If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Newbie Help Thread

Comments

• CCVCCV New Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"In Star Ocean 3, you get Albel by beating him in a dual. I've beaten him twice, but can't seem to get him to join. How many times do I have to beat him?

Or am I missing something?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

You need to have a spot 'aviliable' meaning unless you 'recruited' him after disk 1.. you can't get him unless you reject peppita's offer to join your team.

• DracosDracos Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Dec. 16 2004,08:41)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Psh. It's what RPGs used to cost, back in the day. We scrimped and saved for Secret of Mana and we liked it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    And that's when they didn't involve some new-fangled chip technology.

They'd just add a nice ten-fifteen to that price tag to cover their extra hardware costs.

Dracos
  • Sir ExodusSir Exodus New Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If you have less than 10 posts, obviously you're unable to create new topics, and thus, you may not be able to get help for a game that may not have a topic yet. Therefore, if you're a newbie with less than 10 posts, ask for game help here.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Here's a question...is there a significant point to that? I must assume that it's to drop down the whole "spammer" issue, but that's why you have mods/admins to begin with.

Not being able to create a topic until you have 10 posts is REALLY silly...specially since you can just post pointless stuff in random threads to get that post count anyway. (Such as what I'm doing now.)

I would much prefer to make my own topic on a subject in particular that isn't covered in a thread already so that I may better track it (as in, me not forget) versus some thread that literally just reeks off "hahaha, joo r teh n00b!".

Just my opinion.
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    There're a couple reasons for the limit. One is regarding spam, yes. There're a couple different facets to this. One is the power structure: Not every person with moderation abilities can delete a topic, while every person (to my knowledge) with moderation abilities can delete a post. Not every person with moderation abilities should be able to delete a topic. People with the higher moderation abilities are not always around immediately. Putting posts before topics reduces the potential disruption of the board. It also reduces the kinds of spam which are possible. Sure, people can plug their own stuff in existing topics, but it doesn't have the same draw as a new topic, and chances are, if someone's spamming threads, a person with moderation abilities will notice before they hit ten. People like that are not typically going to brute force it.

It also has to do with content issues. Apart from the rules, every message board has its own standards for average acceptability. On some boards, I would be ostracized for knowing where my Shift key is. On some boards, I would be ostracized for how casual my writing is. Having people contribute to already-existing conversation hopefully gives them a little bit of a primer on what style of writing, debate, and humor goes on here. You still get the occasional person who's incredulous that his mocking of your parentage and insulting of your preferences in games is somehow not all right, then tries to go back and add little, "j/k"s in vain, but it does work. I was around long before the post count limit. The community standards have been much better held to after it.
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"One is the power structure: Not every person with moderation abilities can delete a topic, while every person (to my knowledge) with moderation abilities can delete a post. ?Not every person with moderation abilities should be able to delete a topic. ?People with the higher moderation abilities are not always around immediately. ?Putting posts before topics reduces the potential disruption of the board. ?It also reduces the kinds of spam which are possible. ?Sure, people can plug their own stuff in existing topics, but it doesn't have the same draw as a new topic, and chances are, if someone's spamming threads, a person with moderation abilities will notice before they hit ten. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

o_O Well, isn't that just plain odd. lol Why grant someone with moderation abilities but umm...none of the abilities? XD

I understand that to some degree it is actually "wrong" to delete a whole thread in general, but in reference to spam control, it should be perfectly acceptable.

Also, if you think about it, 10 posts is actually nothing. Exspecially in a forum that has many sub devisions. (Yes, my spelling is horrid, just decypher. :-P)

All you really have to do is post something normal like "lol" or "Good point, Bob!" around the whole site and you'll get 10 posts in a matter minutes, at which point you may commence your "click here for a free i-pod!" topic in ANY forum of your choosing. This doesn't help prevent spam, this just clutters the forum as a whole.

I'd rather the human ad to just make his one topic, get banned, and leave, versus cluttering the whole forum with one-line responces simply to achive the 10 post count minimum.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"It also has to do with content issues. ?Apart from the rules, every message board has its own standards for average acceptability. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

A forum admin could set any standard that he wishes for a user to go from "newbie" to "member", and it's STILL doesn't make a difference. The rest of your post does, though:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"On some boards, I would be ostracized for how casual my writing is. ?Having people contribute to already-existing conversation hopefully gives them a little bit of a primer on what style of writing, debate, and humor goes on here. ?You still get the occasional person who's incredulous that his mocking of your parentage and insulting of your preferences in games is somehow not all right, then tries to go back and add little, "j/k"s in vain, but it does work. ?I was around long before the post count limit. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

What exactly determins your acceptance? Obviously, the admin isn't going to get grammar picky, since if he really wanted to do that, he could add a "spell checker" command to every post. The posters themselves are what makes the difference.

