If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forum Rules. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.
Welcome to RPGamer's new forums running under Vanilla Forums! If you're run into any odd or strange issues after our software migration please see this thread for details

Get the Jump on FFX-2 Details

CastomelCastomel MemberFull Members
edited December 2002 in Latest Updates
So maybe, just maybe, the Lara Croft worrying can end now? Nah.. I know you guys... You stick to controversy like white on rice. Besides, Square did go the obvious sex appeal route by showing rough n tumble guns mode Yuna, as opposed to frowsy summoner Yuna, so they're still sufficiently evil, I guess.
</ramble>
Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!

Comments

• Faceless ManFaceless Man Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Looking forward to this game, whether or not it's just a money rip off thingy bobber.
  • SDHeroSDHero Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Wow. Square may not completely screw this game up... In any case, I consider it a good thing that the more information that comes out, the less I'm worried. *Goes off to wonder if you could put Yuna's 'Lara Croft' costume on Rikku...*
  • little tigerlittle tiger Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Man... first, Square rewrites Bahamut Lagoon and calls it FFX (come on... Holy Dragons are Aeons, Dragnar is Summoner, Yoyo is Yuna, Sauzer is Seymour, Alex is Yevon), now in the sequel they rip themselves off even more by calling the Airship Celsius!? FYI, the Airship in BL was called Farenheit...

Oh what the heck, we all know we're gonna buy it anyway tounge.gif
  • XerainXerain Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Actully the first time I played BL I named the ship Celcius because (1) Farenhieght wouldn't fit (2) I dind't want to abbreviate and (3) Metric > "Standard".
    <span style=\'color:#009966\'>I miss my old prettiful sig.</span>
  • RicoRico Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Eh, Sauzer and Seymour have some very different motivations. Sauzer's much more legitimately noble.
  • AkuKuroMajikkuAkuKuroMajikku New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    YAY! Okie, seeing that Yuna's "Lara Croft" outfit doesn't have to be permanate, the only thing I can hope for now is that her outfits arn't out of Lara Croft's closet, either. ^^'

But, I'm trying to keep an optimistic view on the sequal, so I'll just say YAY! again. biggrin.gif
  • CloudCloud Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    The Airship changing into a robot form has my attention.
  • MystalicMystalic Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Castomel, I agree so much. Most of these people just want to say this or that, but in the end, Square delivers.

Their sales prove it.
  • Captain VittlesCaptain Vittles Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"(3) Metric > "Standard".[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Standard? What the hell is Standard? What Americans use is called the Imperial system of measurement, IIRC. There's nothing standard about it. If anything should be called standard, it's Metric, seeing as how everything is standardized and all but 2 countries use it.

On topic: I like yellow bikinis and job systems, so I'm looking forward to this game. tounge.gif
  • AkuKuroMajikkuAkuKuroMajikku New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    We also call it standard....
  • Mister FizbanMister Fizban New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Can anyone say 'World of Ruin'? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""only through collecting the spheres can Yuna and her companions find out the true nature of the world of Spira."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This would have implications that the world in FFX (2) would or might dramatically change as would the world in FFVI did somewhere in its event-timeline. Would they recycle the -World of Ruin- idiosyncrasy of VI, knowing the sixth installment got much praise?

