If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer's Donation Campaign

KamikazeKamikaze MemberFull Members
edited July 2004 in Site & Forum Support
Well, since nobody has yet taken the initiative, I think I will. How do you feel about the donation campaign?

In my opinion, I think donation campaigns are quite ineffective. It implants in the reader that the site is in danger of going under, quite possibly in the very near future. For new visitors to the site, with absolutely no loyalties, they will be immediately turned off by this and point their browser elsewhere. A longtime reader might be more likely to donate, but in doing so they'll expect results. What if they are not delivered? Driving away the core readership will sink this site faster than anything else.

If RPGamer is growing too big for its britches, perhaps the time is ripe to actually create a subscription service. Sure, it might be no different from begging in the fact that money is being exchanged, but it sure looks a lot more professional. Begging is more of the realm of a desperate fansite. A subscription service could be as simple as locking up the movies. Therefore, only the people who really really want the movies can pay for access to them, and their money can keep the rest of the site free for everyone else to use. If more financial need arises, more premium content can be added, but of course it will need to be of very good quality.

Sure, it would be dandy if RPGamer could remain free. But, unfortunately, sites with high traffic using ridiculous amounts of bandwidth need to be funded. Advertising alone only goes so far. Panhandling doesn't go anywhere. I think its time for RPGamer to mature, or face the music and die off, because begging is only going to speed up that process.

Comments

• neclordswordneclordsword Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I think RPGamer has every right to at least put up a way that people can donate.
    While your plan is sound, and it probably would work, I fear that this would lead to having too much media locked off from the average user if they didn't have a subscription, which might turn away even more visitors. I believe this is how many "exclusive" gaming sites turn out to be.
  • KamikazeKamikaze Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (neclordsword @ May 25 2004,02:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think RPGamer has every right to at least put up a way that people can donate.
    While your plan is sound, and it probably would work, I fear that this would lead to having too much media locked off from the average user if they didn't have a subscription, which might turn away even more visitors. I believe this is how many "exclusive" gaming sites turn out to be.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'm not arguing that. RPGamer can get its money however it wants, but begging almost always never works. There are better ways to go about getting money, and I think Mikel took the easy way out by begging.

I don't want RPGamer to die off, since there are very few sites that have such extensive information. However, either they find a sound way to fund their expansion, or they don't. If they do, we all win. If they don't, there are two choices. Find a way to cut back on bandwidth, by eliminating movies and high resolution screens, or offering a text-only "lite" version of the site, thus lessening their financial burden. Or, close down the site.
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    One word:

Merchandising.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I guess I wouldn't mind a few more ads per page. I mean, 1 is fine, but maybe 3 per page won't be too bad.
  • Shadow XShadow X Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ May 25 2004,03:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"One word:

Merchandising.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I'll second that. I really wouldn't mind buying stuff from the site. I think its more apealing than a big fat "Give Us Money Please" link.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I think the name on this bill reads "Mikel Tidwell" and at the end of the day, he decides how he will pay them.

As long as we do not start locking things behind subscription and calling that a choice, I will be just fine with however he pays the bills--donations included.
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    The donation thing is fine by me. I've already done it in fact, since I've been coming here for years and figure I should help in any way possible.

I would stay away from the pay site stuff, because it tends to create an elitist atmosphere, and nobody needs that. I paid for a year of stuff at GameSpy last year, and while I've enjoyed the instant downloads and disabled advertisements, the people who run it felt they needed more money, so they merged with IGN... plus I think the editing at GS has gone downhill too, though I don't think thats related to the paysite shift. In any case, I doubt I will renew the subscription, as now I'm getting little niggling ads anyway.

If it does go that way, don't take away the news, and don't make it a chore to see it, either. I have to keep my flash plugin uninstalled until I need it because so many sites out there use it for ads. Thankfully, RPGamer doesn't.
  • Lucid DreamerLucid Dreamer Banned Banned Users
    edited May 2004
    Get rid of the movies. Who honestly looks at them, with anything more than a sense of idle curiosity, or mild interest? If they absolutely have to see a clip of megaflare, they should probably go get the game and look firsthand. I say videos should be limited to previews of new games etc...
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ May 25 2004,01:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"One word:

Merchandising.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hrmm.. What kind of items would you like to see? Obviously t-shirts are a given, but what else? ^^
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Mugs would be an idea as well as mouse pads.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • happytownhappytown Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    While I agree that begging for money makes it seem like RPGamer is scraping the bottom of the barrel, I say that it's really their own choice if they want to pander for cash.

