If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

E3: Details of New Zelda Titles Emerge

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited May 2004 in Latest Updates
If today's conference is any indication, old classics never die. Long live Shiggy's creations biggrin.gif

Comments

• SpikingZeroSpikingZero Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Nobody's made a response to this yet?! Geez! Heh, speaking of Zelda, I'm currently running through Ages and Seasons again. Portable butt-kicking action, baby! Well, it's on my Game Boy Player (which is extremely cool, and significantly cheaper than buying a GBA).

As for the news, it's great to hear that more Zelda is coming out! The Minish Cap is the GBA title, if I've read correctly, right? Has a title been confirmed for the GCN console?
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpikingZero @ May 11 2004,16:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Has a title been confirmed for the GCN console?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes there has - THIS bad boy.

And I'm sure RPGamer will have the rest of the screens and the trailer up within hours.

?Untitled and no word on anything else except these beautiful, beautiful screens and the realization that Nintendo finally figured out what we wanted. ?Supposedly Shigeru Miyamoto came out with a sword and shield after the trailer for this one ran and was greeted with applause.

Between this and the DS (which I expected to be crap, and had my low expectations destroyed), I think Nintendo's darker days are over.

Staff Edit: While we thank you for bringing these screens to our attention, it is simply too large a load as well as bandwidth theft to remote link from a foreign site. As such we removed them. ~ CainEJW

"One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • MorridorMorridor Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SpikingZero @ May 11 2004,18:58)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Has a title been confirmed for the GCN console?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yes there has - THIS bad boy.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Untitled and no word on anything else except these beautiful, beautiful screens.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm confused, is there a title or isn't there a title? ?Although those screenshots are amazing. ?In my oppinion, after Ocarina of Time came out, Zelda went downhill (with the exception of Wind Waker since i have not played it yet and cannot comment on it). ?And now with this more mature looking game rather than Majora's Mask, i think this game will be more popular. ?As for Wind Waker (and since the only thing i can comment on is graphics for having not played the game), i'm sure many people will be very very excited to see this style of Link come back, along with more amazing eye candy. ?

I really have to play Wind Waker. . .

Danny

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RebochanRebochan Who needs Rinoa anyway? Full Members
    edited May 2004
    They haven't given much in the way of details, but their press conference featured this along with the Wind Waker sequel's trailer, and since it's clearly not FMV (especially if you've seen a few more of the screens), it's actually a playable game instead of that trailer they teased us with. As it seemed to be the crowning jewel of the press conference after the DS, they seem to be gearing up for this one to keep the system alive until they're ready to launch their next non-portable console.
    "One original thought is worth a thousand mindless quotings." -- Diogenes
  • OrbusOrbus Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    *Shrug* I kinda liked Wind Waker, but it's good to see them experiment with different styles for the series. This looks pretty cool too.
  • rubedorubedo Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I loved Ocarina of Time. ?I may go out and by a gamecube if this game is any good. (there are a few other GC games i want too, but not enough to buy the system)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"*Shrug* I kinda liked Wind Waker, but it's good to see them experiment with different styles for the series. ?This looks pretty cool too.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I don't think it's really expirimenting. ?In case you didn't know, those are almost exactly the same as the N64's style/graphics (but better!)
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    I don't think it's really expirimenting. In case you didn't know, those are almost exactly the same as the N64's style/graphics (but better!)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'm really not sure what you're trying to say. The Zelda games have gone through several stylistic shifts over their lifetime. This isn't the first, and won't be the last. Much the same as Ocarina of Time was not the be-all, end-all of Zelda that people often make it out to be. If anything, I'd say the styling of this game looks darker and more gritty than Ocarina of Time, which was still kind of cartoony in many respects. (Well... dark and gritty for Nintendo anyhow...)

I would speculate on where in the series continuity this game falls... but Zelda really has very little coherent continuity to speak of.

I've finally concluded that it's intended to be like a real set of legends, with characters thrown into different, sometimes conflicting situations. That's really the only approach to Zelda where the continuity makes any kind of sense.

Finally, I wonder if this means Wind Waker 2 has been scrapped? Up until this point, the thinking has been that the next game would follow in the vein of Majora's Mask (i.e. it would use the Wind Waker engine and be kind of a side story). It appears that plans have changed somewhat.

I'm also very curious about the new GBA game. The screenshots I've seen make it look like a new 2-D single player adventure, which actually appeals to me just as much if not more than the new GCN game.

edited May 2004
    If you have played Ocarina of Time, you will see the simularities. Link has the exact same sheild, exact same clothes, and roughly the same body size. These make it a bunch more like Ocarina of Time than the Windwaker of Link to the Past or any other Zelda game out there (Except that mask one, because it is the same thing too).

Yes, there are minor differences, but I just can't see how you can consider this someting new. It's not a new idea or format or syle or whatever. It is the same format found in Ocarina of Time, and you can compare screen to make sure (just make sure you are looking at the grown up link, not the kid link)
  • aldarynaldaryn Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Having read every snippet of E3 news I can find, as I understand it, Waker haters and lovers alike have plenty of reason to rejoice. Including Four Swords Adventures, we have FOUR Zelda games on the way.

