If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

The Front Page

MartyrMartyr MemberFull Members
edited January 2006 in Site & Forum Support
RPGamer may or may not be planning to give its front page a new layout. RPGamer may be planning for said layout to be completely different.

Questions:
What do you like about the current front page?
What do you dislike about it?
What would you like to see?
What would you like to not see?
Etc etc?

smile15.png

Comments

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited December 2005
    It lacks fire. It is my professional opinion that all things are bettered by the inclusion of fire. Preferrably lots of it.

I'll give a less silly suggestion sometime later =)

Dracos
    Tests.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited December 2005
    I've always thought the current header section looks horrid. "Okay, here's a decent graphic thing, and... here's a huge black blob, an ad, then some red square for some reason, and, well, maybe you can get to the content now." Since the ads obviously are staying around (and I have no problem with that), I would say that they either need to be better integrated into the design or that they be moved a bit so they're not trying to integrate with the design.

While interaction.part certainly had its problems, as it stands now, unless you hit the site fairly soon after an update happens, you have no real way of telling whether a section has updated since the last time you came (mouseovers so don't count). To add insult to injury, the listings are in pretty much the smallest font used on the site. Then the headings don't really make sense: I don't think of staff biographies and job listings as interaction, and chat and even the boards aren't a section.

And while the right sidebar has some neat things on it, scrolling down isn't elegant.

Basically--and I say this as someone who's publically defended the news department before--RPGamer is never going to have all the news first, nor is it going to have prompt reviews on every title. I don't think it's really good or bad; it's just the way things are and will likely continue to be. On one hand, those neat little icons and listings say, "Look, we did something neat and it's content you won't find anywhere else." On the other, one might take a look and say, "Oh, they only have a preview of M&L, and that's been out for a week or so and I want to maybe buy it," go somewhere else, and not come back. It's a tricky line to walk, and especially since one of my main suggestions for getting people to stay is to lift up the interaction stuff (but look what it's catapulted a site like 1up to). Sure, there's OCRemix and VGMix, but I still come to RPGamer's music section. There're dedicated sites for fanart and fanfiction, but we get some good, unique art here, and I've liked our fanfic review section since Denise's day. It's the combination of aspects into one site that really completes it.

While I'm sure that there will still be plenty of people who just come here, register their unique hit, glance at something, and leave, emphasizing each aspect of the site a little more equally may be more likely to better 'hook' one of those, get more content generated, and attract more people.
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited December 2005
    Maybe make some sections a bit more obvious - the message forums link is kinda buried in a pile of text-links. Might be why the most popular poll choice was "You have a message board???"
  • MartyrMartyr Member Full Members
    edited December 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Gouden Draak @ Dec. 09 2005,14:22)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Maybe make some sections a bit more obvious - the message forums link is kinda buried in a pile of text-links. Might be why the most popular poll choice was "You have a message board???"[/QUOTE]
    Actually, we have two smile16.png
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited December 2005
    And no one's more aware of that than Martyr, believe me. smile24.png
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • King Jowy XXIIKing Jowy XXII Regnus Obscura Full Members
    edited December 2005
    My only suggestion would be the inclusion of an RPGamer theme song that would roll whenever you visit the site ala the heyday of Homestarrunner.com! You could have the lyrics appear at the bottom of the screen in Flash and have a bouncing 16-bit era moogle or chocobo as the bouncing-ball that helps the less rythmically inclined to sing along!

I'm not sure what the lyrics would be, persay, but I do know that there should be a chorus where the staff are all listed in a block of rapid-fire rhyme-scheme ala R.E.M.'s It's the End of the World! You could then plug in random high fantasy / RPG concepts into the song! (Castomel is doin' well/ learned a new spell! / Hey there's Lenne's Bell!")

Yeah...every organization needs a theme song! ^_^

(Will wake up soon...maybe, like Dracos, offer more constructive help then.../moment of sanity)
  • WelshWelsh New Member Full Members
    edited December 2005
    more consistency across the different sections would be nice

each interaction section is formated completely different

i guess the editor of each section is given free reign on the layout, but it would be good to see some type of standard format
    edited December 2005
    I'm talking about the front page only in this thread, but those suggestions are welcome too =P
  • LawngnomesorceressLawngnomesorceress Member Full Members
    edited December 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"each interaction section is formated completely different
    [/QUOTE]

Mainly because each Interaction section has completely different requirements. Fanart and Fanfic can't have the same layout, really.
    edited December 2005
    Eeeeeeh we could get around that pretty easily. We could make it all look the same, but interaction editors are pretty much given free reign in that regard, yes.
    edited December 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Martyr @ Dec. 15 2005,11:13)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'm talking about the front page only in this thread, but those suggestions are welcome too =P[/QUOTE]
    well on the front page maybe if there wasn't a 'story' published every time an interaction site was updated

it seems to clutter up the page and bury the actual news a bit
  • LawngnomesorceressLawngnomesorceress Member Full Members
    edited December 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"well on the front page maybe if there wasn't a 'story' published every time an interaction site was updated

it seems to clutter up the page and bury the actual news a bit [/QUOTE]

Funny, because most people complain about the exact opposite...
    edited December 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Lawngnomesorceress @ Dec. 15 2005,19:14)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"<table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"well on the front page maybe if there wasn't a 'story' published every time an interaction site was updated

it seems to clutter up the page and bury the actual news a bit [/QUOTE]

Funny, because most people complain about the exact opposite...[/QUOTE]
    well maybe its just me

but i think it would really help the front page if the news updates and the interaction updates were kept seperate
    edited December 2005
    Any chance of a new logo? The text is nice, but the dragon and swords have kinda aged and look flat.
  • RIPtoadRIPtoad Member Full Members
    edited December 2005
    The Dragon Lady is right. The dragon isn't too bad, except that weird kink in his neck right below his head, but the swords over the disc (is that supposed to be a shield or something?) looks like some cheesy clip art.

