If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Namco news: Tales of LeGendia

Q. MulativeQ. Mulative BannedBanned Users
edited February 2004 in Site & Forum Support
Really, rpgamer.com, you should've known this by two or three days ago at the latest.

Although gamers have known it for months, Namco has recently made the 'official' announcement a couple of days ago: Not to be confused with the minimal standards "Tales of whatever crap we can think up in the meantime" series, Tales of LeGendia, the third installment of the highly polished "Tales of Phantasia" series, will be released on the Gamecube in Japan this year. As usual, Nintendo will be handling the publishing, so you can expect another explosion of sales for Tales when this game hits the store shelves. Namco has also hinted at a Gamecube-GBA connectivity-required cart to be released with its own story in the Phantasia universe.

Comments

• GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    As much as I want to, I refuse to believe that news. Not ONE RPG or Game site has that announcement.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Saw it already, 4 days ago, it is true.

Tales of Legendia for Gamecube will be the 3rd installment for the Tales of Phantasia series (Phantasia, Symphonia, Legendia).

And I can even add 1 thing. Namco also announced the sequel to the Tales of Destiny series, which will be on PS2, called Tales of Truthia.

Here's the link to my favorite VG website, but it's in french so you guys might not understand anything...
    http://www.jeux-france.com/news2792.html

Edit: It says "Rumor" in the title, but it has been later confirmed as true news.

• Options
    edited January 2004
    So like there's a press release I can see somewhere? Those have got to be the dumbest names I've ever heard in my life...
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Not that I'm on the news staff, but aside from the one provided link to a French site which proclaims it a rumor, apparently with a mystery confirmation floating around somewhere, I'm not seeing news of this anywhere. ?At the very least, you could drop the holier-than-thou tone. ?We're not prescient, and it's not as if you gave us anything other than your obviously-omniscient word here.

I did enjoy the press release that hyped up NAMCO GYOZA STADIUM, though.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SupraDarky @ Jan. 28 2004,12:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Tales of Legendia for Gamecube will be the 3rd installment for the Tales of Phantasia series (Phantasia, Symphonia, Legendia).

And I can even add 1 thing. Namco also announced the sequel to the Tales of Destiny series, which will be on PS2, called Tales of Truthia.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I've heard this news in a few places, so I guess it's believeable.

I'm looking forward to Truthia, especially!
    edited January 2004
    Yea I have to admit that it is kind of weird...I found only 4 sites that talks about those 2 sequels...
    I made some more research at the french website, and the news stating that it was not a rumor has been deleted yesterday.

Edit: To be more correct, it wasn't deleted, but it became a broken link.

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Yay for RPGamer!

Not a spreader of cruddy rumors!

Dracos
  • XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    So...When do you think they'll port it over here? 2006?
  • Q. MulativeQ. Mulative Banned Banned Users
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yay for RPGamer!

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Or news, for that matter

Yay for Dracos!

Not a reader of the confirmation in previous posts!
  • Options
    edited January 2004
    What confirmation? Q, show us a link to a press release by Namco and we'll take it serious. The word-of-mouth from rabid fanboys and a French site that proclaims it a rumour aren't exactly hard facts to post a news story on.
    edited January 2004
    I sounds real, I mean it would be just weird for a site to just decide to make up a story about new installments to the "Tales" series.

It's just weird that no site has any info.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Growlancer: Weird? That kind of #### happens all the god damn time. Sometimes it even propagates and sometimes continues propagating after it's a known fact that it's a rumor by a large proportion of the population.

Mulative:

"..."

Dracos
    For some, there is simply no hope.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Q. Mulative @ Jan. 29 2004,10:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yay for RPGamer!

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Or news, for that matter

Yay for Dracos!

Not a reader of the confirmation in previous posts![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I have to agree...
    RPGamer is a great site, don't get me wrong, but news-wise...
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    No one in their right mind ever comes to RPGamer for Tales news. If you want to try to change that fact, Q. Mulative, you should at least goad them with more reliable news, or you risk just making it worse.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cyllya @ Jan. 29 2004,21:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"No one in their right mind ever comes to RPGamer for Tales news. If you want to try to change that fact, Q. Mulative, you should at least goad them with more reliable news, or you risk just making it worse.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why? I agree with your last part, but saying that no one ever comes to RPGamer for Tales news is just wrong...It's an RPG series, and RPGamer being an RPG news website, should and does cover Tales related news.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SupraDarky @ Jan. 29 2004,19:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Why? I agree with your last part, but saying that no one ever comes to RPGamer for Tales news is just wrong...It's an RPG series, and RPGamer being an RPG news website, should and does cover Tales related news.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't come here for any news! IGN and RPGfan usually gets info first.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It's an RPG series, and RPGamer being an RPG news website, should and does cover Tales related news.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

After Tales of Phantasia for GameCube, not many people trust RPGamer's Tales news. (In fact.... ^_^;;;; ... some people assume by default that any Tales news on RPGamer is wrong unless it's proven elsewhere....)

