If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Board Changes...?

CainEJWCainEJW MemberFull Members
edited July 2004 in Site & Forum Support
Ok, I was fishing a few ideas around today in a staff channel about how to improve our structure and increase patronage. This will be the first in a small series of polls to determine what exactly we can do to improve these forums. With that said, here's the first poll...

Of these choices, which would you say is in need more emphasis.

By emphasis, we mean more forums, organization, and possibly placement. Keep in mind your opinions could be used in creation of the updated forum.

There are 2 more polls planned after this one. One will deal with what you'd like to see more of (conversation, features, spamming, etc) and another will deal with what you'd most like to participate in (board member awards, board artist contests, etc).

Comments

• jordijordi Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I said more because I kind of liked:

I'd like to see more emphasis on the stuff behind the games, the fan works and roleplaying
    Well not sure but I think fanworks are something that I like seeing in some games.

I'd like to see more emphasis on the RPGamer side and less on the discussion side.
    Sometimes there's a time when some discussions hit the end because they don't know what else to say but "I like etc etc"

I dunno but it's just a small opinion biggrin.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Does my restriction limit the size of the posts I make? I had a big cool post written up and the forum munched half of it on the preview. Can't we call it quite Cain?

Anyhow, here's my post pre-munching:

rpgamer.txt
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    'quite' = 'quits'

<span id='ME'><center>LiQuid! misses his 'edit' button</center></span>
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I agree with pretty much everything Liquid said. I think we should do away with Computer RPGs and Handheld RPGs, because they don't generate a lot of discussion and you wouldn't think that threads relating to those would overrun the Other Games forum. Although, I would hate to see the Role Playing forum go, even though I know it doesn't garner much attention (I have noticed it being a bit more active lately though.) I would say that Artwork and Music could probably be merged too.

A forum strictly for debate would be cool methinks, I loves me some debates.

All in all, I'd like to see the first 3 options come into play.
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Id like more discussion and Liquid does make sense, what id like to see is that if theres a duplicate of the same thread then it gets added or linked onto the orignal or the more meatier thread so that everyone is able to see the comments and reciprocate effectively
  • trickwaterstrickwaters Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    As long as this forum doesn't turn into the boards you and I knew, Cain, I'm satisfied. ^~
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ July 01 2004,03:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Does my restriction limit the size of the posts I make? ?I had a big cool post written up and the forum munched half of it on the preview. ?Can't we call it quite Cain?

Anyhow, here's my post pre-munching:

rpgamer.txt[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No, it doesn't...however, I'll be in contact with you concerning your restriction in a minute smile.gif
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I wouldn't mind seeing something like the changes Liquid proposed. I loved the Handheld section, but it's REALLY rare to have something there. The Role Playing section had it's movement some time ago, but now, it's just a post here and there.
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Hum. Instead of casting a vote I think I'll just go through with my thoughts on each.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" I'd like to see more emphasis on personal discussion, dedicated forums about debate and feelings.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

On face, I'm always for more debate. But if by more debate/personal discussion this involves giving more forums to the misc board and encouraging further the 90+ page 'what are you doing at this second' threads, I'd be annoyed. Technically, there are already good areas here for debate, or at least have as much potential to be limited only by the population kept here. Creating specific debate forums wouldn't likely encourage it if the population working for it isn't already here. Creating specific personal forums would merely result in those threads getting split between misc and personals and an increase in those 'spammy' threads.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    I'd like to see more emphasis on gaming discussion, rumors and what is best about games.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I'd love to see this. Really would. Though I do not know how restructuring the board would really help. I guess you guys could get a dedicated staff member to encourage these sort of things directly, but right now you have gaming forums and with the general liveliness of the board (not raging), it's not hard to spot any gaming discussion that occurs and participate if it tickles your fancy. There's been several of these in the last week or two.

Technically, if you go this route, Liquid probably has the best point. It'd get the fringe 'too lazy to check a few board' groups in. But I can't see those being that large at any point.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    I'd like to see more emphasis on the stuff behind the games, the fan works and roleplaying.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Glory be here. But again, aside from the fanworks on site, I don't really see how you can get the roleplaying or game-dev forums moving without perhaps entailing a staff member to provide extra material and get more people involved. The game dev forums are slow by their nature, with only having maybe 30 participants ever and maybe a half dozen common drop-bys, it doesn't have the population to provide a more lively forum. Role playing, by it's nature, is handicapped both by the relatively drab population you got here alongside a lack of any real benefits in playing here (no lively/'good' population for games and no board specific benefits for an rp group to make this look like a nice place to play) and therefore is unlikely to grow. Those here who RP tend to take things to board sets that are more built for it (Providing mini-forums for the games and easier separation of games from each other). This isn't an issue here as the most games I've seen at any one time is about 3, none of them being organized with any seriousness and none of them moving with any energy.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" I'd like to see more emphasis on the RPGamer side and less on the discussion side.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

