If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Points of View - Space Boy

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited March 2004 in Latest Updates
Thanks to everyone for being so patient. ?I'd never thought breaking the streak would be such a detriment to regular updates like this subliminal tribute to Initial D's soundtrack, but it has.

Anyways, if anyone is worried about their reviews being lost in limbo, don't worry...they're still there. ?It's not that we don't see them, but converting many of the reviews from text to HTML is a time consuming process.

(/end rant)

Anyways, what do you think?

Comments

• PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    From the FFTA review:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Additionally, the Law System is virtually irrelevant as far as the computer is concerned; opposing characters can accrue yellow cards easily enough, but since they are never given red cards, the whole system is pretty much a one-sided deal.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This is simply incorrect. Only opponents with law immunity ribbons (ie, bosses) are immune from red cards. Regular enemies can be red carded, however they won't ever willingly break the law. While this means you'll seldom see a red carded enemy, it does mean the law system is highly relevant to the CPU as you can limit what actions the vast majority of the enemies will make.
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    So... much... Otterland...

Incidentally, although I adamantly disagree with the WA2 and FFX-2 reviews, I have nothing against how they were written - well, nothing beyond a "quite decent" game scoring an 8 overall. I suppose it's all a matter of differing perspectives. Did enjoy the subtle jab at my own WA2 review, though.

Andrew's review was equally informative and hilarious. I especially enjoyed the the strong closing sentence. Good work.

? -Red Raven
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Red Raven @ Mar. 09 2004,10:21)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Did enjoy the subtle jab at my own WA2 review, though.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, I saw that one too... quite funny tounge.gif

Like Raven, I strongly disagree on a lot of points, but liked how Otterlands reviews were written.

Not much to say this time really.... except that I think it's a bit unfair to give the .hack series a 1 in originality for Quarantine, but I can understand your way of thinking on that one, so I'll let it pass.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • OtterlandOtterland Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2004
    Heh, thanks guys. As we've all said, it's all a matter of personal opinion. Strange, how a few RPGs tend to evoke diverse feelings from us all.

Next up are my Arc the Lad reviews (and hopefully my Gladius one). My review of the third Arc game will definitely raise a few eyebrows, so be warned.

• RokuRoku Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Hey, good job on this set of reviews Otterland. ^_^. I thought you were a little nice on some of them though. I just have to disagree with your .hack//Quarantine review a little though. I felt it deserved much higher than a one in originality and much lower than a ten in replay value. Did you forget about the ten hours of virus core hunting? Oh well, well-written review though.

I felt the FFTA review was quite fair mostly, though a little nice on the replay value as well. After doing 300 missions that are almost exactly the same there's no way you can get me to touch that game again for at least a year...

Overall, I enjoyed all these reviews, though I'm sad that none of the reviews I wrote over the past month or so have been posted =/ such as my own review of .hack//Quarantine (though it probably isn't as well written as yours, Otterland).
    edited March 2004
    Yeah, maybe an N/A for originality would've been better, since the heavy recycling of elements of all the .hack games was, of course, intentional, as they are expansions of one another.
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Otterland @ Mar. 09 2004,05:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"My review of the third Arc game will definitely raise a few eyebrows, so be warned.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Does that mean you actually liked it? Will you marry me?

Oh, good WA3 review by the way.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Slayer of God @ Mar. 09 2004,13:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Does that mean you actually liked it? Will you marry me?

Oh, good WA3 review by the way.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, no, and thanks.

By the way, Paul, I noticed while scouring the Review Archives that only Andrew's FFTA review (humorous and informative, by the way; also, you put the wrong title for that particular review) got archived. I know this archiving problem has occured a few times before, so please fix it, when you have the chance. Thanks. Sorry to hear about your PS2, by the way.

edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Amish_Chief @ Mar. 08 2004,23:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyways, if anyone is worried about their reviews being lost in limbo, don't worry...they're still there. ?It's not that we don't see them, but converting many of the reviews from text to HTML is a time consuming process.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Perhaps we should all try to avoid using text so that this kind of long break in reviews doesn't happen again. HTML isn't that much harder and the reward would be worth it.
    edited March 2004
    I've been submitting all my reviews in HTML for quite a long time.
  • ASVASV Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Honestly, the long break in updates has been more hinging on how busy I've been than the fact that 90% of the reviews we get these days are in text. HTML is nice, but I generally just try and print whichever reviews I got first.

As for the non-archiving of reviews, it's mainly because I tend to skip that and do two weeks at a time, whereas the other staffers can archive their own reviews.
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    And archive it I did laugh.gif
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • Mr.PopoMr.Popo Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Ya know I must be really weird because I think FFTA is a pretty good game. ( This could also have something to do with the fact that I only own a GBA and rarely play console rpgs) I get bored of the normal missions like everybody else, but there are some difficult or interesting parts in the game. For example in order to beat the first lawless zone I had to stop and get some of my guys new abilities. I have been fighting in every available battle and still haven't gotten bored

In a sidenote you forgot to mention the part about not being able to see the effect equiping items has on your stats.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    There's some obscure thing you can do to see that. It might be Start on one of the equip subscreens. Haven't played FFTA since I beat it a ways back, though, and I don't remember clearly.
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    That's the one, all right.
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • Mr.PopoMr.Popo Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"There's some obscure thing you can do to see that. It might be Start on one of the equip subscreens. Haven't played FFTA since I beat it a ways back, though, and I don't remember clearly[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Man I wish I would have known that before I almost beat the game. confused.gif
    edited March 2004
    Wow, how do you guys write so much for each review? Mine end up usually about half the length of yours before I submit them =/

edited March 2004
    The bulk of my reviews usually comes from the battle systems of each RPG, which typically require a good deal of explanation. I like to let players know *exactly* what they're getting into if they decide to play an RPG.