If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Seiken Densetsu/Mana-series

ChromotriggerChromotrigger MemberFull Members
edited February 2004 in Role Playing Games
I think many will agree with me, when i say that the Seiken Densetsu-series is one of the most billiant ActionRPG-series that Squaresoft has ever created.
I personally think that Seiken Densetsu 3 is the best.
But what do you think?

Here is a list of all the games in the series:

Seiken Densetsu/Final Fantasy Adventure
Seiken Densetsu 2/Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3 (was never translated)
Seiken Densetsu:Legend og Mana/Legend of Mana
Seiken Densetsu/Sword of Mana (SD/FFA-remake)

Please write me if i am wrong, and if there are some games in the series that isn't on the list!

Comments

• Ember DrakeEmber Drake New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I agree that the third installment of the series was the best. However, I have enjoyed all of them so far. I remember playing through the very fist one on gameboy at least a dozen times when I was little. Secret of Mana was one of my favorite games on the SNES. I wish they had brought over Seiken Densetsu 3 to the United States.
  • BoffoBobBoffoBob Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Secret of Mana was the best, hands down. If my battery hadn't crapped out, then I'd still have the save file from my very first play-through from back when the game first came out. Ahhh... memories.
  • Ember DrakeEmber Drake New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Whats the average life of the save batter on SNES games? I still have Secret of Mana and some other good games at home and my sister still plays them. Does inactivity of the game cause the battery to die, or is it just a time limit?
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Chromotrigger @ Feb. 18 2004,07:40)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Seiken Densetsu 3 (was never translated)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, that one was the best.
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    Well, I agree that SD is one of the most brilliant RPG series ever, and a personal obsession of mine, though I couldn't pick a favorite. That would be like picking a favorite child. If you ask me, Sword of Mana was a decent game, but it never should have been made. I played through it 2 times and enjoyed it both times but FFA should have just stayed the way it was. It was already too great, and I don't think they improved it (see Metroid Zero Mission as a way to improve your game in a remake, in nearly every way shape and form) in enough aspects to warrant remaking it. Though the first 4 games in the series, FFA, SoM, SD3, and LoM all hold equally large portions of my heart.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    The Japanese title for Legend of Mana was Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana, not Seiken Densetsu 4, just as a point of information.

That said, I really wanted to like 3 the best, but despite having more characters with more detailed stories, it always felt more generic to me than 2. If it had a little more in the individual quest department (more unique bosses and areas), and maybe a little tighter combat system, I'd love it.
  • ChromotriggerChromotrigger Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Feb. 18 2004,11:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The Japanese title for Legend of Mana was Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana, not Seiken Densetsu 4, just as a point of information.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Actually i thought that it was named SD4. But i've looked it up and you are right. Thanks for telling me.
    I will edit my topic right away!

• weylunweylun Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Yeah, the 3rd installment is THE BEST. ?I played with my friend for 3 days in a row.... ?and after we beat all the characters' story, we felt like we came out of jail. ?lol ?We were playing in my garage so there's little sunlight. ?lol ?It was funny...

The 3rd one has the best system. ?Actually, the 2nd and 3rd are great (the 1st one I believe is Gameboy which I never finish). ?The 4th one is the biggest disappoint. ?The battle is slow, the graphic is just pretty but it lacks feelings....I don't know how to explain but the 4th one is just plain colorful...oh and it's too easy. ?

They should remake the 3rd one or make another new series like the 3rd one where we get to pick our team and each one has more individual story/secret dungeons. ?Maybe 6 characters is a bit too much ('cause I would rather have a good lengthy story than a short one) but 4 characters is definitely a good number! ?

Anyway...now I miss the 3rd installment so much!! ?Just like Romancing Saga 3.

Jimmy

• TheDrunkenGamerTheDrunkenGamer Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I've never played the first SD. A buddy of mine has the original Final Fantasy Adventure whatever on an old-school GameBoy. I'd borrow it, but it's not worth going all the way to Missusauga to play an ancient game. tounge.gif

Secret of Mana I first played when I was a wee laddy, and I loved it.

I played SD3 on ZSNES a few years ago. I haven't touched it since, but I might try to pick it up again when I have the time.

