The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

FFX-2 Boss Battle, help!

KingdomCloud44KingdomCloud44 MemberFull Members
edited January 2004 in General Help & Advice
1)I'm in besaid and I can't defeat the aeon Valfor.
I'm at level 25...any suggestions?

2)I got Yuna and Rikku's special dress sheres but I have no idea how to use them...Can you help?

Comments

• CainEJWCainEJW Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Ok see your topic? HUGE spoiler. Very large and deserves an editing, which it will get.

As for your question, Valefor is beaten by physicals. Use Black Knights and possibly a White Lore or Valiant Lustre and Ragnarok Accessory on one of the girls(Yuna)...then you can Darkness like mad and heal every turn without losing MP. Also gain levels. You should be in the upper 30s, lower 40s in story level 3, not the mid 20s.

Second one, there's a tutorial on them, but you have to use every sphere on your grid, then press L1 again when you get to the in-battle change screen. All of them should change t the special sphere. If it's not L1 it's another L/R button.

Please watch the spoilers next time.

• KingdomCloud44KingdomCloud44 Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Thanks CainEJW...I'll try that.
    Anyone have any Idea where you can get Black Knight dress spheres...Cause I don't have any of that stuff you said Cain.

• SolonSolon Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Seriously, all you need to beat Valefor is to hold down the X button until he dies. You don't need Dark Knight, and you most certainly don't need the Ragnarok accessory, which is impossible to have at that time, except if you're playing newgame+.

The only type of healing I've used (ever, in any area of the game, including the entire Via infinito) are phoenix downs, and stash-mega-potion with the Alchemist. Try the later one on Valefor if it helps, but I doubt you'll need it.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I really don't see how this boss can be a problem for anyone.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate.
    edited December 2003
    Solon his level is a HUGE problem. He's level 23, and thats rather low for the aeons.

I suggest you pull out of Besaid and go to Zanarkand or Bevelle, or even the Calm Lands. Put on a Lure Bracer and walk around. If you beat Shinra for Lady Luck in an earlier game then get the double experience skill up to mastered and use it.

Dark Knight/Black Knight is found under Bevelle before you reach the Vegnagun dwelling. You should see a chest off to your left. You have to lower the ladders to get it.

To do that...and I hope I get this right...

Take the left lift up, press down and drop down. Take the center lift, press the button, go back down. Take the right lift, run across and take the left lift back down. Take the center lift again, press the second button, back down. Take the left lift back up, press the two buttons to release the center lift. Go down, look to the left of the long blocks you use to get across. You should see a makeshift bridge. Jump across, and there you have it.

edited December 2003
    Thanks I'll try that as well...maybe with some luck.
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Solon @ Dec. 29 2003,03:25)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Seriously, all you need to beat Valefor is to hold down the X button until he dies. You don't need Dark Knight, and you most certainly don't need the Ragnarok accessory, which is impossible to have at that time, except if you're playing newgame+.

The only type of healing I've used (ever, in any area of the game, including the entire Via infinito) are phoenix downs, and stash-mega-potion with the Alchemist. Try the later one on Valefor if it helps, but I doubt you'll need it.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but I really don't see how this boss can be a problem for anyone.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Could it possibly be because she loves to use Energy Ray and Energy Blast every two seconds, and I hadn't learned the Alchemist's oh-so-expensive abilities to make life easy the first time I played? I didn't die against any of the aeons, but some of them certainly gave me some trouble.

Of course, that first time around, I didn't go through every single area of the game every chapter before going to a single hotspot, so you'll have to forgive the way I decided to enjoy my game.
    edited December 2003
    I found the best way to play the first two chapters is to land in Luca and walk the rest of the way through Spira. I was level 20 by the end of Ch 1, by mid chapter 2 was in the 30s.
  • Admiral GodunovAdmiral Godunov Member Full Members
    edited December 2003
    Huh, I still don't have Alchemist or Lady Luck, and I wasn't level 39, and I still beat it. ?eh.gif ?I was like, level 31 and I had use of only 1 dressphere. The second time through, I only used Berserker at a slightly higher level. (But that's only because I actually did the non-linear missions the second time through.) With Berserker and even regular Warrior, you should have plenty of HP to do the battle. It hit me for only about 150 damage regular, and about 300 with it's overdrive. I just High Potioned for a round, then got back in the action mashing on Attack. But, level up, at least to level 32 or higher. smile.gif

