The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Mystery Nintendo Platform Revealed

CastomelCastomel MemberFull Members
edited January 2004 in Latest Updates
It's not quite the Dolphin of old, but Nintendo has certainly thrown together something worth talking about here.
Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!

Comments

• Twilight CloudTwilight Cloud Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Two screens? That's intersedting, I can't wait to see it! I think there's only one way to discribe what I think... Castomel, I think your signature says it all..."Mmmm... Unexplained bacon..." wink.gif
  • WildTurkeyWildTurkey New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Where did you get the idea this machine was compatible with either GBA or GCN? I haven't heard this anywhere else, I think you're mistaken. And with only two ARM processors, and no mention of disc media, I don't think there's anyway it's compatible with GCN.
  • drothgerydrothgery Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Looks like the new Virtual Boy, I'd say.

I expect that after this thing goes down in flames, Nintendo will launch the Game Boy Really Advanced and hang on to 98% of the portable market.
  • AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Nintendo must have a ton of great game ideas that use two screens for this to even got off the chopping block.

I'm just worried about how developers will respond to a third Nintendo system. It kind of gives me the feeling Nintendo isn't thinking about third parties with this thing. But, once we see what game ideas they have, other devs might want in on the action. I think Nintendo will have some VERY good ideas for things to do with 2 screens.

I also would bet this isn't it. They want us to say "WTH" right now, and come up with ideas on what we would like so they can blow us away with their ideas. So I'll start.

Speaking from an RPG standpoint, automatically I think of Mario and Luigi for the obvious reasons, and the new level two screens could take it to. I also think of things like, FMV story telling CGs on one screen, and a regular view of an RPG in the EXACT same time and setting as the FMV on the other. People are always looking for another perspective on the same situation. And there are so many medias now that this thing could really be neat. They use this type of story telling in Phantasy Star IV. In the psudo cutscenes they would overlap anime pictures of the current situation on top of the actual character movement screen.

The second screen could also be used for maps and inventories ect. I think this thing has a ton of potential. What can you guys come up with?

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (WildTurkey @ Jan. 22 2004,14:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And with only two ARM processors, and no mention of disc media, I don't think there's anyway it's compatible with GCN.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The GBA's plenty compatible with the GCN, and it's got lesser technical specifications and no disc-based media.
  • Assistant to SumireAssistant to Sumire Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    It sounds good, but I wonder why they would come with this now. I will asume that this console is not compatible with the GBA, so that means they will be rereleasing alot of games ne? I'm sure they will be porting all the Mario games, Zelda games and of course Pokemon. I know a lot of people spent a small fortune on getting all their classics for the GBA.
    Don't get me wrong, I understand that the gaming companies need to make money, but what about the gamecube? I haven't played anything on there that was groundbreaking, or really that much more fun than anything I had on the PS2. To me, it feels as though Nintendo is using a good idea, but will consumers be spending their money on this so eagerly? 1 GB memory is nothing compared to modern DVDs, so is it a cartridge again? Or is it those mini discs that they used for the gamecube?
    I'm going to remain a bit skeptical before I actually see this in action. Two screens may seem appealing, but does its functionality really improve gaming that much? I can't help but wonder.
    I also wonder how much they'll be charging for this. In my opinion, Nintendo has always had outrageous prices for handheld consoles and games.
    Sorry if I sound a bit negative, but before I get excited, I want to know more.

edited January 2004
    One gigabit on those. That = roughly 128 megabytes.
  • edited January 2004
    nintendoDS.jpg
    nintendods1.jpg

I'm all for giving Nintendo the benefit of the doubt, but they've had a few fruitless ventures in the past. ?Just gonna have to wait and see a prototype at E3 so we can see if they mess up the design... ?Concept still sounds dumb to me, personally.

edited January 2004
    People seem to have this idea that the screens will have a space between them. Why cant they have the screens next to eachother so they can produce one larger image if the developer wishes that?
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And with only two ARM processors, and no mention of disc media, I don't think there's anyway it's compatible with GCN.

The GBA's plenty compatible with the GCN, and it's got lesser technical specifications and no disc-based media. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Sorry, I should clarify, in this story I was reading 'compatible' to mean 'plays its games' due to an internet rumor of exactly that before the DS was announced, which was obviously very far fetched.

However, even if by compatible you mean 'can link up to', in the official Nintendo press release, I never saw mention of it being 'compatible' in any sense of the word with either GCN or GBA. I just wondered where RPGamer got that idea.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Have they given any news on what this thing can ACTUALLY do?
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Have they given any news on what this thing can ACTUALLY do?
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

The only example they gave for a gameplay idea was that while playing a soccer game you could see the whole field on one screen, and a close up of your player on the other. ... Seriously. sad.gif

I seriously hope they have something better than that in the pipeline. If not, someone needs to tell Iwata-san to lay off the sake.
  • BloodcatBloodcat Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    This thing isnt innovative, and it is competing AGAINST the Gameboy Advance and the next gen Gameboy Advance whenever it comes out.