It would be clever to see the planet get ripped apart again in superb PS2 graphic form. In this case, Recycling is very good.
  • CastomelCastomel Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    I'm not too sure, to be honest... My friend (who translated this article for me) seemed to get the impression that the exploration in FFX-2 would be a lot less linear than FFX (hence the WoR reference). Still, you may just be right when you draw that parallel there. As for the goodness of it, I'd have to agree with you- a lot of games I've played recently have been a little too "point a to point b" for my liking, an element of games that the World of Ruin forever... ruined me for.
    *flees before bad pun sinks in*
    Whoa! Slow down there, tubby! You're not on the moon yet!
  • X357V2IOX357V2IO New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Is there going to be a voice-changing system as well?
    or am I the only one that hated her voice? I'll have to admit... the game doesn't sound very interesting.
  • CyberSkullCyberSkull Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    What! Robot? Gears!? tounge.gif Heh. I wonder if there will be something like gear battles from Xenogears.
    Sincerely,
    Your Dread Lord
    FF6-CyberSkull_Medium_Sig.gif
    Un-Certified Looney, Heretic @ Large, etc…
  • bluezero02bluezero02 Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    I just disliked the way the jaw movement didn't really line up with the voices. The voice acting itself wasn't bad, and I felt Yuna's quiet, resolved, voice fit her character.
  • Mister FizbanMister Fizban New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    Hmm...
    The first time I played to the "<span class="spoiler">Floating Continent </span>" objective in FFVI, I thought it was gonna be cool in that I would stop this "<span class="spoiler">Kefka</span>" guy and then progress with dealing with whatever Square had left to throw. I had no idea the "<span class="spoiler">Continent</span>" place was going to fall apart and bombard the "<span class="spoiler">fuggin' planet</span>" -larger place. If that wasn't enough, Square had to give me the chills in using "<span class="spoiler">godly forces that bind the World of Balance</span>" and have the SNES play such a dramatic background music. Not a happy time for NPCs... ?They just went sadistic with the "<span class="spoiler">end-of-the-world-time</span>" event. Oh my Doom.

Would you believe that Square hopes to reincarnate the same shock-therapy into FFX-2? If this true, then there's still some hearty goodness for every fan.
  • hhallahhhhallahh Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Mister Fizban @ Nov. 18 2002,17:23)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Can anyone say 'World of Ruin'? [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE""only through collecting the spheres can Yuna and her companions find out the true nature of the world of Spira."[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

This would have implications that the world in FFX (2) would or might dramatically change as would the world in FFVI did somewhere in its event-timeline. Would they recycle the -World of Ruin- idiosyncrasy of VI, knowing the sixth installment got much praise?

It would be clever to see the planet get ripped apart again in superb PS2 graphic form. In this case, Recycling is very good.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    >Standard? What the hell is Standard? What Americans use is called the Imperial system of measurement, IIRC. There's nothing standard about it. If anything should be called standard, it's Metric, seeing as how everything is standardized and all but 2 countries use it.<

Actually, the whole reason the English Standard system exists is because it is standard. The only reason why metric is any bit more desirable than ES in for scientific calculation. For practical calculation, ES is superior because it was created for the purpose of practical measurement... for example, when cooking, it's much easier to think in terms of quarts, cups, etc. than in "100 ml" and "60 ml" and such... that's why ES evolved the way it did, and why metric will inevitably degrade back into a system resembling the ES when the general populace get ahold of it. :D

Oh, and I see nothing World of Ruin~esque about this news. o_o; Like every FF game ever has delved into the origins of its world, so it makes perfect sense for FFX to go there too.
  • CloudCloud Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bluezero02 @ Nov. 18 2002,20:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I just disliked the way the jaw movement didn't really line up with the voices. The voice acting itself wasn't bad, and I felt Yuna's quiet, resolved, voice fit her character.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You dont watch anime do you? Its called dubbing. The mouths were made to fit Japanese words, and they just went back and put english dubbing onto it.

I also liked the voices.
  • Options
    edited November 2002
    "...Square did go the obvious sex appeal route by showing rough n tumble guns mode Yuna, as opposed to frowsy summoner Yuna..."

Sex appeal sells, let's all face it. ?I might not like it at times because I feel it's degrading in some cases (think Lulu hanging out of her clothes) ?but at other times it makes me proud to be female. ?Sure, Tifa's got abnormal proportions, but she can kick enemy arse. ?Tifa and all the other Final Fantasy leading ladies keep the story going. ?I for one am glad to see a woman in the driver's seat at last. ?wink.gif
  • LordBrianLordBrian Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloud @ Nov. 18 2002,22:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (bluezero02 @ Nov. 18 2002,20:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"I just disliked the way the jaw movement didn't really line up with the voices. The voice acting itself wasn't bad, and I felt Yuna's quiet, resolved, voice fit her character.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You dont watch anime do you? ?Its called dubbing. ?The mouths were made to fit Japanese words, and they just went back and put english dubbing onto it.

