The RPGamer Forums will be closing on May 2, 2021.

FFVIII know-it-all, right here!

little tigerlittle tiger MemberFull Members
edited December 2003 in General Help & Advice
Alrighty, I'm this board's self-proclaimed expert on FFVIII. Need help refining cards? Want to defeat Omega Weapon without invincibility? Need all evidence of Ultimecia's true identity? Just ask! smile.gif

Comments

• SinSin Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Need all evidence of Ultimecia's true identity? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Do tell. I've heard differing opinions.
    And while your at it. Explain how is Ellone related to Squall. I've seen people that just don't seem to get it.
    Walken1.jpg
  • little tigerlittle tiger Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sin @ Feb. 05 2003,08:28)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Explain how is Ellone related to Squall. I've seen people that just don't seem to get it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Gladly. "<span class="spoiler">Ellone was a little girl from Winhill. When Adel started looking for a successor, Elle's parents were killed, but Elle escaped somehow. Only two years old, she was adopted by the girl next door, Raine Leonhart. Two years later, Laguna Loire was found half-dead just outside of Winhill, and after being nursed by Rained he came to live in the now-vacant house where Elle used to live. Laguna and Raine got married, Elle saw them as her parents. Elle got kidnapped by Adel. Laguna went to Esthar to save her, not knowing that Raine was pregnant. Laguna defeated Adel and became leader of Esthar. He sent Elle back to Winhill, telling her he'd be there soon. Elle witnessed the birth of Raine's baby. However, Raine died in the process, and Elle and Squall (the baby) were sent to an orphanage. This was most likely decided by Laguna, since he'd been there before while searching for Elle. As the kids grew up, and more children got to live in the orphanage, Elle became somwhat of an older sister to them. Squall was very attached to Elle, because she was the closest thing to family. Ergo, he called her 'Sis'. This is why some people seem to think that Squall and Elle are blood-related. After a few years, Elle moved to the White SeeD ship, so that no one would be able to find her. Squall became a SeeD cadet, and most of his memories were erased by the GF. He always remembered searching for his Sis, but couldn't even remember her name by the beginning of the game. I'm sure you all know the rest of the story. </span>"

I'm having a monster of a headache right now, so I'll explain the stuff about Ulti later...
    edited February 2003
    "<span class="spoiler">This was most likely decided by Laguna, since he'd been there before while searching for Elle.</span>"

He couldn't have done it, since he didn't know what had happened there. He got back and "<span class="spoiler">found out that Raine had died, and Ellone was sent away, but he never knew Squall existed.</span>" At least thats what I thought. I really must play through that one again.
    Walken1.jpg
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""<span class="spoiler">Laguna: "Raine dies, and Elle was sent to the orphanage. If I had only gone to Winhilll with Elle...I would've been able to see Raine one last time. Raine was dead. Ellone, missing. My job kept me busy."</span>"
    [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

So yup, you're right. My bad.

• Ben_toejamBen_toejam New Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    linux.giflinux.gif

Hey I dont play ff games but my mate does any1 into fps games here ? confused.gif
  • TrueGamerTrueGamer Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Hey I dont play ff games but my mate does any1 into fps games here ?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

We focus on FF games a lot and other rpgs; if you don't play rpgs, I recommend you visit another website. There is a thread, however, for FPS games in the All Games forum.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Need all evidence of Ultimecia's true identity?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Her true identity? Man, I must have really hated FF8 if I don't seem to remember anything about it. I'd love to know this!

NOTE TO LITTLE TIGER: You need to clean out your personal messanger. I can't PM you!

edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (TrueGamer @ Feb. 06 2003,11:59)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Need all evidence of Ultimecia's true identity?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Her true identity? Man, I must have really hated FF8 if I don't seem to remember anything about it. I'd love to know this![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    By popular demand (and still with a mother of a headache), here's what some gamers think to be Ultimecia's true identity. I support this theory. We actually had a thread (or two) about this a while ago, but I suppose people eventually lost interest. Anyway, most of this 'evidence' is what I heard from other people, but I came up with a few things myself too. Please note that Square never said this to be the truth-- but then again, they also refuse to say anything about, say, Squally's parents... and we all know the truth about that one.

"<span class="spoiler">Is it possible, and in my opinion likely, that Sorceress Ultimecia is in fact none other than Rinoa Heartilly. While this may seem farfetched at first, it actually makes a lot of sense. The main reason why people like to believe this is to explain the strange Deus Ex Machina that Ulti seems to be. Many FFs have those; ultimate villains that don't show up until very late in the plot. Necron and Zemus come to mind, or the Dark Cloud. The only difference is that Ulti actually seems to have plot significance.

