If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Been wondering....

AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa...Full Members
edited September 2002 in Site & Forum Support
Where did you guys come up with your names?

Comments

• ViperViper Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Heard it on TV and decided to use it.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2002
    When I was 12 or so, I began hanging out with a big group of friends really into nicknames. They decided I was feline, but were stuck on a name. We had a Kat (Katherine), a Kitten (youngest girl in the group), and a Copycat (She liked to forge stuff...dont ask what she's doing for a living. Even I don't).

So, they finally came up with Paws. Been with it ever since. It's unique enough. Although I have met some males with the nickname Paws wow.gif
  • AdremmelechAdremmelech The Original Playa... Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I was looking for a name for an online RPG. I used to do the character designs for a ChatRPG that started at Yahoochat called Vanda. I wanted something that noone would ever think of so i looked in a bible encyclopedia and found the name "Adrammelech". I think he was the son of an Assyrian king who, with his brother, killed his father. I forgot why. The other explanation it had was that Adrammelech was an Assyrian false god that they used to sacrifice their children to.

Im not a mean god. I just love the kids.
  • maryadaviesmaryadavies She Shoots For The Stars Somewhere east of Atlanta, GAModerators
    edited April 2002
    me? My username is NOT that original. My full name is Mary Alice Davies. When I got my first free e-mail(hotmail), there was a character limit, so I shortened it to maryadavies so I could remember the darn thing without having to write it down or something(you always remember your name, right?). It's become my username on almost everything I sign up on. (or some variation theron)

However, my IRC nick has a differnent story. At one time, I wanted to become a nurse. So I decided to pick a healer type name. In the Talent books there's a healer called Elizara. I liked that so I used it for a nick. Even tho I was not able to become a nurse(couldn't get through the program), I never bothered to find another since I STILL want to help disabled people after I get through school smile.gif

93a24222217c9c20a686db8be4676a84.jpg
    My personal page
    New to the boards? Confused? Find the answers here.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    Well theres 2 reasons for me choosing this name:

1. Well Loki is the Trickster god from greek mythology (God of mischief, very cunning) he used to be a giant and was a son of a giant and lived in Jotunheim. Then became an Aesir when Odin made him his blood brother. He had offspring such as Fenrir, Hel, and some others. Loki caused the death of Balder and then the gods set out to punish him.

2. Also Loki is the "final boss in Valkyrie Profile" and I like him the best out of the many characters in that game. He turns evil in the end.
  • Anna Marie PrivitereAnna Marie Privitere Purr RPGamer Staff
    edited April 2002
    I'd like to point out the mayhem Loki can cause.

See THIS?

I was scratching my head for a couple days, trying to figure out if I'd suddenly been calling one of my staff a 'he' and being way off base. Guess a reader was thinking the same thing.

Lesson learned: when using a pic in your bio, don't choose one that looks like it has boobs when you're a guy.
  • TRCTRC Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"1. Well Loki is the Trickster god from greek mythology (God of mischief, very cunning) he used to be a giant and was a son of a giant and lived in Jotunheim. Then became an Aesir when Odin made him his blood brother. He had offspring such as Fenrir, Hel, and some others. Loki caused the death of Balder and then the gods set out to punish him.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I will only correct the worst mistake. I think you know what it is anyway, NORSE mythology, not greek. I'll let the rest slide.

While I am here, my nick stood for something a long time ago, not anymore though. And no I won't say what

• TSGTSG Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Tremedously Recalcitrant Cabbage.

Er, anyways. My name comes from a very, /very/ obscure old video game. For some reason, the one time I saw it it stuck in my head and went from there. I've been accused of taking it from Chrono Trigger, though (evidently a version of The Steel Runner) and the bloke just wouldn't believe me when I told him otherwise. I guess I was wrong about my name all the time.
  • Options
    edited April 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TRC @ April 29 2002,22:10)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"1. Well Loki is the Trickster god from greek mythology (God of mischief, very cunning) he used to be a giant and was a son of a giant and lived in Jotunheim. Then became an Aesir when Odin made him his blood brother. He had offspring such as Fenrir, Hel, and some others. Loki caused the death of Balder and then the gods set out to punish him.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

I will only correct the worst mistake. I think you know what it is anyway, NORSE mythology, not greek. I'll let the rest slide.

While I am here, my nick stood for something a long time ago, not anymore though. And no I won't say what[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    my mistake! wow.gif
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I LIKE TAQUIIIITOS.

Oh, I mean Xenogears.
  • SeraphicLawSeraphicLaw Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    I chose my name because I think it sounds nice. I can say that over and over again without getting tongue tied!! Hee hee. SaraphicLaw, SaraphicLaw, SaraphicLaw, SaraphicLaw, SaraphicLaw, SaraphicLaw, SaraphicLaw, SaraphicLaw, Saraaa, oh I better stop before I get banned. Saraphic Law is a name of a spell from Valkyrie Profile! smile.gif wink.gif
  • StomStom Member Full Members
    edited April 2002
    Stom is a warrior with a bit part in a classic NES adventure RPG called "Crystalis." (Play the NES version, the GB version ruined the ending.) He has a tragic death and a nice soliloquey before passing.

