If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Suggestions for the boards

Comments

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    Good suggestion, fling it in the 'new design?' bit.

Dracos
  • BalzacBalzac Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (MonCapitan2002 @ Mar. 02 2005,08:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think what he is asking for is the ability to search for a member's posts. The latest version of Ikonboard is capable of this feature.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

That's what I meant, but what's Ikonboard?
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    Take a gander at the footer on this page.
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    [edit by maryadavies]Keep that spammy spammy spam FAR AWAY FROM THIS BOARD!

• Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    How about an option to go to the first unread post in each thread? Save some fingers on the mouse scroll wheel!
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited April 2005
    A locked thread in the Latest Updates forum made me think that perhaps, after a week or two, a general interest thread in that forum might be moved into its respective category, so that someone down the line could post their thoughts to it without being chided for bringing back an old thread in a forum obviously meant for recent events (or creating a new thread on the same topic). It might also help keep two threads on the same topic from popping up, dividing the discussion (e.g. announcement of and link to Ys VI review in Recent Updates and the parallel thread in the Role Playing Games forum). This is especially true of threads announcing reviews of speciffic games.
    edited April 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gouden Draak @ Mar. 17 2005,16:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"How about an option to go to the first unread post in each thread? Save some fingers on the mouse scroll wheel![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If I can get this happening, it'll happen.

Dracos
    edited April 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RIPtoad @ April 02 2005,17:31)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"A locked thread in the Latest Updates forum made me think that perhaps, after a week or two, a general interest thread in that forum might be moved into its respective category, so that someone down the line could post their thoughts to it without being chided for bringing back an old thread in a forum obviously meant for recent events (or creating a new thread on the same topic). It might also help keep two threads on the same topic from popping up, dividing the discussion (e.g. announcement of and link to Ys VI review in Recent Updates and the parallel thread in the Role Playing Games forum). This is especially true of threads announcing reviews of speciffic games.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    It's been thought of before, but no consensus was reached on it. It'll be brought up again. Might happen, might not. =) Thanks for the suggestion.

Dracos
    edited May 2005
    Well, all this E3 business brings to mind another suggestion: a separate forum for E3 reporting, erected temporarily or otherwise. Fifty reports on minutiae in a day, and all of the sudden an important nugget like Atelier Iris Delayed, Pre-orders Canceled gets instantly knocked off the front page. E3 being what it is, there should be a forum dedicated to it, rather than trying to handle it all in Latest Updates. Just a thought.
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Propers on RIPtoad's idea. I was just thinking the same thing.
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Edit by Moncap: Regarding topic creation, read the damn rules.

Refer to this one.

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>? All new members go through probation of 10 posts until they can make new threads. Mingle, discuss on threads already made, and introduce yourself before going on a posting spree.</span></span>

• Options
    edited May 2005
    Reading is fundamental.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"? All new members go through probation of 10 posts until they can make new threads. Mingle, discuss on threads already made, and introduce yourself before going on a posting spree.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    edited May 2005
    You know, I'm pretty tempted to just automatically restrict folks who ask that question.

Dracos
    Tired. =)
    edited May 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (RIPtoad @ May 17 2005,15:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Well, all this E3 business brings to mind another suggestion: a separate forum for E3 reporting, erected temporarily or otherwise. Fifty reports on minutiae in a day, and all of the sudden an important nugget like Atelier Iris Delayed, Pre-orders Canceled gets instantly knocked off the front page. E3 being what it is, there should be a forum dedicated to it, rather than trying to handle it all in Latest Updates. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    it's an idea. it's far too late to try and pull that off this year, but I'll chitchat with Firemyst about it for next year.

Dracos
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited May 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ May 19 2005,14:20)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You know, I'm pretty tempted to just automatically restrict folks who ask that question.

Dracos
    Tired. =)[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Please do so.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Cap, you're an angry man...
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited May 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ May 20 2005,14:00)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Cap, you're an angry man...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Oh come on. Like you weren't thinking the same thing. tounge.gif
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    It's still enough fun to tell off morons that it makes it worth the effort for me. Why use auto-discipline when it's still so entertaining to do it manually?
    edited May 2005
    Didn't say you couldn't, Liquid. And by automatic I meant just myself going ahead and restricting when I saw it. Can't really put in a script that checks for that question here and restricts when it's seen.