'No'. A good large portion of the boards are already dedicated to this. About the only thing that might be nice to see is the RPGamer 'updates' board separated into sections(sub-boards), so that it's easier to get to older updates in all sections (Finding a PoV or Eds thread from 2 weeks ago is not an easy task within the forums). This might result in more discussion on older topics and eventually topics in general, though I suspect some would dislike such a change for the obvious reason that if all the latest news updates are in front of you, you're more likely to randomly comment on one section you wouldn't otherwise look at.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE" I'd like to see the forums reorganized, maybe subforums or more dedicated game forums.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Liquid made a strong post here. And I can't find myself disagreeing too much with it.

Anyhow, more important is that the board could use more good boardies. And I don't mean just 'numbers'. Numbers drive away the good boardies with uninteresting, drab, and silly additions in an attempt for attention and belief that participation = good participation. I mean more of the people who think before they post and take time to write thins that are worth reading and worth pondering. This though, save cullin' (which will never get done here, I already can see), tearing from of the boards (A ton of work, but doable), or providing enthusiastic interesting folks leading who, by nature of charisma and work, provide something to keep those here who are interested in deeper discussion. A lot of work, that is. I don't think any rearrangement or re-emphasis on the boards would really fix that issue.

Dracos
  • Lucid DreamerLucid Dreamer Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2004
    Just to nit-pick. Instead of creative arts forum, can we call it 'Imagination Sanctuary'. It just sounds cool to me.
  • Zalbag BeoulveZalbag Beoulve Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lucid Dreamer @ July 01 2004,11:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Just to nit-pick. Instead of creative arts forum, can we call it 'Imagination Sanctuary'. It just sounds cool to me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    But then, we'd be too much like RPGFan.
    edited July 2004
    One other thing. On my own forums, we have something called the 'Evil Oscars' where we all vote a certain person for 'X 'category.

Things like:
    Best debator
    Most likely to enslave the human race
    nicest person

We already have a single thread similar to this, but if we could make it an official part of Rpgamer boards that would be cool.
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Zalbag Beoulve @ July 01 2004,11:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lucid Dreamer @ July 01 2004,11:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Just to nit-pick. Instead of creative arts forum, can we call it 'Imagination Sanctuary'. It just sounds cool to me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    But then, we'd be too much like RPGFan.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In that case we should all just talk about spotted Zebras and nothing else.
  • Zalbag BeoulveZalbag Beoulve Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lucid Dreamer @ July 01 2004,11:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Zalbag Beoulve @ July 01 2004,11:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"
    Just to nit-pick. Instead of creative arts forum, can we call it 'Imagination Sanctuary'. It just sounds cool to me.
    <span id='postcolor'>
    But then, we'd be too much like RPGFan.[/quote]
    In that case we should all just talk about spotted Zebras and nothing else.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sorry, apparently I need to use an emoticon when I'm joking.
  • AletheaAlethea Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"About the only thing that might be nice to see is the RPGamer 'updates' board separated into sections(sub-boards), so that it's easier to get to older updates in all sections (Finding a PoV or Eds thread from 2 weeks ago is not an easy task within the forums). [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

How about two separate sub-boards? One for news/media (my department) and interaction (ASV's department).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"One other thing. On my own forums, we have something called the 'Evil Oscars' where we all vote a certain person for 'X 'category.

Things like:
    Best debator
    Most likely to enslave the human race
    nicest person[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That's all fine and dandy for unofficial miscellaneous discussion, but how could it be official? Other than changing board member titles to reflect the awards, it seems silly to me. Plus, stuff like this might create an "elite" class of frequent posters or encourange/empower an existing class. I've seen this mess up other boards (including a FFXI board and a Christian board [which got so bad I had to quit]) by giving too much control of the board social structure to a few people and alienating the more casual posters. I'd hate to see that happen to RPGamer.
    edited July 2004
    Well by official I meant its not just some loosely organized affair. I meant that it is something taken seriously, with people actually voting, getting involved, maybe making a sticky thread or something. smile.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Oh, and while we're loosely on the subject, can I throw in a vote for both a change in the board's (maybe the entire site's) color scheme, and a redesign of the site's logo? I know FireMyst loves his red dragon, but that logo is so dated it's getting almost embarassing to look at. eh.gif I've always thought the crossed orange swords were particularily terrible... tounge.gif
    edited July 2004
    The dragon is something of a laughingstock. I have heard 'Look teh dragon is humping the sign' about a thousand times before in the rpg community.
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ July 01 2004,14:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, and while we're loosely on the subject, can I throw in a vote for both a change in the board's (maybe the entire site's) color scheme, and a redesign of the site's logo?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    *thumbs notebad of things for board changes* All of those are most certainly on the list smile.gif
    edited July 2004
    Alethea:

