If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Cite some things that you find "Odd" in some RPGs.

GrowlanserGrowlanser MemberFull Members
edited March 2004 in Role Playing Games
Meaningless topic. Anyway try to think of some things you found weird in some RPGs. For Instance:

- In Lunar/Final Fantasy Tactics, even though the characters stand still their legs still move in a walking motion.

- Whenever you see a character sleeping, a huge bubble always comes out their noses.

- In Arc the Lad III, I found it odd that a NPC character was names "Shulter", which is the first half of my name.(And I'm pretty sure there aren't many people with my last name, if any)

- Xenogears made a in-depth connection to Sociology (a college course that I'm currently taking in my last year of High School)

Comments

• SoupDuckSoupDuck Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    -Mindless aggressive monsters roaming around, that attacking random passers by, carry money for some reason.
    -No one in towns lock their front doors.

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SoupDuck @ Jan. 30 2004,02:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"-No one in towns lock their front doors.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You think that's weird? I don't lock my front door. Actually, nobody I know locks their front door either... at least not on daytime.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You think that's weird? I don't lock my front door. Actually, nobody I know locks their front door either... at least not on daytime.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, but do you let people walk in and take the contents of your treasure chests? Moreover, do you even keep your valuable possessions in treasure chests? Anyway, here are some for most Console RPGs...

?Any location that contains beings that would want to fight the player characters is laid out either as a maze or with one pathway leading towards the exit/goal and occasional optional pathways, which always have some kind of reward at their endpoint.
    ?In newer RPGs, some sort of fancifully-colored particle/lensflare/volumetric effect appears whenever anyone does any kind of combat move, even simply firing a gun or slashing a sword. Some RPGs take this abstractness to ridiculous extremes ? Xenosaga, for example, has binary digits appear when KOS-MOS fires a gun and musical notes pop up whenever MOMO moves. What the...?
    ?There is almost always some aspect of "waiting one's turn" in combat. While waiting for their turn to pop up, party members often loop ridiculous animations that make them look like they're on a dance floor instead of in the middle of a battle.
    ?There will always be some form of "magic", whether it makes sense in the setting or not.
    ?Most towns are only inhabited by about fifteen people. (Kudos to FF7 for making Midgar feel like a real city in this aspect; since you couldn't visit all the "sectors", it felt like you were only seeing a fraction of the city's people.) All of these townspeople will randomly spew information about their town, their life, or the backstory when "talked to". (If a tourist walked up to me and said "Hi", I personally wouldn't respond with a two-sentence sound byte about Seattle's history.)

I could go on forever, but I think I'll stop here for today. biggrin.gif
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"?There will always be some form of "magic", whether it makes sense in the setting or not.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

As a corrolary, if an attack is not an "Attack", but rather a "Skill", it will require the same MP used to cast spells, regardless of what the attack actually does - be it swinging a sword, using the gun that shoots grenades, or jumping in the air prior to doing either. ?Furthermore, the same items will be used to restore this all-encompassing MP.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    - In some games, when you enter a cave of some sort it just happens to be a coincedence that Icicles start falling from above at the exact time you walk under it.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Caves often have valuables in them, and are always well lit, even if they are only inhabited by man-eating bats.

Even if there is an ancient culture that was capable of creating super-doomsday lasers, there is only one achaeologist in the entire world.

Despite the fact that there may be as many as 4 villages filled with simple farm folk, there is next to no farmland.

Even though man-eating monsters wander the overworld munching on anyone who passes by, no city will ever organize a patrol. This is made even odder by the fact that monsters inexplicably carry gold, which means armed patrols could solve tax problems as well as preventing death by misadventure.

Any shopkeeper will have an infinite supply of a few items, but nothing else. Ever.

