If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Suggestions for the boards

PersonThingPersonThing MemberFull Members
edited May 2005 in Site & Forum Support
Just a few things it'd be nice to have, in no particular order.

1) Ability to set how many topics/posts per page a person sees.

2) Ability to set defaults for the sort options. This would be easier to do globally but be more useful on a per-section basis.

3) Sometimes when I come to check the boards it won't properly update which threads are new, even if I do a refresh. I still see threads that haven't been updated since my last visit marked as new. Any actual new/updated threads are properly marked, so if it's a cache issue it's an odd one.

Comments

• madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    Thank you for your ideas. I'm sorry i didn't reply earlier, i was just now pointed to this thread. ^^;; Anyway, we will look into your ideas when we upgrade the boards. If you, or anyone else for that matter, has any ideas then feel free to post them here.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SilentwolfSilentwolf Only Silence Full Members
    edited December 2004
    I know that it was previously removed because it was just taking up space, but I would really like it if you guys could bring back the Role Playing Section. I miss it sorely, it was one of my favorites. I can understand why you removed it, but if you bring it back then I'm sure we can keep it active.

I mean, removing it takes the Rp from RPGamer, no?

Every sailor knows the tale
    of those becalmed at sea
    though at peace they can be found
    at peace they never be.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Silentwolf @ Dec. 09 2004,07:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I mean, removing it takes the Rp from RPGamer, no?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No.
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    After seeing the type of newbie this place has been drawing over the last year, I say move the minimum post requirement to start a new thread to somewhere in the hundreds.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    Inevitably such would stagnate the board to death.

Occassionally, good folks do show up and if they can't add threads until they are here for months, they'll likely go somewhere they can discuss stuff.

Dracos
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited December 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ Dec. 18 2004,19:11)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"After seeing the type of newbie this place has been drawing over the last year, I say move the minimum post requirement to start a new thread to somewhere in the hundreds.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I think that is a bit excessive. I think 50 posts would be a better number.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    I think that would lead to spam-fest as newbies try raise their post counts quickly so they can post a thread...
  • mikedmiked New Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    Indeed, Gouden Draak. Being a newbie, my opinion on post requirements is biased. Of course I actually AM in favor of a higher number. How does 15 sound? It's near reasonable in my opinion. If you want more(which I definitely do not) you could try 20. It is a tad intimidating to aspiring members though.
  • PlayerOnePlayerOne Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    Well there were things I wanted to ask when I joined, that was the reason I joined. I sneaked one into another thread wink.gif, but I've forgotten what most of them were now I am a full Member. smile.gif

On the other hand, if it discourages the kind of idiots that often show up elsewhere, then I am in favour of the new thread restriction. I think it is pitched about right at the moment. Upping the post limit would not deter someone who is spamming their way to Membership, but would deter someone who is waiting for worthwhile threads to appear. The only other option would be a combined post count and time limit (no new threads within a week of joining).
    edited January 2005
    Time limits, in my experience with forums, are pretty solid obliteraters of casual newcomers.

So I don't believe we'll ever see them here.

Dracos
    edited January 2005
    10 seems a serviceable enough number to me. 10 worthwhile posts can easily be made within an hour by someone who wants to be a part of the community and who scopes it out even a little bit beforehand. 10 spam posts are recognizable enough that moderation and administrative action can happen easily, but aren't as disruptive as 20 or 50. People whose posting style and content you dislike aren't too much more likely to change after 20 or 50 posts than 10.
  • gregmightgregmight Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    10's an alright number, I'd personally prefer 5.

I don't know if this board is capable of it, but another board did allow posts from people with less than 5 posts, but it forced them to be approved by the moderator before display.

But in my opinion, I don't quite see why it's important, since we get threads like "what's your favorite ff babe" all the time anyway tounge.gif

Oh yeah, and my main suggestion: Have the front page link directly to the boards, not that disclaimer stuff. Honestly, I only need to read that once when I join, anything else is just ridiculum.
    edited January 2005
    Personally, I think they should keep the disclaimer. They should also post the rules in the boards themselves.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh yeah, and my main suggestion: Have the front page link directly to the boards, not that disclaimer stuff. Honestly, I only need to read that once when I join, anything else is just ridiculum.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Just bookmark the boards themselves, that'll take care of that.
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (gregmight @ Jan. 15 2005,12:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"10's an alright number, I'd personally prefer 5.

I don't know if this board is capable of it, but another board did allow posts from people with less than 5 posts, but it forced them to be approved by the moderator before display.

