If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

E3: Prequel Announced for Final Fantasy VII

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited June 2004 in Latest Updates
You thought FFX-2 was the only Final Fantasy spinoff? ?Guess again.

Comments

• nectarsisnectarsis Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    i'm curious about this game...but seeing as it's cell phone based, i'm not to excited..plus we probably won't see it in the US....WHY OH WHY won't they do a real sequel?confused.gif mad.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    Thanks RPGamer...that headline had me almost in an orgasm of happiness.

Damn cell phone games, why can't they make a proper new FFVII game?!
  • chromegachromega Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    seriously...who plays games on cellphones??? --> well i do but that's beside the fact...they shud make it for console...
  • KythlynKythlyn New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    There isn't a smiley pukey enough to represent the way I feel about Square-Enix's decision to waste their energy on cell phones.
  • David BoringDavid Boring Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I'm going to have to echo the general sentiment. It's hard to be too enthused about a cell-phone based prequel even if it is related to one of my favorite games.

I wouldn't even play Tetris on that little screen. I can't imagine this having any impact at all.
  • MageoftheSandsMageoftheSands Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (chromega @ May 11 2004,11:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"seriously...who plays games on cellphones??? --> well i do but that's beside the fact...they shud make it for console...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    N-Gage fans.

FF for the N-Gage? Someone's going to die for this.

Think it could be ported for the SP or DS?
  • DominoDomino Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Nooooooooo!!!!

I so would like to play as Reno and the Turks. The opprotunity is amazing, but on a stupid cell-phone? I hope MageoftheSands is right, and they port this to the PSP.

Although, it is another spin-off, when all I really want is FFXII.
  • IadienIadien Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Well, I wanted a prequel like this for a long time but not on a stupid cell phone!!!
  • XadionXadion Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Well the idea of a prequel should despell alot of the plot questions about the formation of shinra and jenova- my problem is- is this just something for hype? leading into a full fledged game? or is this meant to be a full fledged game to hold its own--if so, I must state again the mobel phone is a poor choice imo, most deff stateside for obvious reasons.
    Bewbs...heh...heh
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    biggrin.gif Heh its funny FF7, the biggest in the series that a lot of people wet their caks about with incesant "ff7 is kewl" etc, Square cant seem to get it right with follow ups to the game Dvd good but not quite what we'd like, cell phone not my cup of rosie lee but im sure people will go for it
  • SeraphimHunterSeraphimHunter Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    It may do well in Japan but it certainly won't here. Cell phone games just don't work too well, and N-Gage is pretty good evidence of that.

Then again, Nokia's absurdly poor execution of that "system" could also be to blame for it's floundering but...well who knows.
  • Twilight CloudTwilight Cloud Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I hate to post a "me too!" comment, but I just can't stay quiet here. Cell Phones are not the way to go with FFVII, this is the greatest game of all time and I would hate to see it reduced by putting it's prequel on cell phones. It's just not right. sad.gif
  • aldarynaldaryn Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Me too. This will probably go over wonderfully in Japan, but I'm not even so sure FFVII is so cultishly idolized there like it is here since for many people here it's the "introductory" FF.
    Here's to hoping for a psp/ds port (preferrably DS, lookin' sweet....)
  • FraxFrax Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    "why can't they make a proper new FFVII game?! "

Probably because once you get past the summon animations and the FMV, there ain't much there.

I was oh-so-excited about FF7 when it came out. Bought it, played it, beat it. But then FF8 rolled around. FF9....FF10. All three with MUCH better storylines, better combat systems, graphics that didn't look like they belonged on a Quake 1 generation PC. (Granted the last point would be moot for any followup they'd make NOW, I'd hope.)

Hey! Let's shoot him with a Materia Cannon that can fire 3/4ths of the way across the planet! What? It didn't work? Well....okay, let's go hack him up with our swords! YEAH!

eh.gif sarcasm.gif

I prefer a game which requires more thinking than an episode of Dragon Ball Z, thanks. I *laughed* when Aeris got stabbed. That's how little the story made me care. Square would have to make a monumental effort to get me interested in another FF7-related game.
  • rubedorubedo Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I really hope that the game comes to other things besides cell phones, at least gameboy.

