If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Board Changes...? v .02b28a

CainEJWCainEJW MemberFull Members
edited July 2004 in Site & Forum Support
First off, apologies for the lapse in time between last thread and this one.

With that said, this thread is more driven to what kind of FEATURES you'd like. Stuff like hacks, replies, more mod powers, etc.

So vote and discuss. You don't see much happening on this right now, as we're still waiting on our board patches to be completed. When they are, then the fun can begin smile.gif

Comments

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    About the only thing I'd care for is a search feature that isn't horribly broken. RPG-style stats I think should be absolutely discouraged. They're just a fancier postcount, and those caused problems and complaints.
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Board games would be fun if there were enough participants. That aside, I second Rico's suggestion about the search feature, it could use some fixing.

Also, the forums need more cowbell smile.gif
  • Zalbag BeoulveZalbag Beoulve Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"less mod powers[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I fixed your typo.
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Eh? Clairify please?
    edited July 2004
    ?.?.?.?That really needs explaining?

He thinks that there should be less moderation. That method of expressing things is quite common on many fora.
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Oh, alright. Less moderation I can understand, but if he literally meant less mod powers, then we wouldn't really be mods if we had anything less.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    biggrin.gif Wow. We have smileys without having a few hundred for them to get extremely obnoxious as they get on forums where they have a few hundred.

Other than that, rico's post pretty much sums it up. That search feature is totally useless as it stands.

Dracos
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Zalbag Beoulve @ July 18 2004,21:39)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"less mod powers[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I fixed your typo.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No. You didn't.

I thank you for your sarcastic reply, though. It will be put to as much use as sarcasm possibly can.

Guys, the "like this" part of the poll is a simple example to let you know what that means. That does not mean I plan on filling the place with smilies if that option wins. It means if that option is popular, I will look into post-oriented features like a quick reply form. It doesn't mean if fun stuff wins, you'll get RPG stats. It means if that wins, I'll be placing that on priority for looking whenever we get a new forum.
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    I vote fun things. As long as members aren't dillholes about it, VPC and/or RPG stats aren't a bad thing...
  • SevenStarSevenStar Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ July 19 2004,21:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I vote fun things. ?As long as members aren't dillholes about it, VPC and/or RPG stats aren't a bad thing...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Id have to disagree (unless you're being sarcy), when I "roamed" the Playstation forum they were like kids getting ecited about votes for funniest board member then you'd have everyone stick up for that member should he have a disagrement with a new dood, also you have ppl uneccessarily posting to boost their post count.

Vote:It'd be good if the search were improved somewhat and the odd pub quiz/games would be good

Edit: heh I didnt actually notice the dillholes part skim read it

• Options
    edited July 2004
    Did you miss the, 'As long as members aren't dillholes' part?
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (SevenStar @ July 19 2004,16:40)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ July 19 2004,21:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I vote fun things. ?As long as members aren't dillholes about it, VPC and/or RPG stats aren't a bad thing...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Id have to disagree (unless you're being sarcy), when I "roamed" the Playstation forum they were like kids getting ecited about votes for funniest board member then you'd have everyone stick up for that member should he have a disagrement with a new dood, also you have ppl uneccessarily posting to boost their post count.

Vote:It'd be good if the search were improved somewhat and the odd pub quiz/games would be good[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Every forum is going to have mmbers who don't know how to handle themselves..... and that's what moderators are around for. I would have to agree with Liquid that they can be fun other than the few members who want to ruin it for everyone else.

If the boards are run correctly then post counts should never become a problem in the first place. Quelling those who feel the need to post needless posts to raise their post counts and making sure favoritism doesn't happen (especially with the newer members). RPG Stats or even just basic post counts is a good way for newer members to know who to come to if they need help.

Forum-goers just need to learn to be more mature when it comes to posting. Not everyone has this problem but there are still many who just can't handle themselves and as i mentioned before, that's why forums have moderators.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • PersonThingPersonThing Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Some possible new features:

"Sticky" sigs and avatars. That is, when you change them, any posts made with the old ones will keep them. This would probably be hard to do since avatars and sig pics aren't hosted on the RPGamer server, and if the new one used the same file name, it'd change anyway.

The ability to jump by 5 or 10 pages in a long thread instead of just by ones or straight to the start or end would be nice.
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PersonThing @ July 19 2004,18:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The ability to jump by 5 or 10 pages in a long thread instead of just by ones or straight to the start or end would be nice.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    There is the ability to go 5 pages forward, if there are that many pages in the thread that is. Meaning if you click on a thread it'll come up as "<1 2 3 4 5>". So you already have that ability.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (madhtr @ July 19 2004,14:57)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Every forum is going to have mmbers who don't know how to handle themselves..... and that's what moderators are around for. I would have to agree with Liquid that they can be fun other than the few members who want to ruin it for everyone else.

If the boards are run correctly then post counts should never become a problem in the first place. Quelling those who feel the need to post needless posts to raise their post counts and making sure favoritism doesn't happen (especially with the newer members). RPG Stats or even just basic post counts is a good way for newer members to know who to come to if they need help.

Forum-goers just need to learn to be more mature when it comes to posting. Not everyone has this problem but there are still many who just can't handle themselves and as i mentioned before, that's why forums have moderators.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I suspect the logic behind the removed post counts goes quite simply: It's not that it was necessary to remove it. It was that those who you'd have to deal with later from posting rapidly for a high post count never have a reason to do so while it removes no notable benefit to those discussing things and utilizing the forum in the desired manner.

