If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Square Enix Polls Customers on Potential DS Ports

ShackShack MemberFull Members
edited August 2004 in Latest Updates
Smart business practice, or acute indecisiveness? Story's here.

Comments

• risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited July 2004
    all i know is that i would kill for Front Misson on the DS. man just think of the fun. laugh.gif
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Give me portable Chrono Trigger any day.
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Where's the original games checkbox? sarcasm.gif

Seriously though, if I had to pick, it'd be Seiken... Maybe the Hanjuku series, but only if I knew it was coming to the states.
  • XeroZoharXeroZohar Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Original games? What are those? I've never heard of this "Original" company... eh.gif
  • MasamuneMasamune Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I don't get it. Why port them on DS? The GBA is more than capable of handling them. And, believe it or not, the DS is backwards compatible. I don't want to see DS full of ports as soon as it gets out.
  • JCove2010JCove2010 Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Masamune @ July 29 2004,06:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't get it. Why port them on DS? The GBA is more than capable of handling them. And, believe it or not, the DS is backwards compatible. I don't want to see DS full of ports as soon as it gets out.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I would have to agree with this one, too many companies are only doing ports of old games these days. Some times this is a good thing but other times it's annoying, I've said it before and I'll say it again, we want NEW games not rehashed games. I own every Final Fantasty ever released in the US (accept for Mystic Quest, I'm not missing much here) because of the compilations that Square did a few years back.

However I would love to see Final Fantasy III (never released in the USA) but would prefer it to be on the PS2/XBX/GCN rather then a small screen portable.

• rudyxxrudyxx Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    man i'd make like millions of photocopies and put mario rpg in the other games box.
    momo_sig.jpg
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Masamune @ July 29 2004,09:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I don't get it. Why port them on DS? The GBA is more than capable of handling them. And, believe it or not, the DS is backwards compatible. I don't want to see DS full of ports as soon as it gets out.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, for one, the DS has the same button layout as the SNES, and most of the listed games are SNES games.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"man i'd make like millions of photocopies and put mario rpg in the other games box.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I would also love some SMRPG action, it being my second favorite SNES RPG, just behind Secret of Mana. But as for Enix games, bring over Star Ocean, and port me some Illusion of Gaia smile.gif
  • ElranzerElranzer Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Final Fantasy III is an option?!? Does this mean that they haven't abandoned the 16-bit remake of it afterall??
  • XadionXadion Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I would vote FF3, I loved ff2 both in translated rom and PSX version, I will get it again for GBA, I would not mind a portable version of 5, mostly so I can finaly beat it- got stuck in the burning forest area on the ps1 re-release of ff5 and never bothered to go back...I just suck at it heh.

And the "New" games are re-invisioned old games for the most part anywho, ff2 and ff4 share many things- ff 8 9 and 10 are all basicly (in essance) an attemped to make a love story work in a rpg setting yet keeping the action going...I have my crazy theory..but thats not for here!

- also I agree, make them GBA ports not DS...
    Bewbs...heh...heh
  • PuppetMasterPuppetMaster Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    yah, most of those games could be put onto GBA. and another thing, i dont see these games making any use of the 2 screens. but then again i dont think any game is gonna make very good use to 2 screens. i kinda think its a dumb idea.
  • Happy HoboHappy Hobo Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    But on the DS, you could play some 2 or 3 player SoM wirelessly. Then they could tweak the game so your second screen could be your menu, so you don't have to stop the action to cast spells or change weapons. But thats just my take on "what could be" ^^
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I would love to see what the wizards at Squenix can come up with for the DS. And honestly, it's about time the system started getting some attention. Sure, I haven't seen any launch titles being announced, but I still think it's a lot cooler than the PSP. Sure, it's 128 bits of pure handheld power, but the DS has so many awesometastic gameplay applications. Happy Hobo mentioned the menu on one screen for items and spells, and that's definitely a start. Maybe Star Ocean action wouldn't be stopped with a similar idea, or even a map on one screen. Plus, the Wi-Fi capability means a VS. mode for the remake. Power is no barrier for Nintendo to make great games or introduce good ideas. Super Mario 64 was a masterpiece. Paper Mario, another one. Mario Party and MP2 were great as well. The DS will definitely be the GAMING powerhouse. The PSP fans can have their UMDs and fancy graphics. I'll stick to a system which will keep me interested.

• AaediyenAaediyen Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Well, since they messed up the PSone port of Chrono Trigger, I'd probably pick that. Either that, or Secret of Mana. To my knowledge that has never been ported to anything. I could get into Final Fantasy 4 or 6 with updated sprites and graphics too. But, I'd like to see them make an original game after a while.