But in my opinion, I don't quite see why it's important, since we get threads like "what's your favorite ff babe" all the time anyway tounge.gif

Oh yeah, and my main suggestion: Have the front page link directly to the boards, not that disclaimer stuff. Honestly, I only need to read that once when I join, anything else is just ridiculum.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    A good system of forum managment generally is one that achieves the goals set out for it without undully burdening the administrative staff with work.

There's been nearly 6000 members here. That would, in other words, require approving 30000 messages individually by the admins had it been in place from the beginning. On a tiny board that might work, here it would certainly lead to frustrating on both ends of the spectrum.

Dracos
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ Jan. 15 2005,14:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Personally, I think they should keep the disclaimer. They should also post the rules in the boards themselves.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree. A rules link in the board header (Search, members, help, rules) would not hurt and probably would help.

Dracos
  • gregmightgregmight Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    Sorry, I said that entirely wrong.

Not every POST is moderated. Only NEW THREADS are moderated (and still only new threads by newbies).

The board I found this at is http://cgtalk.com/, which has 137,745 members. It only works because typically new members don't start new threads.
    edited January 2005
    And here, new members do start threads. A lot. Which is the whole reason we restricted it in the first place.
    edited January 2005
    I don't know if this board supports it, but one method could be to require topics needing moderator approval for a particular forum. ?The only problem with that set up would be the level of activity of the particular board. ?If new topics are created by newbies very frepquently, it would be difficult for moderators to keep up with the new threads in a timely manner.
    LordBilbanes.png
  • Options
    edited January 2005
    I've got a suggestion for the board.

It would be nice to have the inline folder links ..
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Message Forums > Site Support > Suggestions for the boards[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    .. copied to the bottom of the page. It would make it more convenient to navigate the forum, instead of having to scroll back to the top of the page after reading people's posts.
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited January 2005
    Has there been any thought to having an archives section?

...or at least holding onto (dormant) topics for just a bit longer?

This is just something that occured to me as I went to check the Role Playing Games section. I had remembered seeing a thread on the latest Star Ocean with something like 200 posts, and I just got my hands on the game this week. I wanted to check out what had been said about it, but, unfortunately, the topic is now gone.

It's just a thought, really. I don't know if it's been done, or thought of, before. I'm still pretty new around here.

edited January 2005
    All the topics that have been created on these message boards are still around. The only exceptions to this are the threads that were in the deleted boards.
    LordBilbanes.png
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kuhfuss5 @ Jan. 23 2005,14:01)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Has there been any thought to having an archives section?

...or at least holding onto (dormant) topics for just a bit longer?

This is just something that occured to me as I went to check the Role Playing Games section. I had remembered seeing a thread on the latest Star Ocean with something like 200 posts, and I just got my hands on the game this week. I wanted to check out what had been said about it, but, unfortunately, the topic is now gone.

It's just a thought, really. I don't know if it's been done, or thought of, before. I'm still pretty new around here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Forums are defauled to show only threads that have had a post in the past 30 days. You have to click "From the beginning" at the bottom to show older threads. They're all still around though.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpaceLionSpaceLion Formerly kuhfuss5 Full Members
    edited January 2005
    Oh! Wow, don't I feel silly. Goodness. Thanks for the kind replies. I can't believe I didn't see those options before!
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (reznorsoft @ Jan. 21 2005,15:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I've got a suggestion for the board.

It would be nice to have the inline folder links ..
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Message Forums > Site Support > Suggestions for the boards[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    .. copied to the bottom of the page. It would make it more convenient to navigate the forum, instead of having to scroll back to the top of the page after reading people's posts.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You know, it might not be possible. Our board is quite a mess backstage. That said, it would be cool if we could do this.

Dracos
  • JohnJohn Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    I've got an idea. How about a flash animation making fun of rpgamer after it being here for so long and everyone practically knowing all the staff by now. Why not give each staff personnel a character and make a flash animation about it. Then at the end. Leave it open for another one in a year or so.......

Or just find me more funny flash cartoons. confused.gif
    edited February 2005
    Umm. No.
    LordBilbanes.png
  • BalzacBalzac Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    It would be nice to see our last (however many) posts without having to subscribe to a topic.
    edited March 2005
    rephrase that?

Dracos
    edited March 2005
    I think what he is asking for is the ability to search for a member's posts. The latest version of Ikonboard is capable of this feature.

LordBilbanes.png