It probably won't be compatible with existing GB/GBC/GBA titles, making it INSTANTLY undesirable.

If it was to be the next generation Gameboy system, compatible with existing software, yet now having 2 screens I would be excited.

As it is, its just something else to Nintendo to fail miserably on. I guess Nintendo doesn't like Nokia having the biggest portable failure on the block..
  • edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaediyen @ Jan. 22 2004,16:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"People seem to have this idea that the screens will have a space between them. Why cant they have the screens next to eachother so they can produce one larger image if the developer wishes that?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Because then it would be a single screen, duh?

edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ Jan. 22 2004,17:30)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Because then it would be a single screen, duh?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Even if the two screens were meant to be flush with each other, it would be a silly decision to replace them with a single screen. Chances are Nintendo is going to use the GBA screens for this, which they already have a supply of and a low price point on.
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    To the compatibility issue: I apologize if my wording caused confusion, but I figured that most readers would draw the logical conclusion: namely, that compatibility indicates connectivity. ?Perhaps a more accurate word choice would have been better, though.

Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    somehow thoughts of virtual boy come to mind...hmmm.....i dont know.....
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    128 mb?! This thing is going to kick ass. It is all about the games that are made for it.

This is nothing like a virtual boy so every one can suck on a lemon.

I can just imagine all the great long term awesome multiplayer rpgs that can come out on this console. There is no way I am going to condem this because I see some of the games for it. Hardware and software are different. Software is what makes people like the hardware. You guys are basing opinions on the hardware before even seeing any of the software.

I can't WAIT!
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    As I see it, there are two or three main issues against this device:

1) Lack of Games
    This portable game machine will be entering a market in which its direct competition is the GBA (library in the thousands) and the Sony PSP (whose third-party lineup is rather stellar). I have no doubt it will have a handful of first-party titles at launch, some of which might actually be quality, but what exactly does Nintendo plan on doing to woo third-party developers? The machine architecture is going to be foreign as will be the game format (Gameforms is reporting they will be on "memory modules"). Beyond this basic problem, Nintendo will have to further convince these developers to not simply make a GBA/PSP game - a hard sell for sure, especially when you consider the GBA's already mammoth user-base.

2) Logistics
    Barring some random moment of artistic genius (of which there is a lack of precedent), I cannot possibly fathom a way this machine will be elegant or even wieldy. Read the story again: two 3-inch screens, aligned vertically. This means the screens will be completely useless for side-scrollers unless the designers somehow find a purpose for the extra head room (perhaps a top-scroller ala 1942 or similar). This then begs the question of where the buttons are going to be located. In the middle of the device, so the player can stare at the line between screens? At the bottom, forcing the player to hold up an extra four inches of wasteful space? I can only assume the screens can be split apart/folded over, but will that serve any purpose to a second player who has no access to the buttons on his/her side? Will accommodations be made for developers who wish to program games horizontally to take advantage of the extra width of the machine on its side?

3) Asinine Gimmick
    Two screens on a portable system? Is that completely necessary? Does extra room at the top of the screen really justify the invention of a new $150+ handheld system without backwards compatibility into an already saturated market? What niche is Nintendo attempting satisfy here?

This is, of course, all idle speculation at this point. Be that as it may, I cannot help but feel this dubious NDS machine is fated to follow the N-Gage and Virtual Boy into the nebulous realm of Complete Financial Disaster.

20:1 it has a shelf-life of 6 months or less.

-Red Raven
  • Twilight CloudTwilight Cloud Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Whoops sorry about that last post!
    If this does have 128 megabites...wouldn't it be a step BACKWARD from the GBA with 256 megabites?
    edited January 2004
    You have your units of measurement confused. ?The system will have support for 1 gigabit modules compared to the GBA's 256 megabit cartridge limit. ?1 gigabit is equivalent to 128 megabytes, and the GBA's 256 megabits is equivalent to 32 megabytes.
    edited January 2004
    Nah, megabits and megabytes are different. This new system uses semiconductor memory in the games that are up to a gigabit that = around 128 megabytes.

The GBA on the other hand, well I don't really know how much gigabits the largest cart they produce is, but I know the original Golden Sun was only like 16 megabytes and the lost age was like 32 megabytes. Maybe some nice person can shed some more light on it.

"Edited" Rico beat me. I'm going back to my village in shame now.