Admins could set an olympic track record that a poster as to meet or beat to be "accepted" by his lines of codes, but that doesn't mean the fellow posters will hold that poster in any regard whatsoever.

You, using you as an example, have obviously been around as a regular poster for quite some time. All of the newer posters try to mimic you for "acceptance." Why? Cause YOU set that standard as a regular. You, and everyone else who could be dubbed as a "senior" poster.

Again, take this like a grain of salt. smile.gif It's just my honest opinion...specially since I'm bitter. I wanted to make a post about a video game I would like a little help with and I can't...and I refuse to just post about it in an existing topic...yes, I'm also stubborn.

edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sir Exodus @ Jan. 18 2005,10:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"o_O Well, isn't that just plain odd. lol Why grant someone with moderation abilities but umm...none of the abilities? XD

I understand that to some degree it is actually "wrong" to delete a whole thread in general, but in reference to spam control, it should be perfectly acceptable.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I don't think you've really understood the relevant portion of my post. It is perfectly acceptable to delete spam threads. I've done it many times in the past, when I had the ability to do so. It's just not particularly desirable for every person with some level of power to have all levels of power. Moderation does not entail deleting threads, therefore moderators do not have--to my knowledge--the power to delete threads, therefore, putting restrictions on thread posting distributes the workload in a desirable way.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also, if you think about it, 10 posts is actually nothing. Exspecially in a forum that has many sub devisions.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    10=0. Math revolutionized.
    Really, though, that's the point. It's not meant to be a barrier in that way. People who want to one-shot post eBay auctions, or those iPod links are really not all that likely to go to the bother of making those ten worthless posts. Sure, one gets through every now and again, but for the most part, people that want to post those will go to a more populated place without any such restriction. There are many.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"A forum admin could set any standard that he wishes for a user to go from "newbie" to "member", and it's STILL doesn't make a difference. The rest of your post does, though:[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I know. The idea is that, by only being able to reply to existing threads, the newbie is more likely to actually read a post by a staff member, or by me, or by Desh, or by LiQuid! (God forbid!), or by any of the other, "regular," posters and go, "Oh, okay. That's kind of what goes on here." Sometimes it doesn't happen. Oh well. "Inappropriate," posts were becoming a big problem a while back. It increased the workload for the board staff, and the membership was increasingly complaining about it. This system, although not perfect, does an awfully good job of fixing the problems that we were having while only creating occasional, minor problems like this one. It's sometimes said that perfect is the enemy of good. This isn't perfect. Everyone knows that, or should. It works well enough for what it's intended, though.
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Obviously, the admin isn't going to get grammar picky, since if he really wanted to do that, he could add a "spell checker" command to every post. The posters themselves are what makes the difference.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Because I'm just this kind of jerk, especially when posting from work: a) He couldn't, really, because this board is kludged together something fierce. b) A spell checker wouldn't do much to appease someone who's primarily concerned with poor grammar. c) Trifecta!
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Again, take this like a grain of salt. smile.gif It's just my honest opinion...specially since I'm bitter. I wanted to make a post about a video game I would like a little help with and I can't...and I refuse to just post about it in an existing topic...yes, I'm also stubborn.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Honestly, I appreciate it. While I no longer have a leadership position here, I rather obviously want the community to do well. The rules exist primarily to further the community. You've brought up some good points. Ultimately, if someone takes a good, hard look at a policy and it doesn't do what it's supposed to, or causes some other problem that's not desirable, it needs to go. Having new or old board members periodically gripe about rules, policies, or (lack of) features is good, and necessary for a healthy community.
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sir Exodus @ Jan. 18 2005,10:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The standards of acceptance here among the forumers is generally respect for others and decent writing.

Notably, I'd suggest that having to spend a little time addressing other's thoughts and listening before entering your own into the mix pushes that mindset.

Dracos
    Two cents and a nickels change.
    edited January 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Dracos @ Jan. 18 2005,12:22)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Dracos
    Two cents and a nickels change.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Holy cows! That's almost.....3/4 more than what anything I say offers!

You must be one of dem rich peoples, ya? laugh.gif
    edited January 2005
    But yet, he mocks me for paying for World of Warcraft.

Rico
    "Partially because I proclaim it instead of writing for his section."
  • Big BossBig Boss New Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    Wild arms 3 arms faq

regarding the arms in wild arms 3, what is the best setup for the whole party. any recommendations? thanks.
  • Big BossBig Boss New Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    no reply from anybody.... thats sad... sad.gif
    edited January 2005
    Not everyone checks this forum daily.

And those who do don't always know the answer to every question, especially one for a game that'd be a year or two old by now and involves how to twink the chars.