Dracos
    Is pondering it, but shall go fly home first.
    edited May 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ May 20 2005,17:00)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Cap, you're an angry man...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nah. I am a very happy man. In fact I am so happy that people are frgihtened by my everpresent smile. They think I look insane. confused.gif
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Pardon my ignorance, but what good is restricting going to do when IIRC it only prevents you from creating new posts, which is the reason they're asking dumb questions to begin with? I say instaban. If you're going to bother being a hardass, do it right.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited May 2005
    It is getting annoying..I even PM'ed that guy and showed him where I mentioned the 10 posts before you can make topics rule in the Newbie Guide, and he STILL asked about it again.

I really need to make a "Help...Why?" section or something for questions like that *throws up hands in exasperation* confused.gif

And I agree that restriction (Which keeps you from makin' topics anyway) won't do any good. I'll see if I can add that little thing in big, bold print to the newbie guide tho in the What You Need To Know section. I'd also recommend bolding it and enlarging it on the rules page so it jumps out and 'bites' you as well.

However, if they repeatedly do it like that guy did and not listen to repeated pm's or warnings, I do think some kind of slapping is in order.

93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
    edited May 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ May 21 2005,14:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Pardon my ignorance, but what good is restricting going to do when IIRC it only prevents you from creating new posts, which is the reason they're asking dumb questions to begin with? I say instaban. If you're going to bother being a hardass, do it right.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    CainEJW made the restricted member group more restrictive when he was an administrator. He made it so restricted members could only post. They could not edit their posts, their profiles, sigs or avatars. He basically removed access to almost all member features. If that is stil the case, then restricting may work. I do think an instant ban may be an idea to consider though.
    LordBilbanes.png
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    At an internet message forum more than elsewhere, reading is fundamental. If someone's comprehension skills are so low that they can't make it through the rules, how are they to be trusted around semi-intelligent conversation?
  • LawngnomesorceressLawngnomesorceress Member Full Members
    edited May 2005
    I know Dracos has said the forum is a mess backstage, but it would be nice if there was some sort of reading comprehension test where you have to make 70% or higher on it to get an account.
  • Options
    edited May 2005
    Oh man! We need to do this! We could do multiple choice 'Pick the correct sentence' section with variable of:

lose/loose
    to/too
    they're/their/there

And then hand out lashes when they get them wrong. I've always kind of wanted to be a teacher.
  • LawngnomesorceressLawngnomesorceress Member Full Members
    edited May 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh man! We need to do this! We could do multiple choice 'Pick the correct sentence' section with variable of:

lose/loose
    to/too
    they're/their/there
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Don't forget punctuation and capitalization! Maybe we should make them type, "I will not use AOL speak," 200 times if they fail the test, before they can retake it. Or heck, if they fail, just have a URL pointing to the GameFAQs forums come up on their browser.
    edited May 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LiQuid! @ May 21 2005,18:32)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"At an internet message forum more than elsewhere, reading is fundamental. ?If someone's comprehension skills are so low that they can't make it through the rules, how are they to be trusted around semi-intelligent conversation?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    On this I agree with. If you lack the reading comprehension to understand a few simple rules, then you have no business participating in a message board. None of the rules for this board are hard to understand, so I find it quite annoying (and even someone disheartening) to see people who lack the ability to comprehend them.
    LordBilbanes.png
    edited May 2005
    The plan, as it shall be, is I'm going to move that rule to the top as soon as I get a chance to do so. Once done, restrictions shall be handed out on asking once, bans on repeated questioning. With that rule being the first one there to be read, I feel the only excuse will be that I did not even look at the rules before coming in here.

There will never be any such test of comprehension because the goal is to invite good people in with the least amount of trouble while simply prunning troublemakers. Being openly condescending on registering isn't quite the way to achieve that. =)

Dracos
    So much to be done.
    edited May 2005
    Man, this is like blood in the shark tank. I'd say that if you plan to nail people that hard for this, you should be even-handed about it and instantly restrict people who flame or troll, as well, rather than giving them some warning first, as seems to be the actual policy. After all, the edict against those things is in the rules, two. (You left that one out, LiQuid!)

If it were me, I would go with the warning from staff/general chastisement by members for a first offense, followed by more extreme measures only if the initial warning were ignored, as in the case of maryadavies' little pinhead. You really shouldn't let yourself become too draconian. Being fair, this is hardly the worst rule that could be violated. And who amongst us has not popped in some new software before completely reading the license agreement, or attempted to put something together without reading the instructions first? You don't really want to scare someone away for something as trivial as this, do you?