If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Newbie Help Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2004
    Oh, that's it. I'll look into it and try again. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    Thanks for the help. Found the firewall, and beat Star Ocean 3 just now. Time to go back to playing FFXI again..
  • OmegaWyvernOmegaWyvern New Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    sup everyone.. ive been checkin out ur guys' site for 2-3 years now but never signed up on teh forums before >.< well just introducin mah self i guess. im in l.a. county if u wanted to know
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    Welcome to the boards, but if you want to introduce yourself, there is the newbie introduction thread in the Misc forum smile.gif
  • Aaron ClustAaron Clust Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    how do you get your own avatar from another site
  • IsraelIsrael Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    Right-Click on the image you want, then choose Properties and copy the link. Then on your own avatar Paste the link on the option "choose your own avatar", confirm and done.
  • adiemusadiemus Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    Ack! Hot-linking bad! Make sure you either have permission from the site where you found the pic to link to it first or you upload the image to your own site (www.photobucket.com is good for this, and it's free.) If you're still unsure what to do, take a look under maryadavies sig, and you'll see a Newbie Help Guide that answers all the important questions.
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    I'm new to RPGs and I've been looking at the games coming out and I see Star Ocean 3, Tales of Symphonia, Suikoden IV, Final Fantasy XII, etc...

They're all sequels. Do I need to play these series in order? I don't think that's the case with FF, but is it the case with others. Any suggestions on which series I should play in order and which series don't require it would be greatly appreciated. Also, any recommendations on a game that MUST be played first so I can be cool in the RPG world? Console doesn't matter, thanks!

• Options
    edited December 2004
    Hi. I recently purchased FF7 to play for the first time. I've watched others play it many times, but now it's my turn. The problem is this: I'm playing it on my PS2, because I know you can play original PS games on the PS2...and I'm having no trouble playing FF7...however I am having trouble saving. My memory card is fine, and works for my other games without a problem. But it just won't let me save my game. Whenever I try to, it says there is no memory card, which is not the case. It works in everything else, just not for FF7. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I've been waiting some time to finally play it, only to be stopped short by some glitch.
  • adiemusadiemus Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    First thing, is the memory card a PS1 memory card? FF7 requires you to have a PS1 memory card, and the PS2 memory cards that work for regular PS2 games won't work for PS1 games. You'll need to go to Walmart, or wherever, and get a PS1 card, format it, and then you should be good to go.

edited December 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cliffius @ Dec. 11 2004,19:21)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm new to RPGs and I've been looking at the games coming out and I see Star Ocean 3, Tales of Symphonia, Suikoden IV, Final Fantasy XII, etc...

They're all sequels. Do I need to play these series in order? I don't think that's the case with FF, but is it the case with others. Any suggestions on which series I should play in order and which series don't require it would be greatly appreciated. Also, any recommendations on a game that MUST be played first so I can be cool in the RPG world? Console doesn't matter, thanks![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Not sure about Tales or Suikoden, since I am not a fan of them (I am sure fans will be along soon), but I have played Star Ocean and Final Fantasy.

You don't need to play Star Ocean 2, and the first Star Ocean never made it out of Japan. You do get a bit more from having played the previous Star Ocean, but it is not necessary. You don't really miss anything.

Final Fantasy - with the exception of FFX-2 and all the FF7 spin-offs, every Final Fantasy is a stand-alone story. They are sequels only in that they share that indescribable FF "flavour".

I think you should pick up an FF definately. However, which one is a huge debate on these boards. I would recommend FFX myself as it is the most recent stand-alone FF (Not counting Crystal Chronicals or FF11 - a MMORPG) FF is usually THE RPG, eh?

Star Ocean is good too, but beware, it can be buggy.

Xenosaga is good if you like more story and movie than gameplay. It is the first chapter of a planned 6-game series.

I am enjoying Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. It is a challenging game, but it may not be the best RPG to start off with.

So, I would pick up an FF first - go for FF7 or FFX.
  • Yo-Yo KirbyYo-Yo Kirby Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Not sure about Tales or Suikoden, since I am not a fan of them (I am sure fans will be along soon), but I have played Star Ocean and Final Fantasy.
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

The Suikoden series can be played out of order, and still be just as enjoyable, but fans of the earlier games will giggle like little girls when they see favorite characters returning from the first game.
    In my opinion, Suikoden I & II are the best. The third game was largely disliked because of its horrible battle system.
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    Thanks for the replies, I've been thinking between FFVII and FF Chronicles (I think that's the one w/ IV and Chrono Trigger) to start out with. I looked for suikoden I and II on ebay and decided against it. I'm not going to be $70 for it.
  • SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cliffius @ Dec. 16 2004,06:49)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm not going to be $70 for it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    70 bucks for either of the Suikoden's, especially the second, is CHEAP, mind you.
    Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    <div>
    (--Solon @ Dec. 16 2004,03:58)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (--Cliffius @ Dec. 16 2004,06:49)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'm not going to be $70 for it.</div>
    70 bucks for either of the Suikoden's, especially the second, is CHEAP, mind you.</div>
    That's insane.

• RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    Psh. It's what RPGs used to cost, back in the day. We scrimped and saved for Secret of Mana and we liked it.
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    <div>
    (--Cliffius @ Dec. 16 2004,15:14)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (--Solon @ Dec. 16 2004,03:58)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE"><div>
    (Cliffius @ Dec. 16 2004,06:49)</div><div class="QUOTEHEAD">QUOTE</div><div class="QUOTE">I'm not going to be $70 for it.</div>
    70 bucks for either of the Suikoden's, especially the second, is CHEAP, mind you.</div>
    That's insane.</div>
    I literaly had to FIGHT for mine.

edited December 2004
    Um... try your local video game store second hand bin. I KNOW I have seen some in my local EB going for about $50...
    edited December 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Gouden Draak @ Dec. 17 2004,05:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Um... try your local video game store second hand bin. I KNOW I have seen some in my local EB going for about $50...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Of course... without the manual.... or perhaps with broken packaging, or a poor disc. Yay.

Otherwise, grab that copy quick, because the people in that store obviously don't have a clue about what they're doing tounge.gif

• MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    And fight for it if you have to. tounge.gif
    edited December 2004
    I'll pass thanks, I'm afraid I never caught on with Suikoden. But my point is that some video stores don't know what they have, so it never hurts to look!

* just bought Shadowhearts 2 for $50 and Drakengard for $15.... CANADIAN money wow.gif *

• Options
    edited December 2004
    Where do i get the three ultimate pokemon in sapphire?
    edited December 2004
    Anywhere.
  • FF ShinobiFF Shinobi Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    I don't yet know Rico well enough to interpet that...

Really it depends on what you mean by "ultimate" there are two ledgendary Pokemon that wander the land, but You can only get one per version unless you got an Eon ticket from Nintendo Power or the like.

There is another Ledgendary atop
    a tower on the north side of the route east from Pacifidlog.

There are three pokemon with "regi" in their names, but for that you should check Gamefaqs.com becuase Its a rather long task to explain.

What I think Rico could have meant is that becuase of the element system there really is no "ultimate pokemon".
    A level 70 mewtwo can be easily trumped by a common pokemon as many as 15 levels below that. I've done it, you just need to match the ellements to your advantage and you will never lose.
  • JurhaelJurhael New Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    In Star Ocean 3, you get Albel by beating him in a dual. I've beaten him twice, but can't seem to get him to join. How many times do I have to beat him?

Or am I missing something?
    edited December 2004
    Guessing you're out of character slots.
  • Options
    edited December 2004
    I have FF8 on CDs (ISO), so I copied the ISOs on my computer and I have installed the game. But when I wanted to play, it requested the first CD in CD-ROM, and I want to play it with the ISOs on my computer. Is there anyone here to tell me how I can do that?

P.S. I forgot to say that I use Alcohol 120% to run ISOs.
    edited December 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (sarirodord @ Dec. 20 2004,19:08)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have FF8 on CDs (ISO), so I copied the ISOs on my computer and I have installed the game. But when I wanted to play, it requested the first CD in CD-ROM, and I want to play it with the ISOs on my computer. Is there anyone here to tell me how I can do that?

P.S. I forgot to say that I use Alcohol 120% to run ISOs.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Here's a tip: Buy the game.
    edited December 2004
    Solon: I rip most of my legally purchased games and run them off my hard drive. It can noticably increase performance as well as be less of a hassle.

sarirodord: You may have to look for a no-CD crack. There are mechanisms by which a game can tell you're not running off the original CD, and those will need to be disabled. It's probably better for everyone concerned, though, if you just pick up a cheap used copy of the PSX version and emulate it; the PC ports of Final Fantasy VII and VIII are dodgy.
  • keele864keele864 Member Full Members
    edited December 2004
    What part of SO3 are you on? Are you trying to get Albel permanently later in the game, or are you early in the game before you recruit him initially?

I got my copy of Suikoden I for $10 new at a Sears a few years ago, but it was the last copy and I doubt you can find it anywhere now.
This discussion has been closed.