Edit: Found out I had that save on a backup memory card, I was at level 26 smile.gif

edited January 2004
    Thanks for the help.....I'll try everything.
    I tried to fight Yojimbo and failed miserably.
    *sigh*Oo well.
  • S E P H I R O T HS E P H I R O T H Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    Try to have around 40 to 50 Hi-potions and 99 regular potions... Having alot of potions really helps, lol. wink.gif
    edited January 2004
    Even I had problems with Yojimbo...the best thing to do is find your niche with him. Make sure you have anti-poision on, and dedicate Yuna to healing the other two...then when he uses Zantetsu, I usually throw out a phoenix with whoever survived, then that person will throw one to the next and the first will heal themselves...it takes about two rounds to get back up, and if you're good enough the dog shouldn't be able to hit.

Also, any MP reducing accessory is a great help.

Just find a good rhythm with Yojimbo with attacking twice and hitting. He'll get in a good 7-8 Zantetsu before he goes down. Just survive them and dedicate Paine and Rikku to attacking while Yuna heals with potions.

My first playthrough was...

Paine, Rikku, Yuna as Dark Knights (great def and attack)

Paine - anything + Atk, Star Pendant... get her attack enough and you'll be beating Yojimbo senseless

Rikku - anything + speed (Haste Bangle, etc), Star Pendant...throwing haste on Rikku makes things somewhat easier in terms of response. Luckily Yojimbo isn't a fast boss.

Yuna - White Lore (or anything + White Magic) with a mastered White Mage + Star Pendant. Yuna is a magic user all the way, so putting a class with high Defenses and then putting magic on her makes her a nice double threat.

Then I would Attack with YRP until Zantetsu. You can actually tell what attack he's about to use by his hand placement...if he shifts back to attack for a turn, Zantetsu is coming so be ready with all heals...Hi-Potions are ideal.

Then attack until Zantetsu again, if a girl gets knocked out, then use Yuna's white magic (if your mage is mastered, you have no wait time). If your mage isn't mastered, then just get to Cura or Curaga and if someone dies, throw a Phoenix Down.

Your turns should end up going....

All attack, All attack, All attack, Zantetsu and you should be ready for this by seeing him shift back...so save the actions of the three girls if you see it...so you can throw potions...then back to the beginning.

FFX-2 is about timing, battle wise. If you have a keen eye, you can destroy everything. Every monster has a tale-tell sign for their attack...some are significant (Yojimbo shifting back) while others really aren't (Valefor just flies higher). Just have to keep an eye out for it.
    edited January 2004
    Thanks Clain that helps alot.
    I finally bet Valfor now on to the task on defeating Irifit.
    Seesh, Should I use Black Mafe on him?
    Also any tips on the dumb Ronso Dudes?
    edited January 2004
    Never use black mage. If you think magic is a good idea, put on a black lore if you have one.

As for the Ronso, use Black Knight Yuna with a white lore to dispel his stat boots.
  • DeshDesh Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I actually found Yojimbo pretty easy. Aside from Zanmato, he doesn't deal much damage. Have your characters equipped with Star Pendants to counter poison. Have one of your characters be a white mage, preferably with the Protect spell already learned. The other two should be powerful fighters - it doesn't really matter what ones, though Berserkers and Dark Knights are always good. The trick to this battle is to cast Protect first - it'll shield two of his four attacks. The two fighters should always pound on Yojimbo, timing their attacks to delay his, preferably. The white mage should ALWAYS use Pray, and if you have accessories that raise the Magic stat, put your strongest one on her. Yojimbo's physical attacks won't do much damage, especially when you're Protected, and delaying his attacks will buy you plenty of time to recover just enough from Zanmato using Pray. You'll be on the edge of death for most of the battle, but you'll never actually die.
    edited January 2004
    Yah, Okay.
    I beat Ifirit, Shiva, and Ixion.Oo and the Ronso.They were easy once I got Berserkers.
    I'm in Chapter 5 now...at level 38, 39, 40.
    Those dumb Magus sister are a pain in the .......!
    I can't seem to beat them.
    Any help on this matter?
    edited January 2004
    Could someone give me a good place to level up in chapter 5? That'd be greatly appreciated. smile.gif
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (S E P H I R O T H @ Jan. 04 2004,13:56)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Could someone give me a good place to level up in chapter 5? That'd be greatly appreciated. ?smile.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The hidden dungeon in the Thunder Plains. After that, the Abyss of the Farplane.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
    edited January 2004
    Isn't the hidden dungeon in TP that place you fought Zalamander?
  • Slayer of GodSlayer of God Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (S E P H I R O T H @ Jan. 04 2004,14:29)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Isn't the hidden dungeon in TP that place you fought Zalamander?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Not that one. The one with all the machina in it where you rescue Cid. After you stop the Rhyos and the Humbaba attacking the Lightning Rod Towers in chapter 5, an Al Bhed will inform you of a hole he found near one of the Towers.

