If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

why is there a dragon warrior board?

The GeneralThe General MemberFull Members
edited November 2002 in Site & Forum Support
special treatment? hmm

i remember there used to be a board for every new RPG that came out on the RPGamer Forums, but they would be replaced every few months. but i know you guys don't do that anymore, so why is there a DW board?

i think it should be replaced by something else. hmmm...MY FLAME BOARD!

yes i realise that won't happen. anyone have an idea?

Comments

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    I dunno, perhaps because Dragon Quest was the first console RPG, or because Dragon Quest VII is the best-selling PSX game of all time, or perhaps because the remake of Dragon Quest IV sold about four times as many copies in its first weekend as Final Fantasy XI has to date...
  • The GeneralThe General Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    based on that, we should have a Mariah Carey board.
  • FF_Freak_4_LifeFF_Freak_4_Life Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The General @ Oct. 20 2002,21:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"based on that, we should have a Mariah Carey board.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    *ssshhh!* Don't give him ideas........
    edited October 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The General @ Oct. 20 2002,21:16)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"based on that, we should have a Mariah Carey board.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Sorry, I don't quite follow. This is a site that covers electronic role-playing games. Dragon Quest/Warrior happens to be one of the most successful series of electronic role-playing games. And none of the games in the main series have sold as poorly as Glitter.
  • LegatoLegato Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I dunno, perhaps because Dragon Quest was the first console RPG, or because Dragon Quest VII is the best-selling PSX game of all time, or perhaps because the remake of Dragon Quest IV sold about four times as many copies in its first weekend as Final Fantasy XI has to date... [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Makes sense (or cents if your stupid).
  • The GeneralThe General Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    it still doesn't change the fact that the board has very little activity. look at the anime forum, it's been around for a very short time and it's already about halfway to what the DW board has had for a long time.
  • ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited October 2002
    If your so against the DW board, why don't you ignore it. Its there to stay, and no matter how much you complain it won't go away.
  • SilverDragon_7SilverDragon_7 Banned Banned Users
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Viper @ Oct. 21 2002,13:51)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If your so against the DW board, why don't you ignore it. Its there to stay, and no matter how much you complain it won't go away.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    man, i think hes jus tryin to say whats the point in having something when it is useless? why put up a board when no one is goona use it? but i also agree , its there to stay...( unless someone actually does somethin about it)so what the hell, leave it alone.
  • MalangoMalango Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    In just a few weeks the Anime board has already beaten the DQ board five fold.

so I think they should give a new board a try ?

But I have never played a DQ game myself, I don't even now what they look like (never seen a pic).
    edited November 2002
    Five fold? Don't you mean by five more threads? In any case, I've provided a rationale for its existence and it's not my decision in any case, so I'll restrict further posting on the subject to fact correction as in this case.
  • LordofshadowsLordofshadows Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Nov. 02 2002,08:19)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Five fold? ?Don't you mean by five more threads? ?In any case, I've provided a rationale for its existence and it's not my decision in any case, so I'll restrict further posting on the subject to fact correction as in this case.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I like you, Rico. I like your posts over at RPGfan as well. Unfortunately, I do not agree with your "rationale" in this case. It is entirely based on a japanese viewpoint. I imagine that this board is mostly comprised of people living outside of Japan. The DW games simply arent as popular, as you well know, in other territories. A Square board would have more justification than a DW board. Personally, I like the idea of "rotating" boards for the current most popular rpgs. Suikoden III, Kingdom Hearts, etc.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2002
    And have people bemoan when their precious threads and posts go up in smoke when a new game appears and replaces it?

We have permanant boards now, which work perfectly well for new, upcoming, and old games. It may have worked fine before, but that does not make it the only option or solution.
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    I, too, have a few issues about forums based on games that
    a) have new installments released few and far between
    b) have very little, if any, news to speak of 98% of the time
    c) aren't particularly popular outside of Japan

But, as there's nothing to be done about anything, there isn't even a point to saying my piece. Good day.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited November 2002
    Now I wonder if anyone else will reach the same conclusion Desh did.
    (That being that the idea was turned down by the person running the board and no matter how much continued argument about it there is, the chances of the argument ever affecting anything falls somewhere between slim and none.)

But hey, continue arguing if you want biggrin.gif