I like the idea of merchandising however. ?Of course you've got t-shirts and mugs and mousepads like MonCapitan said, but you could also do a line of bumper stickers, decals, etc. ?I wouldn't mind buying an RPGamer bumper sticker for my car.
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    There's only about a hojillion and one things you can stick a label on and sell. Have someone design you a new RPGamer logo or two, come up with a new slogan too for good measure, stick it all on any/everything over at cafepress along with the site's URL and boom, instant profits.

Also, I know it's 100% not feasible, but something I would definately love to see is compilation cd's of the greatest hits from the sound test section. Some of the music people submit there is really incredible. Problem is, not only does RPGamer not create that stuff, the people who do are just stealing it from other RPG music creators. It's like if somehow you managed to get liscensing rights from the song creators, you'd still have to make an agreement with the remixers. Kind of a lose/lose situation. sad.gif
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Project Majestic Mix seems to have made it workable, if not terribly feasible.
  • trickwaterstrickwaters Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ May 27 2004,14:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also, I know it's 100% not feasible, but something I would definately love to see is compilation cd's of the greatest hits from the sound test section. ?Some of the music people submit there is really incredible.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    YES.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    Mugs and stickers etc all cost money to produce so obviously you'd need some capital to get that off the drawing board and it aint a guarantee that they'd sell so a poll on what would be a good way to generate interest/support in the site

The music compilation is a good idea, id suggest a magazine though as it would be a good way to advertise the site as well as get non internet patrons
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    The magazine idea's been around, so I'm not sure if it's as feasible as the other ones. I know Google's been talking about it for a while now...
  • Options
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ May 27 2004,11:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Project Majestic Mix seems to have made it workable, if not terribly feasible.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yeah, if you read the liner notes of the PMM gold set they talk about how difficult it was to get the liscensing agreement from Uematsu alone. I can only imagine how difficult it would be for someone to get agreements for not only Uematsu (as I'm sure there would be some Final Fantasy music in the compilation) but the original composers of any other songs that made it into it. Not only that, but the creators of the remixes would have to sign over their songs to RPGamer so that they would be able to profit off of them. I don't think this would be THAT big of a deal. If I were into remixing music, I personally wouldn't have any qualms about allowing RPGamer to profit off a song I wrote. You gotta think though, it's one thing to submit a song to a gaming site for them to post for free, and a whole other deal for them to actually make money off of it.

For all intents and purposes it's possible. But I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to get the permissions for it. All that said, I personally would be one of the first to pick up a copy if anyone put the work into getting it done.
  • O Shrouded OneO Shrouded One Hobo With A Huge Heart Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I support the merchandising idea. ?T-Shirts, hoodies, hats, mousepads, bumper stickers, posters...the whole deal. ?Hey, even posters of staff members work!^^ ?Magazine ads would help too, but then you'd have to pay. Another thing, Roku has a VERY good idea that you should listen to. ?Listen to Roku, he's a genius!!

Hire me for work!
    Follow me on The Twitters!
    “Like” my page so I get some form of internal satisfaction from a number associated with me increasing!
  • RokuRoku Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    RPGamer has a tremendous amount of talent. ?Programmers, writers, artists, composers...you name it. ?Maybe you guys could get together and make and sell an RPG? ?I'm sure a number of the regular readers here wouldn't mind pitching in either. ?What do you think?
    EDIT: Looks like Shroudie couldn't wait for me to finish typing it up. ^_^