Ulti lives in the future, and wants to kill SeeDs. Why? No reason given, really. SeeDs are trained to kill the Sorceresses, or protect them if they're not evil. All we know of Ulti is, that she wants to be the Ultimate Sorceress. She wants to have the powers of every Sorceress that ever lived. To achieve this, she must travel back in time. When she learned of Junction Machine Ellone, Odine's invention, she used it to send her conciousness into the past. She possessed Edea. So far so good.

Now for something completely diffferent. Edea is at least 40 years old, but does not seem to have aged at all. From this, we can conclude that Sorceresses do not age. This makes sense, since they cannot die until they've passed their powers on to another woman. This means that when Rinoa, Sorceress, and Squall, Knight, choose to spend the rest of their lives together, Squall will eventually die of old age, leaving Rinoa behind.

In FFVIII, the Solomon's Ring bears the GF Doomtrain. It is possible that Squall's ring bears the Griever. When the gamer is asked to enter a name for the GF Griever, it's very clear that you're in fact naming the ring. Squall gave his ring to Rinoa. She still has it in the ending scene, even though she promised to return it to Squall. Ultimecia has Griever. This may be a strange coincidence, but knowing Square, it's all part of a Big Secret.

So, Squall has died of old age, Rinoa is all alone. She still has Griever, though. Since Ulti is able to junction Griever, we can safely conclude that she found a way to release it from the ring. GFs eat braaaains. Since Rinoa didn't have much brains to begin with... (*gets mauled by rabid Rinoa fans*) *cough* I mean, since Rinoa is a very emotional and sensitive person, it was only a matter of time until Griever would take away most of her memories, until she only knew one thing: Find Squall.

And finding Squall is easy enough. After all, they had promised to meet on the flower field. But since he obviously isn't there, Rinny/Ulti insteads opts to build a castle directly next to the orphanage, to wait for her beloved. When she eventually gets tired of waiting, she knows she has to get back to the past somehow, to find Squally. After all, to quote Ulti: "Time... it will not wait... no matter... how hard you hold on.... it escapes you...."

The only way to get back to the past is to use Ellone. Ellone can initiate Time Compression, which will give Ulti enough strength to have an actual physical body in the past. This is why Ulti spends most of the game searching for Elle. Also, a Sorceress needs a Knight. Rinoa/Ulti remembers a boy she met when she was 16, who had a ROMANTIC dream of being a Knight. And so, Seifer went up a few ranks.

After Ulti is defeated in the future, she realizes her only hope is to create a time loop. In Time Compression, the only way to get to a place is to think of where/when you want to be. Rinoa wants to be at the flower field, with Squall... but doesn't have the strength. "Reflect on you childhood...." she says, hoping Squally will end up in the Orphanage, so that she can, y'know, hitch a ride on his memories. Which she does. She ends up at the orphanage 13 years ago, dying, desparate. She gives her powers to Edea and dies.

And that's the key to it all. Ulti gives powers to Edea. Edea gives powers to Rinoa. Rinoa becomes Ulti. Ulti possesses Edea. Repeat. It's a time loop, and somehow it manages to be even more confusing than FFI.

"But, isn't Rinny-chan the female lead?"
    -go watch Sailor moon or something.

"Now, seriously. If Rin is Ulti, why does Ulti want to kill Squall?"
    -Because she has amnesia. Everyone in this game does. It IS a plot point, and has caused the chara to do all sorts of wacky stuff. Like, y'know, try to kill their Matron and such.

"So, which part of this didn't you copy from other people's websites? Is there anything you discovered by yourself?"
    -everything about Elle, Seifer, and the time loop, basically.

"Cool. Can I ask a question about Triple Triad now?"
    -Please, please do. Plot questions are nice, but I've just spend 45 minutes typing all this.

"Aww... still have a headache?"
    ...yes.
    </span>"

I'm 100% sure I left out some important parts. Feel free to tell me if I did anything wrong, but for the love of monkeys, please don't discuss this here. Use the FF section for that ?smile.gif

• The Big BangThe Big Bang Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Little Tiger I have a question!!!!

Recently Desh started the no-junction game. I decided I would give it a try as well. Basically, it's a lot harder than it seems, I was wondering if you have tried it, and if you have any tips.. Also wondering if there is any other way to get pulse ammo besides refining from energy crystals?
  • Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    oooo u can mug energy crystals from behemoth's!!!!! if i do remember correctly. And little tiger i love you.....all right so i guess im just very happy how you just like made me realize alll this awesome stuff about the game and love it so much more!!!! Welll i hope your headache gets better confused.gif
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"oooo u can mug energy crystals from behemoth's[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

See that's the problem, in the no-junction game, I can only attack confused.gif I was wondering if any enemy just dropped them?
  • Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"See that's the problem, in the no-junction game, I can only attack I was wondering if any enemy just dropped them?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

One - you can't Mug an Energy Crystal from a Behemoth. They yield Barriers to intrepid muggers.