First we obviously have the multiplayer Four Swords in june.
    Then, not only do we have this new OOTesque gamecube zelda, but this is separate from the fact that there IS a Wind Waker 2 being developed.

And last we have the totally new Capcom/Flagship-developed (as with the Oracles games) The Minish Cap, which sounds interesting if nothing else.

It's a good time to be a Zelda fan. Heck, it's a good time to be an RPG fan. Look at all the goods coming out (a lot of these release dates are from ebgames.com and are probably wrong.)

Front mission 4 6/15 PS2
    Tales of Symphonia 7/13 GC
    Baten Kaitos 11/15 GC
    Star Ocean 3 8/1 PS2
    Zelda: Four Swords Adventures 6/1 GC
    Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne Fall PS2
    Xenosaga, Episode II 2/15/05 PS2
    Fire Emblem GC 10/18 GC
    Paper Mario 2 10/18 GC
    Final Fantasy XII 12/30/05? PS2
    Phantom Brave 8/31 PS2
    Wind Waker 2 10/18 GC
    Other Zelda? ? GC
    Suikoden IV 12/31 PS2
    Shining Force 6/8 GBA
    Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap ? GBA

oh yeah and i guess xboxers get KOTOR II at some point... smile.gif
    edited May 2004
    I edited my post above, but by the time I'd finished, people had already replied. sarcasm.gif Anyhow, yes, the style is closer to Ocarina of Time than Wind Waker, I'm not arguing that.

And we don't know if Wind Waker 2 is still on. No one's said anything about it for a while that I've heard. With this coming down the pipe now, I'm not so sure. It may have been canned.

• RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I dunno, in the screenshot gallery at IGN the last screenshot is a history of the Legend of Zelda titles. At the very bottom it says "2XXX - Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker 2" so at the very least, we will see a second Wind Waker before the end of the Millenium.
    edited May 2004
    yes, that 2xxx thing was at a presentation given on the history of zelda. if you got to the wind waker 2 page at gamespot, you can read more about it. it may have been canned but i don't think so (there's still a preliminary page for it at ebgames.com too). at least i sure hope it wasn't; i imagine if it's still on they should be showing it at e3 too... we'll have to wait and see.
  • Twilight CloudTwilight Cloud Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Yes there has - THIS bad boy.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Wow, those screens look great. This is what I wanted from Wind Waker. I think this syle is far better then the cell shaded version that wind Waker used, but that style wasn't without it's stong points.
    edited May 2004
    Hmmm, I've reached a new conclusion from the following data.

1. Wind Waker 2 is not on the nintendo e3 website.
    2. the 'hint' from the zelda history presentation said 2XXX.
    3. the new OOTesque Zelda is slated for 2005, so it's certainly not too early to be hinting at WW2.
    4. Between OOTesque Zelda, WW and Four Swords, would the big N really put an unprecedented four games on one system when they already have the collector's edition and master's quest games too?

Conclusion: Wind Waker 2 is on the horizon, but for the generation after this one. Just a guess though.
    edited May 2004
    Or alternatively that slide was from an old presentation and shouldn't have even been up there. You'll notice that Minish Cap and the new game (unless it's WW2?) weren't on the list.

That's where my money is, but the game may yet resurface.
  • Ghraf13Ghraf13 New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Rubedo taking in what you have said about Link's shield and clothes to be the same as Ocarina of Time in no way helps you argument if thats the case go look at super smash brothers oh hey look at that the clothes and shield are the same as well as his age...

edit: i forgot to say...his clothes and shield are basically the same design in all the games, it might not be as detailed in the 2d games but it is

this is why i hate e3, too much speculation and not enough enjoying of whats being presented

but i guess people need to let their ego's go and be the "first" to say what the game is going to be like...sigh

• DraygoneDraygone Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I rather doubt this Link is the same Link found in Ocarina and Majora. But at this moment I'm not interested in that. I want an answer for something else. In the beginning of Wind Waker, it mentions that Ganon (I assume) came back again after the events found in Ocarina. The people were hoping that the Hero of Time would come back to save them again, but he didn't. Where was Link at that time?
    edited May 2004
    i read somewhere on gamespot that the link is basically the same as the one in Soul Calibur II. that's my vote.
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I rather doubt this Link is the same Link found in Ocarina and Majora.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I didn't say he was the same Link, just that he looked the same. ?tounge.gif ?Who says that the Zelda plots have to over lap?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Rubedo taking in what you have said about Link's shield and clothes to be the same as Ocarina of Time in no way helps you argument if thats the case go look at super smash brothers oh hey look at that the clothes and shield are the same as well as his age...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Well, I guess you are right, but if you compare it to the adult Link from Ocarina of Time, you can see all sorts of simularities.

Yes, all Links from all the Zelda games have lots of simularities, but these screen shots look like the Link from the Ocarina of Time than any other link (especially wind waker)

P.S. The Link from Super Smash Brothers was taken straight from Ocarina of Time.