If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

La Pucelle: Tactics - Staff Review

Amish_ChiefAmish_Chief MemberFull Members
edited June 2004 in Latest Updates
Well, what can I say that hasn't been said already?

Part of me wishes I was able to level up enough to take on the optional bosses in Chapters 4 and 8, although to do so would have added on an extra 10-20 hours of gameplay, which was unacceptable due to our self-imposed deadline. ?Although, I don't know whether I want to tackle those bosses anytime soon. ?Too many projects to work on right now, of course.

Anyways, that being said, I liked the game a lot. ?It was worth all the original retail price, and especially if you're a fan of Disgaea, get this game. ?This review might have been a little more awestruck if we hadn't seen Disgaea beforehand.

Even so, the fact that we even see La Pucelle in North America is thanks to the aforementioned title's massive success.

I'm also curious to see what everyone thinks about Mastiff's edits, but first things first. ?You may commence with flaming.

Comments

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    You know, while I had a fairly more negative take on the whole game, for various issues about it, that's not a bad review of it.

And I agree with you on the edits. Forget the religious stuff, the cigar was extremely noticible. Not redoing the sprite actions better while taking it out was a bad move on Mastiff's part. You don't leave such a rough edit in something that's getting regularly front and center camera work.

Dracos
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    I remember something from my days with Enix that smoking is pretty much a guaranteed bump-up for the ESRB's rating. It's why they took out Badrach's smoking in Valkyrie Profile, and I'd assume it's the same line of reasoning here.
  • sanyrsanyr Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Wonder how much it would really hurt ... they put in descriptors for why a game is rated as such, I wonder how many parents would actually flip their lids over 'Tobacco References' being one of them.
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    I doubt it has so much to do with parents. The accusations pointed towards big tobacco for allegedly targetting minors with their products has been something ongoing for a long time. It makes sense to me that the imagery of a cool guy like Croix smoking a phatty while slaying demonic teddy bear asses would be instant grounds for a mature rating, especially since there's not really a "PG 13" rating for video games.
  • chaoticprimechaoticprime Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    They could have had full on decapitations with blood squirting all over the place taking the shape of a pentagram and it would not have gotten as much ######## as it would have had they let Croix's cigars remain.

Personally, I am and adult, though, and I think drugs and sex in games is cool. I sure as hell do not inhibit what my son says or does, course I cannot get a preschool to keep him for over a week as a result.

I wish someone would make a game so damned wrong and disturbing on all possible grounds just so it would raise the standards of what is not acceptable in a video game. That way, not so many blowhards would raise #### over minimal examples of a possible negative influence in a game. GTA 3 had the right idea, but they did not have enough sex and profanity. They need to release GTA Sodom and Gamhorra, with so much sodomy and drug abuse it will have mothers all over the country **** themeselves for the opportunity to bitch and whine.

You know what else the problem is, people screwing with games, it's us americans and our fixation on changing things to suit our own interests. Look at Working Designs. They get so much praise for making "quality translations" while they massacre the original content of a game. I'd say the folks over at Mastiff are guilty of the same crime. They figured they would take a preemptive approach to what could quite be remotely interpretted as innapropriate content. I'm supposing they overlooked the rating the game was to receive due to other content, and then chose to overlook the fact that the game was really not appealing to the general audience, and anyone playing an RPG that's real appeal was mindless hours of levelling up prolly does not give two **** about nicotine use in a video game.

If you ask me, anyone who gives their kids #### over smoking in a video game needs to personally march to Jerry Bruckheimer's house and crucify his ass for Producing movie's that promote Car Theft, Piracy, and missinterpretation of Arthurian legend. Cause those are real things to be worried about, movies making your kids idiots.
  • LinkOcarinaManLinkOcarinaMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Nice review

I love this game. I even liked it more than Disgaea.

I loved Disgaea but it seemed way to crowded sometimes (if that makes sense)

This game is just as deep as Disgaea and, at the same time, more structured. I love La Pucelle.

It is the second best RPG on the PS2 in my opinion behind only Suikoden III.
  • TheTykeTheTyke Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    ACK! I never knew Bardrach was a smoker! There goes all my respect for him. [/sarcasm]

Although I've often said I think certain things should be left out of games, I think that leaving out smoking is a bit silly.

Maybe just because I've never had that problem though.
  • Options
    edited June 2004
    You guys are missing the point. They didn't edit out the smoking because they have some vendetta against smokers, or are some moral authority. They cut it out in order to keep their ESRB rating Teen. As Rico said, smoking in a game all but assures a mature rating as the video gaming industry as a whole doesn't need another reason for some retard senator breathing down it's neck about how it's corrupting the nation's youth.
  • LinkOcarinaManLinkOcarinaMan Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    I can imagine La Pucelle with a Mature rating.