Sounds like a good idea.

Dracos
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I have to admit, I wouldn't mind seeing a more sophisticated logo either.

I tend to use the message boards and come in at the home page and check any new news that I find interesting. I cannot comment on much outside of the message boards of RPGamer.

As a reletive newbie to this board, and long-time member of some other boards, I have to say that I really dislike awards and such, because it really feels like a popularity contest. Those who post most and have the most friends on the board always win. If you are not a buddy or if you are new or if you are a less-frequest poster, they just make you feel alienated. Just my two cents.

I wouldn't mind seeing fewer discussion areas. I think the games are alright, although I do not play PC games or hand-helds so, my opinion there is biased towards console, FF and other gaming. If there are too few sections, then you need to wade through posts you are not interested in. I do not want to wade through posts on PC Baldur's Gate or Anacronax. Especially since the post titles are not always clear.

If you are tired of spam-posts like "yuk" or "I agree!" or "You are wrong %$#!!!" you can perhaps set a word minimum. This has been used on another board with fair effects.

One thing that drives me insane on this board is the number of interesting threads that are interrupted by a juvenile squabble. Can we not delete these? They are an interruption, and I really do not need to know why someone is an idiot. There is a difference between having a legitimate difference of opinion and just being obtuse.

Another suggestion I might add for board-leaders is to post some interesting questions in their respective moderation areas. Perhaps the FF mod can ask some interesting FF-related questions to generate discussion, for example.

Lastly, I think its slow because it is summer and most people are at the beach. laugh.gif
    edited July 2004
    Draak, the thing about deletion is it is highly perminant. We usually try to keep deletion as the last resort, especially in cases of argument. Imagine a thread where only the person dragged into the fight is going on and on.

We could SPLIT it, but the problem is right now...our boards lack that. We are currently working on patching a test board, and when we get that up and going it very well could be a new feature. If not, I plan on trying to find a "hack" that has it. Then we can do that.

We try to edit any fighting out, but sometimes it is a better alternative to publically warn. As with me, I tell all mods to warn in public, then if it warrents my action...tell me. I think that is better than deletion and pretending it didn't happen. Then people can see what not to do, and in case of disputes...they can see that our staff did warn the user, and they continued upon their actions as normal.

We have made the restrictions more of a posting hinderance, which seems to be proving to work on some users. Also, tougher rules, active mods, and clearer rules are helping us some. Hopefully, problems will be a thing of the past soon. At least, one can hope smile.gif
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I have a suggestion. ?I think posting spam topics, should be a suspendable offense, regardless of the forum it is posted in. ?I can't stand the things and I think a zero tolerance policy towards them should be instituted. ?They offer nothing of value and clutter up the boards. ?Their abundance is a huge turn off to me and I would like to see them gone.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited July 2004
    Seconding MonCaptain's suggestion most heartily.

Dracos
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Well I don't feel as strongly about it as Cap does, but everyone who's spent any amount of time on the forum probably knows I a big advocate against them. They don't help in any way.
    edited July 2004
    Wow, what a remarkably sad turnout this has gotten so far.

Dracos
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ July 05 2004,11:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Wow, what a remarkably sad turnout this has gotten so far.

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What is even most sad is this is all I figured would turn out.
  • PersonThingPersonThing Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I voted at least smile.gif

I went with a greater emphasis on gaming, because that's what RPGamer is about. I also have some ideas about spamming, but I'm saving them for the next poll, when they'll be more topical.
  • DragonsoulDragonsoul Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I think you should give it a little more time. After all, I only discovered the poll today. I voted and I am pleased that you (Cain) are making an effort to change the forum for the better.
  • SesshoumaruSesshoumaru Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I agree with LiQuid! the color scheme is outta date. Maybe a nice oak background would do nicely. lol just kidding. But as for the Logo I think it should be a contest in the fanart section. and the winner gets his or her logo used.