If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

RPGamer's New Look

MartyrMartyr MemberFull Members
edited January 2005 in Site & Forum Support
So I guess since we've sort of let the cat out of the bag regarding the new design, I thought it would be good to gather some comments regarding the new layout from you guys.

Keep in mind that there are several several sections, and other places on the site that we will be revamping soon. One of those being an upgrade to these forums, among many other things. So needless to say, there are several other things to come.

Comments

• Matt1plus1Matt1plus1 Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    *tries to get in before the flame war*

Well, considering how the overwhelming majority of site redesigns on the big games sites I go to lately have absolutely sucked, this one isn't too bad. I don't really see the immediate reason for why a new design was neccessary, but this one certainly does have a slicker look to it.

It may just be my browser (Firefox), but the text in the middle with the updates/synopsis seems a bit squished by the features/poll/upcoming/released column. There's a lot of empty space on the right hand side and the borders don't match up..or is there an ad there (I have Adblock on)?

Anyway, overall, not too bad. Some minor fixing/tweaking could make it look quite nice.

EDIT: Nevermind the bit about it looking squished..Firemyst explained all. It looks pretty good in 1024x768.

• DavisDavis 2 Human 2 Furious Full Members
    edited January 2005
    No! Review image buttons are no longer on the left. Southpaws get the shaft once again. sad.gif

Like the color change and the overall preservation of the core site design, however.

Five tons of Flax,
    Davis
  • kweeekweee Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    I don't think we're going to see a flame war break out in here (famous last words, eh?), especially considering that most of the changes are purely cosmetic. The overall look of the index page is now smoother and cleaner, and the menu bar is a lot more organized.

I will, however, miss two things in the new design: the big Interaction section menu on the right-hand side, and by-lines with each article. Whenever I visit, the Interaction menu was the first thing that would catch my eye, and I'd hit the daily Q&A and any other Interaction sections that didn't have their hyperlink text in the visited color. As for by-lines, most people probably won't care about those disappearing, but it was nice to see my name right there with my little carefully-crafted index blurb. Also, if I start calling staff members by their wrong names again, y'all will know why. tounge.gif

Something I wish would have disappeared with the new design is the poll. There just really haven't been any thought-provoking poll topics lately that justify each question receiving a week's attention on the front page. My apologies to the poll maintainer, but the reason for no interesting poll topics is probably because we have a discussion topic for every news item, so there's nothing new left for the poll to discuss. Maybe it could be moved somewhere else, like Q&A or waaaaay down below the reviews and previews list. Then a bigger Interaction menu could go in its place! (Yeah, I'm Interaction's shill.)
  • CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    I'd also like to add...this isn't fully done. You will notice elements of the old design for a little while. In fact, if you look up above, you'll see the old header.

So, please, give us time before you point out the millions of pages without update. We didn't take our little blue pill and kind of launched early.
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    Kweee:

Polls are weird. I highly suspect we have a poll because people like having a poll around and they get an odd joy, thought provoking or not, in answering random small questions. The polls here regularly get 1000-4000 votes in it, so they aren't really being ignored/boring the population at large.

On bylines:

Put 'em back in ;_; I like my little bit of public credit! =P

On subtle design:
    There's half as many links to interaction sections and the one's that are there are half the font size.

I dunno, I can't think of a nice solution to this, but I can't see this as doing interaction much good. As much as it was tedious editing interaction part, I can't help but expect that less folks are going to randomly click and show up in our various sections.

Dracos
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    I like the left sidebar a lot more than the old one; it's slicker and the organization helps. However, it seems a bit off that the right content sidebar is half again as large. Showing off the new stuff is of course well and good, but that's also the middle column. It seems as if you want readers to check out specific things instead of exploring the site--not that there's anything wrong with that.

Also, I understand why it's laid out the way it is, but it just seems weird to be able to click in the top left, the top right, and the bottom right and be taken to reviews.

Oh, and the footer politely tells me, "This is the footer."

• neclordswordneclordsword Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    I think the redesign looks great, considering how bad it could have been.
  • O Shrouded OneO Shrouded One Hobo With A Huge Heart Full Members
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I think the redesign looks great, considering how bad it could have been.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I concur, it's a change for the better. But it's not even done yet, so you'll have to wait and see^^

Plus V'lanna seems to fit in just fine with the new look, which is important for us all.
    Hire me for work!
    Follow me on The Twitters!
    “Like” my page so I get some form of internal satisfaction from a number associated with me increasing!
  • barieuphbarieuph Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    I really like the new look. I think it's quite well done props to you. The only issue i have is, well is the ads, they seem too inclusive, i dunno if thats a thing you have to do or whatever, but the ADs used to be above the banner a little bit, but now they seem as though the ads were used in conjuction with the new layout. It gives it an interesting look, but can also come off as chintsy.