Next - yes, Elynoyle's drop Energy Crystals. They're easily the most efficient way to get them, as the other enemies that drop them are T Rexaurs and Red Dragons, and it's rare. And the best thing is - there's a fixed Elynoyle fight in "<span class="spoiler">Esthar City, after the Lunar Cry. Take the Ragnarok to the Airstation, turn left when leaving the Airstation and go through that healing/save point. On the next screen should be a three-way intersection of those lift things, with a small pathway running beside the middle one. Take the path and take the right street on the next screen. The 'man' in black you see is actually an Elynoyle! Just leave the screen and come back and it will respawn!</span>" Careful though - you can't run from a fixed fight and in a No Junction game it might be tough. Assuming your levels are high enough, and since a No Junction game doesn't have stuff like Rare Item and Mug messing with your chances, most fights should yield an Energy Crystal or two.
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Big Bang @ Feb. 06 2003,13:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Recently Desh started the no-junction game. I decided I would give it a try as well. Basically, it's a lot harder than it seems, I was wondering if you have tried it, and if you have any tips.. Also wondering if there is any other way to get pulse ammo besides refining from energy crystals?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    No, I've never actually tried one. I do have a few tips, though. Set the ATB to 'wait', and keep your levels LOW. That way the enemies won't level up with you. High-level enemies know some bad tricks, and you definitely won't want that. Make sure you only fight enemies that can give you weapon-refine items, make sure everyone gets (almost) equal amounts of EXP when you do so, and learn your Limit breaks ASAP. Remember: no junction means no Card Refine. Be sure to also do the Chocobo sidequests, which ears you some nice Stones.

As for Pulse Ammo, you can get 20 of those by refining one Power Generator. There's a very small chance of obtaining one of those of you defeat (NOT Mug) a Blitz. I got one at 5th try, though. If you do the second Laguna dream perfectly (open all hatches at the Excavation Site aka Lunatic Pandora), you'll find a Power Generator in Pandora in disc 3, when Zell is your mapman. Lastly, when you play as Irvine and are asked to choose instruments for the FH concert, you can actually walk away and explore FH. go to the Grease Monkey's house, talk to everyone (twice or thrice), leave the house, and re-enter. Depending on how you played the game (I kind of forgot how this works), there will either be a Galbadian Commander or a normal Soldier in the house. He'll be unconcious, and when you examine him, you'll get Ammo. The normal soldier will get you some basic ammo, but by examining the Commander, you can get 5 of each type of Ammo.

• Daemon SadiDaemon Sadi Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    i Forgot about the whole no mug thing confused.gif sorry... and i believe u can get something from a behemoth that somehow makes pulse ammo or maybe im crazy... also that wouldnt help much because of the no junction thing.......
  • MalangoMalango Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Plus ammo refine from energy crystals. your best bet is to fight Elynoyles like mr vittles said

The best advise for a Non-junction game is to get quistis on your team and learn her all her best limits.

Limits breaks are the key to a non-juction game, smile.gif
    edited February 2003
    Thanks for your help guys...I'm almost caught up to Desh..Muauhahahhaha
  • OrsonFuryOrsonFury Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    I have sort of a silly easy question. I'm stuck flying around looking for the Elastoids that give up steel pipes. I have 3 currently, and need 3 more in order to activate Solomon's ring to get Doom Train. Any clear direction or place to find them would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
    "The man who sees an opportunity and does nothing is asleep with his eyes open" - Fremen wisdom, Dune: House Corrino, Pg. 472
    edited February 2003
    Forget Elastoids - they only appear in Laguna sequences. Go fight some Wendigos in the forests around Timber and Dollet. Mugging and killing will net you tons of Steel Pipes.

As for Pulse Ammo, after chatting about this with Desh on MSN a few days ago I was sadly informed that you aren't allowed to refine Ammo in a No Junction game. Why you ask? Because in a true No Junction game, you cannot junction GFs. Therefore they cannot gain AP. Therefore they don't learn anything new without using an item. Ammo-RF isn't available from an item and Ifrit doesn't start with it learned, therefore you can never refine Ammo. Therefore the only Pulse Ammo available is from a minor 'sidequest' in FH with Irvine, and that doesn't yield enough to forge Lioheart.