I also doubt that this is just hype for a real sequel. ?The game developers never planned on a sequel and i think they like how they ended the game. Also, if squareenix ever thought about making a sequel, they probably would have done it by now.

And frax, i hate you. mad.gif

Sorry, i just love ff7 and i had to say that to stay true to my love, really, your an okay guy!
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Frax @ May 11 2004,14:02)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""why can't they make a proper new FFVII game?! "

Probably because once you get past the summon animations and the FMV, there ain't much there.

I was oh-so-excited about FF7 when it came out. Bought it, played it, beat it. But then FF8 rolled around. FF9....FF10. All three with MUCH better storylines, better combat systems, graphics that didn't look like they belonged on a Quake 1 generation PC. (Granted the last point would be moot for any followup they'd make NOW, I'd hope.)

Hey! Let's shoot him with a Materia Cannon that can fire 3/4ths of the way across the planet! What? It didn't work? Well....okay, let's go hack him up with our swords! YEAH!

eh.gif ?sarcasm.gif

I prefer a game which requires more thinking than an episode of Dragon Ball Z, thanks. I *laughed* when Aeris got stabbed. That's how little the story made me care. Square would have to make a monumental effort to get me interested in another FF7-related game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Wow, I couldn't disagree more with your opinion. =P You must not have read very much about FF7 there is a lot they can do with a prequel.
  • SeraphSeraph New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I don't own a cell phone, and even if I did...
    I was really happy about the FFVII prequel ( it's my favorite FF) until the cell phone part...
    I'm a *little* skeptical about that.
    still... that could change. At least, I hope so...
    btw... I really liked FFVII... and let's just say it's because of the content, not something trivial like graphics.

• SchenSchen Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    A cellphone? What? Hmm, maybe Square might make one for the PSP when it comes out. Let's cross our fingers.
  • the ff dudethe ff dude Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I think a huge problem with Square-Enix is that they're trying to get as much as possible out of a name that so many people will buy. ?I'm not saying it will be a bad game, but come on, leave the poor games alone and quit milking them for all they have until everyone despises them. ?The fact that it's on a cell phone is even worse. ?Sounds to me like they want us to buy better cell phones, since they won't be putting it on my Sony Ericsson T300 anytime soon.

• Red ShiftRed Shift Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    confused.gif mad.gif confused.gif mad.gif confused.gif mad.gif eh.gif mad.gif sarcasm.gif

Cell phone? LAME. Wake me when they make an actual game, please.
  • MorridorMorridor Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (the ff dude @ May 11 2004,17:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think a huge problem with Square-Enix is that they're trying to get as much as possible out of a name that so many people will buy. ?I'm not saying it will be a bad game, but come on, leave the poor games alone and quit milking them for all theyhave until everyone despises them. ?The fact that it's on a cell phone is even worse. ?Sounds to me like they want us to buy better cell phones, since they won't be putting it on my Sony Ericsson T300 anytime soon.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I completely agree. Until Square merged with Enix, Square hadn't made a sequel. It almost seems like Enix is just influencing them at Square to make sequels to make money. I'm sure this game will do amazing in Japan as many have already said, but they have given no thought to us here in America, or the many other countries that play their games. I'd just like to say that they probably did this because they knew it would sell VERY well in Japan so they would get a lot of money out of that, and mabye they aren't even thinking about sending it over here because they know it won't do as well. If they were actually making this as an actual game, Square would have more sense than to put it on a cell-phone. I think this game is made more for the people to just have plain fun rather than have that much of a story-line. If it will have a really good storyline that explains a lot of how Jenova and Shinra came about, i know Square would put it on a console or at least the GBA. But since they said this. . .

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""Although much of the game appears to be vaguely action-oriented in nature, the battle system features a modified but still tried-and-true menus and turn-based system." [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I am leaning more to the side of this isn't much of a game.

However, i'd still like to see what's in it and if they put it on cell phones in the states, i will be very angry. If they do some sort of port i will be happy or if it just gets put on an emulator in english i will be happy.

One question i really have for people who own Cell phones with games on them. How do they make you pay for the games? Can't you just download them onto your phone or something? How does that work?

