If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Points of View - Alumnus Maximus

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited June 2004 in Latest Updates
Everyone thank Simon for this week's update, as he did most of the coding in an initiation of sorts. ?While we make progress through Roku and Otterland's eternal backlog, we also included some reviews from new but returning readers. ?Enjoy!

Comments

• Duke OtterlandDuke Otterland Banned Banned Users
    edited June 2004
    Wow, another big update. Keep up the good work, guys.

Tribulations' Fire Emblem review pretty much sums up what I've heard about the game. I think I'll pass for the time being.

Dang, a five for Arc II? Didn't you notice the ridiculously high miss and counterattack rates, kupomogli? Or was there someway you worked around them? I personally thought Arc III was the strongest of the original trilogy.

The second image of my DW4 is broken, and I'd like to see that fixed.

I won't spar with your Zelda II review, Roku. Pretty well written. I'll definitely try SaGa Frontier II in the future, once I've beaten the first. Quest 64 definitely speaks for itself. Even though the other Rhapsody reviews have been fairly negative, I'll definitely try that in the future. Nippon Ichi's first RPG, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm not into D&D-based RPGs, so I'll pass on those.

Phew, I'm done.

• Zidane109Zidane109 Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Fire emblem Deserves More Than 3
    it has great music!(the best on the GBA)
    and Great animation

I also think the story was very good.

And the best art work Ive seen in a long time.

I Would say more like 4.

• RokuRoku Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Phew, good thing I checked while I was away ^^.

Otterland, I was very close to giving Rhapsody a 2, but I didn't because it was over before any parts became too repetitive or annoying and it had a lot packed into its short playtime. ?It's a love-it-or-hate-it type of game, but does have some interesting parts if you can withstand its ridiculous levels of cuteness. ?Also, the battle system will be pretty meaningless unless you set the difficulty to maximum. ?Oh yeah, there's very little replay value either. ?Hope this helps your decision.

I haven't played any of these games so I can't really agree/argue with any of them. Well, I suppose maybe Fire Emblem, but I'm getting yelled at from the other room as I speak so I don't have time to read it at the moment and it wouldn't be fair to argue based on score alone. ^^

EDIT: Just making sure my Wild ARMs and Pokemon Stadium reviews didn't get lost in limbo since they came before/between the times I sent those. Let me know if I need to resend them. Thanks.

• Options
    edited June 2004
    Don't get me wrong, Zidane 109, I really did enjoy Fire Emblem.

However, fancy artwork, while great, does not make the game. The story, as I said in my review, was very RPG-by-numbers if you will...and while that didn't hurt it in my eyes, it certainly doesn't warrant a 4.

As for the music, it was good, but IMO it is far from the best on the GBA. Wait till you guys play Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon. I recently completed the import version for the GBA, and the music in that game is nearly flawless.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Wow. Roku is by far the only one I've ever met who actually enjoyed playing Rhapsody. Well, aside from Seraphic, but he loves every game in existence tounge.gif

I guess it's all up to taste as usual. The review was good though.

The Arc 2 review was a bit over the top.... I love the game and all, but I think that it has way too many flaws to deserve a perfect score. Especially the last part of the game comes to mind.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Red RavenRed Raven Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Roku: Your Wild ARMs and Pokemon Stadium reviews are just fine - I double-checked them myself for today's update, but they were "cut" until a future update. We want to try and distance ourselves from posting 10+ reviews at a time.

? -Red Raven
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Roku: I can't imagine how anyone plays that game without finding the 'we're going to recolor the same room again' dungeons repetative. laugh.gif

Solon:
    I have to agree here. Arc 2, while easily the best of the series, is far from a superlative gaming experience, having many obvious flaws through it, weak sections where the script just fell apart, and other small troublesome aspects throughout it. A decent four perhaps, but definitely not something that deserves straight(almost) fives.

Otterland:
    You know, you really didn't give much credit for the scope of DW 4. As far as nintendo rpgs go it was easily larger than any other I can think of, with a far more robust cast.

And Rhapsody is a renter type game, at best.

Dracos
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    If by renter, you mean "worth running it over with a tank, microwaving its remains, immolating those in a campfire, and cannonballing whatever's left into the sun", then yes, yes it is.

Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • sanyrsanyr Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Glad to see I wasn't the only one that liked Zelda 2!
  • RokuRoku Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    ::sigh:: ?Not to start the whole /5 and /10 debate again, but this is why I dislike the /5. ?I'd give Rhapsody a 4/10 (maybe even borderline 5/10) which translated to a 3/5 on the new scale. ?I've been informed since then that 4s become 2s, but I forgot to rescore this one accordingly. ?I wouldn't say I enjoyed it, but I didn't hate it either. ?It managed to keep my attention for its low playtime and that's about it, ending before anything aside from the cut-and-paste dungeons became annoying. ?Even those weren't too bad since the longest dungeon took about 20 minutes to complete and it was redesigned and detailed rather than being a mere recolor like the others.