God that whole thing is BS
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sanyr @ June 04 2004,00:37)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Wonder how much it would really hurt ... they put in descriptors for why a game is rated as such, I wonder how many parents would actually flip their lids over 'Tobacco References' being one of them.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It can be slapped with a 'Use of Drugs', which can be the deciding factor in pushing a teen game up to mature. Yes, there are T rated games with smoking, but they've been pushed up from E to T in the process.
  • mogforevermogforever Banned Banned Users
    edited June 2004
    good review.i agreed with it for the most part. biggrin.gif

i see why they censored it,but i still don't agree with it. because the rating system on video games doesn't mean much overall.most parents i know dont look at it very much,and if a kid cant get it with their parents there going to get it another way just like anything else (movies,music,drugs,etc...).so taking away from the artistic integrity of this game for censorship is stupid.also if in saga frontier gen can drink sake(which kids could mistake for beer) after every battle and get a teen rating then i dont see what harm a little cigar poses?
  • slapizaga_the_banditslapizaga_the_bandit Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Why do people keep calling La Pucelle Tactics a prequel to Disgaea? ?It is not in the same storyline as Disgaea. ?Just because it was developed by the same company (Nippon Ichi) and has a similar play/graphical style does not make it a prequel in any regard...

• GambitxGambitx Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    I've somewhere (don't remember where now!) that La Pucelle took place in the same world of Disgaea, but in a different country! It's was a Mastiff member who pointed that! Gosh, I don't remember the site... alien.gif
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gambitx @ June 04 2004,11:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I've heard somewhere (don't remember where now!) that La Pucelle took place in the same world of Disgaea[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Seriously though, No. La Pucelle is a completely different world and that's Nippon Ichi themselves who've said that.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sniffysniffy Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    I love La Pucelle from the little I have played of it. Nice review indeed, very indepth. ?I however liked the 2D environments, and the exploration aspects of the game. It just feels like you have more control in a SRPG when you can go to towns and talk to NPCs, and such. I wish Front Mission had a mode like that to break up the monotony of the typical SRPG.

But anyhow, nice review. I hope that Nippon Ichi continues to make excellent SRPGS, and big ups to Mastiff for having the guts to pitch the game to Sony Comp Ent Am. We are getting a lot of good RPGs in the U.S. finally.
  • GambitxGambitx Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    There is where I read that: http://ps2.ign.com/articles/518/518403p1.html

At least that is what they "think"!!! confused.gif
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Ok, but that still doesn't say that it took place in the same "world" as Disgaea did. That sounds more like an assumption that the title takes place in the same general areas as each other.

I would probably agree that they're part of the same planet, just from different portions and also from different time periods. Now, i'm just assuming that of course but really, Mastiff is assuming that the worlds are connected in some way. Nowhere is it official that the worlds are connected or disconnected so really it's all assumption.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LukkaLukka New Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    At the very least, it's connected to Rhapsody. The Kingdom of Marl is mentioned numerous times. Marl was the major city in that game.

"<span class="spoiler">Plus Homard is the Prince of Marl. smile.gif</span>"
  • aldarynaldaryn Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    I have a question. Is this RPGamer now reviewing out of 5 instead of out of 10, or this review? Because the review seemed really positive, but all marks were under 5, and 4/5 sounds much better than 4/10. I know RPGamer defends their low review scores by saying their 5 is average, like a C or a 7.0 at most review sites, but a 4 is still a C- which is weird for such a positive review (along with the fact that NO areas got 5 or above). Just wondering.
  • DarshuDarshu Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    People call it a prequel because:

A) It was released in Japan before Disgaea
    B) The dark world/netherworld in which Disgaea takes place is referenced heavily in La Pucelle.

kthxbai

• EggmanEggman New Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (aldaryn @ June 04 2004,10:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have a question. Is this RPGamer now reviewing out of 5 instead of out of 10, or this review? Because the review seemed really positive, but all marks were under 5, and 4/5 sounds much better than 4/10.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I was wondering the same thing. ?I saw the score and was expecting a review that pretty much said the game sucked. ?What I found instead was a review with almost no negative comments and a lot of glowing praise. ?Not exactly what I expected for a 4/10 review. ?There is nothing I hate more than a review where the text does nothing to justify the scoring, and that is essentially what this appears to be. ?If the text does not match the score, it makes you wonder about the validity of the review.

