If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Newbie Help Thread

Comments

• MedgeMedge New Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Wow, im full of them, is there any news on a LOTR rpg? i was thinkin like u choose ur race and stuff, gotta fight a new evil, roam "Middle-earth" killin things, and have like Aragorn, Legolas, Frodo as like elder dudes you can get advice from. Anything?
  • too much pietoo much pie Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Medge @ July 16 2004,17:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"ok thanks man, got another question now, in ff8 where do i get me some adamantine for squalls lionheart? i searched pretty much everywhere just runnin roung,usin mug, but i just dont get any.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Well, I havent played it in AGES but i think you get that stuf ffrom an adamantoise(either by muggin or just killin em') That is
    IF there is an enemy called that in the game. If there is, then go to one of the beaches on the World Map and get into a ton of random encounters.(dunno wat beach to go to though)
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"but there are a few RPGs coming out over the next year or so and there is the possibility that a couple might be good.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Since you don't seem too familiar with titles, here's a few: Baldur's Gate 2 (available now), Champions of Norrath (available now, but search hard), KOTOR 2 (later), Jade Empire (later). That should keep you busy.

And if you own an Xbox, you have to play Halo.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Wow, im full of them, is there any news on a LOTR rpg? i was thinkin like u choose ur race and stuff, gotta fight a new evil, roam "Middle-earth" killin things, and have like Aragorn, Legolas, Frodo as like elder dudes you can get advice from. Anything?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

All I know about LOTR: The Third Age is that you play as a completely different party, in classic RPG fashion, on their own quest through Middle Earth. Sometimes you fight with the LOTR regular characters, sometimes against them, and sometimes you visit completely original locations (probably stuff from the Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales).

It doesn't look bad at all, but I'm not too interested myself.

Anyway, this thread is mainly for help questions. Other members will gladly answer your questions in more appropriate forums.

• MedgeMedge New Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    All right, thanks guys, i would have put them in a more appropriate forum, but i dont have enough posts yet, so i couldnt, sorry but nevermind. Ive done Halo, Hitman, both splinter cells, LOTR 1&2, but i didnt know BG2 was out on xbox, ill have to go buy it, thanks again.
  • madhtrmadhtr Full Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TrueGamer @ July 17 2004,01:40)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"but there are a few RPGs coming out over the next year or so and there is the possibility that a couple might be good.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Since you don't seem too familiar with titles, here's a few: Baldur's Gate 2 (available now), Champions of Norrath (available now, but search hard), KOTOR 2 (later), Jade Empire (later). That should keep you busy.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Considering that Champions of Norrath is a PS2 RPG..... I don't think i needed to mention that for his question about Xbox RPGs. I did overlook Baldur's Gate 2 and i know there are a few RPGs coming out within the next year but you don't know they're going to be good until they're released that's why i said that there was a possibility that they'd be good.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"And if you own an Xbox, you have to play Halo.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I hate FPS' so all i can say about the game is that IMO it's highly overrated but as i said..... I am biased against the game.
    Facebook
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RyuzukiRyuzuki Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Can someone give me advice how to catch Whale in Breath of Fire 4 without using King Frog lure.It's kind of hard to find it.

• RyuzukiRyuzuki Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Anyone confused.gif
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Medge @ July 16 2004,17:46)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"ok thanks man, got another question now, in ff8 where do i get me some adamantine for squalls lionheart? i searched pretty much everywhere just runnin roung,usin mug, but i just dont get any.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    To get Adamantine, fight the Adamantoise on the beach west of Dollet. You will have to run around a bit because most of the time you fight these fish.

DON"T MUG - if you mug you get a Whisper. If you want Adamantine, you need to let the Adamantoise drop it. (Or maybe its the other way around)

If you are getting an item called Turtle SHells, then you are not a high enough level. The Adamantoise needs to be around level 20-30 to start dropping Adamantines.

Alternatively, you can play cards.
  • Options
    edited July 2004
    Can someone here help me, I need help with the PC version of Enclave. Every time I try to play it, I get this message MOS Exception report 0000 0001. Thank you.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Ryuzuki @ July 19 2004,07:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Can someone give me advice how to catch Whale in Breath of Fire 4 without using King Frog lure.It's kind of hard to find it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    A bit late, perhaps, but:

The whale only exists in one fishing spot, Ocean two, which is in the north-east part of the map. You need either a Spinner, Winder, Topper or Minnow as a lure. I don't know who told you to use the frog... you don't need it. At least, not from what I remember.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Vampire Hunter VVampire Hunter V Member Full Members
    edited July 2004
    Xenogears:

I just defeated the elements in the Anima Relic (Disc 2). Right now, I'm in a cave where I think I have to make a big jump to the other cliff, but I've tried and cannot make the jump. Is this the way to go? Or is there another way?

Persona 2:

I'm 7 hours into the game, and it rocks. My question is what should I aim for right now? Contacting as many demons and trying to get cards from them? Or fighting demons and leveling up my character stats?
  • DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited August 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Vampire Hunter V @ July 31 2004,09:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Xenogears:

I just defeated the elements in the Anima Relic (Disc 2). Right now, I'm in a cave where I think I have to make a big jump to the other cliff, but I've tried and cannot make the jump. Is this the way to go? Or is there another way?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Not remembering that level terribly well, most of the levels at that point were very linear. If you find a jump you are having a lot of trouble making, odds are pretty high that it's not actually a jump intended to take and there is another clearer root.