Of course, leave it to Growlanser to do even worse. (IGN was RPGamer's source for the ToP-GCN rumor.) -_-;;;;;

It doesn't help that some of the non-news reasons for coming to RPGamer (e.g. I'm here for the fan art and art forum) are kinda slim for Tales. The fact that a lot of the Tales games stay in the "Upcoming" game list forever tends to create a hassle for the fanart/guides people. (I'm glad to see that SamoRine has moved over to the Series list--good thing, 'cause I wanted to submit a guide soon--but ND2 seems to have gotten lost somewhere.)
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Not to mention that this site has some news that contain errors, such as mistaken character identity, etc. Other than that, this site is pretty good with news. I like how this site is very organized with how the news are presented on the homepage.
    edited January 2004
    I didn't say that I was going to RPGamer for the news...I said that it should cover them. When I said "RPGamer is a great site, don't get me wrong, but news-wise...", it's quie easy to understand its meaning.
    I like RPGamer for the forums and for the Games section (full list of RPGs, with screenshots, info and reviews). As for news, no better site than that French site.
  • NiuNiu Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Consider the info so far. I think ToL would be directly linked with ToP.

Consider ToS just share ToP's setting and nothing else connect. So ToL just might be another Tales with settign resembels ToP and nothign else.

And I pray that ToL's cell shading isn't as horribel as ToS.
  • PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I like how information on the actual Tales of Destiny 2 just sort of faded into Namco's nether-regions. ?Anyone know how it did in Japan? ?I would imagine fairly well what with the quality of Phantasia, Destinyy, and Eternia, but I'm rather curious about this one that for some reason was unfit for America (something to do with killing God, or am I thinking of a different game? ?And do not answer Xenogears unless you are hell-bent on being smug. ?Rico, I'm looking your way).

• CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Believe it or not, RPGamer is a voluntary thing to get into. Sadly, people take this to an extreme and we're often the last site for news but one of the most popular. There's little we can do with that aside from call on people who think they can do better to apply for positions.

However, the problem is we often find those who would rather do a story or two then take 3 weeks off. So if you do think the news here is limited, why not apply next time you see a hiring for news?

I thought Fan Art was rather limited and run down, so I applied. A year later, I've managed to bring it up from a perverbial castle of ghosts to a lively place for art and more. It's not like people can't do it, they just have to take the first step and with things constantly changing around here you never know if you have the stuff RPGamer wants.

So, in the short run...don't complain. Try to change it. Apply, send in stuff to our news team to report, and help us. Don't just criticize and do nothing.
    edited February 2004
    How do I send in stuff to your news team to report?
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PhospheneHeretic @ Jan. 31 2004,21:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I like how information on the actual Tales of Destiny 2 just sort of faded into Namco's nether-regions. Anyone know how it did in Japan? I would imagine fairly well what with the quality of Phantasia, Destinyy, and Eternia, but I'm rather curious about this one that for some reason was unfit for America (something to do with killing God, or am I thinking of a different game? And do not answer Xenogears unless you are hell-bent on being smug. Rico, I'm looking your way).[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I wouldn't say it "fade" so much as it was shoved down there and promptly locked. They have nothing else to say about it.

Here (AGAIN ;_;) are the three biggest reasons they didn't localize it:

1: English reviews often criticized ToD and ToE for their graphics, and ToD2j just happens to be in the same graphical style as ToE. If people shook their heads slightly at seeing 2D on the PSX, how are they going to respond to it on the PS2?
    2: It's a direct sequel, and therefore really intended to be played only by people who have played the first half of the story. ToD1 sold 60k in America (that's bad!). ToE's name change makes it worse, because it makes people think they have to play ToE first also (ToD2e sold only 50k).
    3: Namco Hometek isn't the world's most financially powerful company (RPGs take the most amount of money to translate), plus they've only done three RPGs before. They really can't afford to do more than one RPG in too short a period of time, and it just so happens that Tales of Symphonia doesn't have those first two problems.

Or the short version: "Americans didn't like the other two games like this, so why should we throw our money away on another garunteed failure?"

Oh, and the last number I heard for ToD2j's sales were a bit over 800k. I don't think I've seen the numbers since the Mega Hits rerelease though.
    edited February 2004
    If Disgaea can do good here, then so can TOD2(j). With the right publisher it could sell fairly well.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    A quirky, stand-alone TRPG might not be the best barometer of success for a direct sequel to an action RPG which had poor U.S. performance.
  • NiuNiu Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Disgaea has its funny setting and plot to back it up despite its 2D. While ToD2..... its plot is quiet broken. And the field chat, which is the best part of the game always get cut off. Quiet impossibel to actually see ToD2 do well.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SupraDarky @ Feb. 01 2004,10:02)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"How do I send in stuff to your news team to report?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    news@rpgamer.com ! laugh.gif
  • KhisanthKhisanth Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I just went through all of Namco Japan's press releases all the way back through most of december with no information of these new games.

It is really a pity that the Tales games didn't do well over here. I find Tales of Eternia to be one of the only somewhat difficult rpgs released in the US for quite a while. Most of the other RPGs i've played recently are just way too easy. Ah well, at least I'm learning Japanese so I might eventually be able to play games that havn't been released here and know what is going on.

edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Paws @ Feb. 02 2004,10:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SupraDarky @ Feb. 01 2004,10:02)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"How do I send in stuff to your news team to report?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    news@rpgamer.com ! ?laugh.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh that wasn't too hard! laugh.gif