Now I'm faced with a dilemma. This task suddenly seems very challenging, meaning I don't want to bother with it, yet the difficulty of the challenge is so tempting...
  • OrsonFuryOrsonFury Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Thanks Vittles! My poor FFVIII has been collecting dust for a few years now, and i'm determined to finally beat it this year.
    "The man who sees an opportunity and does nothing is asleep with his eyes open" - Fremen wisdom, Dune: House Corrino, Pg. 472
  • XIONXION Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    WOW,Final Fantasy 8 just alot better for me. I have just one question in what part of the game does it say that raine is a leonheart?
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (XION @ Feb. 09 2003,23:17)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I have just one question in what part of the game does it say that raine is a "<span class="spoiler">leonheart</span>"?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Nowhere actually, but "<span class="spoiler">since it's not Laguna's last name, we can assume it's Raine's. Rinny isn't called Rinoa Caraway either, she's called Rinoa Heartilly-- Julia's last name. So either all kids have their mother's last names in FFVIII, or Rin and Squally are just exceptions.</span>"
  • The AthenianThe Athenian Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    If anyone still cares, I just revived an old "Rinoa/Ultimecia" topic in the Final Fantasy forum. It's suffering the effects of old age and GF amnesia, but it still gets the point across.
  • amy_su88amy_su88 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Well I'm not sure if anyone has asked this yet or not but I was wondering if I could get some tips on fighting when Rinoa is absorbed into Adel. I just keep getting killed lol so some help would be nice ^.^
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    There's no real trick to that fight other than having good Junctions and not using attacks that hit both Adel and Rinoa. Have someone heal Rinoa every couple rounds with Cur* or an item, and just keep bashing away at Adel with single-target attacks. If you've got Meltdown, cast it on Adel to reduce her defense power. One good strategy is to use Zell's limit break and just alternate between Punch Rush and Booya (or anything else, really, I just find those to be quickest). That'll do a ton of damage to Adel after Meltdown, especially if your HP is low enough to get the 12-second Duel time, and you don't run the risk of hurting Rinoa like you would if you used Squall's Renzokuken (Fated Circle hits everyone, and I'm pretty sure a few others do too).
  • amy_su88amy_su88 Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    Thanks lol but I'm kinda stuck with a party consisting of Squally, Quistis and Irvine and can't change it because that's my only save.. But I'll try some of the other tips and see how I do. smile.gif
    edited February 2003
    Well, you can draw and cast Regen on Rinoa, and that will help a bit. With Irvine, just pump her full of Limits, using your best ammo. With Quistis, cast any defensive limits you have, and have Squall just hit her with physical attacks.

Junction your best spell to your magic defence, and attack.

And whatever you do, don't junction Holy to your attack. It heals Adel for some odd reason.
    Walken1.jpg
    edited February 2003
    Don't forget to Mug Rinoa! She's got 8 Megalixirs. Adel also has a Samantha Soul, but the comedic potential behind mugging Rinoa is priceless.

Squall: I love you honey and I shall save you! But could you just hold on a second while I grab those potions with my sword...
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Captain Vittles @ Feb. 24 2003,20:14)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Don't forget to Mug Rinoa! ?She's got 8 Megalixirs. ?Adel also has a Samantha Soul, but the comedic potential behind mugging Rinoa is priceless.

Squall: I love you honey and I shall save you! ?But could you just hold on a second while I grab those potions with my sword...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    LOL. ?That's funny!

I mugged her myself. sarcasm.gif ?I couldn't let the opportunity to get some Megalixers pass.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
  • MalangoMalango Member Full Members
    edited February 2003
    LOL yeah I always steal off rinoa.

well i'm a steal freak, i always steal off bosses, I'm playing FFIX again at the moment, and they all have (mostly) 3 items which I HAVE! to steal laugh.gif

Beatrix is hell, it's soooo hard to steal all three items. smile.gif
    edited February 2003
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Malango @ Feb. 24 2003,18:50)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I'm playing FFIX again at the moment, and they all have (mostly) 3 items which I HAVE! to steal laugh.gif

Beatrix is hell, it's soooo hard to steal all three items. smile.gif[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In that case, don't even try to get the third item from Hill Gigas. I tried for 30 minutes once and still didn't succeed.

As for Adel.... if Squall does ~7000 damage (or more), don't hesistate to use Renzokuken. If it kills Adel, the game continues even if you do 9999 damage to Rinoa.

My own personal strategy for her involves Irvine, Aura, and 5 or 6 AP ammo. Adel boom.
  • fergus the lesserfergus the lesser Member Full Members
    edited March 2003
    1. where is the answer of the riddle of teh monkey...

2. why is it that ragnarok is soooo slooooowww unlike its other ff counterparts..

3. are there any secret ability for quistis...

4. why is it that chocobos are useless on ff8...