In other words, proactive analysis rather than reactive. It's the same obvious point against doing any rpglike stats or stuff, since they do have the potential to be abused and provide no benefit if the primary goal is facilitating active and intelligent discussion If the goal is something different, a playground for example (disclaimer: Don't laugh, that IS the goal at many forums) they provide a visible purpose.

Notably, you do seem to gesture in that direction, but you know, I've always found that five minutes perusing the boards when I enter a new area without fail reveals a half dozen members who, from the manner in which they present themselves, are obviously long term members. Ignoring the still existant post dates and the more obviously relevent and clearly marked moderators and staff as currently existing ways that already easily fulfill that 'need'.

Forums, notably, always need moderators. Even with an entirely mature population, moderators provide both leadership and example to the community as well as exist to improve the boards they moderate. Hard working moderators provide both alternative visions on the direction of a forum system as well as provide a more direct touch to the community.

Anyhow... Not to entirely soapbox here but...

quick post: I'm actually against this because I think the moment of reflection while the post screen loads is actually a good thing.

About the only thing I'd like to see is more involvement. Too much of the staff simply has their hands full with dealing with content for the site, including the admin Cain. There is a lot to be said for having people around who's work at the site is solely to improve and maintain a high quality forum. No, before we get into the hissy fits, I'm not implying those here can't do their job. I'm implying that in having some more staff dedicated entirely to this and being active and effective here, the experience of the forums would be improved. This is also a comment on the chatrooms as well. Saving the post and all, edscorner is dead and I'd say partially due to the fact there's no real support on the RPGamer side of things. No offense to the editorials crew, but I've only seen Joseph twice now in a couple of weeks. It's kind of important to have some staff overseeing those rooms and not simply as just a side 'yeah, you oversee a section, look for content, edit it, post it, do cleanup work, check over your forum section, etc etc.'

Hum. Perhaps this could be interpreted as simply a plea for a larger and more active staff. *shrugs*

Anyway, as stated earlier. I think changes directly to the interface level, aside from an improved search engine, would not really be much benefit and given the increasingly juvenile population that drops by, it would instead encourage an increase in those that stay around mixed with a decrease in the general board maturity level.

Dracos
    The long winded
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I'd like to see a quick reply form. ?I also think there should be a forum where guests could ask site related questions.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I would like more smilie options. You could even have people vote in 4-8 more popular ones perhaps.

Post-count is too easily abused. I have seen more spamming on boards with post-counts just to get a high number. (You also get threads like "Yay, I got 3000 posts!")

RPG stats aren't too bad though. Depends what they are though and how they are used. I don't want to see rewards for posting lots, and its kinda hard to reward "quality not quantity" posts.
    edited July 2004
    You mean like the RPGamer forum?
  • Lucid DreamerLucid Dreamer Banned Banned Users
    edited July 2004
    Loosen up on the swear filter, and loosen up in general. This forum is like a school, when it should be more like a playground. Let us have fun and be there if something goes wrong. Adam Smith wrote something along these ligns, but with economics.
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Dracos, you bring fine points. There will be a few more forum hirings in terms of our member mods soon and actual RPGamer staff will be scaled back some, I wanted to get a couple in to test it first.

Also, I plan on being quite active in forums in terms of content as soon as I can get things rolling on the update. To be 100% honest, it has stalled magnificantly. I was told it would be ready in a week...back in June.

There will be some activity from me personally, soon...just July has not been my month.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I have three things I want to mention. ?The first is to make sure that the spoiler tag is carried over onto the next board revision. ?The second is a request to increase the character limit. ?I think the limit should be increased from 15,360 characters to maybe 50,000 or 70,000 characters. ?If someone were writing a long extensive post on a debate the current character limit would be restrictive. ?My last request is to make sure there is more extensive morderation ?in the new boards. ?I don't want to see rule breakers get away with violating the rules.

EDIT

I just remembered to make another suggestion. I think staff members should be allowed to edit their own titles so long as that ability does not get abused.

LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Silky WaysSilky Ways Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PersonThing @ July 19 2004,01:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Some possible new features:

"Sticky" sigs and avatars. That is, when you change them, any posts made with the old ones will keep them. This would probably be hard to do since avatars and sig pics aren't hosted on the RPGamer server, and if the new one used the same file name, it'd change anyway.

The ability to jump by 5 or 10 pages in a long thread instead of just by ones or straight to the start or end would be nice.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Imagine loading an older page only to have half or more sigs/avatars displayed as those wonderful white red X-marked images Explorer uses.... What is worse, imagine moderators chasing after little kids to ask for removal or re-uploading of their sigs/avvys... Last, think of how many people sign up in here and never return... Now tell me that these forums will not look ugly if that rule is enforced...

I would like to see a feature where each member can place in his/her opinion their most successful post around the boards. It would help give a personal touch in member's profiles and it would also help others get an understanding of each member's way of interaction. Some people tend to assume everybody in here is 15 and ready to party...

Also, I would like to see links to members posting history. Sometimes it is needed and it could help moderators track down a member's overall behavior. I know you can do this through the search feature but it also givs out results of topics the member has posted in, not the link to the page where the member has posted. Now Imagine looking for a post through the "anyone dare to pst their picture" thread in the Misc forum for instance..They'd ned weeks to look through all the pages!
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ July 20 2004,19:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have three things I want to mention. The first is to make sure that the spoiler tag is carried over onto the next board revision. The second is a request to increase the character limit. I think the limit should be increased from 15,360 characters to maybe 50,000 or 70,000 characters. If someone were writing a long extensive post on a debate the current character limit would be restrictive.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I am the case in point for this request, and second it. I do not watch the character count when doing a detailed response to another's ideas and have several times overflowed two to three posts on it in the editorials board.

Dracos