The machina inside are usually worth around 1,000 experience points a fight. It depends on what group of enemies you encounter.
    Within the spreading darkness, I pledged a vow to the revolution.
  • SinSin Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Those dumb Magus sister are a pain in the .......!
    I can't seem to beat them.
    Any help on this matter?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I've tried a few things, but the only thing I've had much luck with is the Dark Knights. Two DKs doing nothing but Darkness, and maybe a Black Sky or two, and a White Mage. Very first thing, cast protect AND shell. Then, just pound away with Darkness, keep your healing up, and they're dead in no time.
    And if you have the Ragnarok and/or the Wring, put it/them on your mage for a painfully easy fight.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Also gain levels. You should be in the upper 30s, lower 40s in story level 3, not the mid 20s.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Solon his level is a HUGE problem. He's level 23, and thats rather low for the aeons.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    On my first ever run of the game, I had never even seen a FAQ on it, and I went into the final dungeon at level 41 and mopped the floor with everything in there, save the Dahaka. The minimum recommended level for that area is 65, according to the official guide...
    Levels aren't as much of a big deal in X-2 as they are in many other games. They help, but your jobs, abilities, grids and accessories make the real difference. If something whopps you, equip things that will ward off damage from it. Worked for me when I faced the Black Elemental. He killed me three times before I found a combo that worked nicely, and when I did he was a wussy.
    Walken1.jpg
    edited January 2004
    I can't seem to beat that Humbaba in Thunder Pains.
    He freakin keeps killing me I tried Dark Knights but they take too long to attack and I tried Berserker and that didn't help either. I have Yuna as White Maeg but he just kills her off.
    It's starting to p1ss me off.
    edited January 2004
    That gave me some problems as well, but luckily, I was only killed once... I used two dark nights(Yuna & Paine) and a berserker(Rikku), and equipped things that boosted HP and STR. Just have high HP and pretty high STR, no less than 100. Heal often as well.

edited January 2004
    Oo koay that might work...I'll try.
  • Henshin_HeathHenshin_Heath Member Full Members
    edited January 2004
    I beat this game once and never played it again.....
    edited January 2004
    For Humbaba, equip a thunder reducing accessory on each girl, and be sure to cast protect at the beginning of battle. The only thing you'll have to worry about is his uppercut thing, but that's what the protect is for.
    When you think he's getting low on HP, cast shell before you finish him off, so that meteor doesn't wipe you out.
    Walken1.jpg
    edited January 2004
    He uses a meteor attack when his life is low?
    Seesh, I'm going to have fun betting him.
    I'll try anything though.
    edited January 2004
    He uses meteor when he dies as a final attack. As long as you're at full health and have shell up, you'll be fine.
    Walken1.jpg
    edited January 2004
    Not exactly true. However, you can be guarenteed staying alive if you have a Blue Gunner. Meteor, I believe, is a blue bullet and when it hits the gunner it will miss(I THINK) and you'll live and learn it.

Other than that...Dark Knight with defensive Accessories are a very good idea. Even at 255 DEF he still put my level 80 Paine in the red zone after meteor.
    edited January 2004
    It's not a Blue Bullet attack, just regular Black Magic, as far as I know.
    Also, my level 30 White Mage with a Wring survived just fine, if a little in the yellow. o_O
    Walken1.jpg
    edited January 2004
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (CainEJW @ Jan. 06 2004,07:34)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Not exactly true. However, you can be guarenteed staying alive if you have a Blue Gunner. Meteor, I believe, is a blue bullet and when it hits the gunner it will miss(I THINK) and you'll live and learn it.

Other than that...Dark Knight with defensive Accessories are a very good idea. Even at 255 DEF he still put my level 80 Paine in the red zone after meteor.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Blue gunner? Where do you get that?