Back in the "golden era of IRC" (1996-7) there was a huge popularity in using obscure RPG characters as names. Sadly, there weren't really all that many RPGs out at the time, so I pulled this one out of nowhere. Been Stom for six years now.
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Desh is a crazy ninja in FFIIIj who has awaken from a deep sleep, and has no idea where he is. He's quite the ladies' man, as the quote below is his. I can only hope to be like that... tounge.gif

He also has strong resolve and a good heart. Since FFIIIj is one of my most-played RPGs... he came to mind.
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited May 2002
    My nick came to be from IRC... many years ago. ?I used to run around as Dragon, and later as I got into Magic, as Shivan. ?Due to a personal issue that's not pleasant, nor relevant, I decided I needed a new persona... something that was new, original, and "mine".

Since I was a part of alt.fan.dragons at the time, I went to their IRC channel and discussed my desire for a new name. ?Four days of deliberation later, they came up with "FireMist". ?I changed the i to a y (for style) and have used it ever since.

... Too bad it's not as original as it was in the day. mad.gif ?Damn copycats with no imaginations.

Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • Zap Cannon 2525Zap Cannon 2525 Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    My name is an attack from the Pok?mon games. I had been using another Pok?mon related name for years, but last year sometime, I made the connection that "Zap Cannon" sounds like a cool heroic-type name. I started using it at a board I visited, eventually registered with it here, and just this past weekend, began using it at my homeboard as well.

As for the numbers... not a reference to the old song, "In the Year 2525" which I've only heard once or twice and really don't care for. Though, it certainly does sound like a year in the future, or perhaps a numeric address for another dimension, both of which could tie into the heroic image that I think the name "Zap Cannon" has....

But really, it's just homage to my previous (and in some places, current) handle.
  • ScarmiglionScarmiglion Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Got my nick back in high school, partly because of a scar I got after an operation. The final choice is an alteration of Scarmiglione, one of the demons Dante meets in The Divine Comedy. He just sits there on a rock. I suggest everyone read it sooner or later; it's a very classic piece of literature.
  • eeeradicatoreeeradicator Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Zap Cannon 2525 @ May 01 2002,19:42)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"As for the numbers... not a reference to the old song, "In the Year 2525" which I've only heard once or twice and really don't care for.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Isn't that the them from Cleopatra 2525? Aaaaahhhhhh.... Jennifer Skye. And that show was on before Jack of All Trades, which was genious, but unfortunatlely no longer with us.

Anyhoo, my name is from a KitH sketch. If you don't know what KitH is, you would never get it anyway.

"When I stand atop the D-Squash ladder, then and only then will my true identity be revealed!!!!"
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Depressingly enough, I stole mine from Dragonlance novels for use playing AD&D with my friends, and then decided to hang on to it once I started out on IRC.
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • CyllyaCyllya Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    My name was originally Scyllya, which I got from misreading Scylla. Scylla is a Greek mythology moster, but I first heard the name in a stratagy game called Gemfire for SNES, where Scylla was a pretty scythe-weilding wizardess.

But people were always trying to pronounce Scyllya like Cecilia, so I took the S off. It's SILL-ya, darnit.
  • Options
    edited May 2002
    My roots are old. Wally is a butchered version of an even older online name I have, called "Waluin". I chopped it down about a year ago, although I still use the old version in my ancient online haunts.
  • StingrayStingray Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Many eons ago, while attending Kitzingen American Middle School in Kitzingen, Germany, I had a rat tail (hey, they were fashionable at the time). ?Someone on a balcony looked down and saw me coming and yelled, "hey, it looks like you have a stingray on your head!"

And you thought I liked corvettes!

I also have a fascination with things marine. ?I guess that's what I get for being officially Floridian. ?So, I've used this handle whenever I can, where ever I can...it's even my CB handle!

In cases when I can't use Stingray, I'll use kestrel (I'm a bird watcher, too), thesios (a variation of Theseus, better Theseos, the greatest Athenian hero in Greek mythology), or Orestes (the first person ever to be put on trial in Greek mythology...he killed his mother for killing his father, was found innocent, too).

• AlienaAliena Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Well, my penname on FFnet is Lady Aliena (pronounced uh-LEE-nuh, not alien-uh). I got that out of a book I was reading last year when I started writing. I thought it was unusual...I had never heard it before, and the character itself was strong and virtuous. I believe Aliena also appears in a Shakespearean play as well. So I merely dropped the "Lady" and here I am!
  • ShionShion Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Imported Xenosaga at its Japanese release. 'nuff said.
  • Options
    edited May 2002
    my name came from two things:

Takeda (Taa-kay-duh)- an clan from Japan back when it was under shogun rule

Horimoto (Hoe-ri-moe-toe)- I made it up cause it sounded catchy with takeda.
  • Options
    edited May 2002
    My name comes from Seiken Densetsu 3. If you've played either Angela's or Duran's quest you would know that there is a villain named The Darkshine Knight. I liked how it sounded so I decided that it should be my name. Also, The Darkshine Knight in Seiken Densetsu 3 was awesome. biggrin.gif
  • Spinal TartSpinal Tart Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Got mine from the movie This is Spinal Tap. The band is going to play a air force base and the guy that greets them mistakengly calls them "Spinal Tart".
  • Options
    edited May 2002
    How could anyone mistake Spinal Tap for Spinal Tart?
  • LocrianLocrian Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    :3 how many of you know where my name comes from?

*hint: there's two main places, and one of them involves greece, and the other involves music and greece smile.gif

• Options
    edited May 2002
    Does it have anything to do with the Orpheus thing-a-mo-bober.
  • LocrianLocrian Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Nope.