If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

E3: Nintendo To Debut New Portable Console

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited May 2004 in Latest Updates
Everyone, meet the newest member of the console family, courtesy of Nintendo.

Impressive, ne?

Comments

• nectarsisnectarsis Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    can't wait to see some games...ff or dw...maybe some more snes..or even playstation ports..........oh a portable chrono trigger or bof 3 and 4...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh (drools) laugh.gif
  • MageoftheSandsMageoftheSands Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    11-nintendo-inside.jpg
  • OrbusOrbus Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Still seems too gimmicky to me. How are you supposed to use the buttons and the stylus pad at the same time? eh.gif

Meh... doesn't sound as bad as the Virtual Boy any more, but it doesn't look so great either. Particularly if Nintendo is still planning to keep the GBA around at the same time. I don't think Nintendo can support two handhelds at once effectively. (Even if one is backwards compatible to the other.)
  • FraxFrax Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Orbus @ May 11 2004,13:12)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Still seems too gimmicky to me. ?How are you supposed to use the buttons and the stylus pad at the same time? eh.gif

Meh... doesn't sound as bad as the Virtual Boy any more, but it doesn't look so great either. ?Particularly if Nintendo is still planning to keep the GBA around at the same time. ?I don't think Nintendo can support two handhelds at once effectively. (Even if one is backwards compatible to the other.)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Are you kidding me? Have you SEEN the thing?

It's got a full set of SNES-style buttons. ABXY with the shoulders. At least, I'm assuming it's got the shoulder buttons. I couldn't tell from the picture. SNES ports without the craptastic control redesigns! laugh.gif

http://images.usatoday.com/life....ide.jpg

Bluetooth for multiplayer. Two slots. One to accept GB/GBC/GBA games, and one to accept DS cards.

That's SO worth the 150$, and even I was a skeptic when Nintendo said it would have unique software to the system. I really didn't expect that it would have backwards compatibility. smile.gif I don't forsee them having a problem supporting two. People like me will upgrade. Other people will buy that instead of a GBA. Yet more people will buy one as an 'extra' GBA to use with the Cube multiplayer games, and the DS software will be secondary to them.

It's not a Lynx, and it's CERTAINLY not a Nomad. wink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Wow I like how it looks. If I read right it sounds like this newest hand held will be as strong as the n64...
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    This Nintendo DS thing is just hype, IMO. I think I'll wait for the PSP, since it's coming out less than a half a year later.
  • MorridorMorridor Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I agree it seems really really cool and i can't wait to see what it can do in terms of games, but, honestly, i'm really sick of Nintendo making so many Gameboy systems and especially right after another and making a giant profit off of them. A lot of people who bought GBA bought a GBA-SP which gave them even more profit even though it is the same system. Now they bring a new even more expensive system out and a lot of people who didn't have gameboys at all will buy the hand-held system as well as people who already had a GBA, GBA-SP, or both. If they knew they were going to build up the hand-held systems to be able to have the capabilities of a Nintendo-64, i think they shouldn't have release an GBA-SP and just waited to release this new Portable Console. I bet they will release another version of this same system only more compact a year after this one comes out.

Although, i can't wait to see what games are on it. I don't think they will be able to import a lot of PSX games because that was the reason Square didn't go with Nintendo to the Nintendo-64, because the Playstation has a lot more capabilities than the N64 and used discs which they could put a lot more data on. I'm sure they could import games like Tales of Destiny or Wild Arms, but nothing like FF games.

Danny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Morridor @ May 11 2004,15:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"A lot of people who bought GBA bought a GBA-SP which gave them even more profit even though it is the same system.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The biggest reason for Nintendo's so-called re-releases is because *gasp* technology prices go down as time goes by. It wouldn't have been all that practical to release a lighted GBA in terms of overall cost and battery life (which Nintendo is a huge stickler for, and a big reason why they've never been budged out of the market in all likelihood). Frankly, I'm a bit sick of people rolling out this lame attack on Nintendo ad nauseum; if people didn't want an upgraded version, people wouldn't buy one and Nintendo wouldn't offer one. All sorts of lighting solutions were available for the original GBA (none of which I've felt the need to purchase, nor do I own a GBA SP).