Dracos
  • PhospheneHereticPhospheneHeretic Member Full Members
    edited January 2005
    If you're having that many problems with setup, go check out gamefaqs. I know their Wild ARMs 3 boards and faq list have strategies for the characters.
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    Hi, i really need some help with: Star Ocean Till the End of Time.

So here it goes:

Im kinda stuck in the game. I am on Elicoor II The 17th century planet, im in the Airglyph Aqueducts, and i just defeated some big boss monster. But after i defeated the boss, i was standing in a room almost covered with ice. The problem is that no matter where i try to step on the ice, i always end up breaking it, and falling into the water. Therefore i cannot reach the other side.

Plz help me, and in advance thx.
  • Options
    edited March 2005
    Its me again.

I just want to say, that no reply for the other post is required. I just found out how to walk in the game, which pretty much got me over the ice...... And thats five minutes after me posting.... Now aint that just mother****ing typpical?

Well anyway, i jsut thought that it was my responsibillity to let you know, so you wouldent waste your time answering.
  • ArdeArde Member Full Members
    edited March 2005
    Another horribly wrong thread to post what to buy?
    ...for shame...

Oh well...

edited March 2005
    ... Actually, a double-post in a horribly incorrect thread. Answer denied.

• Options
    edited May 2005
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kamikaze @ Aug. 23 2003,21:07)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"If you have less than 10 posts, obviously you're unable to create new topics, and thus, you may not be able to get help for a game that may not have a topic yet. Therefore, if you're a newbie with less than 10 posts, ask for game help here.

Just as a forewarning, if I see you ask for game help in a thread that has nothing to do with the game you're asking about, I'll berate you and direct you to this thread.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Hey i have a question about FIRE emblem how do you steal what doyou use ok thanks
  • FiremystFiremyst Daddy Dragon II Full Members
    edited May 2005
    Stealing is a skill. If there is something you can Steal from someone adjacent to your Thief/Rogue, it will appear as an option.
    Founder, RPGamer
    I love tweeting -- follow me @ http://www.twitter.com/mtidwell
  • ShivanShivan Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    Ok, just to test my avatar picture tounge.gif, since i am a newbie.

and to my fellow rpg fans: Hey!!!!

if i made english error, sorry, i am french, but ill try my best h?h
    edited June 2005
    Shivan:

This forum is for Game Help. Please do not make posts just to test avatars.

Dracos
  • Options
    edited June 2005
    Well, Since I cant start a new post to ask this very important question, I figure I will have to ask it here...

I looked at that cool slime adventure on the main page, and I was wondering where I can pick up some of those slimes cause they are just SO COOL and I havent been able to find em anywhere!!!

Thanks biggrin.gif
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited June 2005
    They were given out by Square at E3. Nowhere you can buy one, although LiQuid! was able to get one on Ebay...

• Options
    edited June 2005
    Uh, Oh, thats trouble...

Let the quest for the slimes begin! If anyone can find somewhere to pick em up, please let me know!
  • CloudANDTidusCloudANDTidus Member Full Members
    edited July 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(jedd999 @ Jun. 10 2005,06:54)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Well, Since I cant start a new post to ask this very important question, I figure I will have to ask it here...

I looked at that cool slime adventure on the main page, and I was wondering where I can pick up some of those slimes cause they are just SO COOL and I havent been able to find em anywhere!!!

Thanks biggrin.gif[/QUOTE]
    You could try eating lots of slugs and visiting the toilot in hope a slime will come out the other side.

Better check if the RSPCA cover slugs first though....
  • IsraelIsrael Member Full Members
    edited August 2005
    Urrrghh!!! That is SO gross...

Dammit, I think I am going to...

*runs to the bathroom*
  • CloudANDTidusCloudANDTidus Member Full Members
    edited August 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Israel @ Aug. 01 2005,17:02)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Urrrghh!!! That is SO gross...

*runs to the bathroom*[/QUOTE]
    You don't want to hear my ardvark story then.....
  • Gouden DraakGouden Draak Member Full Members
    edited August 2005
    <table border="0" align="center" width="90%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td colspan="2">(Israel @ Aug. 01 2005,17:02)</td></tr><tr><td width="10" id="QUOTEHEAD">Q
    U
    O
    T
    E</td><td class="QUOTE"Urrrghh!!! That is SO gross...

*runs to the bathroom*[/QUOTE]
    Looking for slimes??? rock.gif
  • IsraelIsrael Member Full Members
    edited August 2005
    No, I actually went to throw up (and I rarely do).
  • MarinkMarink Member Full Members
    edited August 2005
    I need help on the legendary Dragon Warrior Monsters 2. Warabou(or whatever) is blocking the hole in the ground and told me to use a key to another world to find a suitable plug. The only problem is... It has been so long since I last last(repeated word intentional) played it, that I have completely forgotten which key that was. A little help please?
This discussion has been closed.