I also liked the voices.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This point doesn't make the fact that the voice doesn't match the lips any less annoying or disorienting. There are very few good anime dubs out there (I'm pretty sure the number of "accepted" good dubs can be counted on one hand), and if the Japanese version of the voices matched the lips, then there's really no excuse for the English voices not to. Note, I don't know if the Japanese voices did or not, but I somehow get the feeling that they did.
  • MonCapitan2002MonCapitan2002 Avatar Captured Full Members
    edited November 2002
    I just hope that this time around they put in a world map. Suikoden III doesn't have a world map either and this irks me. As for a job system(in FFX-2) if it is in the form of FFT's job system I'm all for it. I do find the transforming airship intriguing.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited November 2002
    I asked my wise friend once why they decided to turn Yuna into a ****...

... he wisely replied that they did so so that they could use her in the inevitable "FF Extreme Beach Volleyball."

So wise.
    edited November 2002
    Just because Yuna is wearing less clothing doesn't mean she is now a ****. I find it disturbing that whenever someone is dressed up in revealing outfits it's automatically assumed that they are whores.
    LordBilbanes.png
    Please help my city grow. Estharopolis - Population | Industry | Transportation | Security | Environment | Business
    edited November 2002
    Ah, you know what I meant. ??*

They accented her as a "sex object". There we go.
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LordBrian @ Nov. 18 2002,19:27)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Note, I don't know if the Japanese voices did or not, but I somehow get the feeling that they did.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually, I've heard they match up a little better, but it's still pretty poor. Square's vaunted engine for that didn't quite cut it, I guess.
    edited November 2002
    Oh. In that case nevermind. By the way how do you quote.
    LordBilbanes.png
  • bluezero02bluezero02 Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Cloud @ Nov. 18 2002,19:04)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"You dont watch anime do you? ?Its called dubbing. ?The mouths were made to fit Japanese words, and they just went back and put english dubbing onto it.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    In a game that aims for realism, such mistakes stand out. Look at Soul Reaver 2 for a good example of mouth movement. (I'm not entirely certain if that was made there or here...)

If you're going to put all this money into making your characters look realistic, you should spend some time dealing with the mechanics of speach.
  • EvaNgeLioNEvaNgeLioN Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Rico @ Nov. 18 2002,19:38)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Square's vaunted engine for that didn't quite cut it, I guess.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Actually Square's engine would have cut it perfectly, however, changing the mouth-movements to fit with English dialogue would take a ton of work w/ the redoing of each and every line spoken in the game, which in essance would have just delayed FFX that much longer. Personally I would rather have the game a ton sooner and have bad lip-synchronisation then have it arrive months later.
  • HaDeeDHaDeeD New Member Full Members
    edited November 2002
    I think this will be a far better game than FFX cuz they are using the feedbacks on FFX to avoid things that people hated in the upcoming FFX-2. I would for sure get this game whatever anybody says about it.

thumb up for you Square. keep going smile.gif
    edited November 2002
    </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (EvaNgeLioN @ Nov. 18 2002,21:47)</td></tr><tr><td class="QUOTE"Actually Square's engine would have cut it perfectly, however, changing the mouth-movements to fit with English dialogue would take a ton of work w/ the redoing of each and every line spoken in the game, which in essance would have just delayed FFX that much longer. ?Personally I would rather have the game a ton sooner and have bad lip-synchronisation then have it arrive months later.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    You seem to have missed the point. FFX didn't sync up all that well in the original Japanese either, from what I've heard.