If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Shin Megami Tensai review?

StomStom MemberFull Members
edited November 2004 in Site & Forum Support
Hey, nobody ever came online that could answer this, so I'm just asking here. Is there an ETA on a Shin Megami Tensai: Nocturne review? I've been hearing really good things about it, and I want you bums' opinion on it before I go off wasting any time on it. tounge.gif

Comments

• Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    No Idea, but you can probably get a fari number of informal reviews from the people here.

Me?

So far I would give it 8/10 myself. (4/5 for this site sarcasm.gif )

Good

- Demon system is fun and deep. Endless allies to recruit, evolve and merge together. Gotta catch em all! (Urgh... not M-rated POKEMON!!! wow.gif )

- Battles are fun and require some strategy, so its not always mash the attack button

- Story is really gripping so far

- Graphics are really lush and beautiful to look at.

Bad

- Save points are damn rare. I sometimes play hours longer than I wanted to (hey gotta get some sleep for work) because I couldn`t find a damn save point.

- Having mutiple encounters can be mean. Sometimes as soon as you defeat one set of enemies, another set will appear (without even leaving the battle screen). I got whacked when I had this happen 4 times in a row without a break. sad.gif

- Some animatations get tedious and are unskippable - such as the save animation and the Demon Fusion animation.

- Some might say the lack of voice acting is bad, but it does not bother me.
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    Unlike the big commercial sites like IGN, Gamespot, and well pretty much every other video game website, RPGamer staff reviews games paid for with money out of their own pockets. They don't get advanced review copies. That means that they don't get their games until the public street date or later. A week simply isn't long enough to play through an entire game and write out a full review for one. That is assuming someone at RPGamer is even playing the game presently. I guess they would have to be the ones to answer that for you.
  • StomStom Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Liquid, you do realize that I am retired staff and helped run RPGamer for over three years, right?
  • Options
    edited October 2004
    Well now that you've pointed it out it would seem pretty clear wouldn't it...

Sorry I don't pay much attention to text sigs. Especially ones of the horn tooting variety...
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    It's coming, I may need to beat a certain person into doing it, but it should be up next week or so.
  • KenshinKenshin Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gouden Draak @ Oct. 20 2004,19:26)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"No Idea, but you can probably get a fari number of informal reviews from the people here.

Me?

So far I would give it 8/10 myself. (4/5 for this site ?sarcasm.gif )

Good

- Demon system is fun and deep. Endless allies to recruit, evolve and merge together. Gotta catch em all! (Urgh... not M-rated POKEMON!!! ?wow.gif )

- Battles are fun and require some strategy, so its not always mash the attack button

- Story is really gripping so far

- Graphics are really lush and beautiful to look at.

Bad

- Save points are damn rare. I sometimes play hours longer than I wanted to (hey gotta get some sleep for work) because I couldn`t find a damn save point.

- Having mutiple encounters can be mean. Sometimes as soon as you defeat one set of enemies, another set will appear (without even leaving the battle screen). I got whacked when I had this happen 4 times in a row without a break. ?sad.gif

- Some animatations get tedious and are unskippable - such as the save animation and the Demon Fusion animation.

- Some might say the lack of voice acting is bad, but it does not bother me.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well I have no idea how you can have a problem finding a save point soz man but you must be blind or something they are all over the place there is heaps of them!! There is no shortage at all.

The multiple encounters are very mean but unique and I think it's awesome! This game offers a challenge that no RPG has for many years, if you don't manage your party of demons properly or you have the wrong kind of magatama equipped in an area then you will get owned even by weaker enemies.

I have had up to like 5 consecutive lots of enemies during the one battle but luckily I had just gone to the save point and also healed myself so it wasn't a problem. Usually you only get more than 2 consecutive encounters when it's a full kagutsuhi or you have increased encounter rate on (Try both for a challenge wink.gif )

Some people rate the game bad because of the challenge it offers but that's only because it simply requires you to think! most of the bosses that woop ur ass actually have a fairly easy strategy to beat them so don't just give up because ur party is getting owned maybe try switching it around a bit.

I agree that the save animation is kind of pointless and annoying although it's only like 2seconds long so it doesn't bother me at all. I'm able to skip the demon fusion animation so I don't know why you can't...

The lack of voice acting is purely up to your own opinion but I didn't mind it at all it doesn't subtract at all from the game and properly saved it from poor voice acting...

The music in the game is @%%#$; awesome! It suits it well and I recon its da bomb! *hugs his sound track CD*

To Storm, you should definitely buy this game it would in no way be a waste of your time or money unless you don't like a challenge and it can be fairly challenging later on in the game or depending on what demons you have with you so be prepared for that.
  • chromegachromega Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well I have no idea how you can have a problem finding a save point soz man but you must be blind or something they are all over the place there is heaps of them!! There is no shortage at all.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Yea i'm going to have to agree with you on this. There are save points in almost every floor and section of each dungeon and in every city. The sound track is absolutely amazing, especially METATRON and Dante Battle. As for the animatics that are unskippable, the only one that's one skippable is the one right after you save at the cylinder. The one for fusing demons you can skip by pressing any button. There are tons of demons to recruit even early on in the game which is sweet! THis game is a must buy, no matter what. It gets a 5/5 from me....woohoo!
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    Well, in the early game, there was no save point after Forteus, no save point in Yoyogi square and I went down the wrong path for the save point in Shibuya. So, yeah, I went bonkers there.

Also, please note that I have played a LOT more since that post!

Save animation is still annoying, but I can skip the demon fusion one now (I was hitting the wrong button - damn Square! tounge.gif)

I had trouble with multiple encounters in the beginning stages of the game. Later, you have more specialization, and I was able to have a strong party to meet these attacks, rather than the weak one available at the beginning of the game.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited November 2004
    I'm well into my second run of it by now. Simply put, it's the best in the main series IMO.

I may even start a new review spree starting with this game.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.