If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Been wondering....

Comments

• StingrayStingray Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Locrian @ May 19 2002,19:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE":3 how many of you know where my name comes from?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, it's a mode (musical), in the same vein as Ionian, Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian, Lydian, and Mixolydian (the -ian ending gave it away).

All of these names are Greek roots.

<span id='ME'><center>Stingray searches his hymnal for Locrian Mode.</center></span>

As I figured...it doesn't seem to be one of popular use. As one who chants often, I see the Modal names over the notation, but I've never seen Locrian (in fact, the introit for today...yesterday...Pentecost was chanted in Mixolydian Mode). Like I said before, the -ian ending gave it away (that, and what you have written in your signature about being a music theory nut).
  • LocrianLocrian Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Yeah.

It was a greek city, and it's a greek mode, where as with no accidentals the tonic is 'B'. Ie: half step, whole step whole step, half step, whole step whole step, whole step. It's the forbidden mode, as it contains a tritone between the tonic and dominant.

It's actually my favorite mode. When the half-diminished seven tonic is used right, you can get nice results smile.gif.
  • Options
    edited May 2002
    Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time books.
  • DarkDreadDarkDread Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    Way back in the early days of online chat, I just used a random nick all the time... anyway... for a joke, I decided to take an 'evil' pic of myself, basically making fun of the black metal trend that was popping up in the underground back then (this was around... hmm... '95 or so, I think)... anyway, some people got it as a joke, and some did not... one person seemed genuinely frightened of the pic, and said 'you look dark... and dreadful'... so, that's how I came up with DarkDread.
  • Ash_MasakiAsh_Masaki New Member Full Members
    edited May 2002
    My name is a combination of two of my favorite things; The Evil Dead movies and Tenchi Muyo the anime series. Masaki is Tenchi?s last name, and Ash is the hero from Evil Dead. The name was actually brought about from a fanfic crossover I did of the two.

Put those together and you got my name! Ash Masaki
  • Options
    edited May 2002
    my and a bunch of net buddies was thinking of names to use at a few message boards, and I just came up with Vivi, and no I didn't get it form Squaresoft I was using this name 2 years before IX was even thought of, and I don't know where the 01 came from
  • Options
    edited May 2002
    Well, I was playing a MUD several years ago, and when I made new characters I would just pick names out of nowhere that sounded cool. I made a guy named Draconius, and i stuck with him a long time, and just started using it everywhere.
  • Strategy JunkyStrategy Junky Member Full Members
    edited June 2002
    Well, quite frankly, I am what it says and what it says I am ?biggrin.gif

• Brendar&amp;#39;s palaceBrendar&amp;#39;s palace Member Full Members
    edited June 2002
    well actually I was playing dragon warrior three one of the best rpgs for nes at the time. They give you a choice to name your character or use a default name and brendar was it. I even named my dog brendar so there. Most people call me by quarr, sirus, or porkchop.
  • DravenNightcrawlerDravenNightcrawler Member Full Members
    edited June 2002
    my name is one i use for most of my d&d characters, i came up with it by using draven from the crow (eric draven), and nightcrawler, contrary to popular belief, was NOT inspired by the x-man of the same name, but i judas priest song of the same name, i think the mix sounds pretty smooth, and use it for whenever i need an alias.... in case you're wonderi ng, draven nightcrawler the d&d character usually is a chaotic neutral outlaw (fighter with thieving tendencies) eithewr human or more often elven, one of the most oddball charaters you will ever come across
  • ArdeaArdea Member Full Members
    edited June 2002
    Look it up in a Latin dictionary.
    Goes quite nicely with my signature, don't you think? smile.gif
    My name's an offshoot of the rainy lunchtime/marker pen/sugar high combination that spawned my sig.
    Heron Heron Heron
  • MalangoMalango Member Full Members
    edited June 2002
    I made it up in a game a cards one time a few years ago ( was actually malango man) , I'd never heard of it it was striaght out me head , and one day I put it in yahoo and it's used every where ?? smile.gif smile.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2002
    Well, my nickname came about when I first got my Yahoo email account, several years before I got my computer. I searched for an hour through the things I has been called throughout my youth and they were all taken. I used to be called Wild Irish Rose but that was taken. I shortened it to Wild Rose and that was taken too. So, finally I put the bc behind wild rose to indicate that the name was mine before computers were in practical use, and not just something I made up to get an email address.
  • poke32poke32 Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    mine just come from my impressed views of pok?mon i was facinated by the concept and 32 is my fav ##
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    Well, mine's prety obvious. In greek mythos, it's one of the names of death, and it was also the name of one of the final bosses in Secret of Mana,
  • MetacodMetacod Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    My name has a long and strange heritage. It all began with a friend named William, who loves the storyline of the collectible card game Magic:The Gathering. There is a race of peoples in Magic called the "Metathran", and apparently someone named Tsabo Tavoc who loved to torture them. Anyway, at a birthday party for another friend, named Brian, we were playing "telephone". William started the game by whispering "Tsabo Tavoc loves torturing Metathran." By the time it got to Brian, it was "Insane clavicles love torturing MetaCod." I thought the MetaCod part was really funny, especially because things relating to "cod" have been sort of an inside joke among my friends. There is a card in Magic called "Metathran Zombie", so in Starcraft, a game I started playing around then, I decided my screen name should be "Metacod_Zombie". I ended up shortening the name to just "Metacod" for various message boards like this one.
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    My parents choosed my name when I was born. Hmm... confused.gif

