If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

To lock or not to lock?

edited April 2004 in Site & Forum Support
What threads do and do not qualify for:

Locking
Deletion
Post modification/deletion

I'm curious.

Comments

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Locking - Threads identical to previous ones. Offensive threads. Spam topics.

Deletion - I've never seen it happen

Post deletion/Moding - Offensive posts. Double posts. Spam posts

Next?
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited March 2004
    What is the language spoken in the Philipines?
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • SesshoumaruSesshoumaru Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ Mar. 15 2004,15:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Deletion - I've never seen it happen[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think i saw that once but im not sure, it was a thread with The "F" word in the title created by Lucifar Devil before he got banned
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Max_Deltree @ Mar. 16 2004,02:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What is the language spoken in the Philipines?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Filipino, which is mostly a blend of native words, some "bastardized" english and some spanish. No, I can't speak portugese. tounge.gif
    edited March 2004
    Mira! Vienes una tormienta!

Una coca-cola e un pierro caliente!

Yo quiero Taco-bell!

Yeah, my spanish sucks. tounge.gif
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MeoTwister5 @ Mar. 15 2004,18:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Locking - Threads identical to previous ones. ?Offensive threads. ?Spam topics.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Really now? ?I would have to disagree. ?They have been proliferating like weeds in the Miscellaneous section and almost all of them are not locked. ?I would have to say that most spam threads are now allowed.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Your definition of spam is different from ours. Also we like pleasing the majority of the boardies and locking those would make most of them go into a hissy fit.

Don't you dare say that I'm wrong either, I've seen it plenty of times in the past, even from you.
    edited March 2004
    I probably have made such complaints myself, though I do not remember any specific instances. ?In any case, I tend to ignore the threads I dislike. ?Complaining about them (especially when they are so popular) is useless.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Same thing I would do, just ignore what you don't want to post in. Though I also have the disadvantage of needing to check them to make sure people aren't breaking rules. ;_;
    edited March 2004
    spam topics are like teh rage
  • Options
    edited March 2004
    How does the "report a post" feature work?

My theory is that it "flags" the post so that a moderator is drawn to it, but I could be wrong.

I'm kinda curious because there were two flame wars that I flagged and they were not erased. I've got a funny feeling that the moderators aren't noticing the post reports in time.

Will a knowledgable person or persons enlighten me?
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    The report a post feature sends a PM to the moderator(s) of the forum in which the post is in with information about the post and sender.

You might also consider that your definition of flame varies from ours, instead of continually assuming that the moderation team is overworked and/or lazy, necessitating sweeping changes to things for non-issues.
  • Options
    edited March 2004
    My apologies. So that's why Kami complained that I was PM'ing him so "dang much" even though I never sent such a PM. The post reports would explain it.

BTW: Are you ever going to explain why you made me newbie of the month? I'd like to hear it straight from the horse's mouth if you don't mind.
    edited March 2004
    Probably because you were the best newbie that joined that month!
  • Options
    edited March 2004
    Is that a Good Thing or a Bad Thing?
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    You were nominated that? i always thought you chose to have that as a lil' rank thing, at least that clears that up as i was wondering how you write things there
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    ...Ow. X_X

Dracos
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Mar. 22 2004,14:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...Ow. X_X[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    laugh.gif
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Lucid DreamerLucid Dreamer Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gpfault @ Mar. 18 2004,10:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"BTW: ?Are you ever going to explain why you made me newbie of the month? ?I'd like to hear it straight from the horse's mouth if you don't mind.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It is called branding, they employ this handy feature at several message boards to warn certain members (in this case you) that they are performing poorly. In your case, your branding represents the overall extreme n00b vibe you give off.
    edited March 2004
    I thought only RPGamer used branding.
    edited March 2004
    *laughs*

There is nothing new under the sun, ne?

The techniques vary from forum to forum, but the superset of viable techniques really doesn't change that much.

Dracos
  • Options
    edited March 2004
    Anyway, back on topic...

How far off topic can a thread be and still not get locked?
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    My own personal moderation guidelines are basically...

1) If a thread is created just to anger another person or persons, it is closed as trolling. This includes satire threads aimed at other threads, after all you can simply do it in the other thread and at least then you're offering a view that others may not have. That would be discussion.

2) If the discussion is quickly turning overly hostile, I'll sometimes step in and ask everyone cool down a second and think. If they continue to attack personally then sometimes I will lock it for a few minutes or hours until everyone can chill. Luckily, this hasn't happened here.

3) If the thread starts out as a conversation on Apples and suddenly you're discussing the Iraqi war, that is a little off topic and I'll ask those discussing the war to make their own thread. I'll only close off-topic if it's been going to such a massive degree that it won't stop or becomes spam, ie Apples -> Iraq -> Blue skirts -> Peach cobbler -> Homosexuals...that just jumps around so eratically it's never going to stop. Mind you, if it is meant to BE a general discussion thing, like the random rant threads, then I'll let it go.

4) Flaming.

That's my only 4 closing reasons. Satire on other threads meant to only mock, overly hostile and personal conversations, random flipping of the convo, and flaming.

As for official forum reasons, we have none really. We're still waiting on staff section heads to come up with staff guidelines. This has been pretty much 4 years in waiting. So you're pretty much left with the rules on the front page and the personal judgement of the moderator.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Section head guides are on the server, implementation of which was stalled by some turnover, but I don't see how that would affect board policy. As far as official board policy, I offered to you privately once to draw up a document for you to use, but received no other communication from you after said offer.
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Personally, I see nothing wrong with a thread going off-topic. Discussion is discussion, and if something meaningful evolves from something else, then so be it. Off-topic, on-topic, whatever, as long as it's good discussion.
    edited March 2004
    I would tend to agree with you. ?However, in some case, some topics should not allow such deviations. ?If a thread is created to discuss a specific issue, I can see how making sure it doesn't deviate from its intended area of discussion is reasonable.
    LordBilbanes.png
  • Darkwarrior18Darkwarrior18 Banned Banned Users
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lucid Dreamer @ Mar. 22 2004,20:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gpfault @ Mar. 18 2004,10:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"BTW: ?Are you ever going to explain why you made me newbie of the month? ?I'd like to hear it straight from the horse's mouth if you don't mind.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It is called branding, they employ this handy feature at several message boards to warn certain members (in this case you) that they are performing poorly. In your case, your branding represents the overall ?extreme n00b vibe you give off.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think someone's mad that they didn't get the title. tounge.gif hehe
  • SummonerSummoner Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Discussion is Discussion ,but forum plays a different role,If someone wants to discuss something else that the topic better go to irc or just pm with the one who wants to discuss(If he/she want to discuss it with many ppl irc still works fine).

edited March 2004
    Poor logic. Transplanted topics tend to have a high death rate. Aside from that, there are many instances in which a more interesting discussion topic arises from a lame one. Yes, you can kill all 'off-topic' posting, but it's rarely a good thing to do so despite how 'sensible' it seems on face.

Dracos
  • Options
    edited March 2004
    Thank you GP for starting this thread. I think it will be quite informative to others.