hard Patriots fan, I followed them after Bledsoe got started. I wanted them to win a Super Bowl bad and they did in 36. I am definately going for the new england patriots!! Go pats!

Pats win coin toss
    Brady hands off to Smith, grabs the first down! Brady in shot gun formation, throws a bullet to David Patten Touch Down Patriots! Adam with the extra point.

Most of you guys don't give the pats enough credit there. Their defense has come a long way. THey are also favored 7 points to win over the Panthers not to say that is guarenteed. I think about it this way, the Patriots play for their title, the patriots out there fighting the war for us. So this has to be another win for the pats. For all the people who died in the war, if the patriots win it definately would be a great honor. The defense is solid, Willie makes hard tackles on def. I think this game is a perfect match up with two of the best defenses this year.

PATRIOTS SHUT OUT THE CAROLINA PANTHERS AND WIN SUPER BOWL 38!
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Most of you guys don't give the pats enough credit there. Their defense has come a long way. THey are also favored 7 points to win over the Panthers not to say that is guarenteed. I think about it this way, the Patriots play for their title, the patriots out there fighting the war for us. So this has to be another win for the pats. For all the people who died in the war, if the patriots win it definately would be a great honor. The defense is solid, Willie makes hard tackles on def. I think this game is a perfect match up with two of the best defenses this year.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I had to read this paragraph about 3 times for it to start making sense. Even then, only the last sentence makes any sense.

And what's this about people here not giving them enough credit? I've seen nothing but statements like "Patriots are a great team...", and "we've got an uphill battle against the Patriots.." Where are they not being given enough credit?
  • An FF OriginalAn FF Original Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Its a bloody shame...

*Chiefs fan hangs his head in shame*
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (An FF Original @ Jan. 20 2004,01:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Its a bloody shame...

*Chiefs fan hangs his head in shame*[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    LOL...

*bears fan kills himself*
    edited January 2004
    IT all made sense Dryad, a patriot is someone who is a hero that helps another out. Then you think of the team name patriots. You know how the miami dolphins have dolphins as their team mascot, well I believe that is the same with the Patriots.

Either way most likely the southerners will go for the Panthers and most of the people in the north will probably go for the Pats. I don't even think they have a reason to be hated.

After winning so many games any team will become cocky if that is the whole idea behind it. I will say this if the Patriots are over confident in this game then they will lose. If they look at it like a challenge then it is anyones game, unless the panthers get cocky.
    edited January 2004
    I don't think the panthers will be cocky. It would be funny if they were though....
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ShadowKnight28 @ Jan. 20 2004,15:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"IT all made sense Dryad, a patriot is someone who is a hero that helps another out.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you're using the Bush administration's definition of "patriot" then you'd be correct. However, since they can't even properly define terrorism, using said definition is foolish.

And I still fail to see how any of this affects football. When I think about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, I don't picture a bunch of guys pillaging random cities and raping their women.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And I still fail to see how any of this affects football. When I think about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, I don't picture a bunch of guys pillaging random cities and raping their women. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Thank you.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Manning and McNabb, great matchup....oh, remind me again, how many games have they won combined against Brady? Manning has Marvin Harrison, Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne...and a whole lot of nothing against the Pats and Brady.

I actually feel bad for McNabb, his receivers would be lucky to get jobs in the CFL the way they played. Watching Carolina's Defensive Backs beat the crap out of them all over the field was like watching a giddy sugar high 5 year old stomp a bunch of ants. This has to be the first time I've ever been embarrassed for another city's team. Those Philly receivers broke faster than France's armies in World War 2.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyway, I wouldn't count the Panthers out of the Super Bowl just because they're the underdogs. Need I remind you they were the underdogs throughout the playoffs?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

As a Pats fan, Carolina scares the heck out of me. Power running game, unknown quarterback who wins by playing mistake free, physical defense with a great front four and an underrated secondary and an unpredictable coach, and they have no pressure on them....the last team to meet that description was the 2001 Patriots. What's also eerie is that the Pats were 11-5 and beat a 14-2 Rams team. Now Carolina's the 11-5 underdog and the Pats are the 14-2 unbeatable juggernaut.