• Options
    edited July 2002
    The Suicide Machines = Ska punk Band
    I think that pretty much explains it smile.gif
  • AngodelAngodel Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    Made it up..i hope! It's a combanation of "Angel" and "God"

See? ANgodEL or ANGodEL. Pronounced "ange-o-del" not "An-god-el" sad.gif
  • HyperMechaHyperMecha Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    Well I am a big fan of mecha and any anime I watch HAS to have mechs in it, and the hyper part is in reference to "hyper mode" which means "all out" or all guns blazing, no holds barred attack mode. Plus I also ride a Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R which is pretty much a hyper-mecha ....hee hee. All this is made even stranger by the fact that I'm a chick! ?wow.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"By the time it got to Brian, it was "Insane clavicles love torturing MetaCod." [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I thought it had something to do with pokemon...(metapod)...silly me... hehe

• Darth_yogiDarth_yogi Member Full Members
    edited July 2002
    hrmm.. i really dont know where i got this one...
    probably because hes a dimwitted rascal.. hehe..
    i normally use vile_scar but people think im a goth... i use that probably because i have appauling balance and am always falling over resulting in many an injury.. (also the name of a hard-hitting poison-causing break art in vagrant story)
  • Options
    edited July 2002
    My name is pretty obvious where it came from. Those whodo not know it came from Final Fantasy VIj and Final Fantasy III American.
  • FF_Freak_4_LifeFF_Freak_4_Life Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Well, my name is self-explanitory! My favorite RPG franchise overall is Final Fantasy, and I think I can like it 4 life!
  • FF_Freak_4_LifeFF_Freak_4_Life Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Oh by the way, is there any way possible that I can change my name without making a completely new profile? y'know, since I want people to know who I am still! Re-registering is out of the question!
  • Options
    edited August 2002
    Well, my pen name is "Trevor Lyniad." ?It has been such for years now. ?I don't remember when I started using it. ?It's my web alias as well.

I dunno, I just think "Lyniad" is a cool name: cool sounding and cool looking. ?As far as I know, no one else uses it on the web or in life. Of course I could be mistaken.

My real last name is Leo, which I'm told is pretty cool in its own right.

- Lyniad

• SephirothYuyXSephirothYuyX I Am, Who I Am. Full Members
    edited August 2002
    mines simple...

SephirothYuyX

Sephiroth from ff7

Yuy from gundam wing heero yuy

X is just cool

seph and hero are badasses
  • mesomeso Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    Heh, I played an online game ones (Achaea. My character was called Meso, and became quite an influental character in the game... So I decided to keep my nickname Meso...
    Sounds nice too =)
  • mesomeso Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"The Suicide Machine Posted on July 15 2002,22:37
    The Suicide Machines = Ska punk Band
    I think that pretty much explains it [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You rule.... Oh wait... TSM rules...
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    "keele864" is a joke on my last name, a Tales of Destiny II character, Gameboy (8 bits), and N64.
  • Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited August 2002
    I came up with Captain Vittles 5 and a half years ago. I didn't have a net connection at home, but I played around on local BBSes (my first gf got me hooked). I was quite fond of playing Legend of the Red Dragon, and it was the only reason I kept using them as long as I did.

Anyway, the game was reset during my final exams of first year university. So I needed a new character. The alternative was studying, and that wasn't going to happen. I was tired of playing as a 'serious' character and wanted to create a warrior with a name that was utterly ridiculous. While channel surfing earlier that day, I came across a Captain Vegetable skit on Sesame Street and the theme song was stuck in my head. Substituting an even sillier word for vegetable, and adding some creative characters, *Captain_Vittles!* was born!

But why keep using it? Simple. I started using IRC about a year later, as the good BBSes had shut down and I was finally able to get a home net connection. I didn't really want to be Cloud983355 or Sephiroth666 or whatnot, so I picked a name I was sure no one else would have:

*Captain_Vittles!*

Except stupid IRC won't allow * or ! in your nick. So now I'm Captain Vittles. Oh well.