If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The GBA-Castlevania-series!

ChromotriggerChromotrigger MemberFull Members
edited May 2004 in Role Playing Games
The three Caslevania games released for the Game Boy Advance are parts of the original series, and fit in with the storyline. But the gameplay is a bit different, and that makes these three games unique.

I personally love the GBA-Castlevania-games, but what do you think about them, and which one is you favorite?

Comments

• RomeasRomeas Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I enjoyed all of the Castlevania games on the GBA, as I have all 2D Castlevania games. I would say that my favorite was Aria of Sorrow, though.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I've reviewd all three on this site, but I'll give a quick summary.

CotM -> It had potential, but could've been far better executed. Also, ever since SotN, I've had problems with returning to the whip tounge.gif

HoD -> This game is a joke. It's a shame that this goes under the name of Castlevania, as it's the worst installment in the series, by far.

AoS -> Not my favorite in the series, but definitely my favorite among the GBA Castlevanias. The soul system was refreshing, and there were more characters/plot events this time.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    CotM - Challenging. I didn't like it though. The DSS was essentially the only variety you got in the game, and you could only use 1 pair at a time, and they all drained your MP to boot. It annoyed me to no end that I had plenty of attacks, but they all ran from the same limited battery. Liked it the least of the three.

HoD - Well, it didn't have the DSS, which was good. And it had equipment, which was almost good. What wasn't good was that the only weapon you got was the whip, and the only powerups you got for it were balls to put at the end. That might've been acceptable in the NES days, but Simon's Quest level non-variety isn't acceptable now.

AoS - This game would be the best in the entire castlevania series if SotN didn't exist. It's far far better then the other two GBA offerings, primarily because you aren't stuck with the whip the whole game. Soma's got plenty of moves and a good variety of weapons, and the story is interesting - even if the 'modern' setting is a bad joke. It's inferior to Sotn - but that's unsuprising, considering the SotN was on a cd-based system which had more then 6 buttons. I'd highly recommend it.
  • Options
    edited February 2004
    I've heard people argue for all three of these games. I personally love all of them. Each one brought something new and different with it, and I don't think any of them took a step backwards. HoD gets a lot of crap, but I thought it was still really damn fun, and Maxim is my favorite unlockable from the Castlevania series (triple jump - drool!). I think Aria is my favorite, not so much because of how strongly it resembles SotN, but just because of how much more fluidly it plays compared to the former 2 offerings.

I'm a little against all the varying weapons available in SotN and AoS (contrary to popular opinion, I know). I think they add a good variety to the gameplay, but they take away from what makes Castlevania Castlevania. I'm still waiting for Konami to make a fluid and fast paced whip combat system to go along with a Castlevania game. Lament on PS2 is about as close as they've gotten to fast paced whip combat if you ask me. Though I would love to see something like that implemented into a 2D game (or a better 3D game).

I'm not getting my hopes up, cause the chances of it happening are very slim, but I'm really really hoping they announce another GBA Castlevania sometime this year (E3, TGS, whatever). It would really suck if they made such great progress with these 3 games and then just stopped the series on the system. Oh well at least Metroid Zero Mission is almost out. That should tide me over for a while. laugh.gif
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    Love the 3 of 'em. In order, AoS>CotM>HoD.

I prefer AoS than SotN btw.
    HoD was great, but I have to admit that the music is simply craptacular.

Anyways, still waiting for a Castlevania better than CV3 and Rondo of Blood.
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I loved Aria of Sorrow and Harmony of Dissonance, but I didn't liked Circle of the Moon so much. I found it very boring and slow. Now Aria of Sorrow is my favorite of the three. The soul system was really well-though, and permited a good customization.
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • Athena AsamiyaAthena Asamiya New Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    I don't see why so many people seem to put down HoD .. that was my favorite one of the GBA Castlevania games. I didn't like CoM though. There was alot of areas in that game, but the control was awkward and the music was rehashed, and I didn't like the look of it.

Maybe I just like running through psychodelic rooms whipping things madly.

