If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

KOTOR Conundrum

SeverenceSeverence MemberFull Members
edited October 2004 in General Help & Advice
I just acquired KOTOR for XBox less than a week ago (finally) and I've been working my way through the game. However, I came across a problem a little bit ago that's a mite irritating. I checked the boards and didn't see anything listed about this so I figured a thread was in order.

Ok, the situation involves Tanis Venn's droid issue on Tatooine just outside Anchorhead in the Dunes. Three of the four I blew through no sweat. The problem lies with the fourth. The droid in question is the one with Target Acquisition/Group Integrity failure. My problem isn't which answer is the correct one, I figured that out by process of elimination (if at all possible I refuse to look up a walkthrough from sites like Gamefaqs, it's more fun doing it on my own). My question lies in the process of getting the answer.

Now, math, logic, sequencing, etc. happen to be some of my largest strengths, so usually I don't have much difficulty working something like this out. So being the huge numbers nerd that I am I worked on a formula that would fit the correct answer (or at least one of the answers) for...well a while. I tried a whole slew of ways to figure out the number progression but I'm completely stumped. Could do with the fact that I haven't slept much in the past few days. But I digress.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be good enough to post the procedure for getting that answer. While I don't need it to progress in the game anymore it's going to bother me until I figure it out. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Oh, by the way, the first person who puts up the answer gets a cookie. ?Hooray for incentive. biggrin.gif

Comments

• PhatosePhatose Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's the sequence of prime numbers.

If it's the other one, it's tricky. To get the sequence of numbers, count them number of times each digit appears in the previous number, then put that number in front of it. 31-13-12-14 has 2 threes, 4 ones, 1 two, and 1 four, so it produces 23-41-12-14.

• SeverenceSeverence Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    First off, the prime number one was easy, one of the three that took me a combined .348 seconds combined to complete. So yeah, it was the other one.

Secondly, wow. Thanks a lot for that quick response Phatose, thanks a sextillion. I can't believe how easy that is, so easy it's hard really.

Whenever I go to sleep I won't be up for 2 hours thinking of that now. And more importantly, you correctly answered my question first, so you get a cookie!

To redeem your prize, go to your nearest available kitchen, turn toward the pantry/cupboard/snack compartment, find a cookie, and bask in the revelry of your success! (Prohibited in Hawaii)
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    It would probably have been faster if you used repair parts instead, but that's coming from a guy who'd rather use items and force than solve math problems....
  • SeverenceSeverence Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    True. Though I'm one of those rare people who actually likes math. And I'm a fiend for saving computer spikes and such if possible. Not to mention that every game I play I go through and do (if possible) everything in the game there is to do on the first run. That's probably most true in FF7, 10 times through doing everything, sans cheating/Gameshark. I'll end up going through this game at least a second time and going dark side (doing lighty this first run-thru).
  • MeoTwister5MeoTwister5 Member Full Members
    edited September 2004
    I once accidentaly tripped the system alarms on the droids, inadvertedly killing the poor bastard......
  • Nomi SunriderNomi Sunrider Member Full Members
    edited October 2004
    Wow. ?I had been wondering the same thing too about that particular math problem. ?And it was so simple once you know it! ?Thanks for enlightening us, Phatose! ?You know, you've gotta love a game that gives you a chance to do something educational! ?It's more fun than just using security spikes in my opinion, even though I'm generally a person who hates math! ?Plus, kids can tell their parents, "Don't come in, Mom and Dad, I'm doing math right now!" and not be lying... sort of. tounge.gif