Eggman
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (mogforever @ June 04 2004,07:44)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"because the rating system on video games doesn't mean much overall.most parents i know dont look at it very much,and if a kid cant get it with their parents there going to get it another way just like anything else (movies,music,drugs,etc...).so taking away from the artistic integrity of this game for censorship is stupid.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    a) Not having your game carried by Wal-Mart is a pretty big potential hit to your sales, not that this necessarily applies to La Pucelle.

b) I've not played the game, but is smoking an integral part of the character of that character? ?If not, I don't see how this is some grand betrayal of artistic integrity.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (aldaryn @ Eggman,@)<;/td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, RPGamer has been reviewing out of 5 for some time now. In fact, if you'd actually clicked on the score, you would have been brought here, which would have explained it for you instead of wasting both our times here.

• FraxFrax Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Personally, I am and adult, though, and I think drugs and sex in games is cool. ?I sure as hell do not inhibit what my son says or does, course I cannot get a preschool to keep him for over a week as a result.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You, sir, are truly the White Trash of the Day award winner.

"MY KID'S A PRICK, AND I'M PROUD OF IT! YEEEHAW!"
  • GothicGothic Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Well, people.... just yesterday I was watching duck-tales... and guess what?confused.gif there was a guy smoking a huge cigar , so Disney is allowed to have them in programs for smaller children but they can't be in a computer game for older ones?confused.gif?

The U.S. sure is a weird country.
  • Red ShiftRed Shift Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It makes sense to me that the imagery of a cool guy like Croix smoking a phatty while slaying demonic teddy bear asses would be instant grounds for a mature rating, especially since there's not really a "PG 13" rating for video games. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Ummm....NO. A cigar is not going to cause an M rating! ?sarcasm.gif A T rating IS PG-13. Shenmue had tobacco and alcohol (check the ESRB description) and that was T. Maybe if he was smoking crack or something, but not on ordinary cigar. Mastiff just doesn't have the balls to not censor games because some religious fundamentalist group might sue them, WHA WHA WHA. ?mad.gif They can all burn in their hell.

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Talk about taking things a bit too seriously.

Great review, Amish, very well written. As I said earlier, you pretty much shared my opinions about the game in all sections.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
    edited June 2004
    ... Do you read, Red Shift?

Without the tobacco use, Shenmue could have quite possibly been rated E. La Pucelle Tactics was likely already headed for a T rating, and the retention of smoking would up it to a M. I worked for a company which chose to make an almost identical edit to keep their game at the lower rating. It may not be how you think things work, or how you think things should work, but having smoking in a game is an easy way to bump the rating up. Foggers, anyone?
  • Temple_PriestessTemple_Priestess Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ June 04 2004,11:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"b) I've not played the game, but is smoking an integral part of the character of that character? ?If not, I don't see how this is some grand betrayal of artistic integrity.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think it's just ridiculous that it has to even *be* an issue. Are Japanese game players so much more mature than us that they can handle cigars and alcohol in their games and we can't? And crosses are removed in a game with religious themes? This country is nuts. We are too much about protecting the little childruuun and not offending anyone that we go to great lengths over silly things...*SIGH*
  • GupGup Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    Gamerankings has RPGamer's score as 4/10.

Edit: Whoops! They changed it to 8/10.

• Red ShiftRed Shift Member Full Members
    edited June 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Without the tobacco use, Shenmue could have quite possibly been rated E. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

No. The violence would have been enough for T. Pretty much every non-cartoonish non-sports game these days gets slapped with a T rating. The ratings are getting stricter and stricter.

Final Fantasy Anthology, Chronicles, and Origins rated T, all loosely based on old Nintendo-censored originals (I know the censorship was removed, but enough to increase a rating?)

Castlevania: SOTN getting a T, then Castlevania: LOI for PS2 getting an M rating although it had the EXACT SAME level of violence.

DOAX volleyball getting an M rating (!) for "nudity". eh.gif WTF?

Goldeneye got a T rating back in '97, while Halo gets an M rating. Violence: identical.

There are many more examples. The ESRB has lost track of reality. I wouldn't care however, because I'm old enough to buy any game. But I can't, you see, because ($#@# companies like Mastiff decide to censor their games rather than "risk" an M rating. Like any "mainstream" people were thinking of buying this game. So we, the people who are not idiots and are capable of handling someone smoking in a game (I hate smoking, BTW), suffer as a result. WHAT A JOKE. mad.gif ?mad.gif ?mad.gif