People buy what they want, Nintendo provides different options for people, and this neither makes Nintendo a bad company nor does it make the people who buy, "the same system," idiots, as you (hopefully unintentionally) imply.
  • MageoftheSandsMageoftheSands Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    "Did you see it?"

Yes. I posted it up there. Also, Nintendo is aparrently rereleasing Mario 64 on it.
  • the ff dudethe ff dude Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I really can't say why, but I just don't like Nintendo anymore. It was great before all the competition arose, back when I was too yonug to know the difference, but it never really appealed to me much. Once again, I really don't know why, it's just a thing. As mentioned by Orbus, I think that this will do damage to the GBA market, and could end up hurting Nintendo. It'll almost be in competition with itself, giving Sony a bigger piece of the pie.
  • MorridorMorridor Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ May 11 2004,17:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"People buy what they want, Nintendo provides different options for people, and this neither makes Nintendo a bad company nor does it make the people who buy, "the same system," idiots, as you (hopefully unintentionally) imply.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    it was unintentional and i don't think i implied them to be idiots. I know it provides different options for people; but, while the new technology was nice and all, i think it could have been saved for this new portable console and would have been more sucessful in making many many buyers for this new system. I'm not saying there won't be many many buyers already, but i think that some people who just bought a GBA-SP are going to be a little upset to hear that a new system is coming out already that they will have to spend money on.

Also, i wasn't making an attack on Nintendo, i was just saying they shouldn't release new portable systems right after another. It makes some people angry that they have to keep buying the new technology. I myself don't really care, but i'm saying, a bunch of people out there will feel this way. And while many people did buy the GBA-SP for an upgrade, a lot of people were just getting into the whole Advanced system so they just bought what was more recent. I know a lot of people were sick of Nintendo coming out with 3 new gameboys in a row (pocket, color, advance) so they never bought a normal GBA so when they saw games they wanted, they just bought the GBA-SP. So it wasn't really people upgrading their systems, it was more of the new generation buying the newest version and a lot of older generations just getting an advanced system so they got the newer version. Although a lot of people did upgrade, so whatever.

Danny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OrbusOrbus Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    If they drop the GBA in favor of the DS, then I think it has a shot. I still like the sound of it more than the PSP. I just can't see them supporting both, at least in the long term. There might be some overlap in their life cycles though.

The PSP sounds like it's going to be a battery devouring monster, and likely pretty expensive to boot. We'll know more when we get closer to launch time though.

I'm just not blown away by either of the new handhelds.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Nifty. Ample buttons. Backwards compatibility, a nifty design. Probably can expect decent battery life. Given that I expect the PSP to have a shorter lifespan then the saturn, seems like I'm gonna end up with one sooner or later.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ May 11 2004,16:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Nifty. ?Ample buttons. ?Backwards compatibility, a nifty design. ?Probably can expect decent battery life. ?Given that I expect the PSP to have a shorter lifespan then the saturn, seems like I'm gonna end up with one sooner or later.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    PSP have a shorter life-span than Saturn? PSP will probably feature many of the Sony PS2's great games. Metal Gear has already been announced...and with the many RPGs(keyword) and maybe Final Fantasy, nothing can go wrong for PSP.
  • FraxFrax Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ May 11 2004,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Nifty. ?Ample buttons. ?Backwards compatibility, a nifty design. ?Probably can expect decent battery life. ?Given that I expect the PSP to have a shorter lifespan then the saturn, seems like I'm gonna end up with one sooner or later.
    <span id='postcolor'>
    PSP have a shorter life-span than Saturn? PSP will probably feature many of the Sony PS2's great games. Metal Gear has already been announced...and with the many RPGs(keyword) and maybe Final Fantasy, nothing can go wrong for PSP.[/quote]
    Yeah, and anything that require, or even take advantage of, ?analog controls is automatically in the crapper for the PSP.

Will you play MGS without analog controls? I know I won't. I'd be fumbling like a moron trying to play that..

"Um...hold down X to walk, move, push square to pull out pistol and hold it, press triangle to actually fire...err....*drops PSP on hardwood floor* CRAP!"

*edit* I don't know if the PSP has analog buttons or not.

• skyfireskyfire Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    From what I've seen of the PSP, it hasn't got a chance against the DS. I used to be more interested in the PSP, but after today, the DS is the clear winner here.