A little sprucing up there wouldn't hurt. smile4eo.gif
    edited December 2005
    her neck...

Anyhow...

*cracks neck*

Rico said=quoted and all that.

Your various sections don't draw attention to themselves. They don't change, they don't bring notice. There's no quip linked with them outside of their news thing. A guy who comes here once a week at a given day will only see one interaction section ever. The news meanwhile is the sites focus, but also only gets you folks who are there for the quick impression. They come, they leave. You have a front page that at the moment encourages that in the strongest possible sense. Every single prominent entry point off the front page is an end of line type deal, the exceptions at most going 1 click deeper.

Your advertisements perpetually look awkward in the framework. Gauntlet has a bunch of wasted space about it and doesn't feel embeded, instead just floating there. Magna carta is worse, oversizing the border its on and looking like it was just slapped on top. You know what sizes you're selling. You should be able to have the front page look stylish around them.

As it stands when I open your page, over 30 percent of what I see is waste, logos, borders, or advertisements. It's setup that outside of the top three and the features, I can't see anything. Moving back to 800x600 would make this ratio worse. I'd say that's a little wasteful.

I'd also say if anything, the viewer is blasted with too many links if they hit page down, and too little cohesion between them.

Meh, Looking around while doing this has reduced my caring back into the negative range. That'll have to do ya.

Dracos
    meh.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited December 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(RIPtoad @ Dec. 16 2005,16:34)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"The Dragon Lady is right. The dragon isn't too bad, except that weird kink in his neck right below his head, but the swords over the disc (is that supposed to be a shield or something?) looks like some cheesy clip art.[/QUOTE]
    I believe V'lanna is a she.
    edited December 2005
    I'm guessing there is some history to the dragon, but some of the "newer" people have no idea.
    edited December 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Gouden Draak @ Dec. 16 2005,23:18)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"I'm guessing there is some history to the dragon, but some of the "newer" people have no idea.[/QUOTE]
    Kinda sorta. V'lanna was drawn a long long long long long time ago by our old fan art cuator Susan Richardson since the dragon is our lord and master, Mikel Tidwell's, favorite fictional-type creature.
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited December 2005
    That dragon offends me. We should do something with it. And by us I mean you and by it I mean him.
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
    edited December 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Martyr @ Dec. 17 2005,01:42)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Kinda sorta. V'lanna was drawn a long long long long long time ago by our old fan art cuator Susan Richardson since the dragon is our lord and master, Mikel Tidwell's, favorite fictional-type creature.[/QUOTE]
    I think V'lanna has been around longer than that.

And it's a she, Max.
  • Max_DeltreeMax_Deltree Is trying to get back in these forums Full Members
    edited December 2005
    Wow. That's funny. I was kinda drunk and made that post, but didn't read any other posts of this thread. It was funny that people was ACTUALLY talking about the dragon.

But yeah, I think the logo looks dated. My opinion that it needs a new one, similar but with a more modern tone. It can keep the red dragon, but a diferent style maybe.

Also, I happen to like the rest of the front page. Everything I want is there, where I think it should be. Don't think it needs any re-estructuration.

Perhaps a color change, at most. I was never a big fan of grey, but there ARE a whole lot of worst choices, so I think I prefer the gray then to go back here and see that you guys changed to an orange/red pattern. smile6.png
    PSN ID: MaxDeltree
  • KenokajeKenokaje Member Full Members
    edited December 2005
    Alrighty then.. Haven't posted on RPGamer Forums for SUCH a long time.

My opinion, add a new picture. Sure the dragon with swords is awesome, but it does get dull and kinda plain after a while. Draco's idea with fire sounds nice, why not add that in the bg of the dragon or something eh?

My other opinion is adding some kind of box where users can see the last topics in the forums that have been replied too. Or maybe the most active.
    edited December 2005
    I guess this has gotten on semipermanent hold =P

Dracos
    edited December 2005
    Hey Dracos, no offense, but can you post in a thread without bitching?

I knew from the beginning that this wouldn't happen in two weeks.
    edited December 2005
    Can, but yeah, that was uncalled for. Sorry. =)

Dracos
  • guns an bladesguns an blades Member Full Members
    edited December 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Martyr @ Dec. 29 2005,16:46)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Hey Dracos, no offense, but can you post in a thread without bitching?

I knew from the beginning that this wouldn't happen in two weeks.[/QUOTE]
    come on man hes a fan of Foamy he rants like him
    edited December 2005
    As you are new to the forums, here's a friendly tip:
    We don't like it when random users encourage negative behaviour. And don't even trying saying "haha I wuz just kiding". Thanks.
  • Ihsans ShadeIhsans Shade Member Full Members
    edited January 2006
    I think you guys should change some colors around on the front page.

After coming from RPGfan to here, this just looks ugly. smile2.png You can make it look better than this!

A layout change wouldn't hurt either. Make the front page easier to navigate.

(You also need a thumbs up smiley face.) In the mean time, here's my rendition of a thumbs up. =D d

edited January 2006
    I'm told I'm blessed that I'm red/green colourblind, but I haven't been to RPGfan for years so I'm presuming they're still using the same colour scheme? smile8.png