If the Pats have to lose, I'm glad they'll at least lose to a team that I respect.
  • Darkwarrior18Darkwarrior18 Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    Let's just face it. The

<span style='font-size:35pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'>SEAHAWKS</span></span> are going to win it all.
  • NickNick Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I'm from Boston, so I'm obviously supporting the Patriots. But I have to comment on the way this thread was started. "McNabb/Manning" matchup? "Who cares about Brady?" I have to ask you, did you watch the Colts/Patriots game this past Sunday? Manning is an awesome QB, no doubt, but he threw THREE interceptions in that one game. He's a great thrower when he's standing still, but when you make him have to move and put the pressure on him, he gets sloppy. That's his weakness and it's one that's pretty easy to exploit once you learn about it. Brady on the other hand, he's "so-so," I'll admit that, but you also have to admit that in that game (Colts/Pats), he dominated. Also, the team as a whole has just been on point this year. You don't win 13 games straight out of sheer luck alone.
    i don't have a blog, my name isn't chris, and i'm not from scotland.
  • An FF OriginalAn FF Original Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Jan. 20 2004,17:45)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ShadowKnight28 @ Jan. 20 2004,15:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"IT all made sense Dryad, a patriot is someone who is a hero that helps another out.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If you're using the Bush administration's definition of "patriot" then you'd be correct. However, since they can't even properly define terrorism, using said definition is foolish.

And I still fail to see how any of this affects football. When I think about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, I don't picture a bunch of guys pillaging random cities and raping their women.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    But they do anyway.... tounge.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Nick @ Jan. 20 2004,21:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm from Boston, so I'm obviously supporting the Patriots. But I have to comment on the way this thread was started. "McNabb/Manning" matchup? "Who cares about Brady?" I have to ask you, did you watch the Colts/Patriots game this past Sunday? Manning is an awesome QB, no doubt, but he threw THREE interceptions in that one game. He's a great thrower when he's standing still, but when you make him have to move and put the pressure on him, he gets sloppy. That's his weakness and it's one that's pretty easy to exploit once you learn about it. Brady on the other hand, he's "so-so," I'll admit that, but you also have to admit that in that game (Colts/Pats), he dominated. Also, the team as a whole has just been on point this year. You don't win 13 games straight out of sheer luck alone.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yo, I said they're a good team and Brady is a good QB.

Can I get a break around here?
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The Patriots are a great team, but I'm opposed to them being in the Super Bowl just because they're the Patriots.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Care to elaborate?
  • King Luca BlightKing Luca Blight Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Nick @ Jan. 20 2004,21:36)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm from Boston, so I'm obviously supporting the Patriots. But I have to comment on the way this thread was started. "McNabb/Manning" matchup? "Who cares about Brady?" I have to ask you, did you watch the Colts/Patriots game this past Sunday? Manning is an awesome QB, no doubt, but he threw THREE interceptions in that one game. He's a great thrower when he's standing still, but when you make him have to move and put the pressure on him, he gets sloppy. That's his weakness and it's one that's pretty easy to exploit once you learn about it. Brady on the other hand, he's "so-so," I'll admit that, but you also have to admit that in that game (Colts/Pats), he dominated. Also, the team as a whole has just been on point this year. You don't win 13 games straight out of sheer luck alone.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually Manning threw 4 interceptions ha ha ha!

Well if not for a certain kid at school being a pat fan I wouldnt care who won, but now Ill root for the Panthers. My team didn't even come close (Steelers will do better next year.)
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited January 2004
    TOUCHDOWN TITANS!! Its a MIRACLE!!! Its a TENNESSESE MIRACLE!! They just won the SUPER BO....

*wakes up from dream*

Well, son of a ......!!!
    edited January 2004
    What does this board have against the Patriots???
    edited January 2004
    I'm from Buffalo, so that's why I hate them. But, I can respect what they've accomplished, and I even like Tom Brady quite a bit.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (generator @ Jan. 21 2004,22:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm from Buffalo, so that's why I hate them. ?But, I can respect what they've accomplished, and I even like Tom Brady quite a bit.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hehe, if anything, you should thank us for giving you Drew Bledsoe. ;)
    edited January 2004
    ahh we just have to watch and see. Tom Brady is a growing QB. He is better than last year, and even last time he was in the Super Bowl. He is able to work with his offense pretty well. He doesn't call the plays on long passes, or runs. The coach does. It is a defensive strategy just to get a first down and use all the time they can off the clock. I don't think Brady is better than the most famous quarter backs. Yeah Manning was fired up the last two games and kicked butt. Though for some weird reason quarterbacks like Drew Bledsoe start going down hill and falling apart. I watched Bledsoe go from throwing hailmarys (Forgot the spelling) to getting sacked by every team. I don't hate Buffalo at all, I am shocked they took Drew though! He can really throw them, however his "statue of liberty stand" is what is killing him.

No one can ever be certain on what will happy in the Super Bowl. Any team can shock everyone and dominate. The strategy Patriots use, short passes, running games for first downs to the end zone seems to work on the clock and their score. It is because their high maintenace defense that either intersepts, picks up a fumble to complete the strategy.

To be honest I think any team even the patriots that use the clock to win is cheap. I think a fun game to watch is a team tossing long throws, watching a running back run 60 yards while no one can catch him, and same for the punt returner. Rams was never my team, 3 years ago I think now, their team was the best offense I ever saw!