edited May 2004
    Hey, I can even autograph some stuff for the fans!
    What do you say, celebrity endorsement for free!!
    Hire me for work!
    “Like” my page so I get some form of internal satisfaction from a number associated with me increasing!
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Roku @ May 28 2004,01:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"RPGamer has a tremendous amount of talent. ?Programmers, writers, artists, composers...you name it. ?Maybe you guys could get together and make and sell an RPG? ?I'm sure a number of the regular readers here wouldn't mind pitching in either. ?What do you think?
    EDIT: Looks like Shroudie couldn't wait for me to finish typing it up. laugh.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    But of course.... the problem is getting these people from different parts of the globe to actually find the time to work together....
    edited May 2004
    positive thinking Meo, it's highly possible if me and Roku kidnap them
    Hire me for work!
    edited May 2004
    But you don't know where I live, therefor you will never get me. tounge.gif
    edited May 2004
    never doubt Shroudie

Hire me for work!
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Roku @ May 27 2004,17:48)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"RPGamer has a tremendous amount of talent. ?Programmers, writers, artists, composers...you name it. ?Maybe you guys could get together and make and sell an RPG? ?I'm sure a number of the regular readers here wouldn't mind pitching in either. ?What do you think?
    EDIT: Looks like Shroudie couldn't wait for me to finish typing it up. laugh.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Why does this ridiculous idea get trotted out so often? How can anyone play RPGs so much and be a common goer to this site without having any understanding of the sheer workload required to make a decent, if not good, rpg. Do you guys think the people at Square just go 'ho-hum, we got talent, I think we can make another game our spare time and not need to dedicate hundreds of thousands of man-hours to it and work day and night to get it done in any sensible time frame.'? The staff of RPGamer already have a part-time job, on top of whatever they do in real life to keep solvent (usually work and school if I've been reading it right). It happens to involve keeping this site updated and running, writing the articles, and doing all kinds of other work. They also, wonderously, need sleep when they finish the normal tasks of life and handling the site. It would be impossible for them to make a decent RPG, much less deal with the mess that goes along with getting it to market.

Dracos
  • RokuRoku Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ May 27 2004,19:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Why does this ridiculous idea get trotted ?out so often? ?How ?can anyone play RPGs so much and be a common goer to this site without having any understanding of the sheer workload required to make a decent, if not good, rpg. ?Do you guys think the people at Square just go 'ho-hum, we got talent, I think we can make another game our spare time and not need to dedicate hundreds of thousands of man-hours to it and work day and night to get it done in any sensible time frame.'? ?The staff of RPGamer already have a part-time job, on top of whatever they do in real life to keep solvent (usually work and school if I've been reading it right). ?It happens to involve keeping this site updated and running, writing the articles, and doing all kinds of other work. ?They also, wonderously, need sleep when they finish the normal tasks of life and handling the site. ?It would be impossible for them to make a decent RPG, much less deal with the mess that goes along with getting it to market.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Don't be silly, I obviously didn't mean a full complete RPG with a 100 hour story, incredible 3D graphics, FMVs, an orchestra, or any of that. I meant a simple RPG. Making a simple RPG was the final for my Computer Science class so I think I know how long they take thank you very much. While it's true that they can take 300 hours easily, this is far less when divided. Of course, they could spend thousands of hours and make something much more, but this is merely a donation incentive, nothing more. Yes, I know that the staff is quite busy, but this was merely a suggestion. I'd much rather spend $10-20 on an RPG than on a T-shirt (though I like the T-shirt idea too) and my guess is that others would too.
    edited May 2004
    Dracos, what do you think we meant? :p

Hire me for work!
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited May 2004
    Except some of us have absolutely no interest in making an RPG. Sorry <.<;
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    If I had a choice between paying ten or twenty bucks for a half-assed game and just donating the money and having the people available to actually work on the site more, I'd pick the latter. There're enough people on the Internet that think they can make a game that offer them for free if I'm feeling masochistic, and if I want to spend $20, I'll go pick up a used game.
  • agentflitagentflit Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Roku @ May 27 2004,19:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'd much rather spend $10-20 on an RPG than on a T-shirt (though I like the T-shirt idea too) and my guess is that others would too.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Generally, people are less willing to pay for low-quality products than decent-quality stuff, even if it is mass-manufactured.