Despite the fact that there are never more then a handful of blacksmiths in the entire world, there is never a shortage of swords.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    weapons shops allways seem to sell the weapons you need even if your weapon of choice is a fork or a plush stuffed doll

towns are situated right near areas where dragons and other filth monsters inhabit but the monsters never choose to invade the village however as soon as you step out of the village they attack you.

theres a lost boy in a caveand hes still alive despite the fact the caves cralling with monsters (bof4 for example)

you save a town and still they make you pay for goods and services

thatll do dont want anyone to think im against all these things!
  • XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    If you chase someone to a place they always get to the end an re-lock the doors to give you trouble or something
  • MasteroftheMindMasteroftheMind New Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    The Item shop owners regulary stalk you and end up in any location, no matter how wierd, and then act surprised that you show up there.
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Xenoskei @ Jan. 30 2004,05:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If you chase someone to a place they always get to the end an re-lock the doors to give you trouble or something[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I hate that! A simple enemy with no companions enters a dungeon and somehow makes it past the dungeon boss without getting hurt, while when you enter you mysteriously have to complete a set of puzzles which the enemy seemed to have gotten through quickly and reseted.
  • ERRORERROR Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    You get a character to join your party that you had to fight earlier in the game, but for some reason his Max HP has dropped about 20,000 points. ?tounge.gif

• TheDrunkenGamerTheDrunkenGamer Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    referring to Shining Force (2):

1. ALL characters shadows are permanently attached to their feet, no matter what position their in.

2. Item use looks strangely the same as an attack. (Refer to Gerhalt after he gets promoted)

3. If the leader of an enemy "regiment" gets whacked, whoevers left explodes.

4. Monsters are always at a tactical advantage.
  • DassrallionDassrallion Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Ever notice how when you are in the slums and you go to the local item shop, the owner will beg you to buy something because he needs money? Yet he has infinite cash to buy your items.And also how it seems like only your party can use items that revive the dead and only on a fellow party member.
    edited February 2004
    another weird one you steal from enemies to retrieve some of the most rarest items yet you cant obtain them by simply killing the enemy
  • PHOENIXZEROPHOENIXZERO New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    That really powerful enemy that you've fought for so long ends up joining you and for some reason they're now not nearly as powerful as they were and sometimes lose abilities that they had. Okay, that was already mentioned....

Or in case of a sequel where you have access to some of the same characters as a previous game... In the next game, they're extremely weak compared to what they were before and probably lost some of their original abilites... I know the reason for this, but it would be nice if more RPGs allowed to import character info from previous games....
  • XenoskeiXenoskei Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Or the fact that even though their diffrent types, monsters will gang up on you when they should really be fighting amogst themselves and others.
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited February 2004
    - You become a millionaire near the end of the game, yet your pockets are not leaking cash all over the ground. And there is no bank.

- back in the day, no hotel room or room in a house had a bathroom. Today they do, but none of the toilets work.

- noone seems to like changing clothes.

- You have 100 things in your inventory (including large swords, shields, armor, shoes, etc..), you dont have the storage space to carry them around, yet they stay with you all the time.

- The sun is always overhead. Nightfall is subject to the plot progression of the story.

- No one tans in the sun.

- Where are the hospitals?
    edited February 2004
    - When characters use items such as healing potions and revive potions, they throw it up into the air for some reason rather than drinking it.
  • Daniel36Daniel36 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    OR how about, you are allways able to revive dead party members even if they had a meteor smashed into their face, or been sliced to pieces by a big fat blade and you could have them stay dead for say, a month or two, gamewise, and still revive them.... But if the story needs to progress all they need is a little silly masamune getting pushed in their back, and there is NO WAY WHATSOEVER, to EVER revive them....

Oh yeah, and you have to usually save a world inhabited by about 23 people....

You know what I think? Publishers should pay attention to threads like these, apparently everyone is annoyed by these oddities, and there is no reason why they should continue making games with these things in it, other then being lazy...
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Daniel36 @ Feb. 04 2004,03:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"OR how about, you are allways able to revive dead party members even if they had a meteor smashed into their face, or been sliced to pieces by a big fat blade and you could have them stay dead for say, a month or two, gamewise, and still revive them.... But if the story needs to progress all they need is a little silly masamune getting pushed in their back, and there is NO WAY WHATSOEVER, to EVER revive them....

Oh yeah, and you have to usually save a world inhabited by about 23 people....