The DS just has more going for it. Backwards compatability, touch screen, online gaming, wireless multiplayer snes style button layout and growing support from key high profile devs. Not too mention it's far less price point which is always nice.

I read that the PSP has a battery life of 2.5 hrs for video. I don't know if that means for gaming or for watching a movie or what but if that's how long you can use it for for playing games then that thing is toast

• Zidane109Zidane109 Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    The DS Has Touch Screens!
    Not enough buttons?Add More

I Would Like To Play An SRPG

that let me touch the grid I want
    select comands....
  • rubedorubedo Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    If the GBA price drops (which it probably will) I will pick one of them up.

But if the GBA price drops, doesn't that mean that the DS is taking away from its business?

Then again, I am going to buy one if its price drops, which will increase its business.

But if the DS is backwards compatible, then it can be used for some of the same things as the GBA, and therefore will lower its (GBA's) sales.

No matter what, Ninendo's two systems will be competing wiht eachother, whether they like it or not.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ May 11 2004,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Phatose @ May 11 2004,16:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Nifty. ?Ample buttons. ?Backwards compatibility, a nifty design. ?Probably can expect decent battery life. ?Given that I expect the PSP to have a shorter lifespan then the saturn, seems like I'm gonna end up with one sooner or later.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    PSP have a shorter life-span than Saturn? PSP will probably feature many of the Sony PS2's great games. Metal Gear has already been announced...and with the many RPGs(keyword) and maybe Final Fantasy, nothing can go wrong for PSP.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Plenty of things can go wrong with the PSP, and I'm betting that most of them will. It will show a semi-impressive opening lineup for a portable, but those will rapidly dry up. Between the high price point, the competition, the short battery life, being targeted at an age group where portability doesn't have the 'play at school' coolness, I expect very few actual hardware units to ship. Without the large user base...well, those games are gonna go to that other platform. And honestly, I expect the thing to never be able to scare up enough installed units to make it worth developers time or money.

So, yes, I expect the thing to have about the same half-life as the saturn. Possibly reaching N-64 or X-box level of success, possibly failing as miserably as the virtual boy.
  • aldarynaldaryn Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    what i think-

The DS is why I love Nintendo - innovation, going away from what the other companies are doing while they fight each other over the same ideas (online games, etc.)

I mean come on, check out this stuff - TOUCH SCREEN PAD. I mean it might be a flop but so much potential. Wireless multiplayer.

Backwards compatibility is justification enough to trade in my GBASP - another great move for Nintendo. I mean it worked for the PS2. Nintendo is learning from their mistakes. In one release I read something about 'game sharing' through the wireless hardware; i wonder if this means there will be better support of the GBA "one cartridge, two GBA multiplayer" concept? I sure hope so; i can't expect my few GBA wielding friends to buy every same game as me.

I agree maybe Nintendo is pumping out handheld stuff too fast. But the backwards capability softens the cash blow as i can trade my gbasp (and $150 is not bad). I imagine the PSP is going to be mad expensive which will kill it.

If nintendo plans on keeping the GBA in the market, GBA's and SP's will have to have HUGE price cuts, and I don't think it will be a problem to keep producing GBA games, i mean look how long we still had new games coming for PSone (FF Origins came out in like April 2003 right? And psone launched in like... 1996? 97?) However, i bet at that point even more than now, we'll see lots of GBA games being ports, so they don't have to extend their resources so much (both a good thing and a bad thing...)

As for the PSP, another reason nintendo needs to get this thing out by Christmas - though it always screwed Sega over, this time, i think Nintendo NEEDS to hit the market first.
    What it boils down to i think is how well this touch pad idea works; it certainly has potential. People keep talking about how the PSP will have all the PS2 classics. Who cares? Doesn't freaking everyone have a PS2? Haven't you already played those games? People have played all the GBA remakes, and now we're clamoring for NEW Mario platformers, and NEW Zelda games (and thank the Lord, we're getting them - The Minish Cap, Mario VS. DK). People are sick of being handed rehashes; i don't think they'll want to do it all over again with the PSP. Combined with the potentially (just my predictions here) high price, the [hopeful] fact that the DS will be here in time for Christmas, and that i can get rid of my SP to save some $, and the innovation that other companies won't bother with, my vote is on the DS. long live the N.