I liked collecting souls in the other game too, obviously that has an appeal to it too.
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited March 2004
    Yeah i love these games. Great stuff. Im currently trying to track down a new copy of Harmony of Dissonance but its proving to be quite hard. But yeah Aria of sorrow is fantastic. The soul collecting is like pokemon. i gota catch them all.
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (risingsun @ Mar. 10 2004,00:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Im currently trying to track down a new copy of Harmony of Dissonance but its proving to be quite hard.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You can have my copy for a sixpack of coke, because that's pretty much what it's worth anyway tounge.gif
  • risingsunrisingsun - Fancy Title - Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Mar. 09 2004,16:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (risingsun @ Mar. 10 2004,00:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Im currently trying to track down a new copy of Harmony of Dissonance but its proving to be quite hard.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You can have my copy for a sixpack of coke, because that's pretty much what it's worth anyway ?tounge.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    hey man if your serious i got some heinekens right here. not quite coke but still good.
    Seriously i manged to track down a brand new copy and so far im not dissapointed. not bad, not bad.
  • DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited March 2004
    This would be the part where I said something, but LiQuid! already said everything worth saying on the matter.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"HoD -> This game is a joke. It's a shame that this goes under the name of Castlevania, as it's the worst installment in the series, by far.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Try Castlevania Adventure (original GB) , my introduction to the series. My first two Castlevania's were that and Bloodlines. I must say, I wondered why everyone liked Castlevania so much. Then I found a copy of Symphony of the Night in a Sam's Club. I'd heard it was great, but I'd given up hope of finding a copy. I played it (with some help from a FAQ) and understood why Castlevania was popular. I later got all three GBA games. Though Harmony was nigh impossible to find. I looked in basically every store in my area and finally gave up. The next day, I was going to a concert and my mom wanted to do some clothes shopping in an outlet mall near our destination. Of course, I managed to find a sole copy of it in a music store...

That said, I still haven't beaten it, as it's a very confusing game. I haven't beaten Circle either, as the final boss is a real pain and tends to spend half his time offscreen.
    edited March 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (keele864 @ Mar. 17 2004,23:53)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Try Castlevania Adventure (original GB)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I own it... I've had it for like 12-13 years, my second Castlevania tounge.gif I liked it, though... seems like you didn't. Oh well.
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited March 2004
    The general opinion is that Adventure is terrible... Then again, we all have our different opinions. I haven't played the game for years, so I can only judge by my memories.
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    :eh:I personally thought all of the games were rather good.
    However, the reviews briefly are below.

CotM: Fairly good game, however, lack of light(too dull) turned most gamers off. But the quality of sound, or at least to me was rather good.

HoD: ?Well, no lamp needed anymore, but what..? That's it? ?HoD was remarkably refreshing and a good game in itself, but by its short gameplay time, it was disgraceful to Castlevania.

AoS: ?There was hardly anything wrong with this game at all, however, the game could have used a little deeper plot, but that is not what CV is for. It's for Gameplay, this reminded so much of SotN, and dare I say it is SotN portable? ?

In the end, I believe we all agree that SotN and CastleVania III are the best games of the series.
    And the only game that would beat SotN is possibly a port of SotN to any system or maybe Lament of Innocence, I enjoyed the game.. @_@
    Don't kill me fellow fans><;;;;
  • entropic_soulentropic_soul Member Full Members
    edited April 2004
    I've been a big fan of Castlevania since the first one on the NES so I have to say that I like all 3. (I still want to play Chronicles on PSX just for the sake of that!)

Anyone find it interesting that the out of the all the Castlevania games, the games that are generally considered the best (AoS, SotN & CIII) had Alucard in them?

Are you listening Konami?!
  • ZelgodesZelgodes A Mastermind!? Full Members
    edited May 2004
    AoS kind of didn't have much of Alucard in it. "<span class="spoiler">For those of you who don't know, Genya Arikado was meant to be Alucard</span>". I don't really think that one counts much. Or maybe it's a subliminal thing. Just maybe... SMOKE BOMB!!!
  • Delita81Delita81 New Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    all of them are well done I like circle of the moon but, i hate harmony it was rushed and unpolished but, Castlevania SOTN definitely the best castlevania game of it series
  • FF ShinobiFF Shinobi Member Full Members
    edited May 2004
    I like making "costumes" for Soma in AoS. Like fire mage, or fencer.

(ex fencer)

Rapier

coton clothes

Any acess.

Any atack spell

Witch (blocks attacks)

I've also dond charicters like sephiroth, cloud, dracula, Son Goku..

Its fun to try to play as something different. biggrin.gif