Legend was certainly different. I enjoyed it all the same though.

I guess I could've saved space to say I love them all, but what fun would that be?
  • MuusMuus Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    uhhh .... I think it's a tie between 2 and 3
    both were great but I loved the weapon system in 2 and on the other side the character choose system of 3.
    3 might have had the biggest replay value ever

I loved SD (in the USA FFadventure, in germany mystic quest ...) and played it very often for it was the first ever RPG I owned (played a few with my friend before, though)

Sword of mana is, as far as I've played by now, also a lot of fun to play.

And last and surely least, I hated LoM. Hardly any story, bad character design, battle system bad (why couldn't I attack up and down confused.gif) and the multiplayer was a lot less fun than in it's prequels.
    and to make things even worse I payed 75$ for the game (import ...)
  • NiuNiu Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Those who says LoM has no story should blame themselves. it has the most dveloped story ever in SD series.

The entire background story of Jumeis and developemnt of Peral and Alexandite alone makes Jumi arc interetsing.

Then the Matilda arc has the plays a story through multiple points of view, and carries many themes on Shinto and Buddhism religion behind it.

Compare to the little plot and character dvelopemnt that SD3 has, LoM beats it down completly. None of the SD before has as much depth in plot as LoM.
  • PHOENIXZEROPHOENIXZERO New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Umm SD3 was translated... But not officially, heh....

SD2/SoM I guess would be my favorite even though the game is incomplete, thanks to the whole SNES CD Add-on fiasco and Nintendo not letting Square use a larger cart, they had to cut out even more than what was needed to fit it on a larger cart. I've been trying to find a list of all the things that were cut out, but I haven't been able to find it... Though I did see it before, unfortunately that was like three years ago.

All I remember is that a lot of stuff had to be cut, including quite a bit of story/senarios (possibly the ending as well) and a summon.... I know there was more, but I can't remember...

It would be great if Square would rerelease a restored version of the game on the PS, hopefully reworked so as to not have the problems of other ported SNES RPGs. Though I think they'd probably have to do this anyway... I'm sure they still have the info laying around over there.

Heck, maybe now they could actually fit most of it on a GBA cart... Then again, I'm half asleep so I can't think through what I just typed...
  • PlugPlug Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I?m going to be the odd man out and say Legend of Mana was the best. By far. SD2 & 3 were rather fun, but they were horribly shallow. They both had incredibly generic and uninspiring plots, and SD2 had some pretty wretched dialogue and reasoning, to boot. This didn?t prevent me from enjoying the games, however, as I was very fond of the gameplay. SD3?s a little more, probably, due to the lack of need towards building levels. (I have always hated doing that.)

LoM, however, was completely different. Storybook presentation aside (which I thought was delightfully colorful and clever) and game mechanics put on hold: Legend of Mana is quite possibly the deepest and most subtle game on the market. Really. It doesn?t have an over-arcing plot, true, but it doesn?t need one. It?s not about saving the world; it?s about discovering it. As well as a myriad of philosophic and metaphysical ideals and beliefs, such as the concepts of self, freedom, love, hate, and the assertion of one?s own acceptance to the tragedies and pain of life. All this is done very cleverly, with some very vivid and memorable dialogue.

The thing I liked best, I think, was that there was no ?SUPREME ULTRA EVIL OF BAD? to be trumped at the conclusion of the game. There was merely the clash of ideals and retrospective of a Goddess who wished to challenge and inquire upon its creations as a means of understanding them as well as Herself. Interesting stuff.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I'd say 2. The first one was an ok game, all things considered, but it was pretty limited. There's only so much you can do with 4 colors and 4 buttons. Didn't play legend of Mana, and Seiken 3's combat system didn't exactly fill me with joy, since I eventually determined that I was just as if not more effective in a battle if I just held down attack as I was if I, y'know, tried.
  • ChromotriggerChromotrigger Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PHOENIXZERO @ Feb. 20 2004,12:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Umm SD3 was translated... But not officially, heh....[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes... i know that! Only the rom was translated and despite the fact that i never played Seiken Densetsu 3 on a real TV-screen, i still think that this is the best game in the series!