If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

You gotta see this

SeverenceSeverence MemberFull Members
edited October 2004 in Miscellaneous
This website is for real, as is the group who owns it. That being said, I would like to state that this is, without a doubt, one of the funniest things I have ever seen. Ever.

Ladies and gentlemen, behold.

Comments

• Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    *blinks*

I have no idea what to think of that.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited September 2004
    Oh dearie me...

Some people are so, 1850's or something...
    93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • SupraDarkySupraDarky Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    They believe Australia doesn't exist.
  • SeverenceSeverence Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    Not just Australia, Darky. Idaho and North Dakota too.

I, for one, am relieved to hear the United States has 2 gigantic, gaping holes of void, both of which I have flown over/through. That's 2 less state capitals I need to remember. /sarcasm off
  • edited September 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"19. What is the "Springfield Effect"?
    The Springfield Effect is the name given to the phenomenon by which every place named Springfield is hard-linked in hyperspace to every other place of this name. In other words, there is only one place named Springfield, but it is "linked" to various locations in the world.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Uhm. I'm not about to go do any research on this nonsense, but there can't be all that many Springfields outside North America... This is so obviously a joke website. If they're so convinced that Australia doesn't exist, how in the hell were they able to register their domain from Melbourne?
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Domain ID:D25900-LROR
    Domain Name:FLAT-EARTH.ORG
    Created On:23-May-1996 04:00:00 UTC
    Last Updated On:24-May-2004 07:43:21 UTC
    Expiration Date:24-May-2005 04:00:00 UTC
    Sponsoring Registrar:Domain Bank Inc. (R28-LROR)
    Registrant ID:pqzvzc0206049262
    Registrant Name:The Flat Earth Society
    Registrant Organization:
    Registrant Street1:PO Box 4276
    Registrant Street2:
    Registrant Street3:
    Registrant City:Melbourne University PO
    Registrant State/Province:VIC
    Registrant Postal Code:3052
    Registrant Country:AU
    Registrant Phone:+61.407832768
    Registrant Phone Ext.:
    Registrant FAX:
    Registrant FAX Ext.:
    Registrant Email:acb@SPAMCOP.NET
    Admin ID:ezzxnn0401256555
    Admin Name:Andrew Bulhak[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Absolutely retarded.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    Oh come on.

If we're going to be linking [smurf!] insane type writings, starting off with anything but www.timecube.com is a crime! =P

Dracos
    Intentionally not hyperlinked.

Staff edit: Heh, watch the language please.

• SpoonybrdSpoonybrd New Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    I stumbled across that website quite some time ago. It provided a couple minutes of humorous entertainment.

Hey, "The Flat Earth Society" was a 60s Psychedelic band, too!
    Flat%20Earth%20Society%20-%20Waleeco.JPG
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    Let's assume that these guys were serious.

Humanity has been proven wrong a million times before. Theories that have been laughed at and considered "retarded" have turned into the obvious truth. While this may not be the perfect example, it's really guys like these who'll come out one day and say "in your face". ?tounge.gif

From my point of view, these guys aren't any different than people who believe in god...

...or like diet coke.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • JochieJochie Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    Well, I think it's pretty obviously a joke, but I do like that Existential Negation Campaign. It's fun to put funny stickers on things.
  • T.G. CidT.G. Cid Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    I found this site a while ago, and upon thinking that no one could be so stupid, I looked up other sites on it to see if it's an actual group. It is. I found an interview with the chairman of it or something a long time ago too, as well as their map of Earth. sarcasm.gif

For what it's worth, they also believe that the moon is only 4000 miles away from Earth.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited September 2004
    I am sad to say that the site is no joke. I have heard of the people who run it and they are indeed serious about the claim they make. They are a good example of why I think people should be required to have a license to procreate.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    What's the difference between this and believing in god and/or the bible? From my point of view, it's the exact same thing.

And don't give me the "because OMFG <this and that> has been proven since long and it's SO obvious that that's how it is!!", because that's pretty much what everyone's been saying for hundreds of years, for every new theory.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • edited October 2004
    eh.gif
  • KarlinnKarlinn Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Sep. 30 2004,02:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"What's the difference between this and believing in god and/or the bible? From my point of view, it's the exact same thing.

And don't give me the "because OMFG <this and that> has been proven since long and it's SO obvious that that's how it is!!", because that's pretty much what everyone's been saying for hundreds of years, for every new theory.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    How about "religions centered around the bible, as a general rule, don't openly advocate things which have been thoroughly disproven, I.E., that waterfalls line the edges of the earth and certain countries don't exist?"

C'mon. You can distinguish between leaps of faith in things that haven't been proven (and possibly can't be), and beliefs in blatant falsehoods.
  • captainzolicaptainzoli Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Whether this site is a joke or not, I know there are a large amount of groups that are very serious in their beliefs, but are just as nuts. ?They advocate everything from the earth being flat to NASA faking the moon landing. ?There was one group a few years ago that said the earth was a gaint cylinder, and it was a distorting of the light reflecting off the atmosphere that make it look spherical from space. ?There was another group that not only believe the world is flat, but that it is going to be destroyed soon and says it is building it's own spaceships to flee the planet before doomsday. ?I guess the moral of this story is, that if you can make it up, there is someone out there that will believe it, and you can start your own group of wackos. smile.gif

• SinSin Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Beneath the Earth, or hanging off the edges, is a land populated by either green-skinned women or Nazis.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And I've never seen a green-skinned woman...
    Walken1.jpg
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited October 2004
    What about catalogue of the Orion slave girls I sent you? Do they not count?
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Telvanni Wizard LordTelvanni Wizard Lord Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    There is something I should really say at this point, and its something you will have trouble believing (as I did at first) because it goes against everything you where thought as a child but here it is. NO ONE EVER BELEVED THE WORLD WAS FLAT!!! It?s a complete myth created by Washington Irving in his biography of Columbus! Really it?s completely true, the Church never believed the world was flat, they believed it was the center of the universe but they never believed it was flat. According to the Church the universe was made up of spheres, 7 spheres of heaven 7 spheres of hell, and sandwiched in the middle the SPHERE of earth! If you look at old maps from the 14th or 15th century you will often see a image of god and in his hand he is holding a globe, the globe of earth.

Sailors certainly never believed the world was flat for the simple reason that when you are at sea you can actually see the curvature of the earth.

It amazing to think that something we take as common knowledge could turn out to be so totally untrue.

• Holy DragoonHoly Dragoon Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    As a Montanan, I WISH Idaho and North Dakota didn't exsist...
  • TheDrunkenGamerTheDrunkenGamer Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Wow... kinda makes me wish I had oodles of free time on my hands so I could make up silly web sites.

...no really, I do! biggrin.gif