The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

Mario and the greeny guy

2»

Comments

• SoupDuckSoupDuck Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    The only playable characters are Mario and Luigi, but there are a bunch of Yoshi's in the game, and Geno even makes a cameo (Didn't put that in spoilers b/b it really has nothing to do with the story). So yeah, there are a bunch of old characters making cameos.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    ...but none of that saves the game from its repetitive gameplay. I think Nintendo, or whichever developer, tried too hard.

• VermillionVermillion Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Growlanser @ Feb. 04 2004,19:15)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"...but none of that saves the game from its repetitive gameplay. I think Nintendo, or whichever developer, tried too hard.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Repetitive gameplay in a 40+ hour RPG may be a bad thing, but M&L's 20 hour story is just short enough to keep the simplicity from getting to you.

If anything, M&L's battle-system frees you from repetitively mashing "attack" in battles, it frees you from simply pressing a button to execute monster attacks, and it keeps you focused on the action. If anything, M&L's few innovations are designed to keep the RPG genres most repetitive aspects, random battles, involving and fresh.

Though I agree, the overworld and adventure puzzles are nothing to gawk about.

Carmine M. Red
    Kairon@aol.com
  • SoupDuckSoupDuck Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    While some of the platform puzzles, such as the mirrors in the university, did tend to drag out a bit, I thought the fantastic battles more than made up for it.
  • GrowlanserGrowlanser Member Full Members
    edited February 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Repetitive gameplay in a 40+ hour RPG may be a bad thing, but M&L's 20 hour story is just short enough to keep the simplicity from getting to you.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Sure seems like 40+ hours! I bought this game 2 weeks ago and I'm not even halfway!