You know what I think? Publishers should pay attention to threads like these, apparently everyone is annoyed by these oddities, and there is no reason why they should continue making games with these things in it, other then being lazy...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    the thing you have to take into account is that more detail means more memory which inturn may mean cutbacks on other things like detail or even a shorter game e.g. although metal gear solid isnt an rpg its a very detailed game but incredibly short as a result of this

Oh you can ressurect aeries by use of a tissue her ghost in the church and levelling the life materia above life 2 sarcasm.gif

heres one of those aeries can be resurrected sites just incase you want some nostalgia

http://www.kuponut.com/index.h....ml&http
  • TheDrunkenGamerTheDrunkenGamer Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    How come no one ever has to use the bathroom?
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TheDrunkenGamer @ Feb. 04 2004,12:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"How come no one ever has to use the bathroom?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No one usually eats neither, except in Grandia and a couple of times in BOF. If you don't eat, how would you have energy to run around for miles for the whole game non-stop?

Also, alot of RPGs have Volcano's and Ghost Ships. That's unbelieveable(yet, I have no problem with it).
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    .....volcanos are unbelievable?
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"ALL characters shadows are permanently attached to their feet, no matter what position their in.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Whoa, what kind of freaky, footless people are YOU used to?
    EDIT: Oh, SHADOWS. Never mind.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also, alot of RPGs have Volcano's and Ghost Ships. That's unbelieveable[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Fact One: Volcanoes are real.
    Fact Two: Volcanoes and ghost ships are not mutually exclusive.
    Fact Three: Many games feature both ghosts and ships, and I don't hear any complaints. ?What's so different about ghost ships?

Anyway, here are some things I find odd:

- When used by the right person, a fist can be deadlier than a sword or a bow and arrows.
    - Fire can be absorbed into red clothing, making you healthier.
    - Nameless, silent characters in really old RPGs, who have no personality whatsoever, for some reason have a stat called "charisma"
    - Unless churches are used for saving your game, there will only be ONE church in the world, in the hero's hometown. ?Either that or there will be one big religion that everybody belongs to, which will turn out to be evil and founded by Zargog the King of Demons.
    - Status-afflicting spells cast on YOU always work. ?Those same spells, when cast on your enemy, never work. ?Ever.
    - Every town has one dog and one cat. ?No more, no less.

edited February 2004
    I meant that it is unbelieveable how every RPG world could have 1 volcano and 1 ghost ship. Coincedence?(and like I said, I have no problem with it)
  • MuusMuus Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    then you probably shouldn't use the plural forms ?wink.gif

Ahh, yes things unbeliveable
    How about: I smash Seymour everytime I meat (edit: huh?! meat ... I must be hungry wink.gif ) him and still he is one the mightiest persons in the world ...

Or how about a Robot that gets stronger while fighting (Chrono Trigger for example). Shouldn't he get weaker?! It rosts, energy will get low and I don't remember seeing a robot that has muscels that grow if he trains them ?biggrin.gif

edited February 2004
    Wait-a Wait-a WAIT a minute!!

I could not open your link to the FF7 site, but that must be either a glitch, or a joke, the reviving Aerith thing....

Right?... Is it?....

Or is this true?
    Odd cus I never heard about it before...

Hiya! BACK!!

I spent some time searching the net, and came to the conclusion that it must be false after all...

Have you done it yourself? Have you SEEN it happening?
    Or am I just too retarded to notice the sarcasm in your post?
    Do enlighten me please!!

Pretty scary thought btw, that you can find and read all these posts from YEAAAAAARS ago.... Don't you find that scary? Or am I just an idiot?
    edited February 2004
    Or how about one, maybe 2 persons do all the fighting, and this weakling in the back, who hasnt hit ONE SINGLE TIME still gets all that experience, possibly even levelling him up a couple levels....

I had this in Suikoden 1, where you could go to the Elven Path looooooooong before you actually had to go there, and the monsters there were VERY strong (giving you WAY more experience then the ultratough Zombie Dragon boss in the castle) and like, my stronger characters leveled up like 5 levels each battle the first few battles we did, and my weak characters levelled up like 15 levels in the first battle, while not hitting ONE ENEMY!!!

Odd.... Odd indeed
  • ERRORERROR Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    How about this: Why are weapons so weak. I mean if someone got slashed with a sword or shot with a few bullets of a machine gun, I would guess they should be on death's door, not losing a measly 50 or so hit points tounge.gif
  • DravenNightcrawlerDravenNightcrawler Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    the heroes are almost always minors.... except for the occasional one old fart per team... someone, somewhere is making a killing on hairspray.... look at cloud and wakka