Danny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rubedorubedo Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Until Square merged with Enix, Square hadn't made a sequel. ?It almost seems like Enix is just influencing them at Square to make sequels to make money.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I disagree. ?Squaresoft was working on final fantasy X-2 way before they merged with enix. ?I think square is just trying to rake in as much money as it can get (business is business, what can i say). Don't worry though, square will still make good games, but they'll release the money-making sequels and spinoffs right next to 'em.
  • MorridorMorridor Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (rubedo @ May 11 2004,19:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Squaresoft was working on final fantasy X-2 way before they merged with enix.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, that's the first time i ever heard that, but it sounds true, because they couldn't have just merged and made a game up in the time between the merge and release of FFX-2.

Danny

After Edit: Yeah. I just checked the old news archives and saw they started making the game and announced it a good time before the merge. Sorry, just ignore that one thing i said then, everything else should still apply

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    its been said, but what a freakin waste! if, square enix is really out to make money as many people claim, then they should put it on PS2 or PSP. maybe they're just REALLY stupid.......

• aldarynaldaryn Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I agree that this is Enix influence. Not in the sense of sequels; yes, FFX2 was in the works before the merger (but maybe not before TALKS of a merger...) The Enix influence is in the Screw America part (cell phone). Anyone remember the long silence of Enix from Dragon Quest IV for the NES to the too-late-IMO Dragon Quest VII for PSOne? If you ask me, Enix doesn't give a rat's patootie about NA gamers and now it's shining through in Square Enix. I am probably talking out my butt though.

Preach it, Frax. I too loved FFVII as I'd never played a 3D game before, but the plot was, well, dumb. Intricate, yes, but full of holes, and I prefer to play deep games, but not games that need you to take notes to make sense. (An exception for Final Fantasy Tactics, because the game took notes for you! Case in point right there.) A game can be plenty cheesy and simple and still have a gripping plot (see Lunar: SSSC). In retrospect, I have tried to play through FFVII again and just don't care to. In my book, it does -not- stand the test of time. For that matter, I didn't even really like FF8 when it come out (9 and 10 are masterpieces though)

That doesn't mean I want the FF7 prequel to suck though sad.gif
  • WildDracWildDrac Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    The truth is, many companies in Japan don't care about the American gamers. Squaresoft was always an exception. While they were always close in Japan, Final Fantasy has always been idolized by Americans, while Dragon Quest held that honor in Japan. Final Fantasy is beloved there as well, but DQ is an actual cultural icon.

Final Fantasy X-2 was already in the works before the merger, and the story to FFX was left somewhat open for it so in my mind it made sense. Not so sure about FF7. I never liked it as much as many of the others.

The cellphone network is really well developed in Japan, many companies view it as perfectly reasonble to develop games for it there. I mean, Abe-sensei was talking with my business class about how obsessed the Japanese are with wireless phones and such, she said she had to be sure hers was working before she went back to Japan. I think what SquareEnix is trying to do announcing it at E3 is to make American providers consider improving their network. Read S-E's business manifesto (as boring as it is), one of their goals includes gaining signifcant share in the wireless business, including the improvement of American networks. This looks a little like they're trying to encourage consumers to bother the cell phone companies here to improve their delivery systems and such so that cell phone games are more feasible here.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (aldaryn @ May 11 2004,19:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Anyone remember the long silence of Enix from Dragon Quest IV for the NES to the too-late-IMO Dragon Quest VII for PSOne?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You mean when Enix America went bankrupt?
  • BloodcatBloodcat Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    While I was never that fond of FF7 (And even less fond of the fanbase it has brought to anime and RPGs...), this is a VERY stupid move on Squenix's part.

An FF7 follow up is a LISCENSE TO PRINT MONEY on just about any of the major consoles, and a possible system seller for the next generation systems.

Stupid.

I guess the Enix part of the company wants to be like Banpresto and just do well in Japan, even though North America AND Europe are both bigger installed markets for gamers...
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    if there gonna make a preqal((did i spell it right?))
    they should do it propbaly on the ps2 or gamecube
    edited May 2004
    I think Square-Enix wants to focus more on their newer titles for the consoles.