and maybe as a whole i'll be wrong; let's face it, the PS2 OWNS the market. but between it and my cube, i'm more happy i bought my cube (if square was still with nintendo, i would have never bought a ps2). I get the epic one player games (Zelda, Metroid), if not [m]any RPGs (but soon, i hope Tales of Symphonia and Baten Kaitos change this) but more importantly to a college student in an 8-man suite, i get ? -excellent- multiplayer games like smash bros, crystal chronicles and mario kart. along with the always-cheaper price, if i had to pick one, it'd definitely be the gc. and thus i'm going to go with nintendo again. i mean, they have let me down before (i demanded that i wanted a virtual boy instead of an n64 for christmas one year) but it seems to me that nintendo has learned to learn from their mistakes.

i'ma done rambling now.

edit: someone also mentioned using the DS for other GBA uses such as GC connectivity with Crystal chronicles. i am not totally sure, i am assuming it will work for this, but is it the same width dimension so that the link cables to the GC will lock on properly? what about the e-reader? have they thought of this? i have no idea.

• gfpaperboy22gfpaperboy22 Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MageoftheSands @ May 11 2004,11:09)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"11-nintendo-inside.jpg[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is making me feel funny... down there...
  • nectarsisnectarsis Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    hello all
    please let me knoe if i'm wrong....everyone is talking about backwards compatibility Nintendo DS)...but now I'm reading compatable with GBA ....maybe a dumb question....will it work with original gb, and color???....
  • gfpaperboy22gfpaperboy22 Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    It should. ?Right now, the rumor mill is shooting out more crap then facts so we need to wait a bit until everything settles and the facts are straight.

• DraygoneDraygone Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yet more people will buy one as an 'extra' GBA to use with the Cube multiplayer games, and the DS software will be secondary to them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>! I hadn't thought of that.
    *Puts Crystal Chronicles back on wish list*</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If they knew they were going to build up the hand-held systems to be able to have the capabilities of a Nintendo-64, i think they shouldn't have release an GBA-SP and just waited to release this new Portable Console.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>I don't know, I think some people didn't mind getting a semi-new system, since it had a cool design and FRONT LIGHTING. Besides, the GBA and SP were close together, too. If people didn't like how close together they were, they wouldn't buy the SP. I sure didn't. Though that's mostly because I didn't feel like paying $100 for a system I already own with a few extra features. That, and I would have rather gotten the Game Boy Player instead. And I did.

Speaking of which, I wonder what sort of lighting the DS will have. Backlight? Nah, probably not. It'll probably be a frontlight like the SP. Which is fine by me, because backlighting uses up a whole lot more battery power. Just look at the Game Gear. If they include a brightness knob, I'll be even happier.</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I know a lot of people were sick of Nintendo coming out with 3 new gameboys in a row (pocket, color, advance)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>Huh? So Nintendo releases a few new systems, and people are mad about it? I'm surprised they're not complaining about how Nintendo released a N64 after they already released both an SNES and NES. And if I recall, the wait between the release of GBC and GBA was 4 years, which is about a year less than the time between the release of two consoles.
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Snice it plays gba games too ill just think of the DS as an upgrade. if i trade in my gba sb and normal gba it shouldnt be too bad. It looks great but the games still seem a lil iffy. but im sure things will shape up nicely by release time. It definitly looks worth $150( if thats the real price).
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    You know what confuses me most, is that I thought I remembered Nintendo saying something-or-other about how this was supposed to be a complementary system to the GC and GBA, and wasn't meant to replace either of them, yet it plays GBA games, it can't really be complementary if it completely rules out any reason to own a GBA, can it? Someone help me stop the brain-hurting!
  • aldarynaldaryn Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I think they meant it in the same way as PS2-PSOne. I don't think people will have much incentive to buy GBA's then except they'll be cheaper, but people won't feel like their GBAs they own are outdated as games will still come out for it, and they will be playable on the DS as well, just like when PSOne games still come out a ways after the PS2 launched. I can't imagine they'll do it very long though; i mean there isn't room enough in the market for both (they must realize this, hence the backwards capability), but by keeping the GBA games coming (I'm assuming Minish Cap will happen after the DS launch) they can smooth over the transition, which may mean poor initial DS sales, but it will help them win in the long run methinks.