With the hot new design of the DS just shown the other day, and the talk of Square-Enix ports, I'm getting kind of hyped for this thing.
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (PuppetMaster @ July 29 2004,10:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"yah, most of those games could be put onto GBA. and another thing, i dont see these games making any use of the 2 screens. but then again i dont think any game is gonna make very good use to 2 screens. i kinda think its a dumb idea.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    that's why they have 4-6 all labeled together. they are gonna put 4&5 on 1 screen and 6 on the other one. laugh.gif
    momo_sig.jpg
  • chromegachromega Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    4&5 on one screen?? ROFLMAO and 6 on the other one??? laugh.gif laugh.gif...if that happens i'll cry LOL...but seriously i agree with puppetmaster on this one...i seriously doubt that two screens would be of any use for, not just Square-Enix games...but for game altogether...IMHO tho...
  • arzenal007arzenal007 New Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Well, they can do some improvements on the sprites and add animations in the battles... That would be a big plus. Either that or put more than one game on a cart. Otherwise, I don't see why wait for the DS to release them.

But I want FFIV, FFV and FFVI portable. And Chrono Trigger. And I can see good usage of the 2 screens. The menus and such could be used on the second screen while the rest is on another screen. They'll think of something
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    It sounds like a good business decision, and that's what really matters to these guys in the end.

So far, I see a lot of potential for disaster with the DS. It will have good games, but I haven't heard any good ideas for the second screen yet.
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"So far, I see a lot of potential for disaster with the DS. It will have good games, but I haven't heard any good ideas for the second screen yet.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I haven?t seen much reason why we would need a second screen either. I hope Nintendo comes up with some good ideas to back the 2-screen theme of their handheld. This is really the riskiest thing they have ever done in my eyes. They are potentially putting their handheld market on the betting table with the PSP releasing about the same time. Sure some great original games could come from this thing, but are developers willing to be original, and put in the effort and come up with new game ideas, maybe even new genres? Most devs these days want quick dollars.
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Well, let's not forget that it's still cheaper to make a cartridge-based game than one on a CD or a derivative of one. Moreover, the PSP will be more high-maintenance/delicate, what with the drive and all the chipsets inside. Plus carts don't scratch. It's therefore also more cost-effective to make a cart-based game too.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Crimson King @ July 29 2004,18:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, let's not forget that it's still cheaper to make a cartridge-based game than one on a CD or a derivative of one.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    What do you mean? Production costs of CDs are much lower than production costs of cartridges.
  • MasamuneMasamune Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I guess ONE advantage of being on DS instead of GBA is the (slim) possibility that they'd keep the FMV movies created for the PS1 versions.
  • MorridorMorridor Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Or, if they wanted to keep the PS1 FMV sequences and keep it on a Playstation system, they could easily put it on the PSP and satisfy a good amount of people. Some of the people who have the re-released versions for the PS1 don't have a Gameboy or Gamecube and they don't want to buy one, so why would they buy a DS. Some of the people would be loyal to Playstation and buy a PSP whereas they would never buy a DS. But if they were going to keep the FMV sequences, i'd see them re-releasing these games on the PSP instead, but since they are putting it on the DS, i'm guessing the sequences have been taken out.

Danny
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • theLegendtheLegend Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Too bad it's only square games on the list. Enix gets no respect.

I would write in Dragon Warrior V&VI if there was a chance of it getting localized.
  • TheTykeTheTyke Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    No one wants the Chocobo games??

/shocked
    /laugh
    edited July 2004
    I wonder how much memory those movies take up. Even if they wanted to, I'm not sure they would even fit. But they probably would seeing as how the actual game isn't very big at all.

DS carts actually don't really pack a lot of memory in them. The largest DS cart currently mentioned is 128MB. But, they are hearty and durable, and they can stand a beating. But you all knew that. And unlike turning a disc, it takes very little power.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Well, that means they could easily fit Vagrant Story.

Ew.
  • gfpaperboy22gfpaperboy22 Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    I know I can get at least 6 minutes of good quality .AVI movies on my 256Mb(64 MB). Now I know nintendo can put out a 1 Gb(500MB) card so they could easliy get the FMV's on there. Plus the Carts will completely kill the PS1's imfamous load times.
    edited July 2004
    i think nintendo has come up with a lot of good ideas for the 2 screens. Then again I actually have played some of the developer demo's >.>
    momo_sig.jpg
    edited July 2004
    What was the most inovative one? How well did it work?