• KenafKenaf New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Does anyone else think that this system would make you kind of..dizzy? I mean, two screens to look at at once, and to top it off, it's handheld. That means you're going to see both screens at the same time. Won't one screen kind of distract the other screen a bit? I know a lot of gamers can handle it, but I know a lot of people probably couldn't handle playing two screens at once.
  • edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aaediyen @ Jan. 22 2004,21:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The GBA on the other hand, well I don't really know how much gigabits the largest cart they produce is, but I know the original Golden Sun was only like 16 megabytes and the lost age was like 32 megabytes. Maybe some nice person can shed some more light on it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    For the record. ?The largest GBA cartridge to date is a Japanese game based on the uber-popular manga/anime The Prince of Tennis. ?The game is called Minna no Oujisama (The Prince of Everyone) and it's a puzzle game with a TON of different mini games and play modes, plus full voices. ?I mean every character (there's a ton) has a ton of spoken dialogue that's crispy clear (uses very little compression). ?The cart is 256 megaBITS (32 megaBYTES - Golden Sun 2 is only 16 megabytes and GS1 was 8MB) and is currently the only commercial 256Mb cart available.

• watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Raven @ Jan. 22 2004,20:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"20:1 it has a shelf-life of 6 months or less.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Ha, I say it's about 20:1 that it doesn't even stay hyped for six months past E3, unless they have one heck of a showing. laugh.gif
  • Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    This is about gaming more than about business. Businesses will carry on and pump out empty sequels and rehashes as long as the mass-market can be fooled into buying them for their ps2s.

Nintendo is developing this solely for the gamer minority that realizes that games must advance as an art form, and new ways of enjoying that art must be explored. They expect to sell around 10 on initial impressions, which goes to show that they know you people very well. You can ignore this system if you don't like it, because it's not for you the blind-conformist mass-market, it's for me, the critical-thinking gamer.
  • LukeTSManagerLukeTSManager Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    Imagine if this handheld device was to have online support...

Maybe even wireless online support.

I could see some MMORPGs if that was to happen.
  • Hazel-Eyed LionHazel-Eyed Lion Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    You people are way too skeptical. If this were the Playstation DS, you'd all be humping your computer monitors and swearing fealty to Sony.
    The Nintendo DS is a prime example of why I love Nintendo. They're never afraid to try something new. What're the PS3 and Xbox 2 systems going to bring to the industry? Better graphics and even more online support.
    Innovative.
    confused.gif
  • Time/Space MageTime/Space Mage Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Sounds interesting. I can't wait to see this system!
    I had an idea of an RPG where the characters are watching a movie. The movie shows in one screen, and the characters on the couch or whatever are on the other screen. That way you can still see them telling bad jokes, getting up to get some more food, chasing after the lawn gnomes carting off the food... etc. tounge.gif
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Nintendo is developing this solely for the gamer minority that realizes that games must advance as an art form, and new ways of enjoying that art must be explored. ?They expect to sell around 10 on initial impressions, which goes to show that they know you people very well. ?You can ignore this system if you don't like it, because it's not for you the blind-conformist mass-market, it's for me, the critical-thinking gamer.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Nintendo is developing this machine solely for the purpose of making money. Any claims to contrary ignore the fact that Nintendo is a business, and one desperately trying to find an edge over the Sony PSP at that. Personally, I believe the GBA would have given the higher-priced PSP enough competition as it is, but I suppose they wish to give their hardware R&D a chance to redeem themselves.

High Art and "critical-thinking" has zero to do with it.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Imagine if this handheld device was to have online support...

Maybe even wireless online support.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Again, we are discussing Nintendo, a company whom has publicly stated that online connectivity was not the future of gaming. Regardless of whether one believe that or not, the fact is that online gaming is here and is making money. Lots of money. So instead of being able to play Super Smash Brothers: Melee or Mario Kart: Double Dash with friends across the country, we instead get an extra screen on yet another portable device.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You people are way too skeptical. If this were the Playstation DS, you'd all be humping your computer monitors and swearing fealty to Sony.
    The Nintendo DS is a prime example of why I love Nintendo. They're never afraid to try something new. What're the PS3 and Xbox 2 systems going to bring to the industry? Better graphics and even more online support.
    Innovative.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I cannot presume to speak for anyone else here, but I do not swear fealty to hardware companies. I swear fealty to software companies.

The simple fact about it is that the hardware is supposed to give the software developers enough freedom to be able to be creative with whatever game they may be working on. I have no doubt in my mind that there will be a number of ingenious and/or wacky games made for the NDS, especially first-party titles (I can only imagine how a sequel to WarioWare would take advantage of the second screen).

However, the issue of whether or not the machine will succeed is a completely different story. Idle speculation, sure, but I view the three points I brought up previously as absolutely vital questions that Nintendo has to answer not just for my sake, but for a large percentage of potential consumers. I have not the money to waste on hardware experiments nor on hardware that will evaporate within six months of release. The first-party line-up has to be solid and the third-party support substantial. High Art or no, I just do not see that happening.

I suppose time will tell.

? -Red Raven