The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Arcanum

TheFoxTheFox MemberFull Members
edited May 2004 in Role Playing Games
Has anyone played this game? I picked it up re-released on budget the other day for the princely sum of five pounds and I have to say I was pleasenlty surprised.

Just wondered if anyone else had played it.

I think the Steampunk pseudo-Victorian setting is fantastic. Are there any other games that use this setting?

Comments

• peloipeloi Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I have had this game since release, i just came to it, i have car mod installed, playing dum ogre, lol.
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Arcanum's right up there with Planescape and Fallout for my favoritest RPG ever. ?I'm also fond of the steampunk setting and the mix of magic/tech, and the plot's one of the best I've seen in any story-telling medium to date. ?It's also nice to hear voice actors who can act.

Graphically and gameplay-wise, it's not out to win any awards, but IMO it makes up for it with the sheer depth of roleplay and the world itself. ?And any game that lets the player torch an entire city with mechanical horrors gets bonus points in my book smile.gif

I must also say that replay increases exponentially once you learn how to make your own character backgrounds.
  • bebop007bebop007 Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I absolutely loved this game. The ability to make my own guns, armor and healing items was just too cool.
    \"We're about to stage an attack on technology worthy of being chronicled in an anthem by Rush!\"
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Arcanum is interesting. I do like it quite a bit, though I think it has some serious balance issues. The setting is about as uncommon as you get in an rpg. The characters, though not quite up to Torment's level, are plentiful and generally more interesting then say, Fallout 2's, in that they don't become near completely lifeless zombies when they join your party. There's even some interaction between them, which is always nice. And I really, really hope future pc rpgs steal the training idea, since that was a stroke of sheer genius.

Just wish they had balanced things better between melee and missile and between tech and magic. A dwarven gunman will have plenty of trouble, a dwarven axeman will do better, while a human swordsman w time magic will bowl over everything.

But you know what the best part of Arcanum was? It's cheap. Given it's low cost, it's got boatloads of bang for your buck.
  • MageoftheSandsMageoftheSands Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    I love Arcanum. Except that it didn't run on my computer. I need to buy it again.

It was rereleased? Where?
  • peloipeloi Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    On budget, in the uk it ?5, i couldn't run at first but upgraded directx, works fine now, been playing it on off since it was first release.

You find it on Ebay as well, my friend got his for ?3.
  • CybsledCybsled Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    As far as I know it was never rereleased in the US. The last time I remember seeing it on shelves was upwards of two years ago, not counting any used copies.

You're only hope is if the developer decided to release a holiday pack that included an assortment of their games.

On the other hand, UK PC software works just fine on US PCs (because it's pretty much the same save for their goofy spelling ;P), so feel free to "import" heh ;P
    edited March 2004
    Oh, I could do that. But the EU versions are different. I remember the Kid fiasco of Baldur's Gate and Fallout. EU people would be complaining why invisable kids are stealing from them.
  • ff7799ff7799 New Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    lol
  • edited April 2004
    Ah Arcanum. Been a long time since i played that. All i seem to remember from that is having a ridiculously powerful spell that seemed to disintegrate things with no effort whatsoever. Was a good game tho. Albeit very one sided towards sum characer types than others.

Harsayis
    edited April 2004
    Yeah, it was skewed to melee, then casters, then archers, and then techno. Hey, it's not like it's easy to balance something that open ended.

Note: That list was ease of playing, not power.
  • GrislingGrisling New Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    This game was so frustrating for me! ?I LOVED the setting; the whole industrial age w/ magic aesthetic was great!

But I found the gameplay boring and the graphics mediocre. ?So much wasted potential!

An excellent concept gone awry.

• Locke_ColeLocke_Cole New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    i really like this game
  • Absolutely AtheistAbsolutely Atheist New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    All your base are belong to Arcanum.

I loved thyis game. The story was deep, reflective of how you played, and full of twists and turns. It played out like an interactive novel and despite horrid graphics and poor quality voice acting, the game was worth playing again and again. You never know what will happen the second time through, or the third, or the fourth. You can damn the world literally, and see the carnage left in your wake, not just with some stupid alignment meter and a few missing npcs. You can be a noble hero or a wild ranger, play a role and stick with it and there's no telling where you'll find yourself. Anyone who dislikes reading may dislike this game, but anyone with three IQ points to rub togeather has to admire how a nonliner, open ended game could have such an innovative story and great character development.
  • Absolutely AtheistAbsolutely Atheist New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    And may I add, since I clearly failed to do so at first, that you can complete Arcanum without ever fighting anyone directly. There are many ways to play, and you CAN be a complete and total pacifist using wits and words to get past mostcombat situations, and using your more powerful friends to pass others. I know some argue the game has balancing issues, I would argue otherwise. It's all about the role you play, no character will and can be able to do everything, pick what you want and go for it. I had a very diplomatic palidan with white necromancy and melee, I spent most of the game talking my way out of fights and doing good deeds, I stole the jewel of heeb and the caladon chain armor and used them for my charm and leadership skills (being of an educator background) but aside from that was pretty good all around. Note by the way there are over 20 endings, what you do in the game will effect the end majorly.

By the way, you can use some backgrounds to make some very unique characters, like "sickly" to beef a half ogres int and make him a decent repeating rifle using tank. This way you can make yourself some large armor, tech yourself, and blow away anything that gets in your path. My point in noting this is that you can play as an intelligent ogre and be a right decent diplomat, or be a savage brute of a beast if you wish, it's all up to you.

By the way if you want another game, sort of like Arcanum, I would say try Fallout 2. It's got the open endedness, the fun factor, and the character development down pat too.