Dracos
  • sada the darksada the dark Member Full Members
    edited August 2004
    i need some help on grandia 2, i am at the "<span class="spoiler"> eyes of valmar </span>" and i just can't beat himthe people in my party are all in their 20s heres what he does to me the boss attacks my healer while "<span class="spoiler"> his little flying eyes he has</span>" picks off my other party members. if i try to bring them back my healer is dead which leaves that one person who is alive to fend for himself

got any advice?
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited August 2004
    What I like to do is focus on the eyes first and get those annoying things out of the way. Use strong magics that attack the whole enemy group. Melina's (?) Valmar attacks are effective, especially the mouth one. Have Ryudo focus his attacks on one eye-monster at a time. Cast Mareg's Lion's Roar to boost everyone's attack, then use his special skills. Roan's snowball attack is effective, and he is usally a good healer too.
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited August 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Considering that Champions of Norrath is a PS2 RPG..... I don't think i needed to mention that for his question about Xbox RPGs.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Oh, yeah...that was the one game of that batch that wasn't released for both Xbox and PS2. Brain fart.

Amusingly enough, I just bought it. biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I hate FPS' so all i can say about the game is that IMO it's highly overrated but as i said..... I am biased against the game.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

HERETIC!!

..wait. My love of Halo, and my hate of those who don't like it...well, not real hate, is a running gag at VB. It's not meant to offend. I'm just joking.
  • sada the darksada the dark Member Full Members
    edited August 2004
    Thanks for the advice now i can beat him
  • Options
    edited August 2004
    Does anyone here own the Korean PC Magna Carta game? If so were you able to get the game to work on English Windows 98? I use Win 98 and the game will not work, however I was told it?s because Win 98 English can?t support programs in any other language very well, with out doing dual boot. Yet the person telling me this was basing it off his experiences with Japanese games, and those who have Magna Carta know that during installation the game can be installed in English. So the problem may not be my Regional or Language Settings but another problem entirely. So were anyone here able to get the game to run on English Win 98? When I try to start the game I get this error....

Unknown Error ? CreateContext

Anyone know as to what that means? Thanks much for the help smile.gif
  • F.C.F.C. Banned Banned Users
    edited August 2004
    I need help with golden sun im in the light house in a room with a rainbow what do?
    edited August 2004
    FC:

You are not a new member. You can make a topic. Let's leave this area clean so that those who can't don't have their stuff buried.

Dracos
  • SpiritSpirit New Member Full Members
    edited August 2004
    Does anyone know an efficient way at gaining experience points in Chaos Legion. I already have Thanatos, but it's taking a while to level him up.
  • LateralusLateralus Member Full Members
    edited August 2004
    In Tales of Phantasia, what the heck is the Food Sack for? I've put a lot of food in it, yet I've never seen it in a menu or used it in any way. What's the point...?
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited August 2004
    It regenerates your HP while you're walking.
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    Hello.. has anyone here ever played Dragon Quest 5? (for Super Famicom) and played all the way through to the final boss? I have and I can't finsh the last boss off, his second form seems imortal..

No matter how many times I hit him, he dosen't die.. so.. does anyone here know if there is some trick to killing him?
    edited September 2004
    Yeah, he has at least twice as many hit points as the first form. I remember standard DQ boss tactics working just fine, though: use Barrier and Increase (and recast them when he wipes them out), then use Bikill on your fighters and start smashing. The hero and the son should both have some beefy healing spells, plus all your nifty reusable healing items. You could go capture a King Healer if you really needed HealUsAll, but you should be fine.
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    That's what I was thinking too..(which is actully what I was doing the whole time..)

I can say that I've done even four to five times the damage that I did to the first form.. (since I've used everything aganst the second form)anyway, I guess I'll keep trying.

There was one more thing.. something the last boss uses some of the time in the battle.. I don't know what it is.

The sound it makes is like a heal or cure spell and it flashes blue for a second.. I was thinking maybe the boss was healing itself.. but I can't tell (mainly because I can't understand most japanese text)

Anyway.. does anyone know what that is?
    edited September 2004
    Sounds like he's using Meditate, which restores 500 HP.
  • Options
    edited September 2004
    So that's it.. that's why he seems like he's immortal.. He IS healing himself.. I would call that cheap, but since I heal my characters that would be silly.

Anyway thanks for the info, that really helps me out.
    edited September 2004
    I'm sort of surprised as he didn't even particularly take that long when I fought him the other day. Other DW final bosses have taken far longer without giving a hint of going down. You could though just be getting a bad roll of it because, obviously, you can't really consistantly do 500 damage a round in that game (Though, if you plan well you can get pretty close) and if he's doing it every round it'd just be throwing yourself against a wall in that regard.

Dracos
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Sep. 12 2004,20:03)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm sort of surprised as he didn't even particularly take that long when I fought him the other day. ?Other DW final bosses have taken far longer without giving a hint of going down. ?You could though just be getting a bad roll of it because, obviously, you can't really consistantly do 500 damage a round in that game (Though, if you plan well you can get pretty close) and if he's doing it every round it'd just be throwing yourself against a wall in that regard.

Dracos[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Reminds me of the near impossibility of defeating Indalecio limiter-off in SO2......
    edited September 2004
    It took me about five minutes or so to go through both forms. It's not really remotely on that level.

Dracos
This discussion has been closed.