I dont think the interaction things are that big of a deal laugh.gif diehards will be diehards
  • T.G. CidT.G. Cid Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    Frankly, I don't like the changes. ?There was no point in changing the layout of the site, so why do it? ?It's a move reminiscent of IGN: ?Going for flash instead of working on the actual substance of the site, though we're not exactly lacking in substance. ?You could have tried to work at improving the boards or something (yeah, I know, you said you would soon, but why not do that and ignore the great design the main site had?). ?I just don't get it.

edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (T.G. Cid @ Jan. 10 2005,19:43)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Frankly, I don't like the changes. There was no point in changing the layout of the site, so why do it? It's a move reminiscent of IGN: Going for flash instead of working on the actual substance of the site, though we're not exactly lacking in substance. You could have tried to work at improving the boards or something (yeah, I know, you said you would soon, but why not do that and ignore the great design the main site had?). I just don't get it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, basically put...our design was out of style. It was done a few years ago and was really lagging behind the times. While other sites were updating, we were stuck as a little rinky-dink site.

We are not going for flash or pretty looks. We're going for something more modern. Something that isn't from the late 90s. Our site has grown to be respected by many companies. We are THE most popular RPG-only website on the web. There was no reason to look out of date.

We will be getting to EVERY section, including boards so it fits in with everything just like the rest of the site. Sadly, we cannot do everything at once. You'll have to simply wait until we can get here.

We are, literally, changing things front to back. Just because we do not start with your favorite part does not mean we're not getting there. Have patience, and maybe you'll be rewarded with a good, stylish, and still friendly website.

The header is just the beginning.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited January 2005
    that top ad banner annoys me to no end...if it has to stay, move it above everything else. it just seems like that would be more asthetically pleasing and less intrusive to the body of the site's main page.

and yes the far left column could be bigger to show off the rest of the site (maybe a font that takes up more space vertically would work).

and to the person that said that the die hard fans of the various sections will always visit them, please take into consideration that we are always looking for more people to join us.

otherwise, a little warning of the layout change would have been nice...i was like wtf, did i go to the wrong...no this is the right site. eh.gif
  • generatorgenerator Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    I like the new design of the site a lot, looks sharp. But, I am kinda curious as to why the boards need to be updated.. are there problems with it that I'm just not getting (besides low activity)? Would new a new boards design increase posting..?
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (generator @ Jan. 11 2005,08:07)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I like the new design of the site a lot, looks sharp. But, I am kinda curious as to why the boards need to be updated.. are there problems with it that I'm just not getting (besides low activity)? Would new a new boards design increase posting..?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Speaking as former administrator, many parts of this board are a lot more buggy than you think. We can't install any edits, because our database just shrugs them off. Also, we are a full version behind, which means we lack a lot of new options (like merging posts) and new security fixes that could be very vital to the board.

As for warning of the redesign: we didn't give you warning because we wanted you to be surprised! That was the entire POINT of us not telling you. If you got the perfect gift you wanted for Christmas, but someone told you right before you opened it...then the surprise would be ruined.

Oh, and for anyone wondering...yes, this is why awards have been delayed >_>
  • Options
    edited January 2005
    Posting as a Mozilla 1.75 suite user from Internet Explorer, I've found that the new layout, while definitely quite slick and aesthetically pleasing, crashes my browser of choice. I'm almost positive that it's the top ad banner that does it, too; the one time Mozilla did not crash the ad loaded fine, then it disappeared and a new one started to load (quite quickly I might add, it was on-screen for no more than ten seconds or so ) and Mozilla went belly-up :(

I've submitted a number of Talkback reports to the Mozilla crew about this, but I figured I'd let the staff here know about it too. If you need any system specs out of me, I'll be happy to provide them. Mozilla 1.7.5 [Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041217] XP Pro SP2.
  • LawngnomesorceressLawngnomesorceress Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    I love the new design. But one thing: the side and top ads are a little big for the space they're given. The Earthlink ones in particular seems to overflow into the other stuff.
  • watcherwatcher Veteran RPGamer Full Members
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CainEJW @ Jan. 11 2005,07:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Oh, and for anyone wondering...yes, this is why awards have been delayed >_>[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    creepy telepaths wow.gif
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Lakmir @ Jan. 11 2005,11:35)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Posting as a Mozilla 1.75 suite user from Internet Explorer, I've found that the new layout, while definitely quite slick and aesthetically pleasing, crashes my browser of choice. I'm almost positive that it's the top ad banner that does it, too; the one time Mozilla did not crash the ad loaded fine, then it disappeared and a new one started to load (quite quickly I might add, it was on-screen for no more than ten seconds or so ) and Mozilla went belly-up sad.gif

I've submitted a number of Talkback reports to the Mozilla crew about this, but I figured I'd let the staff here know about it too. If you need any system specs out of me, I'll be happy to provide them. Mozilla 1.7.5 [Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041217] XP Pro SP2.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Works just peachy on my Mozilla 1.75 suite under Pro SP2. Perhaps one of the ads is calling a plug-in which you don't have properly installed?
  • Options
    edited January 2005
    Thumbs up from LiQuid!.

It looks even better with Firefox and Adblock getting rid of the annoying 'free iPod,' 'name-the-rapper' and flash ads...
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited January 2005
    I would agree with that. ?Especially when the side ad is wider than the side panel.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited January 2005
    We all hate ads, but they make money, which makes the site live on... I don't like the latest batch of ads either, personally. Q1 is always a slow time. :/
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell