The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Mystery Nintendo Platform Revealed

13»

Comments

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Virtual boy did 3d. Hardcore 3d. It also was a collosal failure.

We're waiting for the games list and the actual list of capabilities. Not spectulating. They have their own press agents. They'll tell us what it can do and likely shout it at the top of their lungs like they are supposed to.

Dracos
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Tycho @ Penny Arcade)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The only trouble is that my mind is telling me that the Nintendo DS is one or two steps removed from the eReader or Virtual Boy, a sort of high novelty bauble absolutely unmoored from sense and convention. It's like they made a huge cowboy hat with three holes in it in case a triceratops might want to wear it. The whole thing is ridiculous on the face of it.

[...]

I can just unhinge my head and let wonderful ideas come out, too - new marvels of gameplay without definition and conveniences that only a world with two screens could allow. Hell, I can come up with reasons why it's good to have a cold or why it's fun to be down to your last quarter in a good arcade.

But as for the DS, I'm not going to do Nintendo's job for them - they can, and should, explain to me why it's a good thing that they're putting out the third of three simultaneous platforms. They need to get crystal clear about GBA compatibility. They need to start talking price and third parties and battery life and design. I've got my own fantasies about what two screens might mean for my portable genre of choice, turn-based tactical strategy - but I'd rather invest that excitement in a company that doesn't take my enthusiasm for granted every time they fling some new bullcrap into the marketplace.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This pretty much sums up my feelings about the NDS. Tycho mentions later how he will end up buying the NDS anyway, but I do not share his financial excesses.

? -Red Raven
    edited January 2004
    Red:

Tycho has the side fact that it is a business expense for him. When he buys it, regardless of it being good or bad, his experiences with it will be caricatured(sp) upon his site in the comic.

Dracos
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hazel-Eyed Lion @ Jan. 26 2004,10:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Has anyone even acknowledged the rumors that the DS will produce 3D images!? Hence the two screens stacked vertically on top of each other!?
    The bottom and top screen work together to create a 3D image!!
    That's not innovative!? That's not new!? That's exciting even if you've got a PS2 too far up your @$;$ to admit it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Uh, who cares? They clearly said it's not competing with PSP, and not the next new handheld, so it's gonna suck. It'll probably just be something to connect to your Gamecube for certain games.

It's going to suck, and that's that. I bought a friggin GBA, GC and a GBA:SP within the last 2 years. I'm not going to dish out another 100+ for something that isn't even going to compete with PSP. Waste of time and effort, Nintendo!

• SpideySpidey Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Wow you guys sure know a lot for a system that has no information released about it. I wish I was as psychic as you guys. Wait til the damn thing has games announced, and an actual screen shot at least for crying out loud before you assume its great or it sucks. Sheesh..

I hate to get into hardware debates, but console sales don't matter. What matters is how well the games on the console sells. That's where the money comes from..

• CybsledCybsled Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    In regards to the poster who mentioned EQ and Sony. Yes, EQ makes money. But they are slowly losing subscribers. Expect WoW to severely dent their playerbase.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"For example, what if the bottom screen was touch-sensitive, like the screen of a Palm Pilot? Then, you'd always have a context-sensitive control area that changed, not only according to the game you were playing, but according to the situation. Picture, playing a game like Metal Gear Solid. On the top screen, Snake gets to a door, and the bottom screen pops up a menu. You tap an "Access code" button, and a screen pops up with a keypad. You can then try and type in the code on the keypad. In the meantime, on the top screen, Snake is vulnerable, looking around uncomfortably for guards while you're at the keypad, and at any minute someone may spot you and you'll have to move your fingers back to the D-pad to run away.

Touch-screen technology isn't particularly expensive, utilized in some $10 devices, and even low-end Palm Pilots are only $100. The potential its application would have in a videogame device could be massive, though. If you look at a GBA screen, you can tell that it would be big enough to have twelve reasonably large buttons without necessitating a stylus (The little pen things Palm Pilots use). [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

http://www.dignews.com/feature.php?story_id=1966

Thats not a bad idea there
    edited January 2004
    Suppositions again? I predict that the machine will have MAGICK SIDES that open out at a tap to be a full sized entertainment unit with seats for eight of your friends and the two screens expanding into giant wide screen tvs! It has to be what nintendo's doing with them saying nothing about it and being secretive!

Seriously though, those screens look like they'd be hell to type on even if that was the case. The smaller the typing area the more a pain in the ass it'd be. And the ability to type or similar procedures (without inventing new and bizarre mechanics) is such a tiny representation of game events that it's almost pointless.

Whether they have a good idea or not, let's wait for nintendo to tell us straight out with nifty tech figures, ne?

Dracos
  • Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"by Dracos: neither serves your ends nor convinces anyone else by going to such extremes in your positions.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm not here to convince anyone of anything. I'm merely here to argue and have a good time. These people are quite funny to play with, you know? That so many people here take the "Rabid" Sony-supporting position naturally puts me in the Nintendo position to oppose them. If they can think up good arguments to use against me, then their communication skills will improve, and will widen their vocabulary in online games to something other than childish curse-filter evasion.
  • Hazel-Eyed LionHazel-Eyed Lion Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Jan. 26 2004,23:52)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's going to suck, and that's that. I bought a friggin GBA, GC and a GBA:SP within the last 2 years. I'm not going to dish out another 100+ for something that isn't even going to compete with PSP. Waste of time and effort, Nintendo![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Er....then don't.
    Wah, wah.
    Seriously.

That's technology for you, my friend.

I'm not saying it'll be great and I'm not saying it's going to suck. I will say, however, that based on all of the rumors and things I've read about it, it sounds pretty nifty.
    Huzzah!

• WildTurkeyWildTurkey New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I'm starting to be at least a little more optimistic about this thing. I think it might actually be a successor to the GBA, despite Iwata's claims. (I mean, could it really be that much different from the existing Gameboy.)

Also, Famitsu has confirmed that it will support some sort of wireless LAN capabilities, so Nintendo might actually be trying to go high tech like the PSP.

And most of all, Miyamoto is PERSONALLY developing games for it, (not just overseeing, like he has been for a while.)

So, I'm starting to have at least a little hope for this thing.
    edited January 2004
    Miyamoto is old. He's been producing games since before many of us were even born. While it is always great news to hear he's behind a project personally, I'd really like to see more news of them having brilliant people ready when he does eventually retire. I think the days when Miyamoto alone was strong enough to move a platform for Nintendo are long gone, personally, no matter how incredibly talented he remains.

Dracos
  • WildTurkeyWildTurkey New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I agree, Miyamoto might be past his prime, but to know he has projects for this thing, at least puts it a step above such things as the Virtual Boy.